• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I went out and played Broadlands yesterday afternoon, and this happened.    

Greetings fellas!   Just gonna drop these here...       Happy new year!

Did my Wisconsin hickory golf trip/tournament this past weekend and just got back last night.  Some thoughts in case anyone is interested or thinking of doing a trip out there.  Bottom line...DO.  IT.

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Weather forecast for Sunday turned from nice to crappy. FRGC event at Raccoon Creek.

At least golfing with my parents on Saturday should be pleasant.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 2

Live in Colorado? Visit ColoradoWRX!

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

On 5/9/2021 at 10:20 AM, CDM said:

Pecking around last night found a 2 some at Riverdale Dunes next Saturday (15th) at 7:37.  If anyone is interested in playing let me know.  

Still have an opening for Saturday at Dunes if anyone is interested.   Granted rain in the forecast but looks like afternoon?  So should be done playing before it hits...... I think.

Driver: Titleist TS3 - Tensi AV Blue 65x

3 Wood:  Titleist TS3 - Fuji Atmos Red 70x

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI2 - HZDRUS Smoke RDX 80s

Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 - HZDRUS Smoke RDX 90s

Irons:  Srixon ZX7 5-PW  - Modus 3 105 S (HS+1)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter: Scotty Special Select Newport

I got out last Saturday at Fox Hollow and played 13-14 holes hurricane-force winds 🤣. I felt like most of our shots were either into the wind or crosswind too which made things even more challenging. When the wind was coming from the side, my ball didn't really move, which was really surprising and took some adjustments, not to mention trust when it's that windy. Apparently, the AVX is quite a good wind ball. It was also pretty wild to see putts move so much due to the wind.

I threw up a 41/41 so I was super pleased given the conditions. My buddy and I played with a couple of really cool guys that were down to party, which certainly helped. It's playing roulette to see who you get paired with sometimes lol.

I continue to get more consistent with my wedge distances...at least in practice lol. I'm pretty confident to hit my carry yardages with partial wedges from 55, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90 and 95yds. The feeling of proper swing length with my wedges is getting better and better with each session, so maybe I can have pseudoswedes short game eventually! Hopefully, it starts to pay off on the course lol.

I also have finally figured out my attack angle with my driver. I've always had a negative angle of attack, which creates too much spin and robs me of distance and can introduce more sidespin. It was actually a really minor adjustment of keeping my hands slightly back. It almost looks like the face of the club is facing left of my target line...maybe it is. I think before, my hand position introduced some shaft lean even though it felt fairly neutral. I don't hit up a ton on the ball like some, but I'm in the positive range now which is getting my spin numbers to a more optimal level. I'm also finally hitting the low 160's in ball speed consistently. I really wanted to get close to 170 this year, but that clearly isn't going to happen 🤣

• Like 2

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
Edel E-1

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good short game instructor or clinic, preferably in the south? I really would love to get better around the greens and pitching from <60yds. Adding putting to that probably wouldn't hurt. I know Jerry Walters is a great putting instructor, but haven't heard anything aside from that. 

Edel E-1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, thaar said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good short game instructor or clinic, preferably in the south? I really would love to get better around the greens and pitching from <60yds. Adding putting to that probably wouldn't hurt. I know Jerry Walters is a great putting instructor, but haven't heard anything aside from that. 

I know some who have went to Jerry for both putting and short game and said he is great.

I know they list him as a short game expert on the website.

Edited by CDM
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thaar said:

Take my advice for what it's worth...

For 60yds and in, pick one lofted club you're comfortable with and muscle-memory the hell out of it. I chose my LW. For pretty much every round number distance (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60yds), I know exactly how far back I need to bring back my club in order to get the distance I need; the downswing and follow-through also need to be a consistent path and speed. For tighter lies, it's also super important to practice hitting the ball crisp. Do it on the fringe, on the fairway, in the first cut, in the rough, and in the deep rough.

When I was playing my best (15-20 years ago), I could take my lob wedge and get virtually up-and-down consistently from anywhere within 40 yards of the pin. And that was because I practiced the hell out of all sorts of LW distances and lies.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Thanks 1

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

20 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Take my advice for what it's worth...

For 60yds and in, pick one lofted club you're comfortable with and muscle-memory the hell out of it. I chose my LW. For pretty much every round number distance (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60yds), I know exactly how far back I need to bring back my club in order to get the distance I need; the downswing and follow-through also need to be a consistent path and speed. For tighter lies, it's also super important to practice hitting the ball crisp. Do it on the fringe, on the fairway, in the first cut, in the rough, and in the deep rough.

When I was playing my best (15-20 years ago), I could take my lob wedge and get virtually up-and-down consistently from anywhere within 40 yards of the pin. And that was because I practiced the hell out of all sorts of LW distances and lies.

I have to second this strategy for "feely" wedge shots. They are 100% feel oriented (I think of clock-face swing length as well. ex my 45yd carry shot is 3 o-clock) and the only way to be good, and stay good, at them is to practice them. If you regularly get a lot of them then it's worth hitting at least 10 for every range bucket you buy.

As far as overall short game goes I have recommendations up north, but none down south. Tbh it's like every other lesson to me: the instructor will point you in the right direction but 95% of the skills are developed through many long hours of practice. Short game practice is my favorite as it's so creative once you start altering things for trajectory like ball position, shaft and body lean, wrist release, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Dancin said:

CGA member play day for Fort Collins CC Monday 7/12 signup opened. I'm at 2:55 off tee 1 if anyone wants to join me.

https://coloradogolfassociation.regfox.com/2021-member-play-day-fort-collins-cc

Speaking of: I get reciprocal rates there that are even cheaper than this for my guests. All you need to do is hit me up and find a time to get out!

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

After shooting 4 consecutive rounds in the 70s, and averaging 78.3 across my 10 rounds played in 2021...I entered my first tournament last Saturday.

Shot 89. Worst round in probably 3+ years. And the thing is...I hit 10/13 fairways and 10/18 greens. I had FOURTY ONE (41, yes) putts. I had a 4 putt from 3 feet. I uhh...my mental game was simply not there. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Just to tack on...

What do I do when I shoot a good round? I enjoy a beer or two in the clubhouse afterwards, shoot the breeze with the other players, brag about it on WRX, then forget about it.

What do I do when I shoot a bad round? I enjoy a beer or two in the clubhouse afterwards, shoot the breeze with the other players, lament about it on WRX, then forget about it.

Jacob, everyone on here knows you're a hella good player.

That’s awesome! 

16 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Just to tack on...

What do I do when I shoot a good round? I enjoy a beer or two in the clubhouse afterwards, shoot the breeze with the other players, brag about it on WRX, then forget about it.

What do I do when I shoot a bad round? I enjoy a beer or two in the clubhouse afterwards, shoot the breeze with the other players, lament about it on WRX, then forget about it.

Jacob, everyone on here knows you're a hella good player.

I'm seeing a theme in my game too...and it also involves beer 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Edel E-1

Posted (edited)

Hope everyone got out before the rain today and had a good time. Played the Dunes this morning.   

Course Conditions: Excellent like always. A spot or two in the fairways but excellent and greens are running so smooth. Greens might be the best I have seen them.   

I will note this rain has made the Dunes a jungle...!!! Even the starter noted "keep it straight or it will be a long day" and it was for the two I played with.  One of them joked he hates rating a course by how many balls he looses but he called the Dunes an 8-10 ball course today.  🤣

The rough, not the hay, is sooooo thick, not super tall but THICK.  Out of the rough it is hard to get on the back of the ball.   1 Dbl was from the rough and the other two from the hay. Oddly I did not loose a ball in it but it was an exercise in will.  Just 90 degrees back into the fairway was the option (IF you got it back to the fairway...sadly...) 

The bad, I am seeing a big "weakness" in my game.  Had 3 birds / 2 Bogeys / 3 Dbls  / 10 pars.  That is 3 rounds in a row with 2 or more Dbls.  If my putter goes cold I am dead.  Need to minimize Dbl's to bogeys...!

If I don't I will end up a 24.3 HDCP  😊  <---for @pseudoswede

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/15/2021 at 3:00 PM, CDM said:

Need to minimize Dbl's to bogeys...!

I think this is the Achilles heel for everyone in the 7-12 cap range: minimizing/eliminating the big numbers. I had a double and a sweet quad* (and two bogeys) on the front nine to derail any chances of a decent round; that said, I actually did shoot even for most of back nine (one birdie, one bogey, then five straight pars) before finishing with two disappointing bogeys.

The theme for yesterday at Raccoon Creek was mediocrity. Save for the quad, I didn't play horribly, but I didn't play great either. My ball striking was extremely inconsistent. My saving grace was usually making up for a miss with a decent to excellent recovery. I also missed a lot of makeable putts that I simply pushed/pulled. I just wasn't comfortable over the ball anywhere on the course. The weather was also dreary (on/off drizzle the whole round) and just cold/wet enough to make your wear layers all day. I've become such a fair-weather golfer than anything more than shorts and a polo will make me feel out of my element. haha

It has been probably 15 years since I last played Raccoon Creek. They've done a ton of improvements on the ground, and the course was in pretty good shape. I also didn't realize that 9 holes on a weekday is only $25. I may have to swing over there more often.

* - as I'm typing this up this morning, and related to my post a few days ago, I actually had to think long and hard about how I made that quad because I literally couldn't remember

• Like 2

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

I know some on here are in the Common Ground Men's Club so have a question.

Is the men's club really that overloaded with players?  Did the actually allow so many players to join that decent number of members can not even get into events this year?  

Asking as I keep hearing people complain about it and this weekend I was asked to play in the CG member/guest this year abd two things surprised me.

First I heard they are not letting new members sign up for the event? The link provided does list "....only Members of the 2020 Men’s Club are eligible to participate..."

Second its $300 to enter and then $96.00 at check in for the two rounds? Pretty high for a public course MG event. Two years ago the Cherry Creek M/G was only $500 to enter, but is a private club so a lot is covered.  The Calcutta and side bets...total different story. 

Anyway I guess I have to go with my legit Hdcp at 85% rating.

• Like 1

Great points.   

The more I thought about the last few rounds yesterday while watching the pro's hit it in the tree's, wet rough, etc and still make par was only making it worse. (of course a lot more skill helps lol)

I am pretty sure my thought process is the issue. I have been striking it solid, rolling the ball really well on the greens. Which is frustrating as if I was hitting it like crap I could relate it to that.  I just compound every bad shot.... over and over..

I was thinking about the CC round more so yesterday then RD as the rough as RD is a big factor though I did make stupid mistakes out that rough too.

The CC round I can recall standing on the tee at 16 thinking:    "Okay you just made par on the 480 yard par 4 which you normally bogey, so lets par or birdie this hole because on 17 you make par 50% of the time and on 18 you birdie it 50% of the time" 

Step up and hit a perfect drive down the slope on 16 and F'd it up in the left green side bunker and tried to hit "THE" shot to save par and walk out with dbl....worse part  17 and 18 played out as I thought. 

Can't fix that on the range...!  The next few rounds will try and change my thought process to focus on what is in front of me not 10 shots down the course.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDM said:

I know some on here are in the Common Ground Men's Club so have a question.

Is the men's club really that overloaded with players?  Did the actually allow so many players to join that decent number of members can not even get into events this year?  

Asking as I keep hearing people complain about it and this weekend I was asked to play in the CG member/guest this year abd two things surprised me.

First I heard they are not letting new members sign up for the event? The link provided does list "....only Members of the 2020 Men’s Club are eligible to participate..."

Second its $300 to enter and then $96.00 at check in for the two rounds? Pretty high for a public course MG event. Two years ago the Cherry Creek M/G was only $500 to enter, but is a private club so a lot is covered.  The Calcutta and side bets...total different story. 

Anyway I guess I have to go with my legit Hdcp at 85% rating.

From what I understand they let in about 90-100 new members this year.  The initial tournaments filled up very fast (like in a few hours of opening for the first few I think) but the more recent events seem to be easier to get into and there were openings for a while after the initial sign up started.  

That is true for both the member-guest and the club championship.  They were very clear and upfront about it, telling new members that was the compromise they reached for expanding the number of members.  They did so before anyone signed up for the club, so everyone who signed up knew that was the deal and could decide to still join or not.  I think it was a fair compromise and I liked how open they were in communicating that and letting people decide.  

I can't speak to the cost and value as I haven't played in the member guest there and don't think I'll be playing this year either so maybe someone else who has played in the past will have some insight.  

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

From what I understand they let in about 90-100 new members this year.  The initial tournaments filled up very fast (like in a few hours of opening for the first few I think) but the more recent events seem to be easier to get into and there were openings for a while after the initial sign up started.  

How many members do they have now? Being able to field 192 players (!!!) in some tournaments means that probably have close to... 300? 350?

That is over 7 hours of tee times every Saturday. Yikes.

• Like 1

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pseudoswede said:

How many members do they have now? Being able to field 192 players (!!!) in some tournaments means that probably have close to... 300? 350?

That is over 7 hours of tee times every Saturday. Yikes.

Not sure of total, but 281 have played at least once. Also, 2 tournaments a month, not every weekend. 

Edited by birdiemachine
  • Like 3
58 minutes ago, birdiemachine said:

Not sure of total, but 281 have played at least once. Also, 2 tournaments a month, not every weekend. 

Yeah and the individual match play, which I am signed up for, has 252 players and 16 brackets!  It's kinda crazy but awesome.  

1 hour ago, ASak10 said:

Did my Wisconsin hickory golf trip/tournament this past weekend and just got back last night.  Some thoughts in case anyone is interested or thinking of doing a trip out there.  Bottom line...DO.  IT.  Worth every penny.  

Thursday we played 36 holes - 18 at Blackwolf Run River course in the morning and the Meadows course in the afternoon.  Walked both rounds and didn't have a caddy for either round. 

The River course is truly amazing.  I see how and why it's rated in the Top 100 courses.  The greens were smooth as glass and very fast.  The course has an amazing layout and is just beautiful, with lots of water along the course.  The setting is incredible with lots of dogleg holes and elevation changes that make for some fun tee shots and decisions with where to hit shots. https://breakingeighty.com/blackwolf-run-river-course  (BTW I don't know who this breaking 80 guy is, but I like his write ups and pictures.  Just found these randomly while searching for info about the courses before my trip.)

The Meadow Valley course was also very nice.  Not as spectacular as the River course but pretty amazing in its own right.  Lots of valleys to navigate and some huge bunkers to try to avoid.  There were ravines to carry which made for some intimidating shots.  Greens were also as pristine as on the River course.  Another write up with some pictures if you are interested:  https://breakingeighty.com/blackwolf-run-meadow-valleys

Friday was first round of the tournament.  I had played the Irish Course at Whistling once before last summer and loved it then.  Loved it even more this time.  The course is right next to the Straits course and more inland, although a few of the holes have views of the lake and of the Straits course.  You really do feel like you are playing a links course in the middle of Ireland.  The mounds and the bunkers...oh my.  I think only one hole out of 18 doesn't have  a bunker.  It's really a treat to play and if you're ever out there but can't get on the Straits, or can't stomach the green fee, the Irish is well worth playing for about half the price.

1955491345_IrishCourse.jpg.76b074e8cdaa1b33fa24c7383f2d21ba.jpg

That's me on the Irish (don't mind the outfit, we all wore period outfits for the tourney, it was fun).  You can see how the bunkers are as well as the giant mounds all around. 

891059000_Irishpar3.jpg.fa20a372e23a4fc3f5d5aca709a890be.jpg

This was my favorite hole on the Irish course, number 11, a par 3 with bunkers in front and all around.  If you got into one of the pot bunkers left of the green....good luck!  

Friday night, because of the hickory group tournament, we were invited to preview a new course called the Baths over at the Blackwolf Run facility.  It's a par 3 course with 10 holes as well as a really fun/huge putting green with a putting course on it.  It's not open yet as they are still building some of the holes, but 6 of the 10 holes were completed and they let us play those.  They also let us play on the putting course.  It's going to be a really fun addition to the courses there.  First picture is the putting green (they have stands at every "tee box" to put your drink on and putt) and the second is looking at some of the par 3 holes.

Baths.jpg.da4c4ca319e32fb04266503c4fdbe312.jpg1650954569_Baths(2).jpg.0907b1fc6b4a9a412177515dbfea57bb.jpg

Saturday was finally the time to playing Whistling Straits.  I wish words or pictures could do this place justice but they can't.  Easily the best course I have ever played and worth every single penny they charge.  My caddie was amazing and so fun, he was perfect.  I know you all have seen it on TV, or maybe been lucky enough to have played it, and it really is just the perfect golf course.  Here's some pictures.  The first shot is of 18 down in the valley.  It essentially splits the fairway.  The other two are of some dramatic par threes that are right next to the lake.  

497953960_18Straits.jpg.47f02d6fe4f2b483a233dafdca01fb76.jpg

21112991_Anotherpar3straits.jpg.88d4fe438cbc4ca52b69a6b2e56430a1.jpg

2064339246_Par3Straits.jpg.bc2efa7b8059aa5c01bc9b24cc368159.jpg

Sunday we made our way over to play Erin Hills for the last round of the trip.  After the Straits I think I'd say that Erin Hills was my second favorite course that we played.  The facilities are amazing.  The pro shop and locker rooms were absolutely top notch, as were the range and warm up facility.  We just took a fore caddy for the group and he was great, I'm glad we got one because some of the lines you take off the tee are not what you would expect.  I loved the layout of the course and how the holes were set up.  It's just a really nice, fun course to play that's challenging enough but not crazy like the Straits.  We also had a picture perfect sunny day without much wind so it probably played much easier than it could. 

Erin Hills also built a similar putting green to the Baths in 2019, called the Drumlin putting course, with a 12 hole putting course and drink stands where you tee off from for each putt.  We played a couple loops after our round before having to head to the airport and it was so much fun.  I love that courses are building these now.  I will most definitely be going back to play Erin Hills, at least when I can get on.  The tee times fill up early and people book it pretty far out, so plan early and plan ahead, but go.  They also have homes on the property you can stay at that looked awesome and they are right there, next to the pro shop and restaurants and course.  It would be a fun place to stay.  This picture is overlooking the buildings on the grounds, I think we were on the 10th tee box here.

285232291_ErinHills.jpg.381886141803c0da5ab922c2116f7df8.jpg

Here's the Drumlin course with my buddy putting, the green things to the left are big lights so you can play it when it gets dark.  It would be super fun to play at night I imagine.  

1481807459_ErinHillsputting.jpg.0b5cd6d492b9ef18759a778f36e26fff.jpg

That's it.  Sorry for the long post and pictures but figured maybe some of you might enjoy seeing it.  

Awesome !!!  Looks like an amazing event and dig the outfits!  

Within the US that is probably the last bucket list I have..... right now that is.   Kohler/Erin Hills/Lawsonia Links trip.   Many outside the US but those will have to wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ASak10 said:

Yeah and the individual match play, which I am signed up for, has 252 players and 16 brackets!  It's kinda crazy but awesome.  

Holy carp. 16 brackets....? What is the range on those brackets, cant be much. 

As to joining I guess the fact they let everyone know up front before joining is a good thing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, CDM said:

Holy carp. 16 brackets....? What is the range on those brackets, cant be much. 

As to joining I guess the fact they let everyone know up front before joining is a good thing.

My bracket is 10.9 to 12. Top bracket is +3.6 to 0.2.  We play this gross so nice to have tight range. 

Edited by birdiemachine
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, CDM said:

Awesome !!!  Looks like an amazing event and dig the outfits!  

Within the US that is probably the last bucket list I have..... right now that is.   Kohler/Erin Hills/Lawsonia Links trip.   Many outside the US but those will have to wait.

You have to make it happen.  I've played Lawsonia a few times as well.  It's really a wonderful course.  Don't forget Sand Valley and Sentry World all in WI as well.  It's really crazy how much good golf Wisconsin has.