2021 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

Played GCU on Saturday... It is trash right now.  Sandy greens with patches of summer grass popping up everywhere, so bad that it knocked putts offline as it transitioned from sand to grass, back to sand.  Also most of the fairways are burned out. Just trash...

PING G425 Max   10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 LST  14.5 TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G410 19* Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex
PING i500 4-PW w/ PX LZ 5.5 shafts   
PING Glide 3  46*/50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0 Black Out shafts

PING Sigma 2 Wolverine       

That's a bummer about GCU. They seem to always have trouble in the summer. 

I played Rancho Manana on Saturday in the Grint Tour tournament. I echo the words of AzSuperHack. This is the first time I ever played it. I played really well so I guess it didn't bother me too much though. The greens are really small, probably the smallest I've ever played on. The thing I didn't like is the course didn't tell the tournament about the tee boxes until the day of. The course could have informed them way ahead of time since the tournament has been scheduled since the early parts of Feb, maybe even January. You can't tell me that tee box restoration was a last minute thing to pop up. 

• Like 2

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Ping Vault Anser 2 – KBS CT Tour 

Posted (edited)

Busy weekend of golf for me...

Arizona CC on Friday - was a guest of a co-worker.  Course was in superb condition.  A few transition areas on tees and fairways.  It's a traditional parkland course, but they did a lot with the to give the course good character.  Course was not busy and pace of play was great at 3:40. I learned that they have completely shut down membership applications until Jan. 1, and a 10 year wait list for full golf membership.  

Los Caballeros and Wick Ranch on Saturday - Los Cab is about the same I remember.  Course is very soft all around which resulted in quite a few mud balls. It is never in terrible condition, but also never in top shape.  Greens were slower especially when putting against the grain.  I still think it has 2 of the hardest par 5s in Arizona (7 and 13).  A lot of people don't like the course, but I enjoy the "old school" feel and variety of holes.  

Wick Ranch was transitioning everything to summer bermuda grass, except the greens.  Played pretty firm all around, but didn't really effect anything.  Bunkers seemed to need some new sand as several were crunchy and firm.  This might be my favorite public course in Arizona considering the layout and conditions.  Pace was right at 4 hours.

TPC Champions on Sunday - As mentioned above, the course was nearly perfect, except a few soggy spots from the morning sprinklers.  Seemed to dry out nicely.  Greens were the best rye greens I have seen in June in a while.

Overall, a great weekend of golf.  Now I just need some rest!

Edited by azgolfer44
  • Like 1

Played We-Ko-Pa Saguaro on Wednesday, 7:40am tee time. Conditions were superb, wet spots around lows areas of greens from morning sprinklers. Greens were a little slow but held nicely. Took right at 4 hours to play, got held up by a foursome playing the tips and had no business playing the tips. 

Current WITB:

Taylormade Sim 2- Adilia Rogue Silver 6.5

Callaway Epic Flash- Project X HZDRUS Smoke 6.5

PXG 19* Hybrid- Adilia NV Green 6.5

Taylormade P790 5-PW- Project X Precision 6.5

Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60- True Temper X100

Taylormade Spider X- KBS Tour Shaft

Posted (edited)

Aguila this morning. Some fairways have numerous "transitional" small burnt out areas. Course is playing firm with hardly any wet spots even for early AM. Greens were a bit slower than they had been in recent weeks but were in nice condition and were holding shots. They are being aerated this coming week. 

Pace was slow for early morning at 4:15, some group of turds that teed off about 6:16 had at least 2 open holes ahead of them most of the time.

Edited by Bonneville85308

On 6/4/2021 at 5:44 PM, MUNIGRIT said:

Talking Stick PDP program is restricting you to 1 bag of balls starting in a week or so. There are too many regulars that spend hours there hogging the range in the AM so that is why they are going to 1 bag. What sucks is those guys know the workers and will still hit as many balls as they want.

Gotta take care of the regulars. At any business.

On 6/1/2021 at 1:50 PM, azgolfer44 said:

Busy weekend of golf for me...

Arizona CC on Friday - was a guest of a co-worker.  Course was in superb condition.  A few transition areas on tees and fairways.  It's a traditional parkland course, but they did a lot with the to give the course good character.  Course was not busy and pace of play was great at 3:40. I learned that they have completely shut down membership applications until Jan. 1, and a 10 year wait list for full golf membership.  

Los Caballeros and Wick Ranch on Saturday - Los Cab is about the same I remember.  Course is very soft all around which resulted in quite a few mud balls. It is never in terrible condition, but also never in top shape.  Greens were slower especially when putting against the grain.  I still think it has 2 of the hardest par 5s in Arizona (7 and 13).  A lot of people don't like the course, but I enjoy the "old school" feel and variety of holes.  

Wick Ranch was transitioning everything to summer bermuda grass, except the greens.  Played pretty firm all around, but didn't really effect anything.  Bunkers seemed to need some new sand as several were crunchy and firm.  This might be my favorite public course in Arizona considering the layout and conditions.  Pace was right at 4 hours.

TPC Champions on Sunday - As mentioned above, the course was nearly perfect, except a few soggy spots from the morning sprinklers.  Seemed to dry out nicely.  Greens were the best rye greens I have seen in June in a while.

Overall, a great weekend of golf.  Now I just need some rest!

Members wouldn’t appreciate Wick being called a public course.

Callaway Epic Speed 9* playing at 8* PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* DG S300

Callaway Jaws MD5 56* & 60* S200

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

33 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Gotta take care of the regulars. At any business.

Members wouldn’t appreciate Wick being called a public course.

I normally agree except the ones who use the range for their morning coffee gossip are the ones who have forced the club to drop the bag count from 2 bags to 1 bag. As someone who can only get to the course to hit balls 1 to 2 times a week at best this sucks. 

Talking Stick - O'odham today at 7:13. This course was in great shape. My first trip around and finished in 4:10. This course doesn't seem to get much love on this forum because it is "flat and easy". It is very generous off the tee to be sure. It gets a little more complicated around the greens though. I know Coore/Crenshaw could design something more demanding but I'm guessing the Resort got what they wanted, something their clients could enjoy and not feel beat-up afterward. Oh...and that 12th green is very tight to the boundary. The range is kind of an issue when they have a shot-gun going off the other course. The little space they allow was packed and people were waiting for a spot. Of course there was a ton of room reserved for the Golf School.

Corte Bella yesterday. Fairways were fast and firm. Some tee boxes are crowning. Green rolled true and sped up later in the round. Bunkers were hit or miss, mostly miss. I ended up playing with a member and he said the bunkers are just about due for a refresh and covid didn't help the bunker conditions either. Overall a nice course, I'd definitely play it again. 

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Ping Vault Anser 2 – KBS CT Tour 

As much as I love Papago, the greens are pretty bad right now and desperately need aerification, which starts a week from today.  My two cents is that they pushed them very hard for the ASU men’s and ladies’ events, which made them awesome at the time, but put too much stress on the winter rye to hold up under the heat. The rest of the course is good, especially the fairways.  I still enjoy the course no matter the conditions.

On 6/7/2021 at 8:08 PM, azgolfer44 said:

As much as I love Papago, the greens are pretty bad right now and desperately need aerification, which starts a week from today.  My two cents is that they pushed them very hard for the ASU men’s and ladies’ events, which made them awesome at the time, but put too much stress on the winter rye to hold up under the heat. The rest of the course is good, especially the fairways.  I still enjoy the course no matter the conditions.

I agree. Normally play there twice a week or so and just this week I noticed the greens are particularly bad. I am new to AZ so don't know the process, will the greens take some time to get back into good condition after the aerification?  I have a tee time for next Sunday and am wondering whether it would be better to go elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, timothy.d.moore said:

I agree. Normally play there twice a week or so and just this week I noticed the greens are particularly bad. I am new to AZ so don't know the process, will the greens take some time to get back into good condition after the aerification?  I have a tee time for next Sunday and am wondering whether it would be better to go elsewhere. 

Yes it will take 2-4 weeks for them to heal fully.

• Thanks 1

Legacy this morning. Greens were great, no blemishes and fast once they dried out. Fairways were very wet as to be expected, some patchy areas but most of the fairways were in good condition. I did end up in one greenside bunker on the front nine that was basically concrete.

Finished in 3:40 even though one of the randos in my group would not stop bitching literally every 2 minutes the entire round about having to wait on the people in front of us, he even complained to the ranger about it and I'm pretty sure hit into them at least twice. I finally found someone more impatient than I am, even I wanted him to STFU.

Good deal for the $45 w/tax I paid, range balls included. It seems like on their online tee sheet when there is a single spot remaining in a tee time, they offer it for a lower price than the normal rate. Was given a solo cart without even asking which is a major plus to me.

Copper Canyon this morning, Lake & Mountain nines. Wow...beautiful conditions all around. Greens were slower than what I experienced at Legacy yesterday, but rolled smoother and were receptive to approach shots. Fairways on Lake were absolutely perfect, on Mountain there were a few very small browned but not bare spots, they were fine to hit off of. Tees perfect, bunkers perfect, everything was nicely detailed and well kept. Fairways were still firm and the ball was rolling even though wet from irrigation. Rough was cut very short.

Pace was 3:30 as a foursome and I paid about $45 which included range balls. Like yesterday at Legacy, they gave me a solo cart without me asking rather than putting me with one of the other singles. Totally worth the drive.

If I had to complain about anything about CC...I wish they would have made the routing realistically walkable, and starting a morning round on Lake is a b****; your first shot of the day is a mid-length par 3 over a pond hitting directly into the sun.

• Like 1

Verde River today at 9:00. I was paired with a threesome and had my own cart. Free bottled water which is a nice touch. One of the guys (not a member) said they were going totally private in September. Apparently they can't build the housing fast enough out there. It's a fun layout with some great views. Got around in 4:10. Most of the course was acceptable and what you might see this time of year. There were some really tight lies that were also very soft... a challenge I wasn't up to. 😉 Now for the greens. I can't really tell you how fast they were because it depended on how much Bermuda grass there was on any given green. Overall it might have been about 50/50. The browned-out overseed offered no resistance. It would roll forever. Also not very accepting of anything short of a well struck shot. Overall I was glad I got to play it before the move to private. 

Posted (edited)

Gcu was pretty bad today. Lots of spots with no grass in fairways and rough. Greens  putted okay but still tough shape. Bunkers were best part of the course. Everything was super wet. Rate was $48 with balls. Over 4 hours for a pre 6 am tee time. Ouch. I am playing encanto cup there next week, otherwise I’d stay away. 

Edited by azgolfer44
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, azgolfer44 said:

Gcu was pretty bad today. Lots of spots with no grass in fairways and rough. Greens  putted okay but still tough shape. Bunkers were best part of the course. Everything was super wet. Rate was $48 with balls. Over 4 hours for a pre 6 am tee time. Ouch. I am playing encanto cup there next week, otherwise I’d stay away. 

.,.. Wow, $48 for GCU is out right robbery this time of year. Raven is only $35 and Legacy $22 in the afternoons. 

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 65R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max Hy 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
TaylorMade MG3 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

Saturday TN Monument great shape tee to green couple wet spots that's to be expected bunkers solid and played again this

morning about 420

Talon Saturday Afternoon slight notch below Troon but over all very solid pace 410 teeing off at 230

Saguaro this afternoon great conditions also

Raptor tomorrow 

All in all I've made close to 60 trips out here these are the best summer conditions Ive seen

My only nitpick was WEKOPA lets get the coolers out there

• Like 1