2021 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

I guess it's people like me that are to blame. 

Hit balls at Sunland Village this afternoon, but annoyingly they were off mats. Dad said they are usually off grass, so not sure what the deal was. 

Playing Viewpoint executive tomorrow afternoon as a warm up round. 

Booked Longbow for Wednesday at 1pm. Looks like you can safely play until 5:15, so am hopeful to finish. 

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

Lol @ Viewpoint, that sign is on a mobile backing on the green. 

Overseed on the tees and fairways came in nicely. Greens are a bit patchy, but are decently fast. 

Course is a little rough around the edges, but otherwise a good place to knock the rust off and there is plenty of that. 

Still can't hit out of dormant Bermuda to save my life. 

PXL_20211127_183210830.jpg

• Haha 2

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Played Greyhawk Raptor yesterday - conditions were pristine but paid and arm and a leg to play it ($320) - CPO but finished in around 3-3.5hrs.  Greens were lightning fast but pure.  Forgot how difiicult that course is.

TPC Champions this morning.  I thought it was a great deal for out of town/rack rate ($170) considering the time of year - conditions (excellent) and pace of play (3.5hrs).   Granstands are going up across the street.

Papago yesterday. Greens are in great condition, best I’ve seen them in a couple years. Rest of the course was in good shape. Only complaint was no divot mix. Ended up in a couple of divots yesterday, would be nice to be able to fill divots. 

Tee’d off around 945 on a Sunday and finished in exactly 4 hours. 

• Like 1

Slim pickings on courses lately that aren't an arm and a leg so I took up my buddies offer to play Coyote Lakes. Pleasantly surprised. By far the best condition I've ever seen it and the overseed came in great. Greens were a bit slow but sped up as the weather heated up. Bunkers are still trash though. Tee boxes look like they should be due for a relevel here soon. Got around in under 4 hours which is a blessing this time of year for that course. 

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

Wigwam Gold this morning. First time playing post overseed. All around it’s in excellent shape. One of the best overseed’s I’ve seen recently. The rough is, super thick, fun to play real overseed rough for a change. Greens are rolling true and at a good speed, not too fast and not too slow. Teed off at 830, finished in 3:45 and that was taking our time. Didn’t see a group in front or behind us. The course is going to be in perfect shape for the Patriot All American coming up next month. With the rewards program, $61 it’s easily one of the better values right now. 

Aguila today. The course is amazing from tee to green. A little bit of mud on the ball in the fairway, but it’s firming up nicely. Wasn’t in the sand at all, the old man was and only 1 out of the seven he was in was hardpan. They looked to be nicer than I remembered. Greens were excellent, very smooth and decently fast. I thought they were a bit slow early on the front 9 but could have been water/wet. The seemed to pickup a foot or so of speed after it started to get warm out. 

Pace was pretty good. Teed off at 10:08 and finished at 2:15. 

None of the comments above were influenced by the fact I shot 35 on the back. 😉

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Booked Mountain Brook for Friday for $70. 

This is perfect golf weather right now. Wish I was staying longer. 

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Longbow is excellent. Overseed is as good as I can remember. Very lush rough and tight fast fairways. No mud to be seen on any tee balls and lots of roll out. It appears they have recently redone the bunkers as there is tons of sand in them and I was in more than my fair share. Fried eggs left and right.   #4 can kiss my backside. 

Greens were smooth, they said they were stimping at 9 on the sign at the bag drop. Not sure they were quite that fast, but were mowed pretty tight and was though to make a ball mark. 

Mountainbrook on Friday and that’s probably it for this trip. 

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Just got back from a Thanksgiving trip to Phoenix.

Thanksgiving, played Southern Dunes. Really good fairways and greens. Overseeded rough was deep and thin, and balls disappeared in it. Small, tricky greens.

Bonus was a pumpkin pie for every golfer.

Friday, played We Ko Pa Saguaro. This was another level. Lightning fast, perfect greens to go with perfect fairways. Played with 3 other singles, and we all wished our greens at home were this good.

Rough was dormant, so basically no rough. Course was very fair, with quite a bit of room off the tee. Exceptional practice area and service. What I'd expect for $200.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Played Mountain Brook today. 

Was in decent shape except the bunkers which are in a sorry state of disrepair. 

I don't think I've played a more boring and uninspired layout in my life. The course is 18 holes of absolute nothing. Nice short game practice area though. 

Would have rather played Las Sendas. 

Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

On 11/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, tw422 said:

TPC Champions this morning.  I thought it was a great deal for out of town/rack rate ($170) considering the time of year - conditions (excellent) and pace of play (3.5hrs).   Granstands are going up across the street.

Trying to get some local info on the TPC courses and see if both are still and will be CPO?  Found this earlier post but he didn’t say if it is cpo or not. Will be there and playing 10th of December and was thinking of canceling and going to play both courses at Troon instead. But haven’t played either TPC courses yet, and have played Troon before.  I see that Troon will not have CPO.

9 minutes ago, bankkur74 said:

Trying to get some local info on the TPC courses and see if both are still and will be CPO?  Found this earlier post but he didn’t say if it is cpo or not. Will be there and playing 10th of December and was thinking of canceling and going to play both courses at Troon instead. But haven’t played either TPC courses yet, and have played Troon before.  I see that Troon will not have CPO.

I haven't been there since July, but I highly doubt TPC Champions would still be 100% CPO in December. That would be two months after reopening from overseed . That being said, they often have one or two holes that are CPO off and on throughout the year, in addition to the par 3's which are always CPO. Often #1, the left half of the split fairway on #5, and #14 for whatever reason. TPC Stadium finished overseed 3 weeks later than Champions, and they are more "protective" of that course leading up to the WM Tournament, so you might want to call and verify on that one.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bankkur74 said:

TPC Champ's was not CPO when I played last week (11/27).  Two holes (IIRC) were CPO but the rest of the course was open.  IMO, TPC Stadium is over rated but worth playing if you have not played it before.   Champions course is a better value.

For anyone interested, Bellair, the par 58 course near 43rd Ave and Bell Road, reopened a few days ago under new ownership. It had been closed for over a year, but the grass is green again. I am going to try to give it shot over the next week or two and will post my thoughts on it. I've driven by it for years but never played it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

For anyone interested, Bellair, the par 58 course near 43rd Ave and Bell Road, reopened a few days ago under new ownership. It had been closed for over a year, but the grass is green again. I am going to try to give it shot over the next week or two and will post my thoughts on it. I've driven by it for years but never played it.

Bellair holds a special place in my heart. Learned to golf there and the now gone Glen Lakes. Spent the majority of our summers as kids on those courses. The initial golfnow reviews show it's in great shape and they now have a nice range with TopTracer Technology. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76
  • Like 1

Papago today, just like last week it's in good shape. Greens were stupid fast, much faster than last week, fun day on the greens for sure. Tee'd off around 830, got around in exactly 4 hours and that included waiting on a foursome in front of us on at least half the holes. 

If it wasn't for the city card I would never play there. The rate for standard play today was $140, bananas.... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anybody have any suggestions courses in the Sun City area?  My parents are coming into town and are staying up that way (I live in S Scottsdale and have never played up that way).  They are your typical senior golfers and play on a small town 9-holer back home so they aren’t picky (they enjoy playing Continental for reference).  

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, jatrain said:

Anybody have any suggestions courses in the Sun City area?  My parents are coming into town and are staying up that way (I live in S Scottsdale and have never played up that way).  They are your typical senior golfers and play on a small town 9-holer back home so they aren’t picky (they enjoy playing Continental for reference).  

Thanks!

Are they trying to keep to a certain price range? Do they want to walk or ride? Are they just looking for basic value golf on the easier side? I ask because otherwise someone is probably going to recommend something like Verrado or Sterling Grove which, while they are quality courses, are probably not what your parents are looking for.

Edited by Bonneville85308

5 hours ago, jatrain said:

Thanks!

Riverview, Willowcreek or Sun City Country Club would fit the bill in Sun City. No frills straight forward golf that is on the affordable side around $30-50 depending on time. For a little higher quality look to the Sun City West Courses, better quality golf and conditions but a tad bit more expensive, $71. There are 4 regulation and 3 executive courses in SCW. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Riverview, Willowcreek or Sun City Country Club would fit the bill in Sun City. No frills straight forward golf that is on the affordable side around $30-50 depending on time. For a little higher quality look to the Sun City West Courses, better quality golf and conditions but a tad bit more expensive, $71. There are 4 regulation and 3 executive courses in SCW. 

This is perfect, they’re looking more budget friendly. 

15 hours ago, tcbringhurst said:

Wigwam Gold today. Great conditions and priced right at $84. Greens were medium speed and receptive to iron shots. Fairways were soft (I teed off at 12:15 for reference) and didn’t roll out much. 

POP as a single and playing through about 4 groups was 3 hours. 

Are you an Arizona resident?? If so sign up for their Loyalty Program. I think the loyalty rate right now $57 for weekdays. Plus you earn rewards (free rounds, range days, shop merchandise, foot golf) as you go. 

2 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Are you an Arizona resident?? If so sign up for their Loyalty Program. I think the loyalty rate right now $57 for weekdays. Plus you earn rewards (free rounds, range days, shop merchandise, foot golf) as you go. 

I’m here as a student and maintain my home state residency for scholarship reasons. Otherwise I would’ve been getting rewards. 

• Like 1

Eagle Mtn - best way I can explain the course is like a brusied and scarred piece of fruit.  It's just not in good shape with lots of deas spots, even holes in the fariways.  The greens are just a mess with scars, thin grass and pretty slow.

Really disappointing - probably staying away for a long while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sub150 said:

Anyone played Cave Creek since overseed?

... 2nd hand info but I played Aguila yesterday with a guy that said the speed of Aguila was really throwing him off after playing several rounds at Cave Creek where the greens were very slow. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x