Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

15 hours ago, ALi3 said:

To stir some more s***.

I heard from a member that because the CGA is essentially failing to make money with CommonGround (which a surprise to me based on how much play that course gets), they are looking to expand operations by either adding a venue site for weddings or building condos to the left of hole 9. He said that he felt Dave was really just in it for the golf and didn't want to ruin CommonGround and refused to go along with those plans. 

That would make a lot of sense. I don't understand how these golf courses aren't making money. What were these guys all doing before? The play is as high as it can possibly be. Charge more money. End of story.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

First - I have zero experience in golf course economics. But it does beg the question - why are they losing money if the tee sheet is, and essentially always has been, completely booked? And their green fees - at least for CGA and public players - are not particularly low for the area. They seem right down the middle of the road, from what I can tell.

There certainly must be financially viable courses out there that make ends meet on the golf fees alone, aren't there?

And is it the golf course that isn't making money, or is it the CGA? Or both? 

There's an assumption that that's an accurate statement, and I'm not sure it's completely accurate.  

Here's a link to the 2020 report from the CGA:

https://www.coloradogolf.org/wp-content/board/2020_Annual_Report_v2_Hr.pdf

Net revenue for last year was over $700,000.  For a 501(c)(3) non-profit, that seems pretty darn good.  That includes a $112,500 expense for the "CommonGround Program Initiative" but I haven't been able to find what that initiative is.  I also can't find a separate breakout for CommonGround's financials.  However, there were more than 48,000 rounds played last year compared to 34,000 in 2019.  Even if you estimate $50 per round (which it's likely way more considering cart rentals and people who aren't CGA members and pay full rate), that's $2,400,000 in revenue.  Now I don't see a line item for revenue from CG in the report, and I don't know where or how that's accounted for in the report.  I don't work in the financial world so maybe someone can make sense of how that would fit in but either way, there's no way it's not making money.  

Plus, as a non-profit, their goal shouldn't be making money.  Of course they can't lost money, but I'd say being over $700,000 in the positive is more than enough.  Their mission is to promote and serve the game of golf in Colorado.  It isn't to make money.  

For a comparison, in 2019 the CG Initiative was $225,000 and they still had positive net revenue of $422,000.  

I also compared them to the Carolina's Golf Association (just because it happened to pop up when I was searching for some information).  Carolina had $5.3m in revenue and also $5.3m in expenses (in other words, not making a profit).  They also have $5.5m in assets and $1.1m in liabilities.  

Compare that to Colorado Golf Association which had $4m revenue but only $3.3m in expenses.  CGA also has $5.5m in assets and only $363k in liabilities.  

So I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm calling shenanigans on it being related to money.  If it is related to money, then it means we have some greedy a-holes running the CGA and I'll stop being a member and participating in their events immediately.  

Edited by ASak10
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that information - pretty interesting stuff.

Wholly agree that if money is at the crux, then somebody needs to put up some proof. Like I said, I've got no financial expertise in the golf world, but if CommonGround doesn't have sufficient cash flow, that is highly suspicious as that course is always packed solid.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ASak10 said:

There's an assumption that that's an accurate statement, and I'm not sure it's completely accurate.  

Here's a link to the 2020 report from the CGA:

https://www.coloradogolf.org/wp-content/board/2020_Annual_Report_v2_Hr.pdf

Net revenue for last year was over $700,000.  For a 501(c)(3) non-profit, that seems pretty darn good.  That includes a $112,500 expense for the "CommonGround Program Initiative" but I haven't been able to find what that initiative is.  I also can't find a separate breakout for CommonGround's financials.  However, there were more than 48,000 rounds played last year compared to 34,000 in 2019.  Even if you estimate $50 per round (which it's likely way more considering cart rentals and people who aren't CGA members and pay full rate), that's $2,400,000 in revenue.  Now I don't see a line item for revenue from CG in the report, and I don't know where or how that's accounted for in the report.  I don't work in the financial world so maybe someone can make sense of how that would fit in but either way, there's no way it's not making money.  

Plus, as a non-profit, their goal shouldn't be making money.  Of course they can't lost money, but I'd say being over $700,000 in the positive is more than enough.  Their mission is to promote and serve the game of golf in Colorado.  It isn't to make money.  

For a comparison, in 2019 the CG Initiative was $225,000 and they still had positive net revenue of $422,000.  

I also compared them to the Carolina's Golf Association (just because it happened to pop up when I was searching for some information).  Carolina had $5.3m in revenue and also $5.3m in expenses (in other words, not making a profit).  They also have $5.5m in assets and $1.1m in liabilities.  

Compare that to Colorado Golf Association which had $4m revenue but only $3.3m in expenses.  CGA also has $5.5m in assets and only $363k in liabilities.  

So I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm calling shenanigans on it being related to money.  If it is related to money, then it means we have some greedy a-holes running the CGA and I'll stop being a member and participating in their events immediately.  

This makes a lot more sense. I knew someone smarter than I could get some more information on the situation!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

i played at CG this past sunday and got my first full 18 on a regulation course since early march. played from the combo gold/white tees (confidence building!). made 4 birdies and had 3 birdie lip-outs. almost made my first ever ace on #17 in front of about 10 people which was pretty cool: stuck a 190y 8-iron to 18" with a 2-club cross wind (slightly helping). rounded it all out with 28 putts total and 9 1-putts.

inconsistency off the tee destroyed my score though. i had some killer drives (e.g. a few paces short of the green on uphill #9 and a 350y bomb down the hill on #10) but i lost 4 balls. i played the par 5's at +4 (including a birdie on #3 and a lip-out for birdie on #18), which i'm not too thrilled about but hey, i'm rusty. 😅

also put up a very preventable triple on #5. flared a drive into the thick stuff on the right, found my ball, and like an idiot tried to hack it out of the 2' tall weeds. the ball was gone when i looked down but nobody even saw it get airborne. really stupid play on my part, should have taken an unplayable. also found out i'm very allergic to that grass so either no more shorts or no more hitting into the junk for me!! 😂

so i ended up carding an 82 for my first postable score of the year. a lot of woulda-coulda-shoulda on my mind, but all in all i'm just really happy to be back out there. gonna try to get in a few more rounds over the next week so i can get my official handicap and sign up for some men's club events. 

kinda goes without saying, but really hoping the transition to the post-dave-troyer era at CG is a smooth one 🤞

p.s. we went around the par three course a couple of times after we finished on the big course. some really weird distances but we had a lot of fun. would definitely recommend it as an alternative to practicing on the range or chipping/putting green. pretty good value for $10!

p.p.s. does anybody have recommendations for instructors/coaches? i really want to dial in my driver ASAP and also work with someone on prepping for tournament golf. here are some recommendations i've received so far (in no particular order):

chris schultz http://chrisschultzgolf.weebly.com/

trent wearner https://trentwearnergolf.com/

mike weingartner https://www.pga.com/coach/MikeW

peter norwood https://www.peternorwood.com/

Edited by hoselpalooza
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, TheKrushh said:

This makes a lot more sense. I knew someone smarter than I could get some more information on the situation!

Oh, most definitely not smarter haha.  Like I said that was all derived from like 5 minutes of some Google searches and looking at a couple reports.  I could very well be missing things, and probably am.  

On 6/29/2021 at 4:33 PM, ASak10 said:

I absolutely agree. 

On 6/29/2021 at 4:33 PM, ASak10 said:

Net revenue for last year was over $700,000.  For a 501(c)(3) non-profit, that seems pretty darn good.  That includes a $112,500 expense for the "CommonGround Program Initiative" but I haven't been able to find what that initiative is.  I also can't find a separate breakout for CommonGround's financials.

The crux here is that we can't see CommonGround's financials. You can't  extrapolate the financial performance of a business based on the financials of the person (or entity) running it. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 2:09 PM, hoselpalooza said:

i played at CG this past sunday and got my first full 18 on a regulation course since early march. played from the combo gold/white tees (confidence building!). made 4 birdies and had 3 birdie lip-outs. almost made my first ever ace on #17 in front of about 10 people which was pretty cool: stuck a 190y 8-iron to 18" with a 2-club cross wind (slightly helping). rounded it all out with 28 putts total and 9 1-putts.

inconsistency off the tee destroyed my score though. i had some killer drives (e.g. a few paces short of the green on uphill #9 and a 350y bomb down the hill on #10) but i lost 4 balls. i played the par 5's at +4 (including a birdie on #3 and a lip-out for birdie on #18), which i'm not too thrilled about but hey, i'm rusty. 😅

also put up a very preventable triple on #5. flared a drive into the thick stuff on the right, found my ball, and like an idiot tried to hack it out of the 2' tall weeds. the ball was gone when i looked down but nobody even saw it get airborne. really stupid play on my part, should have taken an unplayable. also found out i'm very allergic to that grass so either no more shorts or no more hitting into the junk for me!! 😂

so i ended up carding an 82 for my first postable score of the year. a lot of woulda-coulda-shoulda on my mind, but all in all i'm just really happy to be back out there. gonna try to get in a few more rounds over the next week so i can get my official handicap and sign up for some men's club events. 

kinda goes without saying, but really hoping the transition to the post-dave-troyer era at CG is a smooth one 🤞

p.s. we went around the par three course a couple of times after we finished on the big course. some really weird distances but we had a lot of fun. would definitely recommend it as an alternative to practicing on the range or chipping/putting green. pretty good value for $10!

p.p.s. does anybody have recommendations for instructors/coaches? i really want to dial in my driver ASAP and also work with someone on prepping for tournament golf. here are some recommendations i've received so far (in no particular order):

I'd reach out to Brad Skupaka. He's the Director of Teaching Quality at GolfTec, but more than likely takes lessons on the side. He's a long drive champion too.

• Thanks 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Hey everyone. I am looking for a 4th player for this weekend. It's just a fun round at Lone Tree Golf Club. Tee time is 1:05 pm Saturday the 3rd. Hit me up if you're interest. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5* GD AD-MT 7X
Titleist 917 F2 18* GD AD-TP 8X

3 Mizuno MP-20 hmb Rifle 6.5
4-6 Mizuno MP-64 Rifle 6.5
7-9 Mizuno MP-4 Rifle 6.5
47*, 52*, 56*, 61* Mizuno S18 Satin Rifle 6.5

On 6/30/2021 at 2:09 PM, hoselpalooza said:

I have worked with Trent with one if his staff (Ben) and I have seen Chris teach. Both great options. I would say try them out. Have a talk with them see which would be a best fit. Trent is still at meridian and they have an indoor area and their outdoor area. They also get you out on the course to see where you major deficiencies are. Chris is great and I see him doing a lot of work out of D'lance's studio. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5* GD AD-MT 7X
Titleist 917 F2 18* GD AD-TP 8X

3 Mizuno MP-20 hmb Rifle 6.5
4-6 Mizuno MP-64 Rifle 6.5
7-9 Mizuno MP-4 Rifle 6.5
47*, 52*, 56*, 61* Mizuno S18 Satin Rifle 6.5

On 7/1/2021 at 7:12 AM, ALi3 said:

I absolutely agree. 

The crux here is that we can't see CommonGround's financials. You can't  extrapolate the financial performance of a business based on the financials of the person (or entity) running it. 

Completely agree, but I guess even without at that information, my point is the CGA itself is running at a very large positive.  So even if CG is losing money, it's still serving the purpose of promoting golf and making it more accessible, and the CGA is clearly doing just fine based on their overall numbers, so why the push for even more profitability?  

Shot a 79 walking from the golds at CG in very tough/windy/rainy conditions with an atrocious 34 putts today. Chipping was 🔥 though which I’ll try to remember in lieu of the terrible putting. 😂

Only 1 birdie with a very disappointing lip-out for birdie on the par 5 18 after my drive left me with only 165y to a front pin. Drove it into the upslope, too. Easily longest drive of my life on a non-frozen fairway. Wind at my back but still uphill all the way. Wish I had GPS for bragging rights... 😂

Separately, went for my first ever fitting at D’Lance this morning. Really like those guys and am especially looking forward to new driver set-up. They had a great deal on a lifetime fitting and I would definitely recommend. 👍

Edited by hoselpalooza
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

Shot a 79 walking from the golds at CG in very tough/windy/rainy conditions with an atrocious 35 putts today. Chipping was 🔥 though which I’ll try to remember in lieu of the terrible putting. 😂

Only 1 birdie with a very disappointing lip-out for birdie on the par 5 18 after my drive left me with only 165y to a front pin. Drove it into the upslope, too. Easily longest drive of my life on a non-frozen fairway. Wind at my back but still uphill all the way. Wish I had GPS for bragging rights... 😂

Separately, went for my first ever fitting at D’Lance this morning. Really like those guys and am especially looking forward to new driver set-up. They had a great deal on a lifetime fitting and I would definitely recommend. 👍

That's a great round and having 165 left on 18 is no joke!  Well done. What did you end up getting for the driver/shaft?

1 hour ago, ASak10 said:

That's a great round and having 165 left on 18 is no joke!  Well done. What did you end up getting for the driver/shaft?

thank you!!

we're still working out the details. i kind of screwed up and didn't book enough time to go through the whole process. no idea what driver/shaft combo they'll recommend. they did say something about recommending a lighter but much stiffer shaft, which i thought was interesting. i'll update when we sort it out though 👍

Edited by hoselpalooza
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jacobEDGE said:

It's officially time I start going to the range before a round. Past 2 rounds I've played I start off not even remembering how to hold a club.

Plum Creek: +4 through the first 3 holes. +5 on holes 4-18, with 3 birdies. Shot an 81.
Walnut Creek: +6 through the first 5 holes. -1 on holes 6-18. Shot a 77.

Great finish at Walnut Creek. Keep up the momentum! 💪

So with the Korn Ferry event this weekend at TPC I was looking through the photos in the link below.    Noticed that almost all the players whore like a saddle golf shoe?  I think I saw one person wearing Nike.    Also Titleist must sponsor 65% of the Korn Ferry players...LOL

Is anyone going to the event?

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, CDM said:

So with the Korn Ferry event this weekend at TPC I was looking through the photos in the link below.    Noticed that almost all the players whore like a saddle golf shoe?  I think I saw one person wearing Nike.    Also Titleist must sponsor 65% of the Korn Ferry players...LOL

Is anyone going to the event?

had no idea this was happening, thanks for sharing! might bring my kid nephews on sunday if i can't find a place to play a round of golf. free tickets for under 18 yrs old is a nice perk.

edit: also worth mentioning -- i played some twilight golf at CG this evening and got eaten alive by the mosquitos. it was the worst near the creek between 11 and 12 but they were everywhere. if you plan to play CG in the evening, do yourself a favor and bring some pants, a long sleeve shirt, and plenty of insect repellant. in the meantime i'm going to take a bath in some calamine lotion 😂

Edited by hoselpalooza
skeeters warning
  • Haha 1

Rahm said the guy was shitfaced: “Let me put it this way: You could smell the reason why he did what he did,” said the World No. 1. “He was clearly not sober. I’m going to say it was vodka. I’m no expert, but he had a long night for sure. He probably thought it was a fun idea. And, to be fair, it was quite funny. At one point I thought he was going to Happy Gilmore the headcover. I don’t think it put Rory off. He hit maybe his best drive of the tournament off that tee. He started playing beautifully. If anything it put a smile on our faces. It’s a pretty good story to tell in the future.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Man, I got my āss absolutely handed to me on the front 9 at CG today. Shot an 82 with a 46 on the front. Coulda/woulda/shoulda been a great round. 

Made way over 100’ of putts (including a 60-footer and a couple of 20-footers), but they were basically all for par or bogey. 6-footer for birdie on 12 was nice though. 

Tee ball killed me today, and I played very conservative with mostly 2-hybrid. 

tomorrow I play the hyland hills gold course for the first time. Hope the putter stays hot and I get off the tee better!

play well, gents!

Edited by hoselpalooza
  • Like 2

played the hyland hills gold course today. really unremarkable round for me other than driving the par 5 15th in 2 from the tips with 2-hybrid // 4-iron and sinking the birdie putt. definitely one for the memory banks.

the people who work there were wonderful and i was grateful they were able to get me on as a single in the mid-afternoon, but the round took 5.5 hours. teed off a little after 3pm and couldn't see my ball on the last hole when we finished.

one guy in the group behind us mentioned this was the 2nd time he played there (first round was quick) but he wouldn't be coming back. i enjoyed the course but at 5.5 hours i have to agree with him. it was a very long day!

for those of you who've played there, do you think this is typical or atypical for a weekend afternoon round?

Edited by hoselpalooza
  • Like 2

I've played it twice, and I think both were around the 5-hour mark. I definitely understand the frustration of 5+ hour rounds; however, if I'm with good company and conversation (and if I have shade on a sunny day), I really don't mind.

• Like 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)