There's a CGA play day at Hiwan in August for $125 including lunch and you can play your own ball. It amazes me that enough companies are kicking in money for their employees to fill these charity scrambles every year considering there is one or more just about every week. I just don't get it spending that kind of money for a scramble. At least the Pinery one you might get some up close time with a Rockies player, but still crazy.

• Like 2
  • Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I went out and played Broadlands yesterday afternoon, and this happened.    

Haven't posted much here in a while, so thought I'd just say that for those of us who play golf in the Denver area, we truly are blessed with some fantastic courses with great variety.   Goi

Did my Wisconsin hickory golf trip/tournament this past weekend and just got back last night.  Some thoughts in case anyone is interested or thinking of doing a trip out there.  Bottom line...DO.  IT.

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Usually it's the "big wigs" or sales guys of the company who then get to write it off as a business expense.

My company sponsored a charity golf scramble at Inverness for a few years. I had to pay the $150 entry fee, but I didn't have to take PTO, and I was able to write-off a portion of the entry fee as a charitable donation. I always got assigned with the customers/vendors who provided my company the least amount of business. haha

Edited by pseudoswede

Live in Colorado? Visit ColoradoWRX!

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

48 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Found three tournaments...

Hiwan Golf Club (August 23) - https://birdease.com/PartnerColoradoFoundation - $650/foursome (I think my buddy does this tournament every year; almost positive it's a scramble)

Colorado Golf Club (June 21) - https://birdease.com/CLCgolf2021 - $2000/foursome

Pinery Golf Club (July 19) - https://birdease.com/2021ColoradoRockiesCharityGolfClassic - $5000/foursome (yikes!)

Good finds

Hiwan has some of the hardest greens I have played on. Pinehurst No.2 is still winning that.  

CGC for what you get it appears is "not bad priced".   I see it notes Caddies are included, but also carts. I assume they meant fore caddies.  I was lucky and played the course about 3 years ago.  Great course and love CC designs but that one did not make it on my personal list.

Pinery.....not sure what to say on that price.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Usually it's the "big wigs" or sales guys of the company who then get to write it off as a business expense.

My company sponsored a charity golf scramble at Inverness for a few years. I had to pay the $150 entry fee, but I didn't have to take PTO, and I was able to write-off a portion of the entry fee as a charitable donation. I always got assigned with the customers/vendors who provided my company the least amount of business. haha

HAHAHA I could take "offense" to that but your 100% correct on how it typically goes........sadly.  

I worked at firms just as you note and man is use to p*ss me off.  The owners got the all perks, taking buddies, swag, etc 

I take out staff to all the events and we pay for it. (We rotate staff too so all get a chance).

I note to them the donation our firm makes to the organization is from their effort too.  They get the day off (yes paid) and they see how it helps. 

Main one's we do are for abused children which all proceeds go to them which is great.   We do a Putt Putt event (super fun) for suicide prevention. One of clients actually does a drive for baby diapers and we buy a pallet, which who knew how expensive that can be LOL.   

Now as to the tax write off its really not that much if you actually follow the "rules" but still worth it to help out if you can. 

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to get an invite to play Ballyneal yesterday. My level of excitement would be comparable to arriving at a theme park as a child and having your parents tell you they also rented the whole place out. With as much as I had built it up after knowing I'd be playing since April, it still exceeded all of my expectations. Our host wanted us to get a full day to experience everything so we played 18, did the Mulligan course, and played 18 on the practice green. I also made sure we got some milkshakes and they were as good as I was told. I wanted to stay until the sun went down, but had to concede to leave early enough so the whole drive back wasn't in the dark. 

Beyond everything that's great about the opportunity to play private golf, Ballyneal was exceptional for making enjoyable and interesting golf the #1 priority. I think because of the location and reputation it lends itself to being the perfect place for people who really, I mean really, love golf to go. Hands down the best day of golf in my life so far. 

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, jacobEDGE said:

Speaking of workplace sponsored golf events, I just got word yesterday that I’m being thrown into the group for an event at the Sanctuary on August 2nd.  No mention of I’ll have to pay my portion or take the day off (it’s a Monday), but I’m completely thrilled either way. 

The burning question is whether you'll be bringing tigers to carry your clubs. 😁

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

43 minutes ago, ALi3 said:

I was lucky enough to get an invite to play Ballyneal yesterday. My level of excitement would be comparable to arriving at a theme park as a child and having your parents tell you they also rented the whole place out. With as much as I had built it up after knowing I'd be playing since April, it still exceeded all of my expectations. Our host wanted us to get a full day to experience everything so we played 18, did the Mulligan course, and played 18 on the practice green. I also made sure we got some milkshakes and they were as good as I was told. I wanted to stay until the sun went down, but had to concede to leave early enough so the whole drive back wasn't in the dark. 

Beyond everything that's great about the opportunity to play private golf, Ballyneal was exceptional for making enjoyable and interesting golf the #1 priority. I think because of the location and reputation it lends itself to being the perfect place for people who really, I mean really, love golf to go. Hands down the best day of golf in my life so far. 

That sounds amazing.  One day hopefully I'll have a chance to play out there.  

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ALi3 said:

Honestly not sure what all the hype is about..... I mean sure it's has excellent routing, great greens, dunes galore, awesome pace of play and all about GOLF.... seems a bit overrated.  🤣

Edited by CDM
  • Haha 3
Posted (edited)

Supposed to play golf with my parents on Sunday. The weather forecast went from pleasant to okay to wtf. May have to cancel. 😞

Edited by pseudoswede

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

Anyone ever play either of the courses at The Broadmoor?  I know the East course is the championship course.  The West is the other course.  I also know these are compilation courses designed, for the most part, by Robert Trent Jones, Jr. and Donald Ross.  I am playing one of the courses next Saturday (gimpy ankle and all).  Not sure which one.  Either way I am looking forward to it.

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 9.0°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW:  Ben Hogan 1999 Apex blade E (PW) bent to 50°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW & LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 56° (bent to 54°) / 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

Anyone ever play either of the courses at The Broadmoor?  I know the East course is the championship course.  The West is the other course.  I also know these are compilation courses designed, for the most part, by Robert Trent Jones, Jr. and Donald Ross.  I am playing one of the courses next Saturday (gimpy ankle and all).  Not sure which one.  Either way I am looking forward to it.

I've played the Broadmoor courses several times, East, West and the Mountain (before it slid off the side of the mountain).  Just FYI, The East is the Championship course, but when the LPGA and Champions Tour played their US Open's there, it's actually a hybrid of the East and West course.

The greens are fast and very tricky - best piece of advice I can tell you is that everything breaks away from the mountains, regardless of what you see.  The course is built along Cheyenne Mountain, so there are optical illusions that make you think you see a break one way, when in fact, it's 90% of the time away from the mountain.  You'll hear the chimes from the Will Rogers monument - if you can locate that statue, know the breaks on the green typically flow off that line.

They keep that course in amazing shape, so I'm sure you'll have a wonderful round.  Great opportunity to see deer, turkey and even bears.  For lunch or after the round, stop by "The Golden Bee".  It's an actual English pub that was disassembled and reassembled on the Broadmoor property.  They've added on, but the core structure remains.  Enjoy your round - looking forward to hearing how you liked it and how you played!

-- P.J.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, golf4pj said:

I've played the Broadmoor courses several times, East, West and the Mountain (before it slid off the side of the mountain).  Just FYI, The East is the Championship course, but when the LPGA and Champions Tour played their US Open's there, it's actually a hybrid of the East and West course.

The greens are fast and very tricky - best piece of advice I can tell you is that everything breaks away from the mountains, regardless of what you see.  The course is built along Cheyenne Mountain, so there are optical illusions that make you think you see a break one way, when in fact, it's 90% of the time away from the mountain.  You'll hear the chimes from the Will Rogers monument - if you can locate that statue, know the breaks on the green typically flow off that line.

They keep that course in amazing shape, so I'm sure you'll have a wonderful round.  Great opportunity to see deer, turkey and even bears.  For lunch or after the round, stop by "The Golden Bee".  It's an actual English pub that was disassembled and reassembled on the Broadmoor property.  They've added on, but the core structure remains.  Enjoy your round - looking forward to hearing how you liked it and how you played!

-- P.J.

I'm from Colorado Springs and know about The Broadmoor and the golf courses based on what I've read.  I was also at the 2018 US Senior Open one of the tournament days and saw the hybrid championship course.  That said reading about and attending a tournament round doesn't make me that knowledgeable about the courses.  I started playing golf in the mid 80s in Colorado Springs and played most of my golf at Patty Jewett.  I've just never had an opportunity to play The Broadmoor.  I've also played a few RTJ courses during my golfing days and really like his style of design.  I've not played a Donald Ross course but have read quite a bit about them.  Great tip of putts breaking off the Will Rogers Shrine. I do know what the WRS looks like and where it is on Cheyenne Mountain.  

I'm nursing a mild sprain of my left ankle so I won't be 100%.  I will wear a compression brace and hope it stabilizes the ankle well enough.  I'll post after the round.  Thanks for the tips. 

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

SW & LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 56° (bent to 54°) / 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

The Ross holes are better than the RTJ ones, but they're split about evenly between the two courses. If you're not playing on a package the west course is a little cheaper and both are much cheaper if you play the 3+pm twilight deal. Both are kept in great condition. When I stay there and play I get on whichever one gets me off earliest for twilight. Neither is worth the $230/290 regular rate.

On 5/28/2021 at 9:36 AM, pseudoswede said:

Supposed to play golf with my parents on Sunday. The weather forecast went from pleasant to okay to wtf. May have to cancel. 😞

We probably could've finished 9 holes at The Links with our 9am tee time, but I think it was for the best that we cancelled. What a crappy way to finish a long weekend. I'm off to Chicago on Tuesday morning for a work trip.

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

We probably could've finished 9 holes at The Links with our 9am tee time, but I think it was for the best that we cancelled. What a crappy way to finish a long weekend. I'm off to Chicago on Tuesday morning for a work trip.

Bummer about the weather yesterday.  While it is great to get a nice steady rain (not so sure about the burned out areas in the mountains), it makes for outdoor activities like golf a bust.  One thing for certain is that more sunny days are ahead and we benefit with some great weather during late Spring through mid Fall. 

At least you can build up frequent flyer points, although ORD isn't a huge accumulation.

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

At least you can build up frequent flyer points, although ORD isn't a huge accumulation.

Sadly, it's WN (an airline I rarely fly) to MDW (an airport I think I've been through once in my life). UA was literally twice as expensive, so Concur said no. I also learned that MDW has Clear kiosks, so at least I'll get my money's worth out of that this trip (as well as this summer).

Regardless, I love Chicago. My company's office is in the West Loop, which has a ton of awesome restaurants.

Edited by pseudoswede

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

1 hour ago, pseudoswede said:

Sadly, it's WN (an airline I rarely fly) to MDW (an airport I think I've been through once in my life). UA was literally twice as expensive, so Concur said no. I also learned that MDW has Clear kiosks, so at least I'll get my money's worth out of that this trip (as well as this summer).

Regardless, I love Chicago. My company's office is in the West Loop, which has a ton of awesome restaurants.

WN to MDW, at least it’s Chicago.  West Loop is terrific!  Pizzeria Uno or Due?  😁

Posted (edited)

Last minute Saturday sneak out before weather hit. Hunted forever it seemed and I was able to only find a single at RD Knolls real early which helped with family plans.  Man tee times might he harder now then before LOL 

The rough is about 2" or so tall but you cant get on back of the ball cleanly.  It is so thick, when I would put the club head down behind the ball the grass would cover the ball up. 

The Dunes though looks so sweet right now but scary if not driving it well and I was not on it with the tee ball this weekend so knolls ended up a good choice. I think I had 8-9 bogeys out of the rough and they felt earned.   One thing about the place they keep both courses in such excellent shape, the greens on the knolls right now are as good as dunes.

Edit: Been a long time since I played the knolls.  I forgot how F'n stupid the 13th par 5 is.  Lists near 570 on the card and the ditch(s) cross it twice. It is an interesting hole to say the least.....  

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

Sneaking out to Walnut Creek this afternoon, first round I've played there - anyone head over there recently and have a report to share or some advice? 

Edited by ontheroad292

Titleist 910D2 - 9.5* driver
Titleist 909 F3 - 3 wood (Adam Scott threw it out and now it's in my bag)
Titleist 910H - 21* hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 14's - 4-W
Vokey SM6 - 52* | 56* | 60* wedges
Ping Anser "Karsten Co" putter

53 minutes ago, Dancin said:

I was there two weeks ago. They've been keeping the fairways longer there so far this year but otherwise it's fine. i.e. probably not a good time to play the tips.

Ha. Duly noted. They're calling for storms around the time we tee off anyways, so we'll spare ourselves the agony of the tips if we're going to have rain along for the ride. 

Titleist 910D2 - 9.5* driver
Titleist 909 F3 - 3 wood (Adam Scott threw it out and now it's in my bag)
Titleist 910H - 21* hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 14's - 4-W
Vokey SM6 - 52* | 56* | 60* wedges
Ping Anser "Karsten Co" putter

On 5/28/2021 at 9:36 AM, pseudoswede said:

I had my match play scheduled Sunday at noon. It was miserable. We only lasted 5 holes before them blowing the horn. I took a cart and I was still soaked with the wind. Since we don't play in rain often here, I forgot to consider which shoes to wear - I was soaked down to my socks. While I'm happy it was called, I was up 2 after 5 holes lol.

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
Edel E-1

On 5/31/2021 at 1:31 PM, RobotDoctor said:

WN to MDW, at least it’s Chicago.  West Loop is terrific!  Pizzeria Uno or Due?  😁

I'm very much in the Lou Malnati's camp.

Sadly, only 33 hours in Chicago, so my co-workers and I weren't able to do a lot. Lunch at Cruz Blanca (pretty good even if Rick Bayless is no longer attached to it), team dinner at Soju BBQ (highly recommended), and after-dinner drinks at Bar Siena (really good Old Fashioned).

But when my company's office has a rooftop deck like this, you better believe I'll be asking to visit more often!

image.png.350200153d2aad3ef377bc515de55f69.png

• Like 4

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X

Hi guys hope all is well in here and everyone is getting their rounds in. I had the chance to play Colorado Golf Club yesterday. It was perfect weather, great company, played good, and had an all around wonderful time. It remains in my top slot favorite to play!

• Like 4

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5