2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

1 minute ago, Joelness said:

Am I the only person that doesn't like GVR or CG very much? GVR is a ~$50 round on it's good days. Riverdale is a 15 min drive up 470 and I can play it on weekend mornings for <$50 for wayyyyy better greens.

I think you guys just need to get out of the city already. Golf is still cheap around here!

I do love CG, and it helps that it's only 15 minutes from my house.  Their pricing, especially for CGA members, isn't bad and it's a very walkable course, which I really enjoy.  

I do love Riverdale even though it's a little bit of a hike for me.  My favorite to play is probably Murphy Creek and the price is right there as well.  

Nice job in the four ball!

21 minutes ago, thaar said:

Nice work! Good to see you back around here!

Edit - I see Bryan Rusin won with his buddy. He used to be a member at GVR and part of men's club. He's a solid golfer. I remember watching him get a hole in one and really not have a care in the world. Granted, it was on the par 3 course, but still was a ~125yd shot. One would think he would have a bit more excitement lol.

He did play with ex-mini tour pro Chris Thayer which doesn't hurt.

3 hours ago, Joelness said:

Am I the only person that doesn't like GVR or CG very much? GVR is a ~$50 round on it's good days. Riverdale is a 15 min drive up 470 and I can play it on weekend mornings for <$50 for wayyyyy better greens.

I think you guys just need to get out of the city already. Golf is still cheap around here!

Dunes is probably my favorite in the area.  Only 15 mins up E470 for me.    Some good ones up north too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Here's a pic of my babies 😁 I just spent a few weeks restoring and refinishing them.  Replaced a few shafts, new grips, new whipping (that's the yellow thread), and restored all the heads.  Fun project but man did it take a lot of time! 

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

I have huge respect for a Hickory shaft player.  I have never tried that.  I am a lightweight because I would put the clubs in the following picture in play anytime!  Not Hickories.  😄

Persimmon collection 20210424.jpg

• Like 4

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

I have huge respect for a Hickory shaft player.  I have never tried that.  I am a lightweight because I would put the clubs in the following picture in play anytime!  Not Hickories.  😄

Persimmon collection 20210424.jpg

Holy cow!  Are those all yours?  Those things are gorgeous!  I hope you do play those, I bet they would be a ton of fun to play.  

Plus you should totally give hickories a try.  I ain't that good...if I can play them, anyone can play them.  

3 minutes ago, CDM said:

You sneak a putter in there 😏

That is a Cleveland Classic Designed by copper putter.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

16 hours ago, Joelness said:

I absolutely agree. A lot of Denver and Aurora Municipal courses aren't worth the value (in my opinion): Kennedy, Saddle Rock, Meadow Hills, and Wellshire all cost more than Riverdale Dunes. And they're harder to get a tee time for! Living in Parker I'm usually trading tee time cost with gas cost since getting north of Denver takes about an hour from Parker. While it's too far away for serious consideration I'm already day dreaming of moving north for the next house since there is so much good/affordable golf north of the 470 loop.   

• Like 1

Meh. South side's still the best side. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

47 minutes ago, ALi3 said:

I absolutely agree. A lot of Denver and Aurora Municipal courses aren't worth the value (in my opinion): Kennedy, Saddle Rock, Meadow Hills, and Wellshire all cost more than Riverdale Dunes. And they're harder to get a tee time for! Living in Parker I'm usually trading tee time cost with gas cost since getting north of Denver takes about an hour from Parker. While it's too far away for serious consideration I'm already day dreaming of moving north for the next house since there is so much good/affordable golf north of the 470 loop.   

I agree with you except Meadow Hills. I think Meadow Hills is a fantastic value. It's a good layout, challenging with tree lined fairways (which most courses out here don't have) and small greens, and their greens are almost always in immaculate shape. It's also a super easy course to walk yet you only pay $40 or so, and if you have an aurora card with bonus money, it breaks down to less than that.

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

24 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Werd...I just don't know how to do do the gang sign for south side yet 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

30 minutes ago, thaar said:

I agree with you except Meadow Hills. I think Meadow Hills is a fantastic value. It's a good layout, challenging with tree lined fairways (which most courses out here don't have) and small greens, and their greens are almost always in immaculate shape. It's also a super easy course to walk yet you only pay $40 or so, and if you have an aurora card with bonus money, it breaks down to less than that.

I concur with this. All of those trees makes me almost have a brain aneurism standing on the tee box. @thaar, we plan to try to take our beer league over there once or twice this summer.

I pretty much only play Wellshire in golf league now (butwe're doing City Park this year), and I still love the layout and walkability. I don't love the 6-hour rounds. I also absolutely hate losing balls between in the roughs between the fairways--which I seem to do 2-3 times per round.

As I said last year, I also have a new-found appreciation for Kennedy. The Babe 9, while being possibly the most WYSIWYG layout in the world, is actually a beast from the tips--and even more when the wind is blowing from the west.

tl;dr - only play them during the week.

Edited by pseudoswede

2 hours ago, thaar said:

Meadow Hills is solid. I played it for the first time last year and really dug it.

3 hours ago, ALi3 said:

I heard Saddle Rock mentioned earlier and I might just hate that golf course more than any other I've ever played. The north side is absolutely the best for value and it's not close.

2 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

I hope everyone has that attitude. Keep the traffic and expensive golf on your side.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I heard Saddle Rock mentioned earlier and I might just hate that golf course more than any other I've ever played. The north side is absolutely the best for value and it's not close.

I hope everyone has that attitude. Keep the traffic and expensive golf on your side.

Saddle Rock is an okay course. I'm just annoyed that it's basically impossible to walk.

Fact: traffic is much more horrible north of 6th Avenue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thaar said:

It's a good layout, challenging with tree lined fairways (which most courses out here don't have) and small greens, and their greens are almost always in immaculate shape.

100% agree with this.

11 hours ago, thaar said:

It's also a super easy course to walk yet you only pay $40

The problem is it's now pushing $50 to walk. $47 for Meadow Hills vs. $49 for Riverdale Dunes. I know which one I'm taking every time. 

11 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

All of those trees makes me almost have a brain aneurism standing on the tee box.

Ditto. I was surprised at how punishing this course is for a younger beginner. It's the perfect course for a 70 year old man that can poke it straight and let every shot chase up to the green. You start going offline in the air and you're going to have a nightmare of a round. I've shot an 81 there that felt too easy and I've shot 95 that felt like a battle. 

I will say that I do need to give Aurora courses a little more slack, I'm usually surprised how well the greens are maintained during prime season. Even at Aurora Hills. Murphy Hills is a great course. It just puts a bad taste in my mouth with what Saddle Rock charges and the few times I've been there the conditions weren't good.  

One of those mornings where you're reminded how much mental part of the game can mess with your score. 

I bundled up and teed off at sunrise this morning at City Park. Somewhere between walking off the first tee and finding my ball, my phone fell out of my pocket. Not wanting to hold up the tee sheet for the day, I decided to keep playing and cross my fingers a good samaritan would find it and turn it in. 

Went on to shoot 46 on the front with 3 3-putts (gross) and let the pro shop + starter know I was looking for a phone when I made the turn.

I'm right of the green on 13 when the ranger comes rolling up with my phone. Grateful it was back in my bag, I knocked my chip close and sunk a putt, then proceeded to go +2 for the last 5 holes. Go figure. 

• Like 2

Titleist 910D2 - 9.5* driver
Titleist 909 F3 - 3 wood (Adam Scott threw it out and now it's in my bag)
Titleist 910H - 21* hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 14's - 4-W
Vokey SM6 - 52* | 56* | 60* wedges
Ping Anser "Karsten Co" putter

My kid starts JV track today (pole vaulting). With meets on Thursday afternoons, that means golfing on Thursday nights is on hold until maybe end of July. 😞

My wife and I are tentatively playing on Saturday (weather forecast is so iffy); and FRGC at Indian Peaks on Sunday will be wet n' wild (not in a good way).

I walked CommonGround on Wednesday morning.  It was so perfect.  I love that course, and I can't imagine how anyone doesn't like it!  I kid I kid, I know everyone will have their likes and dislikes, but for me it's just a perfect place to play.  I love how walkable it is, the lack of houses on the course, the views, the layout, all of it.  The course is also in such good shape.  

I also played GVR today.  It is also in really good shape and was playing really nice.  Agree that it's not worth the $85 or whatever I paid with the player's discount, and I hate the direction the course is going as @Gmcourtney laid out.  It's just a shame because I do think it's a fantastic track to play and it's usually in fantastic shape.  Oh well.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stoneydukes said:

#humblebragdisclaimer

Played Indian Peaks yesterday. Got off first at 6:36. Course is playing really great with all the moisture we've had. Personal best 73 with 3 birdies and 4 bogeys. Previous round was a brutal 88 at Ute Creek where nothing was working. Couldn't get off the tee and couldn't make a putt. Yesterday, everything was clicking. First round with ZX7 irons that I'd never hit, even at the range. 9FIR and 14 GIR.

Golf is so strange and great. Hope you all go low out there this weekend.

Love my ZX7's.... !!!!  What shaft did you go with?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, birdiemachine said:

Played in men’s club event today at CGGC. Finished triple bogey, bogey to finish 4 shots off leader in a not so good player flight. Yuck. 

I feel your pain.  I started really well... +2 through 7, which is playing well for me.   I went full stupid for about 45 minutes on holes 8-11.  7 on 8, 8 on 9, 8 on 11...  left ball in bunker twice on 8 and 9, and water on 11.   Then ended up playing alright 12 on...

@ALi3 and I were paired together today at Indian Peaks for FRGC. The course is in fantastic shape. The weather held up surprisingly well today--granted, it was still cold and windy, but the sun was out most of the time, which made things a bit better, and the rain stayed away. However, by the back 9, it really felt like we were always walking into the wind no matter what direction, and it drained the energy out of me.

The third guy in our group has probably the smoothest putting stroke I've ever seen. I wish i had anything remotely close to that, especially since I yipped an 18-inch, dead straight birdie putt.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

@ALi3 and I were paired together today at Indian Peaks for FRGC. The course is in fantastic shape. The weather held up surprisingly well today--granted, it was still cold and windy, but the sun was out most of the time, which made things a bit better, and the rain stayed away. However, by the back 9, it really felt like we were always walking into the wind no matter what direction, and it drained the energy out of me.

The third guy in our group has probably the smoothest putting stroke I've ever seen. I wish i had anything remotely close to that, especially since I yipped an 18-inch, dead straight birdie putt.

Had a lot of fun playing and the course was absolutely pure. Learned the hard way that my game is not anywhere close to what I thought it would be after grinding at a range the past few weeks. Still had to put the driver away and some really weak/errant long irons. If I had to guess, my tee game was the most glaring weakness yesterday? @pseudoswede, I'd love to hear your thoughts while I'm still trying to improve. Definitely doesn't help when I struggled to get 200y consistently off the tees.   

What I took away from your missed putt is that you still put yourself in a position to execute the second time on 17. Your accuracy from 120y and in is inspiring to someone like me who's still hoping to just keep it on the green from there.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ALi3 said:

If I had to guess, my tee game was the most glaring weakness yesterday?

Yes, I would agree. Your errant tee shots were probably the most devastating to your game, as you were often in the deep rough, which sometimes caused to you hit shots where your ball ended up in an even worse spot.

If you might remember from last year, I got into a mid-season funk of literally shanking my drives off the tee. For me, it was clubbing down to ridiculous clubs (literally like a 7-iron) and moving up tees to gain back the confidence that I could actually hit a ball 170+ yards into the fairway. Then I slowly worked my way back up the bag to eventually being able to be somewhat comfortable with my driver or 3-iron.

What I took away from your missed putt is that you still put yourself in a position to execute the second time on 17. Your accuracy from 120y and in is inspiring to someone like me who's still hoping to just keep it on the green from there.    

I appreciate the compliment. If there was something that I had spent a ton of time practicing a few years ago, it was dialing in all of my wedges. Now if I could actually make putts longer than 6 inches, I might actually be more competitive!

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 2