2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2021 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

Sorry if this may seem repetitive, but I'd like to post my own guide and thoughts hole-by-hole on Sterling Grove. Having played there 5 times now thanks to @Mr. Clean, I think I have an idea of how to play each hole. Generally, play to the front center of each green as the greens are hard and not very receptive to shots except wedges. If you're just off the green and can putt, do it as the lies will be very tight.

1. Short Par 4. Wide open fairway allows you to take driver off the tee. The fairway slopes gently to the left, so be wary of shots that draw (fade if you're lefty) as they may roll into the tall grass. Short is the best place to miss your approach. The bunkers aren't bad either if your sand game is strong, so long as you don't short-side yourself. The center of the green is a punch bowl and a good place to two-putt to any pin.
  2. Drive-able Par 4 for some, but tall grass to the right and a raised green make it very risky. The conservative play is to lay up just past the fairway bunkers on the left. Too far right will lead to a blind approach. Short or left is the best place to miss, along with the bunkers on the left if you're good from the sand. DO NOT MISS RIGHT as the green is elevated and slopes away from you as you pitch from a flat, tight lie. Attack the pin if it's in the front, and go center green everywhere else.
  3. Short Par 3, often playing downwind in the afternoon. Center green is your only hope of two putting. Short or right isn't a bad place to miss the green as long as you don't put the bunker between you and the pin. Bunkers are fine here too. The center pin is on a turtle back, so play to the front of the green if you hope to get that close.
  4. Mid-length dogleg right Par 5. Long hitters can cut the corner slightly for a shorter approach to the green. Fairway gently slopes to the right, so even a straight drive will roll to the right. Tall grass guards the corner. From the fairway, there's a generous wide area that allows for a layup to put you anywhere from 60-100 yards out. Alternatively, you can go for the green if you're a long hitter. DO NOT MISS RIGHT as you'll be on bark pitching to an elevated green. Short is the safe place to miss on this green. This is a good hole to get a birdie.
  5. Mid Par 4 that feels like a long one due to the forced carry 2/3 of the way to the green. A tee shot that's too long will roll down into the long grass. Pick the club that will cover the bunkers on the right to take them out of play off the tee. The green complex will funnel shots to the right. Short left is the only place to miss. Bunkers are deep and will be difficult for any player to get up and down. This is a tough green to two-putt if you're not close.
  6. Short Par 4 with water left, long grass right, and many bunkers in the fairway. Pick your straightest club that will put you between the first and second fairway bunkers, favoring the right side. This will give you the best angle into the narrow green.
  7. Long Par 3 with a massive green. If the pin is on the back shelf, anywhere left or long will give you a good chance to get up and down. Going right will be difficult as the green slopes away from you. If the pin is in the valley in the front, you'll need to be pin high to have any hopes of getting par. Being on the wrong level of the green makes two putting nearly impossible.
  8. Like 5, this is a Par 4 that plays longer due to the hazard on the left that narrows the fairway. You'll likely hit the same club twice on this hole, first on the tee, and second on the approach. Short is the only place to miss.
  9. Long dogleg right Par 5. Long hitters can cut the corner slightly and aim for the end of the first fairway. Fairway slopes to the left towards the water. There's a wide layup area with water left that will put you 60-100 yards out. Short left is a good place to miss, as well as the bunkers. Good birdie opportunity here.
  10. Congrats! The hardest half of the course is over! Short Par 4. Play just enough club to carry the bunker on the right for the best approach into the green. Short is the only place to miss here. Green slopes severely to the front, so you should play short of the flag to avoid a scary downhill putt to the pin.
  11. Long Par 5 reachable for long hitters if the wind isn't too strong. This hole is the only one that plays directly south and is often into the wind in the afternoon. If you can carry the center fairway bunker, aim directly for it as you'll have a wide landing area. Otherwise, play to the center of the fairway just short of that bunker. Lay up to the same side of the fairway as the pin. The green is shallow except to the left, so distance control is a must. Another good birdie opportunity if you hit your shots well.
  12. Medium Par 4. Fairway gently slopes to the left in the landing area. You'll have an approach to an elevated green that slopes right to left and back to front. Play your ball short and left of the flat to have an uphill putt. Short is the only place to miss the green.
  13. Shortest Par 3. Definitely the most picturesque hole on the course. Get to center green and two putt for par. Only fire at the flag if it's away from the water. The water right is scary but avoidable if you go for center left of the green. Short left is the best place to miss here. This hole often plays into the wind and right, so pay attention to how the flag is waving or your ball might be pushed into the water.
  14. Mid-length Par 4 to an elevated green. Short of the green and to the same side of the pin is the best miss here. DO NOT MISS LONG. Seems like a straightforward Par 4, but the green complex is undulating. You don't want to be on the opposite side of the green from the hole on your approach.
  15. Mid-length Par 4 with a generous landing area off the tee. Fairway slopes gently to the right so play to the center left side of the fairway. If you can carry your tee shot over the hill, it will catch the downslope and roll down the other side towards the green. This green is probably the largest on the course, so fire away at the flag unless it's right. Don't go long or right on the approach.
  16. Short, drive-able Par 4. Ultimate risk/reward hole here. Often plays slightly downwind. If you can thread your tee shot between the greenside bunkers, you might just make it to the green. Lay up to your best approach distance if you don't feel like driving the green as the green is shallow and requires precise distance control. Long center is the best miss here, but don't go too long.
  17. Long Par 3 with the wind playing downwind and to the left. Short right is the best miss for this green; this will give you an uphill chip/putt. Be happy with a par.
  18. Final hole, Par 5. Fairway is a little tight here with long grass right and hilly, uneven lies left. Fairway slopes to the right, so aim for the middle fairway bunker. The further up the fairway you lay up, the less the water will be in play for your final approach. Weigh the risk/reward of going for it in two as you have water right. Leaving yourself long or left of the green is a difficult up-and-down. 
  • Like 2

Played Talking Stick North this morning. It’s in really good shape! I was really surprised how good it was. It’s been a while since I’ve played there. Last few times I always remember the greens being very grainy and sandy. Greens were rolling true and fast, nearly perfect to be honest. Teed off at 730, was done in 3:40, great pace! 

Pueblo El Mirage. The $30 green fee should tell you everything. Half the tee boxes are in rough shape. Fairway and rough is patchy in some spots. Greens are some of the slowest I've played in a while. Aside from the speed, the greens were in better shape than I was expecting given the conditions.

On 5/12/2021 at 6:48 PM, MUNIGRIT said:

Depending on how many guys you have all I can say is good luck finding several tee times grouped together. As you know everyone is teeing it up these days. There were 2 other large groups at Eagle Mountain when we played there. 

We miraculously were able to get 18 tee times booked at Camelback Ambiente a few days in advance, and we all really enjoyed the course. Not as scenic as Troon or We Ko Pa, but just an all around fun round. 

• Like 1

Sun City Willowcreek yesterday. Course was in nice shape overall, quite firm and fast. Fairways had been verticut earlier in the week but came out fine, though they did a better cleanup job of the clippings on the front nine compared to the back. The greens just putted weird or maybe I was having an off day, putts would start out fast and then just suddenly stop dead, lots of weird breaks too. Probably the least number of putts I've made in the last 100 rounds. The greens did have a very light topdressing on them.

Edited by Bonneville85308

Played Wickenburg ranch big wick yesterday. Extremely fun golf course. Conditions were i think what you expect this time of year in AZ. Greens were good, but fairways had some consistent brown spots. I think they may be either recently aerated or if its from heat burn. Not sure. It was windy and a blast to play. If it wasn't for those spots and conditions were WeKoPa level, it would of probably been my favorite course to play ever. Just so much variety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mretrade said:

Played Wickenburg ranch big wick yesterday. Extremely fun golf course. Conditions were i think what you expect this time of year in AZ. Greens were good, but fairways had some consistent brown spots. I think they may be either recently aerated or if its from heat burn. Not sure. It was windy and a blast to play. If it wasn't for those spots and conditions were WeKoPa level, it would of probably been my favorite course to play ever. Just so much variety.

I wish the course was closer, but of course if it was it would be double the price and impossible to get a decent tee time. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, mretrade said:

Were the fairways dry/firm? I only play there a few times per year in the May-September stretch, but every time I've been there in years past it was completely soaked with no roll. Would be nice to play it with some roll, I've got a tee time there in a few weeks.

9 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Were the fairways dry/firm? I only play there a few times per year in the May-September stretch, but every time I've been there in years past it was completely soaked with no roll. Would be nice to play it with some roll, I've got a tee time there in a few weeks.

I believe it was decently dry. I dont remember it being wet. I felt like I got decent roll. Course was a blast. Gonna play Quintero in a few days to see how it compares. Curious if conditions will be similar or better.

Played Camelback Ambiente Sat AM.  Course was in great condition overall.  Range and practice greens were in good shape too.  A few (very few) brown spots here and there but greens were very good and fairways were tight and firm.  PoP was very good too - tee'd off at 6:50am and finished in 3 hours and 40 min.  Forgot how undulating some of the greens were but overall a great experience.  still pricey ($179) but worth it. 

Sterling Grove yesterday. Summer conditions are here! Group ahead of us told the cart return guys that the course wasn't worth the $$. Maybe they overpaid, who knows. I thought my price was par for the course. Greens were quick but not wild. Fairways had quite the roll after a first big bounce. Some did have some wet spots and thin spots as well. The tall thick fescue type grass has all dried out and is brown.  I think it adds a nice contrast to the course. You'll still lose your ball in the deep stuff but you'll have a better idea of where it went in if you want to hunt for it. Hole 15 had water all along the right side now. I'm assuming to keep the tall grass wet so it doesn't catch on fire. 5 or 6 years from now when the trees really start growing. The course is going to be really nice. I wouldn't be surprised though if the course never goes fully private. I see it going fully private for the fall, winter and early Spring and then opening it up for summer play like most courses do in the area. 

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

8 hours ago, FlashNoonan said:

Sterling Grove yesterday. Summer conditions are here! Group ahead of us told the cart return guys that the course wasn't worth the $$. Maybe they overpaid, who knows. I thought my price was par for the course. Greens were quick but not wild. Fairways had quite the roll after a first big bounce. Some did have some wet spots and thin spots as well. The tall thick fescue type grass has all dried out and is brown.  I think it adds a nice contrast to the course. You'll still lose your ball in the deep stuff but you'll have a better idea of where it went in if you want to hunt for it. Hole 15 had water all along the right side now. I'm assuming to keep the tall grass wet so it doesn't catch on fire. 5 or 6 years from now when the trees really start growing. The course is going to be really nice. I wouldn't be surprised though if the course never goes fully private. I see it going fully private for the fall, winter and early Spring and then opening it up for summer play like most courses do in the area. 

LOL.....the guy above paid $179 for Ambiente and thought it was fair!  Those guys that complained have issues.  Even bad courses are still in the $40 range!

• Like 2

just got back from Scottsdale on Sunday for my first trip out there. Great golf courses, and good times were had.

Thursday-played TPC Champions. Course was in very good shape and pace of play was excellent. The course was a great intro to desert golf. Most balls off the fairway could be found and the course was pretty forgiving off the tee. The bar off the pro shop overlooking 18 was cool as well. A very good course in town for $100. If I ever go back I will play it again.

Fri- 36 at We-Ko-Pa...Ah-Maze-Ing...conditions were unbelievable and the entire atmosphere of the place is top notch. Played Cholla first. I loved it. Yes there were blind shots, and tough elevated greens, but the course layout was awesome. I love playing courses where you have to think your way around and make golf shot (shaping the ball, missing in good spots, etc). The views out there were unreal. I love the split fairways, risk/reward, etc. 

The afternoon we played Saguaro. Course was much more open and straight forward. Their are birdie holes out there, but also several long par 4's that are brutal. Conditions weren't quite as good as Cholla, but excellent non the less. It was a great course as well, but IMO not as good as Cholla. Just one man's opinion......pace of play was brutal though out there. 5 1/2 hrs for both rounds.

Saturday-Quintero.....The par 3's are sick. Pictures do not do them justice. Besides the par 3's I agree with many that said the course is kinda blah, and I agree. However, it is worth the play at least one time for sure. Greens were burnt out and FAST AS ****! Conditions were not as good as we ko pa, but nothing to complain about. The course played extremely tough on Saturday. On the back winds were a steady 25 mph and gusts much higher. For anyone that is making the trip there eat breakfast at the grill. Holy crap the burritos and breakfast sandwhich were badass good. If I were to do it again I would pair it up with Wickenburg and make a day out of it since it is a decent way from town.....

Overall I thank everyone who contributes here that help made our trip what it was. Weather was excellent and non of the courses disappointed us....

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Austincountyag said:

just got back from Scottsdale on Sunday for my first trip out there. Great golf courses, and good times were had.

Thursday-played TPC Champions. Course was in very good shape and pace of play was excellent. The course was a great intro to desert golf. Most balls off the fairway could be found and the course was pretty forgiving off the tee. The bar off the pro shop overlooking 18 was cool as well. A very good course in town for $100. If I ever go back I will play it again.

Fri- 36 at We-Ko-Pa...Ah-Maze-Ing...conditions were unbelievable and the entire atmosphere of the place is top notch. Played Cholla first. I loved it. Yes there were blind shots, and tough elevated greens, but the course layout was awesome. I love playing courses where you have to think your way around and make golf shot (shaping the ball, missing in good spots, etc). The views out there were unreal. I love the split fairways, risk/reward, etc. 

The afternoon we played Saguaro. Course was much more open and straight forward. Their are birdie holes out there, but also several long par 4's that are brutal. Conditions weren't quite as good as Cholla, but excellent non the less. It was a great course as well, but IMO not as good as Cholla. Just one man's opinion......pace of play was brutal though out there. 5 1/2 hrs for both rounds.

Saturday-Quintero.....The par 3's are sick. Pictures do not do them justice. Besides the par 3's I agree with many that said the course is kinda blah, and I agree. However, it is worth the play at least one time for sure. Greens were burnt out and FAST AS ****! Conditions were not as good as we ko pa, but nothing to complain about. The course played extremely tough on Saturday. On the back winds were a steady 25 mph and gusts much higher. For anyone that is making the trip there eat breakfast at the grill. Holy crap the burritos and breakfast sandwhich were badass good. If I were to do it again I would pair it up with Wickenburg and make a day out of it since it is a decent way from town.....

Overall I thank everyone who contributes here that help made our trip what it was. Weather was excellent and non of the courses disappointed us....

I always appreciate posts from a visitors perspective.  I know at times I get quite jaded regarding a courses strengths and weaknesses.  I used to try and dissuade my out of town friends from playing quintero and TPC stadium (more hype than champions), and Cholla, but now I just tag along and enjoy the fun they are having.  And really, they all are good golf courses for various reasons, even if they arent top 100.

Edited by vallygolf

Wrapping up my trip now 8 rounds, 5 courses in 6 days.  Pretty awesome trip, this seems like a really good time of year to come pricing / weather / condition wise. Of the courses I played here is my ranking and thoughts.

1.  We-Ko-Pa - Saguaro really fun course, great views. Love that there are no homes in view. First and 10th holes playing downhill from the clubhouse are really nice. First par 5 on the back is another nice hole. Mixture of challenging and more straight forward green complexes. Pretty wide open for the desert.  Condition wise both We-Ko-Pa courses I'd give 7/10 losing a few points for being the slowest greens of the week and needing more sand in the bunkers IMO. 

2. We-Ko-Pa - Cholla I know lots of people say this is target golf, I was expecting it to be tighter than it actually was. I was expecting not to enjoy this nearly as much as I did. Yes there are a lot of doglegs but they aren't super tight. Playing the right tees is probably pretty important (I played purple, 6700). Pace of play at both We-Ko-Pa courses was pushing pretty close to 5 hours and there was one group playing music very loud during my Saguaro round which took away from the experience a little bit, luckily we played through them on 7. 

3. Anthem CC - Ironwood clubcorp course in a gated community of what appears to be mostly retirees. I went off by myself around lunchtime and basically had the place to myself which probably added to the experience. Homes in view but not really in play, some cool elevation changes. Condition was a 9/10 only negative was greens were a little grainy and harder to hold but nothing extreme. (Apparently they are new). Some really good fairway bunkering that challenges you to pick the correct line and trust it. Usually more open than it appears from the tee but the course is challenging for sure. Really good mix of par 3s. 

4. Greyhawk - Talon - Played 36 here yesterday condition wise 10/10, one of the best manicured courses I have played. First par 3 on the back is awesome, first par 5 on the front dogleg left with deep bunkering by the green is really good. They had the pin back right behind those bunkers yesterday too which upped the challenge.  Made double by hitting my approach in those bunkers the first go around and par the second time around.  Par 4s were a little bland and repetitive, course doesn't have the elevation changes of the 3 above but is still a really nice course I'd be happy to play anytime. Isabelle's Kitchen onsite was very good. Definitely a good place to make it a full day with 36 and lunch and dinner. Would play again in a 36 hole day with Raptor next trip but probably would try something different for the price next time if I came again during the NCAAs and only talon was available. 

5. Gainey Ranch CC - Dunes / Arroyo not nearly as bad as some of the reviews in this forum make it sound but it's a pretty generic clubcorp course routed through a community.  Range sucks too, I definitely wouldn't join as a member and idk if I'd want to pay the full guest fees but for 30 bucks I don't regret playing it.  The dry lateral hazards that you can easily play out of are weird, the course would be a lot better if those were desert IMO. Conditioning was good 8/10.  Pretty short course, played the tips at 6650. 

• Like 2

Thursday at Southern Dunes. Great conditions. Teed off at 7:30. Plenty of waiting but was still only 4:20. Such a fun layout. Only my 2nd trip around, but might be my favorite course, that I've been able to play, in AZ. 

Friday at Verrado Founders. First time playing any course on the west side. Also great conditions. Great views from the foothills. Teed off at 6:40. Got around in 3:20 minutes. Plenty of cars in the lot when we got done but we never saw a anybody getting out that early. 

• Like 1

Rancho Mańana today. 

I know, I know, shouldn’t have played there in the first place, but…. Friends came into town and they had booked it. So I got drug into it. 😜

Just a poop show. 

First 8 sets of tee boxes were closed for maintenance. So….. We had to play from the reds for the first 8 tee boxes. I’m all about teeing it forward from time to time but Rancho is such a crap layout to begin with that it was hard to find out what to play and where to land the ball. All the par 4’s were short of 280 and the first par 5 was 393. 

Crap happens, but to then have the balls to charge full price was insult to injury. I knew it was $75 going in but the turds in the pro shop didn’t say a thing. The starter is the one who told us after we paid and we’re called to the tee by the starter, extremely shady AF in my opinion. They basically have you bent over. We were there, didn’t have any other options at that point to take our group elsewhere so we took it with no lube. Guys in the pro shop refused to adjust the price as well after a buddy attempted to see what they could do. 

As far as condition, it was in average summer condition, with below average greens, inconsistent in speeds and inconsistent with holding shots.  

Somehow I get sucked into Rancho every few years, I can say 100% it will never happen again. Screw Rancho and their non existent, shady “customer service”. Again it’s not about the tee boxes being closed, stuff happens, it’s how they were so shady about it. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Rancho Mańana today. 

I know, I know, shouldn’t have played there in the first place, but…. Friends came into town and they had booked it. So I got drug into it. 😜

Just a poop show. 

First 8 sets of tee boxes were closed for maintenance. So….. We had to play from the reds for the first 8 tee boxes. I’m all about teeing it forward from time to time but Rancho is such a crap layout to begin with that it was hard to find out what to play and where to land the ball. All the par 4’s were short of 280 and the first par 5 was 393. 

Crap happens, but to then have the balls to charge full price was insult to injury. I knew it was $75 going in but the turds in the pro shop didn’t say a thing. The starter is the one who told us after we paid and we’re called to the tee by the starter, extremely shady AF in my opinion. They basically have you bent over. We were there, didn’t have any other options at that point to take our group elsewhere so we took it with no lube. Guys in the pro shop refused to adjust the price as well after a buddy attempted to see what they could do. 

As far as condition, it was in average summer condition, with below average greens, inconsistent in speeds and inconsistent with holding shots.  

Somehow I get sucked into Rancho every few years, I can say 100% it will never happen again. Screw Rancho and their non existent, shady “customer service”. Again it’s not about the tee boxes being closed, stuff happens, it’s how they were so shady about it. 

pro tip: they can’t screw your over if you burn the clubhouse down

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

16 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Rancho Mańana today. 

Just a poop show. 

When you go to book any tee time on their website, it does give a warning "Beginning May 5th, Rancho Manana will begin renovation and improvements on our tee boxes. Some tee boxes may be recently leveled and sodded and, therefore closed. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you." If the person who booked the time in your group did it over the phone, there is a possibility that the person in the shop said nothing. I do feel your pain as I got screwed on this sort of thing at Stonecreek a few years ago (also the last time I played there, it was the straw that broke this camel's back regarding that course), they had a bunch of tee boxes closed on the front nine to the point they moved all the tee markers to the beginning of the fairway, yet no mention on the website, nothing from the shop attendant, no discount, until you got on the course and found out about it.

I don't like the course anyway, but I play it maybe once a year because a good friend/infrequent golfer really likes it. We were going to play it a few weeks ago but said forget it when I saw that warning on the tee time booking page.

On 5/24/2021 at 9:36 AM, FlashNoonan said:

The water on 15 up to the tees is a result of incompetence action by the delivery of water to 15-16 lake.  The super has to order water for irrigation (not sure the company or source) and this is the third time they delivered more than requested.

I am no longer working at Sterling Grove, but have played it and your review is accurate.  Course is still playing under great conditions.  They are planning on aerating tees/fairways early June and Greens around July 4th.

Edited by Mr. Clean

7 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

When you go to book any tee time on their website, it does give a warning "Beginning May 5th, Rancho Manana will begin renovation and improvements on our tee boxes. Some tee boxes may be recently leveled and sodded and, therefore closed. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you." If the person who booked the time in your group did it over the phone, there is a possibility that the person in the shop said nothing. I do feel your pain as I got screwed on this sort of thing at Stonecreek a few years ago (also the last time I played there, it was the straw that broke this camel's back regarding that course), they had a bunch of tee boxes closed on the front nine to the point they moved all the tee markers to the beginning of the fairway, yet no mention on the website, nothing from the shop attendant, no discount, until you got on the course and found out about it.

I don't like the course anyway, but I play it maybe once a year because a good friend/infrequent golfer really likes it. We were going to play it a few weeks ago but said forget it when I saw that warning on the tee time booking page.

Yeah, he called the course directly, it is what it is, oh well. 

Woof, Stonecreek is a mess too, especially during monsoon season. 

41 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

TPC Champions is in sensational shape - such a bummer that they are going to aerate soon.  Played another round after the first today because it was so good.

Played there today too. Everything was perfect. Too bad they just lost their superintendent....hopefully new guy keeps it up! 

• Like 1