2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

We're thrilled to announce that the Dow GLBI will be increasing the 2022 tournament purse to $2.5 million!

Please keep in mind that Dow had gone "all in" when they first joined.  They have worked very hard at turning their event into something similar to the KPMG event with seminars, skills clinics, women's leadership and diversity leadership, and more.  As I understand it, and I readily admit I could have misremembered it or misunderstood it, but Dow was always intending to turn the event into more in terms of prize money, but that the Covid situation, like so many things, turned their plans on its head.

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

Obviously, it's Isabella Fierro's tournament to lose. 

Hmmm....you know @fredogolfer doesn't like her.

Isabella will have to wait.....the LPGA can only handle one Great Lady of Mexico descent at a time.

First it was:

Nancy...then Lorena...now POSER Fassi.

It's bad enough we have 2 Korda's on tour at the same time.

Just sayin.🤣

Edited by KBong

13 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

Though she may be of Mexican heritage, she is American -- as in grew up in the United States.  But, the one player you missed was Gaby Lopez.  🙂

Right....I forgot about Gaby....hmmmm......1/2 way through the 1st rd and Gaby is at the top of the leader board.

FWIW @fredogolfer said that Lorena, Gaby and Fassi come from families that have a bit of money.

BTW....In 2008, after the LPGA Portland event, I went to Golfsmith to pickup some clubs I was having built.

There was a couple from Mexico outside the store....a bunch of fans from Mexico came up to watch Lorena.

They told me that Lorena's family was not happy because Lorena was seeing an older married guy.

A year later we find out that older guy is the CEO of AeroMexico.

Have you been to the Portland LPGA event.?

I've been 5 times...CEGC is a great venue and Safeway was a great sponsor with some food and booze pavilions for the fans and free ticket promos.

I didn't like the Ghost at Pumpkin Ridge.

Fassi in particular is well off. Her father was a pretty good soccer player in his day and now he is an executive with one of Mexico’s most popular soccer teams. Fassi’s parents are both from Argentina. In fact, Fassi’s caddie is also from Argentina and when they speak Spanish she sounds more like an Argentine.

@KBong Have you been following what happened with tennis player Peng Shaui? Sounds like the CCP probably took her to be reeducated?

I wonder what would happen if the great Muni He, were to make some sort of allegation? Would they take her to be reeducated or just seize her parents assets or something along those lines?

3 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

@KBong Have you been following what happened with tennis player Peng Shaui? Sounds like the CCP probably took her to be reeducated?

I wonder what would happen if the great Muni He, were to make some sort of allegation? Would they take her to be reeducated or just seize her parents assets or something along those lines?

Yes

The world should boycott the Beijing Winter Olympics...we (Vancouver) can host them again.

Muni knows better than to publicly shame the PRC...yup her family and dad would 'disappear' and her dad's restaurants & hotel assets would be seized by the PRC.

Mollie couldn't afford the increased security at events for Muni.

Edited by KBong
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

ALERT!! This one is actually for the 2022 Version of this thread!! 

As husband and I serve as occasional NBC spotters at golf events, next year's schedule shows more LPGA events than in the past. Seriously considering match play in April in Vegas, plus USWO in Southern Pines on our way back to Ohio from Florida. My ex-in-laws lived on that course so I have some familiarity. Then there's the KPMG in Bethesda. Along with many PGA events (US Open, Prez Cup, TPC, etc). They're seeking more of those interested in working these tourneys as spotters inside the ropes. So, if anyone here is interested, pm me. 

• Like 4

Well chalk another one up for Mollie!  😉 

Trust Scottish Women's Open just announced that the prize money for 2022 has increased to $2.00 Million USD:

Trust Golf announced today that they have extended their title sponsorship of the 2022 Trust Golf Women’s Scottish for four further years and increased the prize-fund by 33% to US$2 Million with the tournament confirmed to take place at Dundonald Links, 28th – 31st July.

Trust Golf founder, Dr Prin Singhanart commented: “We are delighted to announce our continued commitment to the Trust Golf Women’s Scottish Open and to confirm an increase in the prize fund to $2million. We feel it is a wonderful platform from which to showcase Trust Golf’s work to a global audience and to continue our efforts in growing the game and creating the best opportunities for female golfers. We are very excited about the next four years as title sponsor of this incredible event and can’t wait for the upcoming edition at Dundonald Links.”

Last year the Scottish Government, through VisitScotland, confirmed its ongoing support of women’s golf through a five-year funding commitment to the Women’s Scottish Open, with the introduction of Trust Golf as the new title sponsor further boosting this illustrious co-sanctioned LPGA and Ladies European Tour event.

The Scottish Government and VisitScotland have a long-standing commitment to women’s golf having supported the Women’s Scottish Open from 2007 and been partners of the AIG Women’s Open since 2011. The country also hosted the hugely successful Solheim Cup at Gleneagles in 2019, setting a record for attendance at a women’s golf event.

Paul Bush OBE, Director of Events with VisitScotland, said: “We have a long-standing commitment to the Women’s Scottish Open, and are delighted that Trust Golf are on board as title sponsor for an additional four years. Their long-term support enables us to continue growing this historic tournament, and importantly continue to support the growth of the women’s game in Scotland following our successful staging of The 2019 Solheim Cup. Next summer offers an unheralded run of five consecutive weeks of major golf tournaments and undoubtedly cements Scotland’s reputation, not just as the home of golf, but also the perfect stage for events.”

Ross Hallett, SVP, Golf Events at IMG added: “This is another important long-term investment in IMG’s extensive women’s golf event portfolio in which we take enormous pride. As we know, women’s sport has been disproportionately impacted in the past two years so, as we look forward this is a very positive example of women’s golf attracting significant investment. We thank Trust Golf for further extending their partnership and especially Dr Prin, for her passion for the Trust Golf Women’s Scottish Open and are very thankful to Visit Scotland, for both their continued partnership with IMG and their commitment to supporting women’s golf.”

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 1

It's 34 tournaments with a total purse of $85.7 million as of now, it should be revised up when Majors firm up their purses for 2022:

As it is, it's up more than $22.00 million from the Pandemic affected 2021 purse of $63.00 million.  It should be more than twice that of 2022 JLPGA purse, when it's all said and done.

Edited by 18majors

Why is JTBC sponsoring so many events? Aren’t they like a reserve sponsor if they need a filler? Kingsmill gone, Lake Merced not being played. 

It seems like more and more there are the companies that think of pitching in $3-$5 million for an LPGA event is nothing and those that want to support women’s golf but can’t really more than a couple million. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

She's that magic touch!

None of this is any of Mollie’s doing. Contracts and negotiations begin taking place months if not a couple of years before an event comes to fruition, location decided, purse renewed etc. You’re making it seem like Mollie came in this spring and made all this happen which is not the case. 

• Like 2

No doubt, she's the right person to lead LPGA at this time:

LPGA commissioner says a top priority is bridging pay gap between women and men

"Over the long term, it’s building a bigger base of partners to sponsor tournaments and having new sponsors step in to create larger purse sizes as availability appears on the LPGA schedule.

"That availability of the number of events may expand as well. Marcoux Samaan's predecessor, Mike Whan, felt 33 to 34 events was the ideal number of tournaments on the calendar. The 2022 schedule sits right in that sweet spot with 34 tournaments next year, with almost $86 million in total purse. However, Marcoux Samaan believes there is more room for additional events that align with the tour’s goals and purse sizes."

7 minutes ago, 18majors said:

"Over the long term, it’s building a bigger base of partners to sponsor tournaments and having new sponsors step in to create larger purse sizes as availability appears on the LPGA schedule.

"That availability of the number of events may expand as well. Marcoux Samaan's predecessor, Mike Whan, felt 33 to 34 events was the ideal number of tournaments on the calendar. The 2022 schedule sits right in that sweet spot with 34 tournaments next year, with almost $86 million in total purse. However, Marcoux Samaan believes there is more room for additional events that align with the tour’s goals and purse sizes."

She’s really lost it if she thinks there is room and interest from the players, especially at the top to play more. Many of the Koreans miss LPGA events to play on the Korean tour same with the Europeans and the Euro tour. Twice this season LPGA events didn’t fill up so not sure where she’s getting any of this. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fredogolfer said:

She’s really lost it if she thinks there is room and interest from the players, especially at the top to play more

I don't know who's missing the point, you or Ms. Samaan.

There is only one reason Mike Whan commented that 33-34 tournaments is the right schedule for LPGA; because he didn't know how to expand the schedule.  

We don't need top players to play more tournaments, the main beneficiaries of more tournaments are middle to lower tier tour pros.

18 minutes ago, fredogolfer said:

Twice this season LPGA events didn’t fill up so not sure where she’s getting any of this. 

With the exception of the Pandemic years, PGA Tour normally has at least 44-45 events a year.  Some weeks, they conducted two tournaments.  One is limited field for elite players, the other is open.  The open tournaments offers chances for lower tiered players to win or to place inside Top-10 for real chunks of prize money.

Whether the field is filled isn't the point.  More tournaments will enable more players to play and to earn real money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

None of this is any of Mollie’s doing. Contracts and negotiations begin taking place months if not a couple of years before an event comes to fruition, location decided, purse renewed etc. You’re making it seem like Mollie came in this spring and made all this happen which is not the case. 

You're correct.  I was being a tad cheeky when I chalked it up to Mollie.   That's why I put some of the context from the news release into it.  The Trust Golf Scottish Women's Open is coordinated by IMG and the Tourism Scotland.  When they announced Trust Golf from Thailand coming onboard to replace RBS, they said that they would also look at bumping up the prize money.   I suspect that the real motivator for raising the purse amount was the impetus from the R&A regarding the AIG Women's Open . . . its like they wish to focus on the Scottish Women's Open and the AIG event as the two biggest events of the LET schedule. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

I don't know who's missing the point, you or Ms. Samaan.

There is only one reason Mike Whan commented that 33-34 tournaments is the right schedule for LPGA; because he didn't know how to expand the schedule.  

We don't need top players to play more tournaments, the main beneficiaries of more tournaments are middle to lower tier tour pros.

With the exception of the Pandemic years, PGA Tour normally has at least 44-45 events a year.  Some weeks, they conducted two tournaments.  One is limited field for elite players, the other is open.  The open tournaments offers chances for lower tiered players to win or to place inside Top-10 for real chunks of prize money.

Whether the field is filled isn't the point.  More tournaments will enable more players to play and to earn real money.

The LPGA as recently as the late 90s had 40-42 events. The reduction was not strictly because of lack of prize money or opportunities for events. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fredogolfer said:

The LPGA as recently as the late 90s had 40-42 events. The reduction was not strictly because of lack of prize money or opportunities for events. 

I don't know how old you're, but LPGA pre-Annika Sorenstam, Karrie Webb and Se Ri Pak was a totally different Tour dominated by Americans.  It enjoyed its golden age starting with Nancy Lopez's rookie year in 1978 until well into the 90's.

But the recent history hasn't been pretty, see the chart below.  The chart is full of mistakes in terms of Total Prize Money and other details; but the number of official tournaments each year is largely correct.

ar Number of
official tournaments
Countries hosting
tournaments
Tournaments in
United States
Tournaments in
other countries
Total prize
money ($)
2022 34 9 25 11 85,700,000[27]
2021 30 7 23 7 69,200,000
2020 18 3 14 4 41,300,000
2019 32 12 20 12 70,200,000
2018 33 13 19 14 66,950,000
2017 34 15 17 17 67,650,000
2016 33 14 18 15 63,000,000
2015 31 14 17 14 59,100,000
2014 32 14 17 15 57,550,000
2013 28 14 14 14 48,900,000
2012 27 12 15 12 47,000,000
2011 23 11 13 10 41,500,000
2010 24 10 14 10 41,400,000
2009 28 9 18 10 47,600,000
2008 34 8 24 10 60,300,000
2007 31 8 23 8 54,285,000
2006 33 8 25 8 50,275,000
2005 32 7 25 7 45,100,000
2004 32 6 27 5 42,875,000

Mike Whan did his best to increase the tournaments from 23 in 2011 to 34 in 2017, but he ran out of gas in later years.  No wonder he quitted.

Edited by 18majors

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

I don't know how old you're, but LPGA pre-Annika Sorenstam, Karrie Webb and Se Ri Pak was a totally different Tour dominated by Americans.  It enjoyed its golden age starting with Nancy Lopez's rookie year in 1978 until well into the 90's.

But the recent history hasn't been pretty, see the chart below.  The chart is full of mistakes in terms of Total Prize Money and other details; but the number of official tournaments each year is largely correct.

ar Number of
official tournaments
Countries hosting
tournaments
Tournaments in
United States
Tournaments in
other countries
Total prize
money ($)
2022 34 9 25 11 85,700,000[27]
2021 30 7 23 7 69,200,000
2020 18 3 14 4 41,300,000
2019 32 12 20 12 70,200,000
2018 33 13 19 14 66,950,000
2017 34 15 17 17 67,650,000
2016 33 14 18 15 63,000,000
2015 31 14 17 14 59,100,000
2014 32 14 17 15 57,550,000
2013 28 14 14 14 48,900,000
2012 27 12 15 12 47,000,000
2011 23 11 13 10 41,500,000
2010 24 10 14 10 41,400,000
2009 28 9 18 10 47,600,000
2008 34 8 24 10 60,300,000
2007 31 8 23 8 54,285,000
2006 33 8 25 8 50,275,000
2005 32 7 25 7 45,100,000
2004 32 6 27 5 42,875,000

Mike Whan did his best to increase the tournaments from 23 in 2011 to 34 in 2017, but he ran out of gas in later years.  No wonder he quitted.

Hahahah, he “quitted” to get a bigger gig at the USGA. Weren’t you the one who said Bianca was going to be rookie of the year and player of the year as well as win a major? Now, she’s struggling to keep her card. You don’t have a great track record.

I was 11 the last year of the 1990s and all I knew about women’s golf was that a Korean woman won the US Open and had really white feet while doing it because that’s exactly how USA Today covered it. 

It does matter that fields do get filled. Why have events taken place that even by dipping down into the Symetra Tour aren't being filled?

Edited by fredogolfer

Does anyone feel there may be something happening with Judy's health? The way she talked about herself during the Rolex Awards made it seem like she wasn't sure she'd even make it to next year. I know people don't plan very long range as they get older but it just seemed strange to hear as well as with her severely curtailed schedule for next year. 

1 hour ago, fredogolfer said:

Does anyone feel there may be something happening with Judy's health? The way she talked about herself during the Rolex Awards made it seem like she wasn't sure she'd even make it to next year. I know people don't plan very long range as they get older but it just seemed strange to hear as well as with her severely curtailed schedule for next year. 

I watched the Rolex Awards Dinner Youtube last night...it was good.

I'm busy this weekend but will make a separate post on the Rolex event later.

I think Judy was just advising people that she intends to retire for good in 2022 and hasn't yet determined what will be her final event.

I would really hope there's nothing physically or mentally wrong with her...BUT she's 76.

She was struggling a bit walking up and down the stairs from the stage last night....Mollie lent her hand for assistance.

They spent a really long time when Judy was named the Commish award recipient....Judy has seen and experienced so much in golf and LOVED BY ALL.

It's no wonder I have been a Judy fanboy.

I have a FANTASTIC picture of Judy and I from the 2013 Cambia event in Portland.....I talked my way into the production booth in 2015 at the CWO to get Judy to autograph it.

OK...I'll admit why I like Judy....my wife looks like Judy....or Judy looks like my wife.🤣

Oh ya...seeing Dottie Pepper last night via video at the awards dinner....I couldn't help but think that a NATURAL and COMPETENT replacement for Judy is Dottie.

BUT

I think Dottie's....Solheim...."freakin chokin dogs" comment has not only prevented Dottie from being a US Solheim captain...but likely has supressed her involvement with anything LPGA related.

Pat Hurst was such a LOUSY captain and ineffective...IMO...Dottie would be such a great US SC captain.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 18majors said:

This is NOT a good sign. Anyone who goes down that path is better suited to politics. No need to look at the men's game - just focus on what you have.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

Okay. 

2 hours ago, North Texas said:

Okay. 

Okay, never mind, I guess you’re right. She came in full-time mid-summer and in that time convinced Chevron, AIG, Trust Golf, DOW and CME to increase their financial commitment by millions of dollars over several years. She also convinced JTBC who has been involved with the tour  since 2010-2011 to hold the title sponsorship to 3 events next season.

Don’t forget the behind the scenes work she did to convince the Canadian government earlier in the year to re-open borders so the CPWO

could be played again. 

Also, the hard lobbying she did to convince the USGA to find a presenting sponsor for the record setting USWO purse that will be announced in the coming months was all her doing.

I will also say this, Mike Whan talked about the LPGA being the LPGA-USGA Girls Golf initiative,  the LPGA Tour, Teaching division and the Senior Tour. The senior tour in particular could use a lot of help but Molly seems to think the LPGA is just the LPGA Tour. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

This is NOT a good sign. Anyone who goes down that path is better suited to politics. No need to look at the men's game - just focus on what you have.

It’s a tough proposition, there seem to be the Terry Duffy’s of the world

who want to do it for the sake of it and already had a relationship with the LPGA. Then there are those partners who end the relationship, like the Oneida Nation because sponsoring an LPGA event didn’t make sense from a business perspective. What will happen though when Duff retires or the Board boots him? Too much of this growth is based on the “feelings” or “ideals” of a few CEOs. I love the women's game but building the tour this way seems to be artificial and unsustainable.