2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

... Played Ambiente on Thursday and despite the heavy rain and CPO, it was in really good shape. The greens looked bumpy but rolled very true. I had 7 birdies including rolling in a 45 footer so obviously I loved the speed and condition of the greens. Can't wait to go back and play it again! 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Aguila was great on wed, you could see the punches on the greens but didn’t throw anything off. Southern dunes on Thursday , great shape  minus bunkers(ground under repair), greens rolled nice, mosquitoes out of control as expected. All 18 open 

• Like 1

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

May have missed it if it was posted somewhere else, but anyway, received this email from the Verde River Golf Club:

"LAST CHANCE TO PLAY BEFORE WE GO PRIVATE!

Verde River Golf & Social Club Goes Fully Private After Overseeding.

First off, we would like thank each one of you for making the golf course at Verde River Golf & Social Club what it is today. Whether you've come out to play once or many times, we appreciate your support throughout the past 5 years.

When the course re-opens from overseeding this fall, Verde River Golf & Social Club will no longer be accepting daily fee play. Of course, we will continue to have guests of Golf Members, reciprocal play from other private clubs, and occasional events, but we have achieved the goal we’ve all shared together: to become a fully private golf club.

We hope you can experience our course one more time before we close for overseeding on October 11th. The course is in great shape. With all of the recent rain, conditions are very healthy and ready for play."

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Saw the oddest thing this morning.  Went out for a bike ride and passed by the Superstition Springs GC on the canal bank.   Passing the 14th green, I noticed the group of dudes on the green all wearing tank tops.  "that's kind of casual..." I thought to myself.

I then pass the 15th tee, group of guys wearing tank tops. (?)

16th tee, fairway, green, 17th tee...  every group wearing tank tops.   ??

Some sort of Bubba tournament happening, I guess...    🤔  LOL

• Haha 3

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro on Saturday. Everything was in great shape as was Cholla two weeks ago. Played as a single in a group of 7 guys from Oklahoma on an annual trip. They we tons of fun to play with and they went on to play Cholla in the afternoon. I was happy to play well and go home after 18 holes. I'm pretty sure Cholla would empty their bags of all golf balls and send those Sooners packing. 😀

For the AZ resident rate ($49) this is the best bargain/facility you can find in the summer. Heading back next week before rates go up Labor Day weekend ($85). Looks like next summer it will be $55. 

• Like 1

Can 2nd that We-Ko-Pa is in great shape. 

Also played Raven (phoenix) sunday at it is in absolutely perfect shape.  Probably the best conditions of the year for me.  Price tag is a little steep at $90 for a summer tee time but seems like that is where we're at in the valley currently. 

Ping G430 Max 10k
Ping G430 2 Hybrid
Ping I230 4-PW KBS Ctaper Lite S+
Ping Forged 50* 54* 60*
Ping D60

5 hours ago, Olson12 said:

Can 2nd that We-Ko-Pa is in great shape. 

Also played Raven (phoenix) sunday at it is in absolutely perfect shape.  Probably the best conditions of the year for me.  Price tag is a little steep at $90 for a summer tee time but seems like that is where we're at in the valley currently. 

.. Wow, I play twilite golf and bought the Arcis Players Club membership for Aug/Sept ($55) and it is only $25 for me to play so the card paid for itself in the first week as resident rates are only $35 at twilite. 

... Does We Ko Pa actually make you show your drivers license? One of the few highly recommended courses I have not played. I moved here in December but won't get my AZ DL until I move into my new home at the end of October. No use getting a license only to change it a few months later. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

12 minutes ago, chisag said:

.. Wow, I play twilite golf and bought the Arcis Players Club membership for Aug/Sept ($55) and it is only $25 for me to play so the card paid for itself in the first week as resident rates are only $35 at twilite. 

... Does We Ko Pa actually make you show your drivers license? One of the few highly recommended courses I have not played. I moved here in December but won't get my AZ DL until I move into my new home at the end of October. No use getting a license only to change it a few months later. 

Hit and Miss - I have seen guys get called out for booking resident times and being from out of state and other times nothing.

Rather than risk it - give me some options and you can join me at my pass rate; maybe we can get a couple of others to join.  Caveat - 4 days out only.

Anyone play Eagle Mountain in the last couple weeks? I know it was really rough there earlier this summer. I received some emails from Eagle Mountain claiming their renovation is complete and conditions are improved. There are online reviews from as recent as 3-4 weeks ago claiming it is terrible so I'm curious whether they really turned it around or not. Rates are under $50 for AZ residents so I'm tempted to give it a try and check this off my list as one of the few public courses north of the Salt River that I haven't played.

14 hours ago, chisag said:

The first time I played there, last summer, they asked to see my AZ DL. After that you are in their data base and they haven't asked since.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Anyone play Eagle Mountain in the last couple weeks? I know it was really rough there earlier this summer. I received some emails from Eagle Mountain claiming their renovation is complete and conditions are improved. There are online reviews from as recent as 3-4 weeks ago claiming it is terrible so I'm curious whether they really turned it around or not. Rates are under $50 for AZ residents so I'm tempted to give it a try and check this off my list as one of the few public courses north of the Salt River that I haven't played.

fwiw - I had a event planned for Sep 11 at EM and the TC went and had a look to see if it improved and ultimately moved it to the Phoenecian.   

"Renovation complete" is just a statement of fact;  "conditions improved" is a measure of level - when playing off bare dirt is the starting point, "improved" can mean any sort of level. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

fwiw - I had a event planned for Sep 11 at EM and the TC went and had a look to see if it improved and ultimately moved it to the Phoenecian.   

"Renovation complete" is just a statement of fact;  "conditions improved" is a measure of level - when playing off bare dirt is the starting point, "improved" can mean any sort of level. 

Thanks. The "renovation" supposedly centered around bunkers, drainage, and irrigation, so absent of proof otherwise, the greens and fairways could still be crap. 

2 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Woof, conditions must still be rough if they are choosing the Phoenecian over EM. 

• Haha 1

Aguila was in beautiful condition early this morning. Greens back to normal after the aeration a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe how thick/dense the rough was. It wasn't that high, but the ball would really nestle down in it. Not really any wet spots I noticed in the fairway. Pace was bit slower than I normally experience there for a very early tee time at a little over 4 hours, but it looked like some of the first few groups of the day weren't in any hurry. There were a lot of mosquitoes out there particularly on the front nine so I'd suggest bringing spray.

As a bonus, they have done a very nice complete remodeling job on the men's bathroom in the clubhouse.

• Like 3

Saguaro for the 2nd weekend straight. Had to play it again once more before rates go back up.  Played a different high-end golf course at summer rates each week starting Memorial weekend. Part of my own "Summer Tour" if you will. I was able to steer clear of poorly conditioned and/or aerated greens/courses thanks to postings on this forum. Thanks for that. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ConnorPGA said:

Anyone looking to house a golf pro for this winter season in the PHX area. I am from Colorado and looking for a place to stay (I can pay a reasonable rent). Currently have an offer at Desert Mountain and am still searching for other opportunities as well. 

If you are able to access to the Desert Mt. courses you really couldn't be in a better spot. Good luck in your search! 

10 hours ago, ConnorPGA said:

Anyone looking to house a golf pro for this winter season in the PHX area. I am from Colorado and looking for a place to stay (I can pay a reasonable rent). Currently have an offer at Desert Mountain and am still searching for other opportunities as well. 

No availability here, but I have to chuckle at the post.  I see a guy suddenly sitting up in the morning waking up with hair sticking up and sleepy face to the epiphany "Im looking to house a golf pro this winter, where can I find one of those".  Best of luck finding what you need.

• Haha 1

Papago was in great condition this morning, way better than my last visit 3-4 weeks ago before the greens aeration. Greens are pretty much healed from the aeration and rolled fine but not back to full usual Papago speed yet. The large burnt spots in the fairways are just about all gone, rough is healthy but not ridiculous. The green aprons/collars where new sod was put in now blend in well, with some minor small-tine aeration done on a few recently but were fine to play off of. I wasn't in any bunkers but it looks like a few steep ones had some erosion issues on the banks from the recent rains. Pace 3:50. Aguila is still in better condition overall.

4 hours ago, vallygolf said:

No availability here, but I have to chuckle at the post.  I see a guy suddenly sitting up in the morning waking up with hair sticking up and sleepy face to the epiphany "Im looking to house a golf pro this winter, where can I find one of those".  Best of luck finding what you need.

Haha your take is valid! I wanted to shoot my shot at fellow WRXers before I resort to craigslist. In a perfect world his name is Mike or Rich. He's 67, an 18 handicap, and undoubtedly has a passion for fine cigars.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

If you are able to access to the Desert Mt. courses you really couldn't be in a better spot. Good luck in your search! 

Okay that is good to hear. I appreciate your feedback. I have an interview w/ Mirabel CC this week as well. The only reason I would lean towards Mirabel CC would be the opportunity for tips (DM is a non-tipping club). That being said I think with the operation at DM being as large as it is there will be much more opportunity for everything. Networking should be bountiful and having 7 different courses on property at my disposal sounds like a dream (im sure there is a catch as far as how often I can play but I have yet to find out)! Everyone knows we golf pros are not in the industry for the money but it sounds like there are caddy and valet opportunities if I want to pick up hours at DM. I have this vision in my head of how amazing this place must be. I am eager to disprove my surely ignorant expectations/imagination and discover what reality is truly like at their facility. 

18 minutes ago, cbbaron said:

Anyone play Legend Trail recently? Flying in Saturday for a few days need a nice warm up course before playing Troon and Grayhawk for a few days. Legend Trails deal seem really inexpensive

I played Legend Trail on August 1st. The course was in really good shape at that point. Greens were nice but a little on the slow side. 

• Like 1