Posted (edited)

My wife and I had to cancel Saturday's golf with my parents due to issues with appliance installation (and subsequent handyman visits). Instead, I found a last-minute 6:30pm 9-hole round at Lone Tree on Friday night. The course is in phenomenal shape.

FRGC event at Red Hawk Ridge today. I think I missed five putts inside 2 feet today and chunked two lob wedges (one into a creek). My tee shots were hot and cold. Still somehow hacked an 81 from the tips. As luck would have it, the winds shifted directly into my face on 15 (playing 501 yards today), so that was fun. I put my drive 140 yards from the pin on 18, which I then proceeded to pull my wedge into the bunker. Argh. Huge congrats to @ALi3 for capturing B-flight low net.

I'm definitely having trouble finding the center of the clubface. Unfortunately, today was probably my last swings until I play in Sweden later this month.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 3

Live in Colorado? Visit ColoradoWRX!

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I went out and played Broadlands yesterday afternoon, and this happened.    

Haven't posted much here in a while, so thought I'd just say that for those of us who play golf in the Denver area, we truly are blessed with some fantastic courses with great variety.   Goi

Did my Wisconsin hickory golf trip/tournament this past weekend and just got back last night.  Some thoughts in case anyone is interested or thinking of doing a trip out there.  Bottom line...DO.  IT.

Posted Images

@RobotDoctor... great pics... sounds like an awesome time.  One of these day's I'll pony up the $$$ to go down and stay and play there.

I had a really strange round this weekend at the CG men's club event on Saturday.  Normally, I'm a good driver of the ball (short but normally straight and in the fairway), but I'm a horrible putter.    Saturday, I struggled with driver (I topped 3, yes that's three, tee shots).  However I putted fantastic.   Sunk a 12 footer on 2 for birdie, 25 footer on 6 for birdie.  Made 3 or 4 different 6-10 footers to save par, and quite a few easy tap in two putts.   It's actually kind of a fun game when you're putting well... maybe I should practice... lol.    

I only had 1 numbskull blowup hole.  Met up with el hosel on my approach shot on 13, which shook me.  Then i put the next one in the front bunker, 2 shots out, and 3 putts for a glorious 8.    I missed cashing in my flight by one shot.  Take out the topped tee balls, and I could've been in the hunt for 1st or 2nd. 

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

Also... I couldn't sleep Friday night, and was up at midnight... managed to snag foursomes, without really having a group arranged.   My wife's out of town next weekend, so I wanted to make sure I had rounds lined up for myself.

So, if anyone's looking for plans for next weekend, I've got the following groups booked:

- 7:30am on Saturday at CommonGround (3 spots open)

- 7:45am on Sunday at Riverdale Dunes (full group for now...)

I've got feelers out to a couple folks to see if they can join.  But if someone wants in, let me know. 

**Edit... filled up Sunday at Riverdale.  

Edited by Gmcourtney
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, Gmcourtney said:

@RobotDoctor... great pics... sounds like an awesome time.  One of these day's I'll pony up the $$$ to go down and stay and play there.

If you can arrange a round as a guest of a member the cost is a lot less than as a resort guest.  First, no need to stay at the resort.  The price of the green fees are less than half as a resort guest.  My round was as a guest of a member courtesy of my cousin.  I’m hoping to play a round next month when my cousin returns and with the same member.  He was a riot and a really nice person.  Ironically I bought my first car (1986 Ford Mustang GT hatchback) from a dealership in Colorado Springs he owned.  We both got a laugh with that one.  Small world.  

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S (non-Velocore)

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW:  Ben Hogan 1999 Apex blade E (PW) bent to 50°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW & LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 56° (bent to 54°) / 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

If you can arrange a round as a guest of a member the cost is a lot less than as a resort guest.  First, no need to stay at the resort.  The price of the green fees are less than half as a resort guest.  My round was as a guest of a member courtesy of my cousin.  I’m hoping to play a round next month when my cousin returns and with the same member.  He was a riot and a really nice person.  Ironically I bought my first car (1986 Ford Mustang GT hatchback) from a dealership in Colorado Springs he owned.  We both got a laugh with that one.  Small world.  

Foot feeling better Robot?  Haven’t texted since I haven’t played in almost three weeks. 

55 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Foot feeling better Robot?  Haven’t texted since I haven’t played in almost three weeks. 

Foot is better.  I'm off it for a few days but will practice end of week and play Sunday.  We'll play soon!!! 👍🏼

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

SW & LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 56° (bent to 54°) / 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

On 6/3/2021 at 3:49 PM, pseudoswede said:

I'm very much in the Lou Malnati's camp.

Sadly, only 33 hours in Chicago, so my co-workers and I weren't able to do a lot. Lunch at Cruz Blanca (pretty good even if Rick Bayless is no longer attached to it), team dinner at Soju BBQ (highly recommended), and after-dinner drinks at Bar Siena (really good Old Fashioned).

But when my company's office has a rooftop deck like this, you better believe I'll be asking to visit more often!

image.png.350200153d2aad3ef377bc515de55f69.png

Very nice!  I was in Chicago all last week.  I'm in the Pequods or bust camp for deep dish 🙂 It's my favorite by far.  

I ended up having my match play event moved from last Monday (Memorial Day) due to the weather forecast.  Buddy and I went out and played at CG anyway and I was so happy we did.  We had a perfect day, course was pretty dead, and weather ended up being beautiful.  Wish I would have kept the match play but....oh well, forecast was not good when we cancelled.  

Out here in Chicago I played Harborside (Port) course while out here, was a challenging and fun track.  Links style with some interesting holes and it was in terrific shape.  

Then drove up to Wisconsin to play at the Club at Lac la Belle.  The course was built in 1896, then had a huge ($5 million or so) renovation in 2018.  It was a really cool track, great facilities and pub, large putting green with holes to play....if you're randomly in the area ever, it's worth checking out.  I was very impressed.  

Looks like Colorado has some amazing weather, hope you all are taking advantage and getting out there!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I’m off all week. Was getting ready to head out Sunday to play when I got a call informing me I had tested positive. Now I’m spending my week off cooped up in the house 

Ugh!   Sorry about that.  At least you have natural antibodies now!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

The bad part is I feel totally fine. Virtually zero symptoms. 

Yeah, that for sure.  You going to get tested again in case of a false positive?

16 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Yeah, that for sure.  You going to get tested again in case of a false positive?

At this point probably not. Last time it took almost two full days to get the results back. If it took that long again I’d almost be through my time by the time the results came back. I think I’m good to go by the weekend anyway, so I’ll just finish my time. 

Feel badly though, wife is positive as well. But she’s actually feeling sick. But since she works from home she’s still putting in her time. 
Son and daughter-in-law in Highlands Ranch have it as well. My daughter is making herself awfully scarce lately!

11 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

At this point probably not. Last time it took almost two full days to get the results back. If it took that long again I’d almost be through my time by the time the results came back. I think I’m good to go by the weekend anyway, so I’ll just finish my time. 

Feel badly though, wife is positive as well. But she’s actually feeling sick. But since she works from home she’s still putting in her time. 
Son and daughter-in-law in Highlands Ranch have it as well. My daughter is making herself awfully scarce lately!

Ugh. I hope everyone recovers quickly.  We'll definitely meet up and play a round soon!

Playing at Pradera on Saturday for the first time as a guest of a friend. Any input on what to, and not to, do while playing there? I'm pretty excited after looking at pics of the course. Also signed up for the TPC member guest with this same friend in September and a couple low rounds have my HC the lowest it's ever been... typical "careful what you ask for" scenario

hope everyone goes low this weekend. cheers

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, stoneydukes said:

Playing at Pradera on Saturday for the first time as a guest of a friend. Any input on what to, and not to, do while playing there? I'm pretty excited after looking at pics of the course. Also signed up for the TPC member guest with this same friend in September and a couple low rounds have my HC the lowest it's ever been... typical "careful what you ask for" scenario

hope everyone goes low this weekend. cheers

It's a nice course, there's a fair amount of elevation change that you have to account for.  To me it's a typical Engh course - pretty scenery, a couple gimmicky holes that I don't particularly like (7 is a weird hole unless you can go to the right fairway but I've never thought it's worth the risk...maybe I'm playing it too conservatively).  Overall though it's a fun track, I think you'll enjoy it.   

• Like 1
4 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Played Highland Meadows yesterday. Still one of my favorite courses. But $79 is reaching the point where I won’t go back nearly as often. 

Sounds like a change of home course to Collindale is in need!  👍  🙂

• Like 2

I played Bear Creek for the first time Sunday. Very interesting course and vibe. Some holes kind of quirky, tons of 220-260 tee shots, great views, good conditioning. Definitely would play again but I'm having a hard time determining if I like it or don't.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Hey all-

Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone have recommendations for instructors in the Denver area? Willing to drive 30ish minutes and hoping to keep costs per lesson under $130

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, just don't have a lot of golf contacts here and I don't know where to turn for some word of mouth reviews.

Thanks (and disregard if inappropriate post)

5 hours ago, TurnDog69 said:

Hey all-

Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone have recommendations for instructors in the Denver area? Willing to drive 30ish minutes and hoping to keep costs per lesson under $130

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, just don't have a lot of golf contacts here and I don't know where to turn for some word of mouth reviews.

Thanks (and disregard if inappropriate post)

Two people continually get mentioned as good instructors in the Denver area. I have no experience with either but know people who said they helped them. They're a little more than $130 though. If you like one of them they have package deals that can get it cheaper.
Ed Oldham http://edoldhamgolf.com/

Dan Sniffin https://dansniffingolf.com/