2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

On 9/5/2021 at 2:28 PM, CDM said:

Noooo Miurphy Creek is horrible...don't come out here 🤣

can confirm: absolutely terrible, nobody come here 😂

spent the afternoon there today and had a wonderful time. practice facilities were in great shape. chipped alongside some HS kids from columbine who could flat out play, including the #3 ranked kid in the world for his age. all the kids spent 5 minutes fixing divots on the practice green when they were done. pure class👌

i would love to get out there once a week after work. totally worth it if it's not too busy.

p.s. @Dancin, thanks again for the recommendation 👍

Hit some balls at Lone Tree Golf Club tonight. Their new-ish short game area is really nice; although any shots beyond 50 yards is from an elevated position.

Their practice green is really beat up compared to the beginning of the season; hopefully it will be back to normal next season.

• Thanks 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

15 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

can confirm: absolutely terrible, nobody come here 😂

spent the afternoon there today and had a wonderful time. practice facilities were in great shape. chipped alongside some HS kids from columbine who could flat out play, including the #3 ranked kid in the world for his age. all the kids spent 5 minutes fixing divots on the practice green when they were done. pure class👌

i would love to get out there once a week after work. totally worth it if it's not too busy.

p.s. @Dancin, thanks again for the recommendation 👍

I was out there last night around 5ish and it was so empty and really nice....  So No one come out here

• Like 1

Walnut Creek's short game area is pretty good. The one thing it's missing that I'd like to see is a bunker from which you could hit full swing (fairway bunker) type shots. But this isn't really a knock on WC, as this is relatively rare. But it is too bad as it's a great thing to be able to practice.

Sometimes I resort to simulating this at some ranges by raking piles of sand into a larger bare patches. Not perfect, by far, but better than not practicing this shot at all.

Of all the things that have come with the uptick in golfer numbers, the last thing I worry about is competing for short game practice space. I can be at any number of courses where the range is packed, but the short games areas are relatively open. Not a surprise, really. While I'm a huge advocate of the benefits of having a good tee game, there's a distinctly large part of the population that simply never practices the short game at all.

Edited by dubbelbogey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went out Monday evening around 5:30 to putt and chip until the sun went down at Murphy. Even had a drink on the patio afterwards. Might have to make it a habit. A few guys left some beers on the practice green, but other than that it was a great time. Played a few games with my golfing partners to add some pressure to our chipping. Definitely a great place to practice. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ALi3 said:

Went out Monday evening around 5:30 to putt and chip until the sun went down at Murphy. Even had a drink on the patio afterwards. Might have to make it a habit. A few guys left some beers on the practice green, but other than that it was a great time. Played a few games with my golfing partners to add some pressure to our chipping. Definitely a great place to practice. 

Well well...we were there at the same time. 😃 

I got there around 5:45 and chiped a few and then putted aftter.  No beers for me but did sound good as the weather was perfect.   I live maybe 5 mins away.   The place is terrible to practice at.... so sad 🤣

22 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

Walnut Creek's short game area is pretty good. The one thing it's missing that I'd like to see is a bunker from which you could hit full swing (fairway bunker) type shots. But this isn't really a knock on WC, as this is relatively rare. But it is too bad as it's a great thing to be able to practice.

Sometimes I resort to simulating this at some ranges by raking piles of sand into a larger bare patches. Not perfect, by far, but better than not practicing this shot at all.

Of all the things that have come with the uptick in golfer numbers, the last thing I worry about is competing for short game practice space. I can be at any number of courses where the range is packed, but the short games areas are relatively open. Not a surprise, really. While I'm a huge advocate of the benefits of having a good tee game, there's a distinctly large part of the population that simply never practices the short game at all.

Murphy has one... on the far right of the range just a bit north of bunker area. Thing is I could see people shanking one into the houses on the right LOL.    Though MC is a terrible place to practice.... never go there 🙃

6 hours ago, ALi3 said:

32 minutes ago, CDM said:

Well well...we were there at the same time. 😃 

I got there around 5:45 and chiped a few and then putted aftter.  No beers for me but did sound good as the weather was perfect.   I live maybe 5 mins away.   The place is terrible to practice at.... so sad 🤣

guys, i believe we were there at the same time! i had a burger + beer before wrapping up at the 60y hole next to the putting green before sundown. saw the guys who left the silver bullets all around the putting green... i was the chubby dude who kept going to the cart barn to "steal" sand and seed bottles to replace my divots on the hole closest to the putting green 😂 (they really should keep a crate of sand and seed bottles in the practice area, but i digress...)

if i had to guess, @CDM was the guy with the dark-colored (navy?) polo and light/gray shorts on the putting green? or was that @ALi3?

lol this is some grade-a internet stalking here 🤣

anyway, next time i head out there i'll DM you guys first. would love to meet up with some WRX'ers out at MC. maybe play some games for a beer 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hoselpalooza said:

guys, i believe we were there at the same time! i had a burger + beer before wrapping up at the 60y hole next to the putting green before sundown. saw the guys who left the silver bullets all around the putting green... i was the chubby dude who kept going to the cart barn to "steal" sand and seed bottles to replace my divots on the hole closest to the putting green 😂 (they really should keep a crate of sand and seed bottles in the practice area, but i digress...)

if i had to guess, @CDM was the guy with the dark-colored (navy?) polo and light/gray shorts on the putting green? or was that @ALi3?

anyway, next time i head out there i'll DM you guys first. would love to meet up with some WRX'ers out at MC. maybe play some games for a beer 😄

You correctly identified one of my buddies. Haha. I was wearing a dark grey shirt and slide sandals. We gave my buddy some s*** for being overdressed for after dinner putting. Now next time I'm out there I'm going to start asking random dudes if they're on the golfwrx forums. Haha. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

Okay grey shorts/blue shirt would normally be a great guess but Monday I was wearing a white shirt /Titleist hat, shorts were black/dark grey spec ones.

There was some a group of 3 doing a putting contest while I putted, was that one you two?

37 minutes ago, CDM said:

Okay grey shorts/blue shirt would normally be a great guess but Monday I was wearing a white shirt /Titleist hat, shorts were black/dark grey spec ones.

There was some a group of 3 doing a putting contest while I putted, was that one you two?

no, but i saw those guys, too. i started on the chipping green near the driving range and then moved over to the short hole right next to the green after dinner. blue shorts, yellow shirt, and gray titleist aussie hat.

• Like 1

Played Broadlands for the first time on Saturday. My first 18-hole round since July 31. I was 1-under through the first five holes, then the wheels came off, and I limped in with an 85. My drives were mostly on-point, I did dunk two into the water off the tee (mainly aimed in the wrong direction); and my short game was pretty good (save for one duffed chip). I did have some trouble with approaches (often too long because of the wind or hit it too thin); I also had 40 putts because I couldn't get the speed right on downhill putts, and I would blow them by 5-8 feet.

What really killed me (almost literally) was the heat. This is one of the few tournaments that offers a discount for walkers, so I did that; plus, the weather forecast was pretty benign (so I thought). I thought I brought enough liquids with me. We saw the beer cart on the 2nd hole, and there was a marshall driving around with a large cooler of iced water bottles, and I picked up two bottles on the 6th hole. Then...nothing. By the 12th hole, I ran out of water, and by the 15th hole, I was feeling the initial signs of a heat stroke (slight headache, stopped sweating, increased heart rate). On the 16th tee, I called and complained to the pro shop that we hadn't seen the beer cart or marshall since the front 9, and the person who answered the phone told me he's not responsible. Somehow I did par 16 and 17, and I bogeyed 18 only because I put my drive into the lake almost next to the green. I then limped over to the beer tent and drank two Gatorades in under 3 minutes. Lesson learned: bring lots of water when walking.

While it's a massive pain in the rear to drive from Parker up to the 36 corridor, I now find solace that I can pick up some of the best Chinese BBQ in town on the way home. HuaKee BBQ (https://www.huakeebbq.com/) is next to the Westminster H-Mart (Asian supermarket) at 36 & Sheridan. The BBQ pork and roast pork belly are out of this world good.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 3

Wow. If I had gotten more advanced notice, I would've seriously considered this. $200 isn't a terrible deal.

Steamboat Springs City Championship

• Like 3

Anyone still have a D'Lance practice membership that I can tag along with one evening? I was able to score some Titleist Left Dots and I want to do a ball testing/comparison with the AVX, Pro V1, Left Dash, and Pro V1x.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

6 hours ago, CDM said:

As Dancin noted RCCC.  It by Deer Lodge (about 20 mins) so 1.5 hours from any major airport.  Then again every major city is 3 hours from each other in Montana 😃 

CDM - do you have a connection at RCCC? I am in Helena semi regularly for work (or at least I was before COVID) and plan to take a trip out to RCCC at some point. I figured a nicely-worded and polite email might get me on but curious if you have any other tips.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hardrain said:

CDM - do you have a connection at RCCC? I am in Helena semi regularly for work (or at least I was before COVID) and plan to take a trip out to RCCC at some point. I figured a nicely-worded and polite email might get me on but curious if you have any other tips.

Not really a contact it was a one off thing.  Pretty sure the email to them would probably get you out.

Nice evening out at The Meadows Golf Club. Even @seven dewey made a cameo appearance. I shot a 40 with a double on the 9th hole; I also chucked my first drive OB on #6, then almost drove the green and two-putted for a bogey.

We played as a six-some because the foursomes ahead of us were crazy slow.

(To be fair, we played as an eight-some last Thursday at Lone Tree and kept up with the foursome ahead of us up until the last hole.)

Played GVR today. The course is in meh shape, and the greens are stupid fast. What was most amazing was that we played 18 in 4h25min. That also included waiting almost every single shot for the foursome in front of us (they were often a full hole behind the group ahead of them).

Hey all,

My gf and I are considering a move and Denver is on the short list of cities in contention. Just wanted to pop in and get your thoughts on the golf scene there. It seems like the public options are pretty strong with common ground and a few others? I'm coming from the NYC area where getting a tee time is tough and then you'll be lucky to have a 4.5 hour round if you do find one. Is the private golf in the area at all affordable? There doesn't seem to be much info online. I'm hoping i can move somewhere where the commute for golf will be way lower than the current 2.5 hours round trip i'm dealing with generally and there are decent options for both public and (ideally) semi-affordable private.

Would really appreciate any insight you guys can give, thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waukamp89 said:

Hey all,

My gf and I are considering a move and Denver is on the short list of cities in contention. Just wanted to pop in and get your thoughts on the golf scene there. It seems like the public options are pretty strong with common ground and a few others? I'm coming from the NYC area where getting a tee time is tough and then you'll be lucky to have a 4.5 hour round if you do find one. Is the private golf in the area at all affordable? There doesn't seem to be much info online. I'm hoping i can move somewhere where the commute for golf will be way lower than the current 2.5 hours round trip i'm dealing with generally and there are decent options for both public and (ideally) semi-affordable private.

Would really appreciate any insight you guys can give, thanks!

"Affordable" is in the eye of the beholder. From what I believe I've seen in other parts of WRX, Colorado is on the pricey side compared to what you find in the midwest and east coast. That said, here is a guide to every private club in Colorado with listed initiation fees and monthly due ranges (depending on age/family).

https://coloradoavidgolfer.com/your-guide-to-private-clubs/

I live in the southern 'burbs of Denver, and I can get to pretty much all public courses in the metro area (even up by Boulder) in under 75 minutes on the weekends--provided there is no Broncos or Buffs game. That said, if you choose to live between Denver and Boulder, you will have a large selection of quality public courses (Walnut Creek, Hyland Hills, Broadlands, Indian Peaks, Coal Creek, Thorncreek, etc. etc.) all within 30 minutes of your house. However, as with the national trend of an increased interest in golf, 4.5 hour rounds is nice, but pretty rare. At most Denver muni courses, even before the pandemic, you're lucky to get in under 5.5 hours.

Once you narrow down where you want to live, we can provide better advice on the nearby courses.

Edited by pseudoswede

In other news, it appears Parker/Aurora will be getting a new golf course in the next few years.

Oakwood Homes bought 900 acres just north of the Parker Costco to build out a ton of new homes plus a "PGA quality" golf course. The current rumors are that it will be semi-private.

https://villagerpublishing.com/oakwood-land-company-announces-acquisition-of-kings-point/

Kings-Point.jpg

1 hour ago, pseudoswede said:

Oakwood Homes bought 900 acres just north of the Parker Costco to build out a ton of new homes plus a "PGA quality" golf course. The current rumors are that it will be semi-private.

"PGA Quality" not making me very interested. These courses rarely are great when done by a major home builder like Oakwood. The course is a loss leader to sell the houses. Watch it be a Dick Phelps design

Edited by Dancin