2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

12 hours ago, golfer929 said:

Any updates on Sunridge? Been seeing GolfNow times from them.

It's still a terrible course.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

36 minutes ago, DrSchteeve said:

It's still a terrible course.

Can you elaborate on that? is it overpriced, in poor condition, bad design? I kind of had my eye on that for this summer when the prices drop. I drove by there last week on my way to a hiking spot. It looked like a nice piece of property from the road. I will say when you look at the tee sheet on a Wednesday for Sunday tee time and the whole sheet is open, that's kind of a red flag.

40 minutes ago, AZ_JHWK said:

Can you elaborate on that? is it overpriced, in poor condition, bad design? I kind of had my eye on that for this summer when the prices drop. I drove by there last week on my way to a hiking spot. It looked like a nice piece of property from the road. I will say when you look at the tee sheet on a Wednesday for Sunday tee time and the whole sheet is open, that's kind of a red flag.

Yes, Yes, YES.  It is torn up in many places as they seem to be trying to do some modifications, but very slowly.  Not sure if the grass has recovered, but it was pretty bad a few weeks ago.  

In general, it's just a bad overall facility.  Service is abysmal most of the time.  

But play it an make your own assessment.

On 3/31/2021 at 7:11 AM, Austincountyag said:

finally got our tee times made for our buddies trip next month. 

Sat: Quintero in the a.m.....and possibly a last minute round that afternoon somewhere if we have the energy. 

Keep driving another 30 minutes north and play Wickenburg Ranch instead. Much better course.

• Like 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Papago on Saturday morning. Greens were quick and very firm. Looks like some areas are getting pretty thin on the rye greens which could cause some issues in May or June.  Overall, I thought the course was excellent, especially for the amount of play it gets. I guess the out of town rate is $179 right now. 🙀

Rakes are back in the bunkers and foam is out of the cups. Covid protocol, except masks in clubhouse and still no water on the course, is pretty much done. 

Dove Valley today - really bad tee to green: It was such a horrible day! It seemed like the maintenance crew had not been out in 4-5 days.  The fairway was anywhere from .5 inch to 1.5 inch high grass!  The fairways were also drenched, half the time it appeared due to broken sprinklers.  The Tee boxes were shaggy, torn up, and set in the torn up an uneven spots.  The greens were abhorrent - slow, inconsistent and beat to all heck.  They looked like they had not been cut or rolled in a few days as well.   

Edited by puttnforthe8

Painted Mountain yesterday morning. Greens were super slow but in good condition. Everything else in terms of conditions was "just OK", frankly I expected a lot worse. Typical "value course" conditions for this time of year.  Back nine was in a lot better condition than the front which was weird. They did apparently water it quite a bit overnight though no mudballs and the fairways were still firm. Pace great at 3:25, but a guy in the group ahead of us came back and yelled at us for "rushing" them and told us "you need to chill out and relax." Whatever, bro. If you want to take your time, don't book a 6:30am tee time.

Aguila early this morning, just about perfect all around. Greens seemed a little slower/slightly higher grass height than last weekend but still fast enough, I'm guessing they are keeping them a little higher due to this heat wave. They were a little more receptive than usual, probably from watering. Fairways still firm. Pace 3:45.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Painted Mountain yesterday morning. Greens were super slow but in good condition. Everything else in terms of conditions was "just OK", frankly I expected a lot worse. Typical "value course" conditions for this time of year.  Back nine was in a lot better condition than the front which was weird. They did apparently water it quite a bit overnight though no mudballs and the fairways were still firm. Pace great at 3:25, but a guy in the group ahead of us came back and yelled at us for "rushing" them and said "we need to chill out and relax." Whatever, bro. If you want to take your time, don't book a 6:30am tee time.

Aguila early this morning, just about perfect all around. Greens seemed a little slower/slightly higher grass height than last weekend but still fast enough, I'm guessing they are keeping them a little higher due to this heat wave. They were a little more receptive than usual, probably from watering. Fairways still firm. Pace 3:45.

So the guy has enough awareness to realize he's being "rushed", but not enough awareness to let the faster group play through, what a tool. Some people just don't get it. 

• Like 2

First time playing Grandview in Sun City West on Saturday. Overall impressed with the course. Seemed fairly long for a Sun City course, which was a nice surprise. Greens were firm, rolled true. Sand was excellent. POP was just under 3.5. Also was shocked to see that most folks were playing the correct tees🤯

• Like 2

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

4 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

So the guy has enough awareness to realize he's being "rushed", but not enough awareness to let the faster group play through, what a tool. Some people just don't get it. 

You always wonder at that point where the Course Ranger is if they have one!

On that note....it is somewhat of a thankless job in the wrong place I suppose when dealing with the mixed bag of young guns, old hacks, and too many beers from the cart gal.   I liken it to the HOAs....a fine line between policing neatness in the lawns and pointing out how long your guest's car was on the street or the like.

You want some order out on a course but hope they do so without a bullying style.  Everybody wants to get their rounds in and nobody wants to wait!🤔

• Like 1

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

4 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

What was funny is that this group putzed around on the first tee for 15 minutes without hitting, and the starter actually told my group to not be afraid to push them because he was concerned they might be slow and mess up the pace for the whole day. They ended up not being truly "slow" by most peoples' standards, but had they simply let us through, they would have never seen us again. We weren't hitting into them, but we were waiting on most shots and got to several tee boxes before they had all hit despite the fact that we were walking and they were riding.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Sterling Grove today. Best shape I've seen it in my few rounds played there. It's nearly perfect in every aspect. 

We fertilized the greens last week and that really filled and “greened” them up.  The Bermuda is also filling in as the weather heats up.  

We just lowered the rough mowers to 1.0” from 1.5” and will end up at .5” to transition back to Bermuda and every day mowers are sent out but with so many golfers we can only mow portions of the course.

We mow the fairways daily (double cut), greens daily (walk mow four different directions), tees and approaches every other day, collars two or three times a week, it does make a difference in quality playing surfaces. 

Edited by Mr. Clean
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr. Clean said:

We fertilized the greens last week and that really filled and “greened” them up.  The Bermuda is also filling in as the weather heats up.  

We just lowered the rough mowers to 1.0” from 1.5” and will end up at .5” to transition back to Bermuda and every day mowers are sent out but with so many golfers we can only mow portions of the course.

We mow the fairways daily (double cut), greens daily (walk mow four different directions), tees and approaches every other day, collars two or three times a week, it does make a difference in quality playing surfaces. 

Nice - I will be back Sat again...I am on a mission to learn how to play the course the best...

Good write up Mr. Clean. Interesting to hear the insight of someone who knows the course well. Makes me wish I could tee it up again at the Grove soon! When I played, there was 1 in my group that had played it before and he wasn’t able to help the rest of us some. 

5. How long does this hole normally play from the blues? I finally hit a good tee ball and it was about 3 paces from the creek. (Fairways were firm but best case I have about 275-280 in me these days) Actually between the fairway and creek. It seemed like their was an open box behind the black tees but didnt know if both sets were one up or that was more of a tournament box. Hit a wedge just off the green pin high left, past the front tier. Anticipated an easy 2. Absolutely not lol. Aimed about 5 ft right of the flag and needed to aim about 3 feet further right. 

8. I was warned of the hazard. You can see some of it from the box. I hit my second good drive of the day. Solidly, what I thought, in the right center of the fairway. Wrong. In the hazard. This seems like a no driver hole to me. 

14. This has the massive bunker in the front center, correct? Really good green complex here. Seems like it should be an easy hole but everything is about placement on the second shot. Pin was dead center when I played. I’ll be curious how this hole, and a few others, play once the trees are grown. How tall are these suppose to get? As a Midwest golfer, I like the variety but if they end up being tall trees like you would find on a non desert course they will be very out of place IMO. 

One other question about the course in general. What’s going on with the tall thick green grass areas? I want to call it fescue but I know that’s the wrong term. Most of the time a ball goes in there it’s completely unplayable and normally won’t be found. Will that die out in the summer or as the course ages? I guess my confusion is on how do they decide where that goes and where the normal desert areas are? The course clearly spent a good amount on rock and mulch for the majority of it. On many holes the unplayable fescue ends abruptly and becomes desert that is very playable. Struck me as odd and would love your insight here. 

Really really enjoyed the course. Great layout in fantastic condition. I haven’t played a ton of the top courses I’m AZ but so far this is the only one I think I would look forward to playing everyday. So many options around the greens. No way can you play a low running shot or high flop every hole. Green complexes may be a bit much for a daily fee course but as a country club I think the greens are a selling point. 

Keep up the good work, Mr. Clean!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Good write up Mr. Clean. Interesting to hear the insight of someone who knows the course well. Makes me wish I could tee it up again at the Grove soon! When I played, there was 1 in my group that had played it before and he wasn’t able to help the rest of us some. 

5. How long does this hole normally play from the blues? I finally hit a good tee ball and it was about 3 paces from the creek. (Fairways were firm but best case I have about 275-280 in me these days) Actually between the fairway and creek. It seemed like their was an open box behind the black tees but didnt know if both sets were one up or that was more of a tournament box. Hit a wedge just off the green pin high left, past the front tier. Anticipated an easy 2. Absolutely not lol. Aimed about 5 ft right of the flag and needed to aim about 3 feet further right.  The blues are 434 and yes we interchange between that back tee box and the forward tees.  I can see if you catch the downslope being down by the ravine with the tall annual rye grass.  Being left and above the hole breaks more than you think, it is just a matter of playing to know the break.  I started playing here the Friday before Thanksgiving, long before we opened, and the first few rounds were very humbling.

8. I was warned of the hazard. You can see some of it from the box. I hit my second good drive of the day. Solidly, what I thought, in the right center of the fairway. Wrong. In the hazard. This seems like a no driver hole to me.  Agree, 8 is not a driver hole unless you thread the needle, if you play course management then you will expect a mid to long iron approach, par is a good score on 8.

14. This has the massive bunker in the front center, correct? Really good green complex here. Seems like it should be an easy hole but everything is about placement on the second shot. Pin was dead center when I played. I’ll be curious how this hole, and a few others, play once the trees are grown. How tall are these suppose to get? As a Midwest golfer, I like the variety but if they end up being tall trees like you would find on a non desert course they will be very out of place IMO.   Yes 14 has the big bunker and the green wraps around, wrong side on this green and it is jail.  The trees will mature for sure and they are now full of leaves, it happened overnight is seems.  There are 1700 trees on the golf course so its really not a desert course, not sure what to call it 🙂

One other question about the course in general. What’s going on with the tall thick green grass areas? I want to call it fescue but I know that’s the wrong term. Most of the time a ball goes in there it’s completely unplayable and normally won’t be found. Will that die out in the summer or as the course ages? I guess my confusion is on how do they decide where that goes and where the normal desert areas are? The course clearly spent a good amount on rock and mulch for the majority of it. On many holes the unplayable fescue ends abruptly and becomes desert that is very playable. Struck me as odd and would love your insight here. The tall grass is an annual rye grass designed to grow tall, it is a little over waist height now and we just started to cut it back.  It would have died out in the summer, but it is going away.  The owners got too many complaints and it will end up being "wild" bermuda grass with a transition of 3-5 feet from the existing rough.  I liked it and learned how to avoid is most of it is not in play once you know the layout.   The golf course architect designed in what goes where between the tall grass, rocks and mulch, there is some rhyme and reason, but its beyond me as to the why, my guess is aesthetics.

Really really enjoyed the course. Great layout in fantastic condition. I haven’t played a ton of the top courses I’m AZ but so far this is the only one I think I would look forward to playing everyday. So many options around the greens. No way can you play a low running shot or high flop every hole. Green complexes may be a bit much for a daily fee course but as a country club I think the greens are a selling point. I agree the greens are the defense of the course and too much for daily fee course, but I love the challenge and contend this course is as good as any in the valley, in my humble opinion.  It would be great to get three others from this site and have them out as my guest as I get three free twice a month.  Let me see what I can do, I have a couple other members beside yourself  who have been gracious and kind with feedback.  

Keep up the good work, Mr. Clean!

Cave Creek this morning. Quite a few tee boxes were way overdue for mowing. #9 green is not doing well, seems to be getting the usual large bare spots on the crests of the contours that it gets a few times per year, and the last 25 yards of fairway leading up to it was a swamp as usual. Frankly I wish they would just bulldoze that green and start over, I'd donate to that cause. Overall the course is still holding up pretty well despite the full tee sheet all day every day.

19 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Cave Creek this morning. Quite a few tee boxes were way overdue for mowing. #9 green is not doing well, seems to be getting the usual large bare spots on the crests of the contours that it gets a few times per year, and the last 25 yards of fairway leading up to it was a swamp as usual. Frankly I wish they would just bulldoze that green and start over, I'd donate to that cause. Overall the course is still holding up pretty well despite the full tee sheet all day every day.

They out to bulldoze at least 6 of the greens. I don't understand the love this course gets. I played it Friday and it literally is a dump on a dump. The greens suck, the fairways suck, and there's water leaks all over. This place gives Encanto a run for its money as the worst muni in the valley.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

13 hours ago, YMark said:

They out to bulldoze at least 6 of the greens. I don't understand the love this course gets. I played it Friday and it literally is a dump on a dump. The greens suck, the fairways suck, and there's water leaks all over. This place gives Encanto a run for its money as the worst muni in the valley.

Love? I wouldn't use that word. I don't think anyone loves the course. It's cheap, and if one is on the north side it's convenient. Aguila is certainly the best course, but it's a hike to get there. 

Sure, there are a few greens in rough shape, but overall the greens are in good shape. Some are crazy with undulation, but the speeds are generally appropriate for the slope. There's a good mix of easy and hard holes. #8 kicked my behind pretty much every week. Par on the 17th feels like a birdie.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 4/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, Mr. Clean said:

As promised, here is my write up for Sterling Grove.

Early considerations for current conditions:

Greens are firm, most shots are going to require some roll out, even wedges/short irons....consider this with my recommendations

Greens have slowed due to recent fertilizer application and bermuda grass waking from winter dormant condition

Rough is lower so expect more spin from the rough than previous rounds

Assume you are playing from blue or white tees, or combo of said tees

1.  Par 4.  Generous tee shot, find the fairway.  I usually hit 2 wood and look for a 150-160 approach shot, anything closer is a benefit.

If the pin is in the bowl #1 position (middle of the green) fire at the flag otherwise play your approach to the middle and putt to the edges there is no room on the right or left pin positions to get it close.  If the pin is on the back of the green then it is okay to be on the back fringe and putt/chip.  Par is a great start.

2.  Par 4.  Generous tee shot, calculate a 100 yard approach from the tee.  If you choose to hit driver stop here and forget the rest of my advice.

Under no circumstances do NOT miss this green right.  I do not care where the pin position is, try to hit your shot to the middle of the green, calculating the bounce and roll, with 100 yards this should be an easy wedge, sand wedge.  Par is a great score here, even as short as the hole is, it is not an easy birdie/par.

3.  Par 3, try to find the middle of the green with the bounce/roll and putt to the corners, there is volcano in the middle of the green.  If the pin is up front this is the only green light to attack, and being short is okay, most putts on the front have less break then you will read.  Par is a good score here.

4.  Par 5.  Hit your drive towards the giant power pole, generous fairway for sure and favor the left side of the fairway all the way to the green.  Layup shot calculate 100-125 yard approach, do NOT miss left.  The green will always roll out left to right, I try to hit my approach just short and left and let it end up rolling out to the right side which will be an uphill putt.  This is your first and best chance at birdie.

5.  Par 4. This is long par 4.  Find the fairway, calculate what you can easily hit towards the left trap and not go in the trap or be confident and split the bunkers, if you are short of the left trap expect to be ~190 yard approach, if you split them expect 160-140 approach.  The green slopes from left to right and you can use the left approach to chase the ball on the green.  If you play from the whites there is a ditch/ravine with long grass that comes into play. Par is a good score here, even bogey is a good score.

6.  Short Par 4, if you choose to hit driver here, just like #2 stop here and forget the rest of my advice.  Calculate ~ 100 yard approach shot from the tee.  With that yardage should be able to adjust for front or back pin.  If the pin is middle right do not fire at it, just find the middle of the green otherwise this is another good birdie chance.

7.  Par 3.  Hmmm.  If the pin is in the bowl do not be long, otherwise the green slopes from right to left.  If the pin is anywhere on the upper shelf just try to find the middle of the green and putt to the corners.  Par is a good score here.

8.  Par 4.  There is a waste area that goes from the cart path on the left and goes diagonal towards the green to a fairway that is only about 25 yards wide at the most narrow point.  The further left you are the more landing are you have, choose your tee shot wisely and if you are far left you are going to have ~195 yard approach, if you choose to take on the waste area, then you must thread the needle.  The green has a major undulation in the middle front.  If the pin is on the right then consider the green slopes from right to left.  If the pin is in the middle then good luck with the bowl, and left pins the putts do not move as much as it looks.  Again the green slopes form right to left.  The left side is the flattest spot on any green at Sterling Grove.  Par/Bogey is a good score here.

9.  Par 5.  Carefully choose your tee shot, water comes into play.  After the third bunker on the right the fairway narrows to about ~25 yards and water comes into play.  Too far right and you bring the thick annual rye grass into play.  I find a conservative 2 wood off the tee with a 2 wood approach leaves me with ~125-100 yard approach.  Middle of the green here is also the play, the green slopes from right to left, which is why I recommend middle of the green and putt to the corners.  Possible birdie, but par is a good score here.

Whewwwww.

10.  Short Par 4.  Favor the left off the tee, I like 2 wood off the tee which leaves me about 140 approach.  Very small green, again middle of the green and putt to the corners.  Anything long right or left is difficult up and down.  You can use the green side bunker slopes left/right to chase the ball back towards the center of the green.  This can be a birdie hole, but par is a good score.

11.  Par 5.  What you see is what you get here.  Hit a drive towards the bunker in the middle and you will have options.  Determine where the pin is left/right and try to setup your approach based on that position.  The back middle pin is on a volcano, anything front right or left is an attack pin.  This is for sure a birdie hole, not a gimmie birdie but a smart approach is key.

12.  Par 4.  Good luck.  Find the fairway.  The approach and all the way to the green slopes from right to left, if you have any type of middle to long iron use the slope and it will chase from left to right.  Par is a good score here.

13.  Par 3.  Find the middle of the green and putt to the corners.  If you have a back pin fire at it but understand if you miss it left it, chip shot needs to land in the approach or you will be either in the bunker or in the water.  Par is a good score here.

14. Par 4.  Bomb your drive, this is a hole to attack.  Take notice of pin location and play accordingly,  green has many slight undulations but this should be a birdie opportunity.  Middle of the green is good except for a front left or middle left pin location.

15.  Par 4.  Fairway slopes from left to right.  Another chance to bomb a drive.  There is a big green bush in the middle of the fairway/visual, that is a good target.  Aim for that and there are no bunkers penalty areas, once over the hill very generous and large green.  The green slopes from right to left, if the pin is left do not miss it left, fire for the middle.  If the pin is right be careful as there is water right, fire for the middle.  Another good birdie opportunity.

16.  Par 4.  Okay, okay.  You can try to drive this green and not stop reading my advice.  However this green is very small and small flops or pitches are very hard to hold the green.  So you have two options, bomb a drive and impress your group with your short game or find the ~100 yard approach and hit a full wedge.  Green has no flat spots and if the pin is left you can use the approach behind as a back stop.  This is for sure a birdie hole/

17.  Par 3.  Good luck.  Green slopes from left to right, middle of the green and putt to corners is the plan.  However if you miss it left the approach can help chase it back on the green.  Par is a good score here.

18.  Par 5.  Avoid the bunkers that are right in the middle of the fairway.  If you do, you can fire 5-6-7 iron right at the water.  The other approach would be to fire down the left and try to avoid the bunker on the left to look down the throat of the green.  If you play towards the water, your approach will be all over a bunker in front of the green.  You can use the approach left of the green to chase the ball back onto the green otherwise fire at the flag as there is no margin for error with the water and the bunker.

19.  Have fun, laugh, repair ball marks and put sand in your divots and remember that we are all blessed to play a beautiful round of golf at a golf course that people take pride in, for others to enjoy. 🥰 

Im sorry... Im still stuck on 2 wood:).  I havent heard that since I bought my Spaulding blade set in 6th grade with persimmons woods.  Great insight into SG.  I have not made it out there yet.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 4:00 PM, YMark said:

I like it for the quirks.....Idk why....I think it's because so many of the greens are ridiculous I find it fun trying to play the ball off of the slopes.  It's normally in decent shape though, sometimes really good, and there are a few really good holes.  Plus it's a good one to play if you are working on something in your swing and you want to test it out on a course that offers some penalties for missed shot.

• Like 2

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Papago today. Practice green is closed until next week. I think there's an NCAA tournament later this week. Greens are a little funky. The grain seems to be like Boris Johnson's hair - going every which way. You have to admit that it has some of the strongest par 3's around. Pace of play was dreadful as the out-of-town with wives-who-rarely-play crowd cluttered up the course. It was like a LA traffic jam.

• Haha 1

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

10 hours ago, vallygolf said:

Im sorry... Im still stuck on 2 wood:).  I havent heard that since I bought my Spaulding blade set in 6th grade with persimmons woods.  Great insight into SG.  I have not made it out there yet.

I love my 2 wood...er metal:  I prefer a 2 and 4 wood over the traditional 3 and 5 wood.

image.jpg.f2239b75c0301075c4c06b65cbe5bb72.jpgimage.jpg.648838d63faea3305278cbb9f38fb1ca.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 6:45 PM, Mr. Clean said:

It would be great to get three others from this site and have them out as my guest as I get three free twice a month.  Let me see what I can do, I have a couple other members beside yourself  who have been gracious and kind with feedback.  

If I may, I'd like to put my name out there as one that would be available. I played here a month ago as a "treat yo self" kind of round and was very humbled by the course. I've been itching to go back and improve my score haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ferrispgm said:

I like it for the quirks.....Idk why....I think it's because so many of the greens are ridiculous I find it fun trying to play the ball off of the slopes.  It's normally in decent shape though, sometimes really good, and there are a few really good holes.  Plus it's a good one to play if you are working on something in your swing and you want to test it out on a course that offers some penalties for missed shot.

I agree 100%

But also:  No hole is the same (way to play, look, etc);  Creativity 10x is super important (many courses have forgotten this);  lines off the tee...there are multiple points in the distance or close to aim at; great conditions (mentioned); the 'balance' of the way the course plays (next time anyone is out there, think about this) - you can go through a stretch of tough holes, but then get some scoring holes to make it so you aren't just tortured; draws, cuts, straight, low, high - all the shots are there. And the breaks of the putts - the White Tanks to the valley/airport is there (hint). 

Note:  these change with the tee boxes - the back and 1 up and the combo play different, but the same...kinda like Southern Dunes - you're not going to be upset with the course based on the set of tees you play!  

• Like 1