2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

Sorry, my misunderstanding!

The way it's going, we may get an announcement from Yealimi before Nelly.

Agree.

Hana Bank will early terminate/DUMP Yealimi for a better ROI with the Zhangster.

Heck....Hana Bank might dump sore loser Minjee too.

Rose will be a happy gal on Jan 1/2022.🤣

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Well a long anticipated story on the citizenship front for Yuka Saso:

https://bit.ly/3CIeYlv

Yuka%20Saso.jpg

We discussed this "elaborately" when she won the US Open --- all I can say is, it was "obvious" (though disappointing to me)...  A secret that was not really a secret then (at least to me 🤖)

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Well a long anticipated story on the citizenship front for Yuka Saso:

https://bit.ly/3CIeYlv

Yuka%20Saso.jpg

IMO....obviously a monetary decision.

Gotta believe with the help of an agent(s),,,,Dad put out feelers where the most money would come from.

Considering this is a monetary decision vs. something from the 'heart'...will the Japanese business community put a lot of money in front of Saso...and how receptive will Japanese fans embrace Yuka?

I guess on the business side...it's all based on the $$$'s.... so it's easier to take the emotion out of the decision making and base decisions on FACTS.

Do I have the below correct?

Yuka was born in the Philippines.....did the family at sometime move to Japan?...then dad thought it would be better to relocate back to the Philippines for Yuka's golf because of better access to golf faculties and it would be more cheaper to train her in the Philippines?  

Edited by KBong
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 4:48 AM, fredogolfer said:

When I visited Vancouver in 2013, I visited Dr. Sun Yat Sen Chinese garden which is nice but overpriced at 12 CDN per visit.  

Dr. Sun's garden is a DUMP...and IMO a rip off...I can't believe some take wedding pictures there.

IMO...Van City's Chinatown is a DUMP too...it's so small....not much variety and closes down early.

I only go there to get some SLOP from Kent's Kitchen...I was downtown this morning and went to pick up some of the SLOP.

I was also not really impressed with the Chinatown in San Fran.

I've been to NYC as a kid...but not to Chinatown....but from some food bloggers...NYC's Chinatown looks pretty big with tons of variety...a lot of slop holes with really cheap & GREAT food.

Edited by KBong

1 hour ago, KBong said:

Gotta believe with the help of an agent(s),,,,Dad put out feelers where the most money would come from.

Considering this is a monetary decision vs. something from the 'heart'...will the Japanese business community put a lot of money in front of Saso...and how receptive will Japanese fans embrace Yuka?

I guess on the business side...it's all based on the $$$'s.... so it's easier to take the emotion out of the decision making and base decisions on FACTS.

Yuka was born in the Philippines.....did the family at sometime move to Japan?...then dad thought it would be better to relocate back to the Philippines for Yuka's golf because of better access to golf faculties and it would be more cheaper to train her in the Philippines?  

She is quite popular in Japan.  Perhaps not on the scale of someone like Hinako or Nasa, but she is followed.  At the USWO, she was giving interviews in English and to the Japanese media too.  Yuka also has a couple of Japanese sponsors as well -- Muira and a sword/katana forging company.

Yes she was born in the Philippines and for part of her youth she lived in Japan.  Her home course in the Philippines is Canlunbang Golf Club, but Japan offered her much more support golf-wise in terms of more practice facilities, and junior programs.

Another factor -- Passports.  The Japanese passport can go to 144 (?) countries without a visa which will obviously be an advantage to her when traveling on the LPGA.  Unfortunately, the Philippine Passport requires visa's from many countries.

Here she is being welcomed back by Mika Miyazawa.

image.png.c39d9e601171a69fd12a1b261a8ab65d.png

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KBong said:

I'll have @Golf Dino answer the Japan side more but even Shibuno hangs out from time to time with Yuka - so she's not "new" to them and well accepted.  I'd say there was a pull from both Philippines and Japan and clearly $$$ talks.  

I'm more curious to see whether ICTSI pull out from sponsoring her as well as the MVP Foundation etc.  I'm pretty sure those are not insignificant amounts based on what I know from other golfers that these guys sponsor.  Needless to say, it's already stirring up some "controversy" in the sports desks in Manila as I write this 🤪... (I'm thinking of adding fuel to the fire to this back in Manila but nah, I'll take a backseat for now... where's the popcorn eating GIF?)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KBong said:

Van City's Chinatown is a DUMP too...it's so small....not much variety and closes down early.

You know though, that Vancouver and the suburbs are pretty much the new "chinatown" with significant Chinese populations in these places and are the majority in Richmond (which is immediately south of Vancouver and where the International Airport is located).

San Francisco, New York, etc. as you know, much of their Chinatowns are not like they once were as more of the populations have moved out and beyond the borders of those areas.

Edited by Golf Dino

48 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

You know though, that Vancouver and the suburbs are pretty much the new "chinatown" with significant Chinese populations in these places and are the majority in Richmond (which is immediately south of Vancouver and where the International Airport is located).

San Francisco, New York, etc. as you know, much of their Chinatowns are not like they once were as more of the populations have moved out and beyond the borders of those areas.

Van City's Chinatown still S*CKS.

If you're familiar with Toronto's Chinatown....it has expended from near city hall and extended to the Dundas & Spadina area.

My parents meet in the "original" Toronto Chinatown near city hall.

Yes, I know how the Chinese have spread out in Van City/GVRD...just like in Toronto/GTA.

The Agincourt (Asiancourt) & parts of Markham are like Richmond.

No 3 Rd in Richmond and the Costco in Richmond are China Central.🤣

I rarely go to Richmond.....unless necessary...if I'm in the area...I'll drop in to ParTee Golf to see all the overpriced high end golf clubs and apparel.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KBong said:

So if Japan offered Yuka good support, why did the family move to the Philippines? 

Japan did not prior to her joining the JLPGA... Yuka is a product of jungolf Philippines too (though not as "long/involved" as Bianca). 

Yuka moved to the Philippines bec it's cheaper to play golf there, find golf coaches there etc (Carito Villaroman, Bianca's coach, was formerly coach of Yuka too. )

I'm really curious to see how much $ (or yen lol) in sponsorship difference there is for Yuka...  We will find out eventually, but will have to wait lol.  On a positive note Bianca needs to perform to get some of that funding that may now partly be diverted to her - time for her to step up and get her card for 2022!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KBong said:

Van City's Chinatown still S*CKS.

If you're familiar with Toronto's Chinatown....it has expended from near city hall and extended to the Dundas & Spadina area.

My parents meet in the "original" Toronto Chinatown near city hall.

Yes, I know how the Chinese have spread out in Van City/GVRD...just like in Toronto/GTA.

The Agincourt (Asiancourt) & parts of Markham are like Richmond.

No 3 Rd in Richmond and the Costco in Richmond are China Central.🤣

I rarely go to Richmond.....unless necessary...if I'm in the area...I'll drop in to ParTee Golf to see all the overpriced high end golf clubs and apparel.

I actually don't like downtown TO chinatown, I prefer driving to Markham / R Hill (don't like Scarborough either lol). 

Now NYC Chinatown is perfect! Having lived there, I loved it there - got my haircut, beef noodle etc ... The fact it was beside little Italy made it a bit odd but it's OK. Canal St was where I'd get some stuff like the old lau fu tzi comic books lol.  Not a lot of Japanese stuff there though.  Korea "block" in midtown is where I'd go get mode Japanese stuff...

Again though I prefer Japantown in SFO but I'm biased lol.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

On a positive note Bianca needs to perform to get some of that funding that may now partly be diverted to her - time for her to step up and get her card for 2022!

Yes, she needs to be focused and prepared.  I think she will qualify again, but she needs to improve on her priority so that she gets more opportunities to play events.

Her mother flew over from the Philippines a couple of days ago.  I suspect that it is for the Christmas Holiday season, but also to help out Bianca so that she can stay focused on her golf and Q-Series.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Yes, she needs to be focused and prepared.  I think she will qualify again, but she needs to improve on her priority so that she gets more opportunities to play events.

Her mother flew over from the Philippines a couple of days ago.  I suspect that it is for the Christmas Holiday season, but also to help out Bianca so that she can stay focused on her golf and Q-Series.

I don't think she cherishes the Qseries whatsoever. Heck it's one where she'd wanna avoid if she could!

7 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

I don't think she cherishes the Qseries whatsoever. Heck it's one where she'd wanna avoid if she could!

Never said that she cherishes the Q-Series at all.   Having her mother here though, can help "settle" Bianca down as in all she has to do is focus on Golf (she said that she will try to Monday Qualify for Pelican next week) and producing her best finish at Q-Series.

Edited by Golf Dino

5 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Now NYC Chinatown is perfect!

The fact it was beside little Italy made it a bit odd but it's OK.

Canal St was where I'd get some stuff

All this talk about NYC, Canal Street, The Chinese, The Italians...got me thinking about The Year of the Dragon....I LOVED the movie.

This scene below....reminds me of the above four.

BTW....LONG before this movie came out...back in HS....my Triad name was:

Chin Louie.🤣

I'm too young.....but I would have loved to audition for Joey Tai.

My mom hated it when I used to call some Chinese managers I knew at some restaurants or bakeries..."Dai Low"...in order to gain preferential treatment.

Mom said I was being disrespectful because I was calling them a "Gangster Boss"

I said I was calling them "Big Boss"🤣

Edited by KBong

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

I actually don't like downtown TO chinatown, I prefer driving to Markham / R Hill (don't like Scarborough either lol). 

I LUV the Chinese SLOP houses in Scarborough too.

Hmmmm....seems like you are high maintenance and a FANCY BOY who prefers to go to the Chinese restaurants in Markham & Richmond Hill that cater to the Nouveau Riche Chinese Mainland POSERS.🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Now NYC Chinatown is perfect!

Canal St was where I'd get some stuff like the old lau fu tzi comic books lol. 

LMAO

I LUV Old Master Q...and my fav is Big Potato.

Back in the 60's as a kid...I got a monthly subscription to get Old Master Q comic books shipped straight from HK.

I think it might have been 15 cents per comic book?

But I'm a Chinese POSER/banana....and I can't read Chinese....but many of the comic strips could be understood as they were just pictures.

In 2002, while in HK....I bought an Old Master Q & Big Potato coin bank...they're sitting on the corner of my desk.

spacer.png

Edited by KBong

9 hours ago, KBong said:

I LUV the Chinese SLOP houses in Scarborough too.

Hmmmm....seems like you are high maintenance and a FANCY BOY who prefers to go to the Chinese restaurants in Markham & Richmond Hill that cater to the Nouveau Riche Chinese Mainland POSERS.🤣

I told ya I'm not Chinese but prefer the cleanliness of the Japanese 😛

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, KBong said:

LMAO

I LUV Old Master Q...and my fav is Big Potato.

Back in the 60's as a kid...I got a monthly subscription to get Old Master Q comic books shipped straight from HK.

I think it might have been 15 cents per comic book?

But I'm a Chinese POSER/banana....and I can't read Chinese....but many of the comic strips could be understood as they were just pictures.

In 2002, while in HK....I bought an Old Master Q & Big Potato coin bank...they're sitting on the corner of my desk.

spacer.png

You don't need to know Chinese to "read" that stuff lol.  And as you know Japanese kanji is exactly the same meaning in Chinese..  Diff pronunciation but same meaning so you can decipher a bit, even more so with this "comic book"

Speaking of Japanese, seems like these 2 major winners paired together had too much "fun" on the back 9 ending at -1 after round 1 at the Toto... Heck both were -3 after 10 holes and stumbled in the end - funny how pairing them ended up like this lol. (They were having fun comparing notes, joking about their height etc etc - maybe too much fun lol) 

Let's see how much either can catch up to the leader tonight. Still early days as only 6 behind with 3 RNDS still

8 hours ago, Supermilo said:

I told ya I'm not Chinese but prefer the cleanliness of the Japanese 😛

Yup.

It closed but there was a GREAT cheapa** dumpling & noodle placed in Scarborough called Old Neighbourhood Restaurant.

It was FANTASTIC...but mom liked the food...but hated that the washrooms were NASTY.

She made sure to do all precautions to avoid the restrooms.🤣

Most Chinese restaurants have NASTY washrooms.

• Haha 1