2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

Wha? How about playing with limited or no on-course fans? That's pretty extreme at this point. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

38 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Wha? How about playing with limited or no on-course fans? That's pretty extreme at this point. 

Canada is a mess and our politicians are morons, they can't even secure vaccines for the population.  We basically have detention centers for Covid for people coming into the country and it cost 2000 dollars for the pleasure of being detained for 3 days.  No way that would fly with PGA players and I'm sure many LPGA players couldn't afford that extra cost and most would decide to skip it.  So I think cancelling these event is done to save government and politician face, easier to cancel it outright, than have everyone withdraw and make the government policies look foolish.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

If cancelled does this mean Ottawa hosts 2023 and Vancouver still hosts 2022?  

That I have no clue about, the danger IMO and granted it's less likely with the LPGA, is that these event disappear from Canada forever.  The PGA most likely has a line up of sponsors and courses that would love the Canadian Open spot.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Stooch said:

That I have no clue about, the danger IMO and granted it's less likely with the LPGA, is that these event disappear from Canada forever.  The PGA most likely has a line up of sponsors and courses that would love the Canadian Open spot.

Well @Stooch the CP Women's Canadian Open should be quite fine as BC will be back to normal by June.  Or that is the word coming out of Victoria and the Chief Health Officer and Premier.  We'll keep our fingers crossed as we approach Springtime.

20 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Well @Stooch the CP Women's Canadian Open should be quite fine as BC will be back to normal by June.  Or that is the word coming out of Victoria and the Chief Health Officer and Premier.  We'll keep our fingers crossed as we approach Springtime.

Again it's coming across the border that's the problem, it you have to get locked in a hotel room at a cost of 2000 dollars, I think many players will say screw it and probably even Brooke lol

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Stooch said:

Again it's coming across the border that's the problem, it you have to get locked in a hotel room at a cost of 2000 dollars, I think many players will say screw it and probably even Brooke lol

I doubt they'll be removing these "hurdles" by the time CP Open decision is being made eg within the next few weeks - Canadian govt has been extremely reactive (eg not proactive) on the pandemic/virus... I am on the assumption CP is cancelled for 2021 and like the PGA, LPGA will have to look for a "replacement" event.  I'm certainly planning for 2022 in Ottawa instead LOL...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stooch said:

Naw, BC is responsible for the tracking and enforcement of the hotel requirement.  The Tour still has a bubble policy in place (to the best of my knowledge) and BC should be in clear by June.  The province fully expects the province to be operating as normal as can be by that time (whether it is the beginning or end of June).  If BC doesn't require the lockdown aspect anymore, then it won't enforce it even though it may be required in places like Ontario and Quebec or Alberta.

As much as I am not a fan of our current government in Victoria, nonetheless, the leadership in BC from all sides has been cooperating to get through this situation and it shows.  So I am rather bullish on the CP Women's Open going ahead as scheduled.

38 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Naw, BC is responsible for the tracking and enforcement of the hotel requirement.  The Tour still has a bubble policy in place (to the best of my knowledge) and BC should be in clear by June.  The province fully expects the province to be operating as normal as can be by that time (whether it is the beginning or end of June).  If BC doesn't require the lockdown aspect anymore, then it won't enforce it even though it may be required in places like Ontario and Quebec or Alberta.

As much as I am not a fan of our current government in Victoria, nonetheless, the leadership in BC from all sides has been cooperating to get through this situation and it shows.  So I am rather bullish on the CP Women's Open going ahead as scheduled.

I guess that where we differ, I'm not sure Provincial policies will have any effect on Federal policies.  What I mean by this, I don't disagree that BC and other Province's will have much more relaxed rules in the summer making thing easy to navigate, my point is the problem will be getting to BC from outside Canada.

Things are always bound to get better when Spring starts it is a Covid virus after all, sure the way it effects people and certain demographics of people way more seriously than the common flu but it will mimic the common flu in that it starts taking off in November and peaking in January and then dramatically decline coming into Spring and Summer and then start taking off in November again.

Also I hate being that guy but unfortunately I am that guy lol, that if they make special allowances for LPGA players in regards to travel exemptions, I'm gonna lose my s**t, either we all are in this together and play by the same rules regardless of class or open things back up so we can get back to living 🙂

4 hours ago, Stooch said:

I guess that where we differ, I'm not sure Provincial policies will have any effect on Federal policies.  What I mean by this, I don't disagree that BC and other Province's will have much more relaxed rules in the summer making thing easy to navigate, my point is the problem will be getting to BC from outside Canada.

Things are always bound to get better when Spring starts it is a Covid virus after all, sure the way it effects people and certain demographics of people way more seriously than the common flu but it will mimic the common flu in that it starts taking off in November and peaking in January and then dramatically decline coming into Spring and Summer and then start taking off in November again.

Also I hate being that guy but unfortunately I am that guy lol, that if they make special allowances for LPGA players in regards to travel exemptions, I'm gonna lose my s**t, either we all are in this together and play by the same rules regardless of class or open things back up so we can get back to living 🙂

I understand your point.  Here in BC, the City of Prince Rupert will be 100% vaccinated by the end of the month.  The vaccination campaign is well and truly underway in force.    Also, don't forget, the LPGA has been playing in a bubble since last season and I understand from discussion this morning that it is still in place.  That's how they were able to travel abroad last year.  And its no different than the way that the NHL played in Edmonton and Toronto (bubble environments).  

Also, the LPGA tests their players before every event so they will be able to come into the country rather smoothly ... again, remember that the CP Women's Open is scheduled for the last week of August.  So BC and most parts of Canada will have vaccinated the vast majority of Canadians by then.  The RBC Canadian Open was a different kettle of fish as they were scheduled for the beginning of June.    

22 hours ago, Stooch said:

Canada is a mess and our politicians are morons, they can't even secure vaccines for the population.  We basically have detention centers for Covid for people coming into the country and it cost 2000 dollars for the pleasure of being detained for 3 days.  No way that would fly with PGA players and I'm sure many LPGA players couldn't afford that extra cost and most would decide to skip it.  So I think cancelling these event is done to save government and politician face, easier to cancel it outright, than have everyone withdraw and make the government policies look foolish.

Stooch, are you being kept in cages up there? Wink twice and nod once for yes and we'll send in the troops 🙃

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Supermilo said:

I doubt they'll be removing these "hurdles" by the time CP Open decision is being made eg within the next few weeks - Canadian govt has been extremely reactive (eg not proactive) on the pandemic/virus... I am on the assumption CP is cancelled for 2021 and like the PGA, LPGA will have to look for a "replacement" event.  I'm certainly planning for 2022 in Ottawa instead LOL...

Just can't see the LPGA dumping this event. First, CP has been a great sponsor. The event is basically a 5th major. 

More importantly, sponsors aren't lining up to fill the vacuum. Yeah, we get a new event now and again, but it's generally a lower profile event replacing one that was dropped. 

I'd hate to see the event skipped two years in a row, but it should have a long life beyond 2021. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 3/9/2021 at 6:50 PM, Stooch said:

So true

On 2/26/2021 at 6:12 PM, Golf Dino said:

Though she is not a tour rookie but an amateur, I will say that I have not been terribly impressed with the results of Alexa Pano.  She played the Gainbridge event as an amateur, finishing last with only Na Yeon Choi's WD below her.   I looked at her stats and while I don't know if there is an error or not, her driving distance was averaging 217 yards (not sure if that is only Rd 2 or both rounds).   She missed the cut and finished two rounds at +21 over.  

There was a time when some were touting her as the next big phenom in American women's golf.  She is only      14 months    younger than Rose Zhang, but I sense that their games are miles apart right now.    If the data is indeed correct (217 yards average driving distance), then that simply is not good enough (unless she was using an iron or something off of the tee).   It just puts way too much pressure on a player's game.  

She may be the player that needs to play collegiate golf as a player that develops slower.   Golf is a fickle game so maybe this is just a "one off". 

Agreed, I think too often(like every year) it seems 2-3 players are crowned as the Queen in waiting. So essentially every 5 years there are 10-15 players who are future hall of famers.

• Like 1

At the tender age of 18, she turned 18 last month, Atthaya Thitikul unbounded talent will finally be unleashed this year.

Jeeno on course to continue her winning run at Phoenix Gold

"In May she will be relocating to Europe so that she can take a full part in the LET 2021 season. She is definitely a player to look out for and it will be a major surprise if she doesn’t win at least one major LET event this season."

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 3/18/2021 at 4:46 AM, 18majors said:

What will Rose do this week at Symetra Tour, anything other than Top-10 would be a disappointment!

Wrist injury behind her, top-ranked amateur Rose Zhang ready for Symetra Tour opener

spacer.png

She starts Sunday in fifth.  I wouldn’t count against top 5.  She was hitting them well on the range a couple weeks ago.