2021 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

1 hour ago, cbbaron said:

Anyone play Legend Trail recently? Flying in Saturday for a few days need a nice warm up course before playing Troon and Grayhawk for a few days. Legend Trails deal seem really inexpensive

Looks like they close for overseed on 9/13 so be aware of that. Legend Trail tends to overseed early, though the extended weather forecast is calling for highs in the low 100s all that week so who knows if they will stick to that plan or not.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

Mosquitos and Flies have been really annoying this year. Last few courses I played were MCDOWELL MT and Legend Trail. It sucks we have Mosquitos here in AZ now. I live by the 5th hole on the Raptor course and my back yard is infested with them at night. Make sure you have bug spray when you leave the house now.

Edited by MUNIGRIT
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Mosquitos and Flies have been really annoying this year. Last few courses I played were MCDOWELL MT and Legend Trail. It sucks we have Mosquitos here in AZ now. I live by the 5th hole on the Raptor course and my back yard is infested with them at night. Make sure you have bug spray when you leave the house now.

Get some planters and put some peppermint, cintronella, lavender and basil.   This should really improve even get rid of them, plus you will have fresh herbs and flowers when needed. 

• Like 1

Sterling Grove today. It's so good right now. Fast and firm!! The new "native grass" is starting to fill in where the original thick stuff was. Greens are softening up slightly, putting true and fast. A lot of the break was really exaggerated at the hole today, haven't seen them play like that before. Bugs were out there but nothing terrible, a quick spray before tee off and I was good. Teed off at 730, got around in 3 hours playing through one group. 

• Like 1

Anyone play AZ Golf Resort recently that can comment on conditions ? I fully recognize it is regarded as a very low-end course of little architectural merit. However, I have a free voucher to use there that my spouse won in a raffle, and was thinking of using it on Sept. 18th because it seems like almost all of the courses in the valley I would otherwise play have outings or tournaments going on that day. Just wondering if it's a total cow pasture or what. I've never played it, free is free, but I need at least some grass to hit off of and greens stimping over 3.

• Haha 1

... Trying not to step on an obviously frightened baby rabbit that waited to the last second then darted out from under a small bush, I tripped and gave myself turf toe slamming into a root. That said, I took 8 days off and The Raven went from ideal conditions on the greens to aerated greens while I was gone. I played yesterday and they are rolling surprisingly well for aeration but nothing like they were before my Save The Rabbit maneuver. I joined Arcis/Raven for Aug/Sept to take advantage of the shade the trees provide in this 110-115* heat so I need to get my moneys worth before October rolls around.  I'll post again when they seem back to normal.

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 65R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max Hy 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
TaylorMade MG3 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

On 9/9/2021 at 12:29 PM, Bonneville85308 said:

Anyone play AZ Golf Resort recently that can comment on conditions ? I fully recognize it is regarded as a very low-end course of little architectural merit. However, I have a free voucher to use there that my spouse won in a raffle, and was thinking of using it on Sept. 18th because it seems like almost all of the courses in the valley I would otherwise play have outings or tournaments going on that day. Just wondering if it's a total cow pasture or what. I've never played it, free is free, but I need at least some grass to hit off of and greens stimping over 3.

You’ll be fine, it’s not great but there’s grass and it’s maintained , greens faster than 3 for sure haha

Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set @ 19* evenflow 6.5

Srixon z765 4-PW C-Taper 130x

scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled 1i

On 9/9/2021 at 12:29 PM, Bonneville85308 said:

Set it on fire. At least you'll get heat for a minute, which is more than you'll get from AZ Golf "Resort".

• Haha 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

2 hours ago, YMark said:

Set it on fire. At least you'll get heat for a minute, which is more than you'll get from AZ Golf "Resort".

As tempting as free was at AZ Golf Resort, I checked the tee sheet at Aguila a few minutes ago and an early tee time just opened up so I pounced on it,  I'd much rather pay to play there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

As tempting as free was at AZ Golf Resort, I checked the tee sheet at Aguila a few minutes ago and an early tee time just opened up so I pounced on it,  I'd much rather pay to play there.

Great move. I love Aguila.

• Like 1

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

On 9/8/2021 at 10:48 AM, robcha said:

Played Talking Stick South 2 times last week (Monday & Friday, hoping it got better) and boy do they have a Gnat/Fly infestation. Couldn't focus at all with them flying on the face/eyes and buzzing in the ears. 

Holy smokes, you nailed this....bug spray did nothing.  I had bugs in my ears, enough protein swallowed, right in my eyes.  I had one go up my nose mid swing.  

Greens are terribly slow; fairways were nice to hit off and bunkers were good.

But I don't want to play with all them bugs!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Holy smokes, you nailed this....bug spray did nothing.  I had bugs in my ears, enough protein swallowed, right in my eyes.  I had one go up my nose mid swing.  

It's pretty miserable. I don't remember the prior years being this bad.... 

Would avidly tell anybody to avoid this course until they get a control on it. 

GCU this morning. I was pleasantly surprised with the course conditions after hearing reports earlier this summer. Fairways are great, bunkers are decent., greens are good, fast and rolling well. There are a few wet areas and a few areas under repair throughout the course but overall its in solid shape. 

Teed off at 0730, finished at 11. 

On 9/12/2021 at 9:04 PM, robcha said:

It's pretty miserable. I don't remember the prior years being this bad.... 

Would avidly tell anybody to avoid this course until they get a control on it. 

On 9/12/2021 at 1:35 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

My wife got got hammered by bugs Sunday at Southern Dunes somehow I got left alone

... I moved here December 2020 so this is my first Overseed season. I found the Phoenix AGA schedule but it just lists dates and doesn't say how long the course is closed. Are there any tricks to knowing when and where or how long the course is closed? And how bad are the greens when they re-open? Do you guys just use Golfnow/Teetimes.com to find which courses are open? Thanks in advance! 

Edited by chisag

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I moved here December 2020 so this is my first Overseed season. I found the Phoenix City schedule but it just lists dates and doesn't say how long the course is closed. Are there any tricks to knowing when and where or how long the course is closed? And how bad are the greens when they re-open? Do you guys just use Golfnow/Teetimes.com to find which courses are open? Thanks in advance! 

If you are talking about this City of Phoenix schedule https://www.phoenix.gov/parkssite/Documents/PKS_Golf/PKS_Golf_Aerification_Overseeding_Schedule.pdf

then the dates listed are the actual closure dates. Aguila says October 4 to October 17, that means the last day it is open is October 3 and it reopens for play on the 18th. And on the schedule the AZ Golf Association publishes, the dates listed are the actual closure dates.

... Thanks, that answers my main question. 👍  I edited my post as I used the AGA:

https://www.azgolf.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2021/09/2021-Overseed-Schedule-9-10.pdf

... Thanks! 

Most courses close for overseeding on a Monday. You don't want to play a course on the Sunday before they close because courses usually start drying out and scalping a few days before they close. The preceding Sunday is the last weekend day to play before overseeding and most courses at that point will be in great shape and prices low.

After overseeding, the more time the better. 2 weeks is not enough time. 4 weeks isn't too bad but greens will still be slow and it'll be cart path only to around 6 weeks, depends on the weather. Conditions will be soggy. Prices will be up. Good time to play walking courses.

Edited by quarterskins
  • Like 1

My strategy with overseeding is to completely avoid courses for their first 2 out of overseed by playing courses on the schedule that are late to start overseed. There are quite a few that don't start until mid-late October whereas the earliest have already started now. So I can play "normal" conditions now through late October, then when the last courses to start overseed close for it, I go back to the courses that overseeded first and now are at least 2-3 weeks out of it and start to loosen up on CPO restrictions or are walkable. Some of the lower end courses and munis will let carts drive in the rough instead of being restricted to the paths which helps move things along a bit.

I find playing a course that is fresh out of overseed with 18 holes of CPO restrictions to be a completely intolerable way to play golf and I refuse to do it. Whether you are walking or riding, unless you have the first tee time it's a slow round.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

Dobson Ranch today, hadnt played it in a year or so. Course is in great shape, greens rolling great, just showing signs of heavy play. Music from the range is annoying as hell, but theyve done some cool stuff with the place. Really good shape though, tee to green.

Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set @ 19* evenflow 6.5

Srixon z765 4-PW C-Taper 130x

scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled 1i

Update on Eagle Mountain. It was painted dirt and completely dead in May. I though that was a long uphill battle to get it back and wouldn't happen until next year at best. Well my buddy told me it was back since he lived by it and I played there yesterday. He was right it is green and lush and in great shape. There is rough on the sides of the fairway so it is like a USO lite setup now. Ball does not bounce to the center of the fairway like it normally does.