2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

I need to accept the fact that I need a lesson every couple months throughout the season since I'm still newer to the game. This whole year I've felt like I don't have the distance I'm used to and 5 minutes into a lesson my instructor says, "You're swing looks pretty good from what I can see you've been working on this year. Let's check your setup... Well there's your problem. You're setting up to an 8i like you're trying to hit a flop shot." Turns out, actually squaring up the clubface at address and keeping my hands a little in front the belt buckle resolved 90% of my issues. 🙃 I need to stop struggling for weeks on end and just go see him whenever something starts getting out of whack. Hopefully I'll be back to regular scores again in a few weeks time instead of the numbers that have been creeping up.

• Like 4

South Dakota is pretty weak for golf in all honesty. Of the three courses I've played in the Rapids City area (Red Rock, Harts Ranch, and Elkhorn), Elkhorn is quite a bit better than the other two. I'd play there next time or drive to Devils Tower and play there. Only course I've played in SD that I loved is Sutton Bay. 

On 8/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, RobotDoctor said:

I played a course in Rapid City, SD on Sunday called The Golf Club at Red Rocks.  This is the top rated public course in South Dakota and I have to say I was less than impressed.  The conditioning was pretty good, a bit soggy in many places on the course.  Greens were rolling well, maybe 9.5 to 10, and a bit soft so shots were holding them.  The problem I have with the course is that the greens are very undulating and pretty severe.  Many of the plateaus didn't have enough level areas for fair pin placements.  The course also had several holes with blind shots, including one par 5 (#14, 603 yards from the black/blue tees) that had a blind drive, blind layup and a blind approach, which I have never seen before.  I am not a fan of blind shots and can accept a hole or two that has a blind shot, but this course had too many of them.  I found the front side easier than the back side.  That said, I had a really good day with the short game, chipped in on a par 3 for birdie and saved several pars.  This was the third round with my DH89 flow neck putter and it performed extremely well.  I don't think I missed any putt inside 4-5 feet all day.  I ordered this putter from Byron Morgan in the summer of 2014 at a PutterTalk golf outing in the Cleveland area but really never used it ..... until now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irvtrain said:

South Dakota is pretty weak for golf in all honesty. Of the three courses I've played in the Rapids City area (Red Rock, Harts Ranch, and Elkhorn), Elkhorn is quite a bit better than the other two. I'd play there next time or drive to Devils Tower and play there. Only course I've played in SD that I loved is Sutton Bay. 

Sutton Bay looks like an outstanding course.  I would love to play that one someday.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

16 hours ago, birdiemachine said:

82 today with 40 putts. Have absolute confidence in my ball striking and none in my putting. Putting defensively. So bad. 

we played member member this weekend and my father in law (in alternate shot) missed 10 putts ranging from 18 inches to 8 feet. Once it's in your head, it's so hard to change. The second day he came out and drained 4 putts over 15 feet on the first four holes. Golf is a WIERD mind game man.

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

3 hours ago, thaar said:

Round 1 under the belt. Didn't play great, but also didn't play poorly. All pars and bogeys for an 85 for a net 77. I just couldn't find the bottom of the hole despite putting fairly well. I lipped two out and burned 4 or 5 edges today. All in all, I'm sitting in 12th out of 22 and think I'm back 6 overall. 2 more rounds, so I certainly didn't shoot my way out of it. Hopefully the golf gods are on my side tomorrow and let some putts drop!

good luck, man!!

• Like 1

Well I shot myself out of the tournament in day 2. I was one of the first tee times, so I'm not sure if I was overly tired (or potentially hungover 🤣), but I just couldn't find a swing at all. Then the wind kicked up fierce, but my game was already trash. I did end up coming back yesterday and played pretty well aside from 2 holes where my bunker play was awful. Shot an 81 (net 73) with 2 doubles and a triple, but still managed to win the "consolation tourney" (a one-day event for those out of contention) as well as picking up a skin. Disappointing that I couldn't pull together a good round 2, but so be it.

• Like 3

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

2 hours ago, jacobEDGE said:

Also, speaking of Murphy Creek... went out a few weeks back and shot my all time personal best score. Filmed the whole thing too.

Great Vid and round!  Could of been really low..! Course management was perfect as if you had played it a few times 😃 

Your body language on 10... I thought for sure that was in the trees on the left or blocked out LOL

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CDM said:

Great Vid and round!  Could of been really low..! Course management was perfect as if you had played it a few times 😃 

Your body language on 10... I thought for sure that was in the trees on the left or blocked out LOL

Haha, nope. Just chunky. I tend to have dramatic reactions when I hit the ground before the ball. It's less of the result, more just super frustrated with the poor contact. Same with my approach on 13. 

On 8/25/2021 at 11:54 AM, jacobEDGE said:

Also, speaking of Murphy Creek... went out a few weeks back and shot my all time personal best score. Filmed the whole thing too.

Wow, what a great round! You made the game look easy! That round could have been crazy low had a few of those putts dropped. Huge bummer to 3-jack the final hole, but I'm sure your nerves were going nuts. Congrats! 

What are you using to track the ball and distance? Solid video, and you certainly can mash the ball. 👍

Edel E-1

I'd love to play one of the Air Force Academy courses at some point. I have a couple friends that are retired AF, but don't play golf. Can they book a tee time for me, or do they have to play?

Edel E-1

After my disaster of a round at Coal Creek on July 31, I literally did not pick up my golf clubs during the month of August. Today, after hitting a single range ball on the range (I had planned on hitting a bucket but work made me arrive 5 minutes before our tee time), I set out on Lone Tree GC. My first swing, a 3-iron off the 1st tee, sent the ball 150 yards into the junk. My second swing was not much better, barely clearing the junk. Five swings later, I was in with a quadruple bogey. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting much. Then I went bogey-par-par-birdie-par-bogey-par-bogey for a 42 (40 adjusted). I really only had one bad drive after the 1st hole, my approach shots weren't terrible (although most ended up pushed right of the green or short and left), and my putting wasn't a bleep show. I think I got up-and-down four times for a birdie and three pars.

Maybe I'll find some time this long weekend to hit some ball. Maybe.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

34 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

After my disaster of a round at Coal Creek on July 31, I literally did not pick up my golf clubs during the month of August. Today, after hitting a single range ball on the range (I had planned on hitting a bucket but work made me arrive 5 minutes before our tee time), I set out on Lone Tree GC. My first swing, a 3-iron off the 1st tee, sent the ball 150 yards into the junk. My second swing was not much better, barely clearing the junk. Five swings later, I was in with a quadruple bogey. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting much. Then I went bogey-par-par-birdie-par-bogey-par-bogey for a 42 (40 adjusted). I really only had one bad drive after the 1st hole, my approach shots weren't terrible (although most ended up pushed right of the green or short and left), and my putting wasn't a bleep show. I think I got up-and-down four times for a birdie and three pars.

Maybe I'll find some time this long weekend to hit some ball. Maybe.

Sounds like my game this year - feast or famine. Tonight, I shot a 40 with 2 doubles. 

Despite me thinking my game is better than last year, my handicap is worse and keeps declining. Frustrating game at times!

Edited by thaar
  • Like 1

Edel E-1

59 minutes ago, golf4pj said:

You have to be sponsored/accompanied by active-duty military, retired military, Federal Govt civilian or Government Contractor (with a CAC ID).

I'm a full-member there, I typically play there every Friday and Sunday, even though I live in Highlands Ranch, it's still my home course.  It's about 45 min from my driveway to the Eisenhower Golf Club's parking lot.

We've never met, but as part of the Golf WRX family, I'd be happy to host you for a round.  You're nearby, so we could carpool down.

Send me a private email and we'll go from there...

-- Peejer (P.J. Evans)

Super generous! I'll ping you for sure as I'm in the area as well in Centennial. 

Edel E-1

17 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

hey guys, where do you think is the best short game practice area in denver metro? thanks!

4 hours ago, Dancin said:

Murphy Creek is probably best for public. Others with pretty good include Todd Creek, Green Valley Ranch, Walnut Creek.

Noooo Miurphy Creek is horrible...don't come out here 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2021 at 9:27 PM, hoselpalooza said:

hey guys, where do you think is the best short game practice area in denver metro? thanks!

Obligatory Family Sports Center. Short game area allows practice up to 100+ yards if it isn't busy, but it's always busy. I've been there on a completely dead hour and been able to practice 150 yard shots. GVR and Murphy Creek are probably "better" because you aren't trying to practice with 6 other jabronis on the same green and they still have decent range to practice and are fairly quiet. 

• Thanks 2

broken tee has a pretty good short game area, too. maybe i've just been lucky, but the past few times i've been out there it wasn't super busy. only downside imo is it's been super soft and the lies aren't as tight as i'd like. greens were recently sanded, but that's not a knock on the course, just a heads up in case anyone else wanted to check it out soon.