Bocaji’s swing progress

Bocaji

• Bocaji changed the title to Swing help before next lesson (am I a scooper?)

@Bocaji The first thing to be aware of is that many, many people have fabulous practice swings and then have completely different swings when they try to hit a  ball. You are not the only one with this problem.

As to your swing at the ball, what I see is that as you approach impact your upper body collapses down/towards the ball. The only way for you to actually hit the ball with that happening is for you to collapse or pull your arms closer to your body. The mind /body is very good at making unconscious changes to achieve a result so that is what is happening.

Your best fix for this is to concentrate on trying to keep your posture through impact. In order to hit the ball you'll have to keep your arms extended. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I sometimes feel insane just not knowing how or what I’m doing in my swing. So I like to get differing perspectives, maybe some insight for things I don’t see in my own swing so I can maybe go into my next lesson with a more open mind. 

Coming back into it, even only for 3 weeks, really messed with my tempo. I was really struggling to hit the irons in my bag which I normally can at least hit them straight. Couldn’t at all hit them that day. So what you see is me at peak frustration with one of the easiest clubs in the bag, which clearly I am trying to obliterate. Although I was slightly satisfied with that shot albeit my form was absolute crap haha. It was fun at least. I’ll go into it with a better mindset next time. Thanks for the comments guys!

I would hope that your instructor is communicating the order in which your issues are being addressed. 

I’m not trying to be rude when I say that you have a number of issues that need to be fixed incrementally and that your self-analysis would be very counter productive at this stage. 

If your instructor gave you drills to do after your last lesson, concentrate on doing these rather than hitting full swings. My hope is that your motion to top of the backswing is 1st on the agenda to eliminate what is visible from this view and the other faults that would be visible down the line. 

Cause and Effect.  

If you did straighten that right arm and release the club, you'd duck hook everything.  

Hard to tell without DTL, but looks like you are just sucking it inside and came way over the top.  You have to hold off the release, or else you'd have closed face or hit off the hosel.  

Practice swing is worthless to analyze.  You compensate to hit the ball and try to hit straight.  When your swinging into just air, there is no compensating to hit the ball or to hit it straight.  

You have a natural athletic move.  In my opinion, you are not far off from a pretty sound swing.  The things you do right are harder to teach than the things you are not doing correctly right now.  Keep taking lessons and practicing.  You got some good golf ahead of you if you keep working on it.     

You get out of position early in the backswing then your hips open way too fast while adding a lot of flexion in transition. Then you keep that flexion too long and don't extend until well after impact.  Your right arm has to stay that bent otherwise you'd hit it super fat, so yes it's a compensation.  

I would also say you might have an intent issue. It looks like your main goal is to rotate as fast as possible in an effort to hit it farther, but it's likely doing the exact opposite

Edited by Krt22

Wow, take 5X longer to set up and hit the real shot, I just kept advancing the tape to get to the swing.  Too long.

Was the tendon injury to one of your arms?  I can sympathize with hitting a ball after injury and compensations, so if you are back too soon, then take more time off?  But if your swing basically looked like this before, then the injury probably isn't the issue, and you need to figure out with your instructor what the root cause of the issue is when hitting the ball.  Not sure much else to say.

Pick up a wedge and do continuous motion back and forth swings with your right arm only on the club. It should feel loose and relaxed and just flow back and forth as you are smoothly rotating your body. Another great drill is to drop the club and throw a golf ball down the range using your golf swing (like hold the ball in your hand and actually throw it). In other words just free up your body to be naturally athletic and stop thinking about the garbage you have going on now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 1:44 PM, wagolfer7 said:

Cause and Effect.  

If you did straighten that right arm and release the club, you'd duck hook everything.  

Hard to tell without DTL, but looks like you are just sucking it inside and came way over the top.  You have to hold off the release, or else you'd have closed face or hit off the hosel.  

Practice swing is worthless to analyze.  You compensate to hit the ball and try to hit straight.  When your swinging into just air, there is no compensating to hit the ball or to hit it straight.  

You have a natural athletic move.  In my opinion, you are not far off from a pretty sound swing.  The things you do right are harder to teach than the things you are not doing correctly right now.  Keep taking lessons and practicing.  You got some good golf ahead of you if you keep working on it.     

It took me a month to realize I had notifications turned off. Thanks for the advice, is it possible that “arm lift” is throwing my tempo off? I’ve noticed recently that it looks like I lift my arms up (especially with short irons) and wondering if there could be any correlation between that and my chicken wing -esche follow through.

made a post, not realizing there were more comments on this one detailing what I’m working on currently

Edited by Bocaji

On 1/4/2021 at 2:33 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

Wow, take 5X longer to set up and hit the real shot, I just kept advancing the tape to get to the swing.  Too long.

Was the tendon injury to one of your arms?  I can sympathize with hitting a ball after injury and compensations, so if you are back too soon, then take more time off?  But if your swing basically looked like this before, then the injury probably isn't the issue, and you need to figure out with your instructor what the root cause of the issue is when hitting the ball.  Not sure much else to say.

Well I think I lift my arms a bit which may or may not have a connection to my chicken wing. I think I read somewhere that if it’s bent at the top it will mirror (basically compensate) post impact phase. But yeah when I first got into golf I would try to “help” the ball up and I feel like that mental compensation is still there making me hit these weird shots where I bottom out of swing arch at the ball. Working on reducing arm lift in my swing and I think that is helping 

• Like 1

You’re doing the opposite of scooping.

You need to change the way your pelvis moves throughout the swing and float loading the wrists is throwing off your sequencing.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

12 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

You need to change the way your pelvis moves throughout the swing and float loading the wrists is throwing off your sequencing.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what exactly is the opposite of scooping? Also if scooping is bad then is the opposite... good?

Could you tell me if I have the same float load move in my new(er) swing. This swing is old and not sure if I have all the same tendencies..

I posted it here: 

• 1 month later...

Hey people, it’s me again. Can’t golf for a while (broke my collarbone snowboarding rip). But since laying in bed for a week, I’ve had a lot of time to reflect on constructive comments I’ve received here; As well as review my own videos from months ago to see how I’ve progressed so far.. 

and I’ve came to the conclusion that I’ve actually regressed.. I’ve moved away from what looks like a golf swing. I’m gonna share a video from months ago that looks nothing like my current “swing” if you could even call it that.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed thoughts/suggestions and observations. I love this game, really glad I picked it up.

Edited by Bocaji
Add a video

• Bocaji changed the title to Achieving a sound swing (fixing sequencing)
On 1/25/2021 at 1:14 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

Seems he would be a good candidate for your Cast No Turn video???

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 4 months later...

I’m getting OTT as well as holding the face wide open and no release of wrists (at least that’s what it looks like to me)resulting in shanks, slices or if I’m lucky an over fade. 
Tried a drill I saw by GG to help create an in/out path. A could hardly get it to hook (which is the objective of course). Mostly I got a weak hook or slight draw or fade with this drill.. But overall much better contact. Thoughts? 

First video (OTT)

Next two are ‘hook drills’. Trying to get the club releasing more out, not sure if I achieved that.

Edited by Bocaji

• Bocaji changed the title to Bocaji’s swing progress
2 minutes ago, Bocaji said:

Damn thought I got the camera angles right. 
Is the float loading potentially causing the club head to be too open? Looks like my right arm gets stuck behind me on the full swing and that could be opening the face?

Not potentially, that’s what’s causing it.

Forces radial deviation causes lead wrist extension…..in English that means when you down load, that cups the least wrist and that opens the face.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

15 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Not potentially, that’s what’s causing it.

Forces radial deviation causes lead wrist extension…..in English that means when you down load, that cups the least wrist and that opens the face.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. What should I do to get rid of it? I’m thinking freezers. That way i give myself time to check my wrist set

Edited by Bocaji

10 minutes ago, Bocaji said:

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. What should I do to get rid of it? I’m thinking freezers. That way i give myself time to check my wrist set

Earlier wrist set and flex lead wrist in transition.

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• 1 month later...

No video, but definitely feel like I’m making progress. Last range session was hitting some really solid 7 irons. Contact sounded good and flight looked good. Not too high and not too low (somewhere in between which is good for me), and a slight draw. Occasional pull draw but not too bad. I’ll take that over the weak rightward shots any day.

My main concern is taking it to the course. last time I went on the course, I was ridiculously nervous and every shot was flying < 100 yards... it was pathetic. but to be fair I wasn’t practicing as much at that point. I feel a bit more confident now. Hesitant to go play because quite honestly I’m afraid I’ll s*** myself again. Any advice on how to get over the fear? Been reading “Mindside”; I believe that’s been quite helpful in my practice. 

Edited by Bocaji

• 2 weeks later...

Took a week off from hitting balls. What this usually means for me, is a loss of my swing feel so I have to figure it out again. This also means I revert to goat humping (apparently). Only say apparently because I have no video and I’m basing that assumption based on feel. So. The feel (to counteract the 🐐) I had today was for my body to be facing the target at impact. This felt super weird and uncomfortable but it created more distance. Just gotta ‘trust’ it. Kinda scary because my monkey brain just wants to hit the ball. Didn’t hit enough to get a proper rhythm with this. Usually limit myself to a small bucket as I lose focus if I have to hit more than that. I’ll try to play with this feel this week

On 8/30/2021 at 1:00 PM, billpierce said:

It may be my system but some of the 'videos' like the hook drill show as audio only

Yeah not sure, works on my iphone. It could also be the formatting on my phone camera. Not sure if that’s something I can edit. Based on Montes reply I think it works for some people