2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

On 2/3/2021 at 5:01 AM, 18majors said:

There're so much more instant replays of women's tennis on YouTube than women's golf; it's embarassing.  As a result, it's so much easier to follow your favorites tennis players than golfers.

Mike Whan and LPGA have been doing it the wrong way; they don't understand the art of promoting players to become superstars.  It's much easier to sell tournaments to sponsors if your players are superstars.  For example, the way LPGA treats Nelly Korda is a shame.  Fans are shown more Christie Kerr or Stacy Lewis in early rounds of most tournaments than Nelly; even idiots know that's not the way to grow the popularity of your games.

Only Augusta has the clout to dictate how their tournaments are broadcast.  And that is down to the fact that they still permit CBS to broadcast for free in return having to accept the authority of ANGC in terms of broadcast standards.

4 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Only Augusta has the clout to dictate how their tournaments are broadcast.  And that is down to the fact that they still permit CBS to broadcast for free in return having to accept the authority of ANGC in terms of broadcast standards.

My main point is that LPGA under Mike Whan has never made it a priority to nurture superstars.  He inherited Michelle Wie, but has never cerated one.

I don't care which networks produce the broadcasts, they show Tiger Woods and they showed Michelle Wie.

Edited by 18majors

16 hours ago, 18majors said:

My main point is that LPGA under Mike Whan has never made it a priority to nurture superstars.  He inherited Michelle Wie, but has never cerated one.

I don't care which networks produce the broadcasts, they show Tiger Woods and they showed Michelle Wie.

Lexi and Brooke get a lot of airtime even when they're basically out of contention. In the past year Maria has gotten more than her share of broadcast time. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

39 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lexi and Brooke get a lot of airtime even when they're basically out of contention. In the past year Maria has gotten more than her share of broadcast time. 

Agreed.

Lexi and Brooke are a handful of LPGA stars that're well known, but they clearly don't move the needles like Michelle Wie.  The highest TV rating Lexi got was when she dueled with Michelle in the desert at 2014 ANA, but the number fell way short of Michelle Wie's 2014 USWO.

Michelle Wie's USWO drew 1.6 million, which is still LPGA's gold standard.

My point is why not gamble on younger stars earlier to find out who will stick  TV producers may or may not listen, but they'll continue to show the names they kbow if they don't receive new input from LPGA.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Agreed.

Lexi and Brooke are a handful of LPGA stars that're well known, but they clearly don't move the needles like Michelle Wie.  The highest TV rating Lexi got was when she dueled with Michelle in the desert at 2014 ANA, but the number fell way short of Michelle Wie's 2014 USWO.

My point is why not gamble on younger stars earlier to find out who will stick  TV producers may or may not listen, but they'll continue to show the names they kbow if they don't receive new input from LPGA.

A few problems with that. First, the "featured" player(s) has to be in contention. If the player is 8 strokes back with the final groups making the turn, is the coverage going to keep cutting back to the "star"? I think many serious fans would have an issue with that. 

Who controls the pairings for first two rounds? If the featured player(s) is always given a preferred tee time based on the broadcast schedule, I would think many of the other players would be rightfully upset. As for us fans, do we really want to see the "chosen ones" every Thursday and Friday regardless of how they're playing? 

Fundamentally, creating artificial stars is problematic. I'd rather leave it to the players themselves. Play great, and the interest will come, along with TV coverage. 

• Like 4

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

54 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

A few problems with that. First, the "featured" player(s) has to be in contention. If the player is 8 strokes back with the final groups making the turn, is the coverage going to keep cutting back to the "star"? I think many serious fans would have an issue with that. 

Who controls the pairings for first two rounds? If the featured player(s) is always given a preferred tee time based on the broadcast schedule, I would think many of the other players would be rightfully upset. As for us fans, do we really want to see the "chosen ones" every Thursday and Friday regardless of how they're playing? 

Fundamentally, creating artificial stars is problematic. I'd rather leave it to the players themselves. Play great, and the interest will come, along with TV coverage. 

We're talking about the first two rounds, the final two rounds have always reserved for the contenders.

For a player like Nelly Korda, I knew she'd be good before she struck her first ball as a professional.  Why not gave her early exposures by systematically putting her in featured groups in the early rounds to nurture her.  That way, her 2018 win in Taiwan wouldn't be such a surprise and her value to LPGA could've been much amplified.

It's like stock market, investors need to take calculated risks in order to seek alpha.

That seems to be what was happening with Maria Fassi since she joined the tour - featured in opening rounds, many of her shots shown even when nowhere near contention.  Someone has bet on her to be a “star”, and so far it’s not happening.  And I’ve read numerous complaints (probably including here) about this forced effort to make her a star. I agree that making an artificial star is problematic.  Players need to perform and earn exposure on broadcasts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BadgerLin said:

That seems to be what was happening with Maria Fassi since she joined the tour - featured in opening rounds, many of her shots shown even when nowhere near contention.  Someone has bet on her to be a “star”, and so far it’s not happening.  And I’ve read numerous complaints (probably including here) about this forced effort to make her a star. I agree that making an artificial star is problematic.  Players need to perform and earn exposure on broadcasts.

I like it when people make decisions and take bets.  

In venture capital community, it's OK to fail ten times but a single success could return 1,000 times to make up all the differences.  The same is true here.

Maria could still turn out to be a good bet, one never knows.

Edited by 18majors

23 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I think we gotta remember the LPGA won't have the same numbers of camera's on site as a PGA event.  The Final 3 groups on the weekend and probably 3 featured groups Thurs and Fri.  You also have some stationary camera's at certain places and solo camera men running around filming everybody else. 

To me golf has always been the sport where IMO you earn the coverage you get (for the most part) on Thurs and Fri.  Either through your play week in and week out forcing the camera to be on you based on results or you do something  special that week or day and force the camera on you.

On the weekends with resources available I'm fine with the coverage, although last event they did try to make Lexi a thing when there was nothing there.  Brooke's coverage Sun. wasn't out of line, they showed her twice both  times making a birdie.  I have no problem showing any player who is scoring.  My only real issue with coverage of players outside the leaders on the weekend is they basically only are showing their putts, sometimes (most times) the approach is more valuable to the viewer than the putt.  Basically any player outside the final two groups you get to see them putt lol.  It gets boring quick but also probably due to limited resources.  The weekend though are for the leaders or with the chance to win.  Wider net on Sat. and more focused by Sun. that's who I wanna see anyways. 

The coverage can always be better and I think all the freaking commercials are the bigger problem lol.  I don't think you can create an Aura around hype for a player on your tour, yes exposed the viewer to the up and comers but they have to earn it.  Whole Michelle Wie thing (from a golfing standpoint) is more tragic than anything.  IMO there's only 2 ways to blow up your tour 1) A truly dominant player, like Yani Tseng level of domination (when she was rolling)  2)  Incredible competition, like 6-8 players winning everything week in and week out all in the top 10 all the time.  Knowing you're gonna have a great battle among the best every week is an appealing draw.  Number 2 is the most likely case for the LPGA IMO.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2021 at 12:21 PM, 18majors said:

Agreed.

Are you sure 1.6m tuned in to see Michelle? Maybe the wanted to see if Stacy was gonna catch her, and tuned in for Stacy? 

Maybe die hard golf fans weren't interested in watching the PGA Travelers championship that Sunday, I mean watching Kevin Streelman  hold off K.J. Choi and Segio Garcia isn't exactly edge of the seat action... 😉

On 2/6/2021 at 2:16 PM, 18majors said:

We're talking about the first two rounds, the final two rounds have always reserved for the contenders.

For a player like Nelly Korda, I knew she'd be good before she struck her first ball as a professional.  Why not gave her early exposures by systematically putting her in featured groups in the early rounds to nurture her.  That way, her 2018 win in Taiwan wouldn't be such a surprise and her value to LPGA could've been much amplified.

It's like stock market, investors need to take calculated risks in order to seek alpha.

Nurturing a virtual nobody is also taking a huge risk, Cheyene Woods comes to mind to a point...Taylormade with Sierra Brooks and Maria Fassi as well.
A super star will prove themselves on the course, not by overexposure of air time, once proven they have the goods week in and week out then plaster their face all over the place.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BadgerLin said:

Maybe the amounts of media attention has dulled her game, it ain't easy to live up to all the media hype. 

Edited by ChronicSlicer

On 2/4/2021 at 11:55 PM, fredogolfer said:

She changes clothing sponsors a lot just like her caddies. What has it been Callaway, MCKAYSON, Lululemon and now some random brand named Renoma? I had high hopes for her partnering with an A list brand like Lululemon rather than a brand that is not well known outside of Korea. Too bad Lydia, sorry Tina saw $$$ instead of potential long term growth with an A list brand. Lydia isn’t a looker and is actually average by many standards. I am no looker myself but I’m not posing in a campaign that is trying to sell me as a sexy athlete. Lululemon stands for an active woman on the go who needs clothing that can adapt in many situations. Renoma seems like a company that makes cosplay golf outfits to fulfill the fantasy of older Korean businessmen or 20 somethings living in their parents basement. 

Considering Lydia was born in Korea, maybe she wanted to give a Korean company a chance to grow their brand.
Unless you know a different clothing company named Renoma this stuff looks like pretty typical golf attire, I don't see the cosplay aspect http://www.renomasports.co.kr/main/main.php

This is the biggest news in a while, American companies stepping up!

This puts pressure on CP Women's Open, which traditionally has the largest purse outside of majors.

Also, it would be nice if an American company takes over ANA and doubles the purse to $6.2 million.

Cognizant partners with Presidents Cup and Founders Cup, doubles purse of marquee LPGA event

"Cognizant has signed a multi-year agreement with the LPGA. The 2021 edition will be played Oct. 7-10, away from its traditional spring date, and will move east from Phoenix to Mountain Ridge Country Club in West Caldwell, New Jersey, a Donald Ross-designed course that credits one-third of its rounds to female golfers."

"Chand said getting the Founders Cup on network TV is “absolutely critical” to the event’s growth and success. Doubling the purse was an easy decision.  Just purely statistically, looking at the numbers, $1.5 million, are you kidding me?” said Chand. “In celebration of something that was so incredible, so compelling, so groundbreaking? That just does not seem fair. So when we started talking to Mike Whan and the LPGA, that’s where I honed in on in a big way, which is what can we do to make the Founders Cup have a larger platform than it’s ever had in the past?  It’s a stirring start."

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Well, this may be enough to bring more attention to the LPGA for this event ... we will see.  But, yes, it is always one of the unkindest cuts of all ... to be bumped in a situation like this.

Not a complain, Annika has done as much for women's golf as anyone in the world!

By the way, the DriveOn campaign seems to catch on, 2021 coiuld be the turning point for LPGA purse.  They maybe able to cross $100 million milestone in a year or two.

Paula Creamer in the news!

The Great Franchisee: Paula Creamer and Shane Kennedy, Teriyaki Madness, Orlando

"12-time LPGA Tour winner Paula Creamer and her fiance Shane Kennedy, a former Minnesota Twins second-baseman, are among the newest franchisees with Teriyaki Madness*, a 75-plus unit Seattle-style teriyaki restaurant franchise that is establishing new locations in markets across the U.S. at a rapid clip."

2 hours ago, 18majors said:
It came at a cost, Haley Moore was bumped out of the field.

I'm over "participation trophy" culture, it's simple play better.  Haley had plenty opportunities to improve her standing last season (12 events).

As for Annika, I like it and think it will have impact on viewership, in a novelty type way.  No long sustained impact IMO, can be good though if a bunch of others step up and make it a competitive week.

Also, watching Annika at the Celeb event, I think she makes the cut and finishes from 20th-40th spot on the leader board.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stooch said:

I'm over "participation trophy" culture, it's simple play better.  Haley had plenty opportunities to improve her standing last season (12 events).

As for Annika, I like it and think it will have impact on viewership, in a novelty type way.  No long sustained impact IMO, can be good though if a bunch of others step up and make it a competitive week.

Also, watching Annika at the Celeb event, I think she makes the cut and finishes from 20th-40th spot on the leader board.

The fact is, Annika or not, Haley probably will be bumped by other players who sign up to play before deadline next Friday.

But, in Haley's defense, she couldn't have done anything to change her priority in 2020 because those results didn't count.  Her priority is what she started before the 2020 season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

This is the biggest news in a while, American companies stepping up!

This puts pressure on CP Women's Open, which traditionally has the largest purse outside of majors.

Also, it would be nice if an American company takes over ANA and doubles the purse to $6.2 million.

Cognizant partners with Presidents Cup and Founders Cup, doubles purse of marquee LPGA event

"Cognizant has signed a multi-year agreement with the LPGA. The 2021 edition will be played Oct. 7-10, away from its traditional spring date, and will move east from Phoenix to Mountain Ridge Country Club in West Caldwell, New Jersey, a Donald Ross-designed course that credits one-third of its rounds to female golfers."

"Chand said getting the Founders Cup on network TV is “absolutely critical” to the event’s growth and success. Doubling the purse was an easy decision.  Just purely statistically, looking at the numbers, $1.5 million, are you kidding me?” said Chand. “In celebration of something that was so incredible, so compelling, so groundbreaking? That just does not seem fair. So when we started talking to Mike Whan and the LPGA, that’s where I honed in on in a big way, which is what can we do to make the Founders Cup have a larger platform than it’s ever had in the past?  It’s a stirring start."

Huh? Cognizant is a major Indian outsourcing company. They may have a headquarters/presence in the U.S., but the majority of the workforce is located in India. I worked with the company for many years, and they're top notch, but they're definitely not an "American" company. 

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Huh? Cognizant is a major Indian outsourcing company. They may have a headquarters/presence in the U.S., but the majority of the workforce is located in India. I worked with the company for many years, and they're top notch, but they're definitely not an "American" company. 

Is IBM an American company?  IBM has more employees in India than in the US.

Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation

Glenpointe Centre West
500 Frank West Burr Boulevard
Teaneck, NJ 07666
United States
201-801-0233
http://www.cognizant.com

Sector(s)Technology
IndustryInformation Technology Services
Full Time Employees289,500