Colorado WRX 2021

Posted (edited)

Lesson learned from City Park: don't play the tips unless you are a near-0 capper. The par 3's are killer.

I shot a smooth 97 with 43 putts. I got off the tee mostly okay (except I did dump two balls into the muck on #13 off the tee with my 3-iron). My lob wedge, which is usually so trusty, probably cost me 10 shots (duffed a few chips, or I was so inaccurate with it that it lead to 3-putts). I'm still having issues with ball contact, but I don't have time to hit the range (or get lessons) anytime soon.

It was also so bleepin' hot when we teed off around 1pm. I went through both of my water bottles by the 7th hole, and I constantly refilled them. I think I'm still feeling the effects of heat exhaustion this morning.

This was my first time ever playing City Park, and I thought it was a fantastic course.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 4

Live in Colorado? Visit ColoradoWRX!

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

played in my first men's league event at CG this past weekend. came in with very low expectations because of little practice/play post-injury. good group of guys and weather was not too punishing. kept my ball in play the entire round (i.e. didn't lose a single one) but ball-striking was sus and i lipped out a least 6 putts from 8'+. ended up posting an 85.

i'm trying to stay positive. i know it's foolish to expect to pick up where i left off after basically 4 months of no playing and very limited practice, but i'd be lying if i didn't admit i was a least a little bummed.

my body is basically my limiting factor right now. i can only hit balls 1x-2x/wk and can only walk one day on the weekend. i'm evaluating personal trainers to help me get back into playing shape and would really appreciate recommendations if you guys have any. 

so far i've met with matt gilbert from elite speed at the steadman hawkins clinic in englewood, and will soon meet with chris piscopo who's located a bit closer to me downtown (recommended to me by a fellow WRX'er). both seem more than qualified but i think the more options, the better.

thanks!

p.s. playing overland with some buds for the first time this upcoming weekend. been looking forward to checking out this course since last winter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

played in my first men's league event at CG this past weekend. came in with very low expectations because of little practice/play post-injury. good group of guys and weather was not too punishing. kept my ball in play the entire round (i.e. didn't lose a single one) but ball-striking was sus and i lipped out a least 6 putts from 8'+. ended up posting an 85.

i'm trying to stay positive. i know it's foolish to expect to pick up where i left off after basically 4 months of no playing and very limited practice, but i'd be lying if i didn't admit i was a least a little bummed.

my body is basically my limiting factor right now. i can only hit balls 1x-2x/wk and can only walk one day on the weekend. i'm evaluating personal trainers to help me get back into playing shape and would really appreciate recommendations if you guys have any. 

so far i've met with matt gilbert from elite speed at the steadman hawkins clinic in englewood, and will soon meet with chris piscopo who's located a bit closer to me downtown (recommended to me by a fellow WRX'er). both seem more than qualified but i think the more options, the better.

thanks!

p.s. playing overland with some buds for the first time this upcoming weekend. been looking forward to checking out this course since last winter.

Glad your back.  I have been out technically for near a month but feeling 75-80% so going to go back at it, but a bit slower LOL.   

I know Steadman group is great. Don't know the name listed but they did my ACL replacement and rehab training. It was before they became part of UC Health. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CDM said:

Glad your back.  I have been out technically for near a month but feeling 75-80% so going to go back at it, but a bit slower LOL.   

I know Steadman group is great. Don't know the name listed but they did my ACL replacement and rehab training. It was before they became part of UC Health. 

slow and steady wins the race 🙂 

hope you get back to 100% ASAP, but fight the temptation to do too much too soon 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

thanks!

Jamie White at Denver Golf Performance https://www.denvergolfperformance.com/

• Thanks 1

I haven't been playing or practicing much lately and my game shows. Saturday, I shot a handicapped 86, which was probably closer to a 92 :classic_laugh:.

I feel lost swinging the club at times, and some shots come out that I haven't hit in years. I'm definitely in a mid-season slump and have been for about a month. Frustrating game lol. To add to it, I have some tendinitis creeping back in, which worries me a bit. It's fun getting old 😞

• Like 1

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
Edel E-1

7 hours ago, thaar said:

I haven't been playing or practicing much lately and my game shows. Saturday, I shot a handicapped 86, which was probably closer to a 92 :classic_laugh:.

I feel lost swinging the club at times, and some shots come out that I haven't hit in years. I'm definitely in a mid-season slump and have been for about a month. Frustrating game lol. To add to it, I have some tendinitis creeping back in, which worries me a bit. It's fun getting old 😞

Get your doctor to prescribe Meloxicam  😃   

I nearly dropped at Bandon as Dancin can attest. We both figured I pinched a nerve in my back. Turned out an under lying issue related to COVID I had in Feb....go FIG..!   Anyway I had never heard of it but damn it works like a 24 hour Aleve.  

• Thanks 1

I have to check in with my doc soon to get refills on Rx's so I'll bring that up as well. Appreciate the input!

On another note... Since my game is trash right now, the only solution popping in my head right now is to buy new clubs :classic_laugh:. I actually have been kind of planning to buy new clubs at the end of the season since I have the itch - it's definitely the longest I've gone without buying a new set of irons. That being said, has anyone been fit or heard any feedback from TrueSpec down at the Ridge? I'm curious if they use the standard range balls (which I can't remember if they're decent or not), or have a means to hit Pro V's/AVX's. 

I've been fit several times, all but one of them indoors, so I'm also wondering how much of a difference hitting outdoors makes since I can't really recall any difference. I know it's nice to be able to see ball flight and experience turf interaction, but is it that much better?

Edel E-1

Not sure it helps as I suck, but having done both, I would go outdoors all day long.

Not that the data numbers per se will be much different Ie: distance, spin, ball speed, etc   

What I found way different was the actual ball flight once on the range with the new clubs. The ball flight was either way high or way lower then what I expected to see.   I started to adjust my setup for what I wanted the ball to do and that made other aspects worse.

The last fitter (Phoenix area) said it is because most golfers know their standard ball flight (comfort window he called it) and we move the ball location to lower or raise flight as needed.  So if our "standard" flight changes from what we are used to it messes with our visual side and then frustration kicks in...which it did with me.     It must work as the driver I got is DEAD on right out of the box.

Edit: Downside is the balls. There are clubs that use titleist balls and I went to one of those place to get fitted. 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

Got my 300 Mini in last night. Hit a bucket of range balls then went to Hole 2 at Murphy to hit a bunch of drives to compare distances/accuracy. Red line is my TS3 gamer. Blue line is the 300 Mini with the shaft I got from TaylorMade. Green line is 300 Mini with a driver-length shaft in it. 

LINES.jpg.76b2719a91282f7d4a9995dddef88068.jpg

I love experimenting and tinkering with things.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Dancin said:

I had no idea Murphy was that empty on a weeknight that you could do something like that or were you letting people play through? Pretty tight dispersion on the taylormade shaft. That one looks like a keeper.

If you're teeing it up after 5:00-5:30pm there you're typically the last one out. At least by my experience the few times lately. The problem is that pace is usually slow. Jacob seemed to figure out a way to make the best of it! One of the few courses that has actually felt quiet for our group this year. Very peaceful in the evenings. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dancin said:

I had no idea Murphy was that empty on a weeknight that you could do something like that or were you letting people play through? Pretty tight dispersion on the taylormade shaft. That one looks like a keeper.

Went to the range at 6:45. Didn't head over to Hole 2 until 7:15pm. Nobody is going off that late. Just hit until it was too dark to see anything anymore. Got attacked by sprinklers on the walk back in. I didn't actually play any golf, just asked the pro shop if it was cool to go out and hit like 30 drives to compare. They were very chill about it.

Edited by jacobEDGE
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, jacobEDGE said:

Got my 300 Mini in last night. Hit a bucket of range balls then went to Hole 2 at Murphy to hit a bunch of drives to compare distances/accuracy. Red line is my TS3 gamer. Blue line is the 300 Mini with the shaft I got from TaylorMade. Green line is 300 Mini with a driver-length shaft in it. 

Mini with the Taylor Made shaft looks mega consistent. What were the distance differences like?

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

20 hours ago, jacobEDGE said:

That stock one from TM with the blue line is money!

Edel E-1

3 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

Mini with the Taylor Made shaft looks mega consistent. What were the distance differences like?

Granted, these were very minimal amounts of swings, but:

TS3: 282.63 yards with 3/8 fairways
TM shaft: 295.38 yards with 5/8 fairways
Pink Driver shaft: 285.88 yards with 4/8 fairways

Although, I wasn't getting those results on my 3 swings at Meadow Hills last night. But that's because I swear that course exists in a sea-level vacuum. Every time I've ever played there, I'm 10-20 yards short on every club in my bag. It doesn't make sense.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, hoselpalooza said:

firstly, you’re hilarious— I’m dying right now 😂

yeah, spin was high ‘cause it wasn’t tipped. The goal is 2,300-2,500. We used only tp5x. 

I suggested tipping my current shaft without adding length back and the club fitter strongly suggested staying at 46.5. Speed is a huge advantage for me and staying at 46.5” should put me well into the 120’s mph ball speed when my body gets better.

Current dispersion isn’t terrible and stiffer shaft should tighten it up even more. so should taking some lessons to help get ball striking back, which I start next week. 

@TheKrushh, finally settled on the build today. i decided to push back on the initial build suggestion of hazrdus smoke rdx tx 70g @ 8.0/46.5" and opted for 7.5/45" instead. since my body won't let me go full bore more than 1x-2x/wk i've accepted that accuracy and precision will give me more enjoyment than speed and distance at this point. thanks for questioning the wisdom of 46.5", i really appreciate your feedback.

next i'm going to get my 2i re-shafted and swap out my 2h. 2h has been a great club off the tee but on tight holes i've been defaulting to 4i. my lateral dispersion is much better with 2i than 2h, so even if i sacrifice 20y-40y distance on mishits with 2i vs 2h i would still get similar distance to 4i. biggest tradeoff as far as i can tell is shots out of the rough on long holes. i.e. 2h is much easier to gouge out of rough than 2i.

separately, i've been considering taking aimpoint (express) lessons. anyone know of aimpoint clinics or instructors in the denver metro area? thanks!

• Like 1

Someone down at Trent Werner's school offers Aimpoint once in a while, but, again, I would highly recommend against doing the class at Meridian. I believe TW has set up shop somewhere north, and I'm sure that course's practice greens are significantly better.

• Thanks 1

Live in Colorado? Visit ColoradoWRX!

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

On 8/1/2021 at 9:54 PM, Hardrain said:

Jacob - what are you using to take those images and get your distances? Rapsodo?

The images are just screenshots from a video I made. I used the Shot Tracer app to trace all the ball flights, took screen shots of every shot, edited them all in Photoshop to lay on top of one another.

Distances I used the app GolfShot. Let's you mark where you are when you hit it and gives you real time yardages as you walk around. So I just took pen & paper and recorded every distance as I stopped to pick up the ball.

24 minutes ago, jacobEDGE said:

Had an absolute blast at the Sanctuary. Truly beautiful and one of a kind. Hoping I get to go back some day. Even as a modified scramble (shamble), I still made 5 solo birdies, which was a major highlight. 

Sanctuary1.jpg

Sanctuary2.jpg

Sanctuary3.jpg

Also; here's a compilation video of a few swings I recorded.

spectacular scenery and looks like you had a great round! thanks for sharing, man. hope to get out there one day, too 😄

• Like 1

Was up in Steamboat last week.  I always play Haymaker when I go up there and got a few rounds in there, always a favorite.  However, I also played Rollingstone Ranch and holy crap, not sure what I've been doing not playing that course more often.  It is absolutely beautiful and is really fun to play.  Just a wonderful golf course.  

Also got to play Cherry Hills a few weeks back, what an experience.  Really cool track to play and obviously the history of the place made it very special to play.  I wish the clubhouse was open so I could walk around and see all the historical stuff they have in there but the one they are building now will surely be spectacular.  

Side note, anyone play Plum Creek recently?  I have a time there Friday and wondering what the course conditions were like.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Was up in Steamboat last week.  I always play Haymaker when I go up there and got a few rounds in there, always a favorite.  However, I also played Rollingstone Ranch and holy crap, not sure what I've been doing not playing that course more often.  It is absolutely beautiful and is really fun to play.  Just a wonderful golf course.  

Also got to play Cherry Hills a few weeks back, what an experience.  Really cool track to play and obviously the history of the place made it very special to play.  I wish the clubhouse was open so I could walk around and see all the historical stuff they have in there but the one they are building now will surely be spectacular.  

Side note, anyone play Plum Creek recently?  I have a time there Friday and wondering what the course conditions were like.  

Played Plum maybe a week ago. Course looks great! Great, considering the condition it was in the previous 5 years or so. Still not Augusta by any means...but the grass is grown in, greens roll pretty solid. It's a major improvement. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jacobEDGE said:

Played Plum maybe a week ago. Course looks great! Great, considering the condition it was in the previous 5 years or so. Still not Augusta by any means...but the grass is grown in, greens roll pretty solid. It's a major improvement. 

Awesome, I'll definitely take that!  Now if I can just figure that damn course out....

I played a course in Rapid City, SD on Sunday called The Golf Club at Red Rocks.  This is the top rated public course in South Dakota and I have to say I was less than impressed.  The conditioning was pretty good, a bit soggy in many places on the course.  Greens were rolling well, maybe 9.5 to 10, and a bit soft so shots were holding them.  The problem I have with the course is that the greens are very undulating and pretty severe.  Many of the plateaus didn't have enough level areas for fair pin placements.  The course also had several holes with blind shots, including one par 5 (#14, 603 yards from the black/blue tees) that had a blind drive, blind layup and a blind approach, which I have never seen before.  I am not a fan of blind shots and can accept a hole or two that has a blind shot, but this course had too many of them.  I found the front side easier than the back side.  That said, I had a really good day with the short game, chipped in on a par 3 for birdie and saved several pars.  This was the third round with my DH89 flow neck putter and it performed extremely well.  I don't think I missed any putt inside 4-5 feet all day.  I ordered this putter from Byron Morgan in the summer of 2014 at a PutterTalk golf outing in the Cleveland area but really never used it ..... until now. 

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.8°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan 1999 Apex blade 3-E, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°(bent to 52°) / 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Ball: Taylormade TP5

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5 stand bag