2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

2 hours ago, thaar said:

If you host again, I'd love to join. It doesn't get much better than golf and beer! Pretty awesome you picked up a GCQuad. I'd really like to get the GC3, but that's not in the cards this year. 

Great post, and welcome! I'm a bit jealous of some of the courses you've played! My friends kid was looping at CGC during the summer and was supposed to get me on last year, but that never happened 😞

There will be opportunities all winter long. My brother has been over the last three days in a row due to the cold.

CGC is my favorite track in the state, I can't wait to play it again. I also haven't played the big tour stops such as Cherry Hills or Castle Pines (GC or CC).

CGC really is fantastic.  Such a fun course to play.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I wish more courses would get rid of carts and go walking only.  I know they won't because of revenue and the flack they would probably catch....but if a place like CommonGround went walking only I'd be so happy 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, ztull said:

My pleasure. Agree there is a ton of good golf in Colorado and I still haven't played:

Ravenna

Glenmoor

Castle Pines Golf Club

Maroon Creek Club.

And I'm sure others. 

Mullen is about 4 hours north east of FoCo, there's some great golf there. Obviously Sand Hills, difficult to secure an invitation, but Dismal River is open to some unaccompanied guest play and they have two GREAT courses. Nicklaus did the original 18, and put up some GREAT holes, though the routing, as we've come to expect, leaves something to be desired, (spread WAY the fudge out and if you don't know the course you're going to blow by some holes).

Tom Doak did their Red Course which has the most coherent routing of any course I've ever encountered. It's about two miles from the clubhouse, so walking the course takes just a bit of doing, (if you're playing with a friend, drive two carts down from the clubhouse, stage one behind 18, take the other to 1 tee, if you're playing by yourself, ask the cart staff to drive down with you, stage your cart behind 18, hitch a ride to 1 tee) but 100% worth it.

Walking this course is a religious experience. Studying the aerial view gives me the same satisfying feeling as fitting the last piece into a puzzle. I live to evaluate courses from my feet, so maybe a bit of an oversell, but I LOVE Dismal Red. 

Also have some honor box courses out there, Mullen GC, Pelican Bay, Augusta Wind which are put up by community members and it's great to see the pride of ownership, and that those courses still exist (RIP, Haystack Mountain).

Wild Horse is a couple hours south, Bayside is on your way out, this is great to combine with Bally if you have the time, the accommodations at Dismal are PRIMO...

Man, this has me dreaming of a Mullen/Bally trip to rival a Bandon Dunes trip, all less than 4 hours from me. Sounds like the biggest challenge is getting the invites...

• Like 1

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

2 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I wish more courses would get rid of carts and go walking only.  I know they won't because of revenue and the flack they would probably catch....but if a place like CommonGround went walking only I'd be so happy 🙂

Given the rumors around them losing money and kicking the pro out earlier this year I think that will never happen. Still can't figure out how they hell they could be losing money at Common Ground. Gross mismanagement if true.

19 hours ago, ASak10 said:

I would love walking only (except to accommodate disabilities). Totally changes the vibe of a course, in a good way. I think a lot of courses in Scotland are this way, at least I don't remember seeing too many "buggies" the Old Course and Carnoustie...

• Like 1

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

16 hours ago, Dancin said:

Given the rumors around them losing money and kicking the pro out earlier this year I think that will never happen. Still can't figure out how they hell they could be losing money at Common Ground. Gross mismanagement if true.

I played a round with Troyer after all that went down.  From what he said it definitely wasn't about the money and there's little to no chance CG is losing money.  It was simply a personality difference between him and the head of CGA....doesn't sound like it was anything more.  He'd also been there for a long time so I think at some point people are just ready for a change.  

31 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I would love walking only (except to accommodate disabilities). Totally changes the vibe of a course, in a good way. I think a lot of courses in Scotland are this way, at least I don't remember seeing too many "buggies" the Old Course and Carnoustie...

This is the cart barn at my in-law's club in Sweden. Up until recently, I basically never saw carts out on the course except for the truly disabled golfers. Now, I do see the occasional foursome of dude bros in carts. If I were to turn the camera around towards the clubhouse, you would typically see 40-50 push carts.

What I also like that clubs in Sweden usually have a station with a compressed air hose where you can blow away all of the grass clippings and goose poop from your shoes and cart wheels before putting it back into your car.

image.png.7fc1a4aa6f849bd10e817825c6b4615d.png

• Like 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

56 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

This is the cart barn at my in-law's club in Sweden. Up until recently, I basically never saw carts out on the course except for the truly disabled golfers. Now, I do see the occasional foursome of dude bros in carts. If I were to turn the camera around towards the clubhouse, you would typically see 40-50 push carts.

What I also like that clubs in Sweden usually have a station with a compressed air hose where you can blow away all of the grass clippings and goose poop from your shoes and cart wheels before putting it back into your car.

image.png.7fc1a4aa6f849bd10e817825c6b4615d.png

Most out of place item for me is the bike! Can't say that's a common occurrence anywhere I play over here. The Venn diagram of people that leave their bag at the club house and that use bikes as a primary form of transportation are probably two circles with no overlap in the US. 

I think that bike is for golf course employees. I always get a kick out of pictures of people with golf bags on NYC subways.

For alternate golf transportation, Coal Creek has golf bikes and Raccoon Creek has golfboards.

My dad would take his motorcycle from Castle Pines to Family Sports golf range. He'd stick a few golf clubs in one saddle bag (with most of the shaft and grips sticking out) and a shag bag full of range balls in the other saddle bag.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 5:13 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

Man, this has me dreaming of a Mullen/Bally trip to rival a Bandon Dunes trip, all less than 4 hours from me. Sounds like the biggest challenge is getting the invites...

Sandhills is harder, but doable. Dismal isn’t nearly as difficult. And man is it a lot of fun. We spent several hours in the evening  playing pool in their pool room…..their wait staff was incredible, I don’t think they ever let our drinks get empty ( we could tell when we looked at the bill). Limited menu, but very good. Plus you get to try to lasso the “steer head” out by the back patio!

And you can also throw in Prairie Club if you want. A little longer to drive, but the cabins are phenomenal. The golf’s not bad either. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Sandhills is harder, but doable. Dismal isn’t nearly as difficult. And man is it a lot of fun. We spent several hours in the evening  playing pool in their pool room…..their wait staff was incredible, I don’t think they ever let our drinks get empty ( we could tell when we looked at the bill). Limited menu, but very good. Plus you get to try to lasso the “steer head” out by the back patio!

And you can also throw in Prairie Club if you want. A little longer to drive, but the cabins are phenomenal. The golf’s not bad either. 

I will always sing the praises of Eastern CO and Nebraska being the perfect golf trip if you want to play for 4-5 days and drive. The area is perfect for great golf and unpretentious people.   

Prairie Club is amazing. It feels like you're in the middle of the Sahara dessert if the sand was covered in grass. The landscape is so different from anything else. I'm sure Sand Hills is the same story.

Everyone says Dismal is fairly easy to get on, but that was not the case for me. Although I essentially cold called them and just asked as politely as I could. 

Few other courses worth visiting out there: Awarii Dunes (a toned down Jim Engh), Bayside, and Augusta Winds is up by Prairie Dunes. It's just a community maintained 9 with an honesty box, but something to be said for playing simple golf in the middle of nowhere.

And Obviously Wild Horse. That course is literally worth the drive if you only have a day to golf.  

• Like 3

I’m biased being from there, but I really believe Nebraska is a terrific destination. Outside of the biggies we’ve mentioned, there a bunch of other good tracts that most people haven’t heard of. 

And if you hit up some of the little town nine holers you’ll be blown away by the value you get. 

• Like 3

I drove by Wellshire multiple times taking my kid to/from 7:15am hockey practice yesterday and today. Then I drove by Hyland Hills golf courses this afternoon on the way to a hockey game. I'm jealous of everyone that got out to play this beautiful weekend. Next weekend also looks great--except I'll be in Steamboat for a hockey tournament.

• Like 2

Got out to Ute Creek today. Weather was amazing. We joked about how incredible it is to be playing in November and the fact we were making the same comment in October. Totally spaced daylight savings adjustment. 11:40 essentially being 12:40 I started getting nervous after we caught a slow group on 4 and had to wait every shot the remainder of the front. An on course miracle occurred. A marshal came by without any notice from us and was actually able to get the group in front of us to speed up after the turn. Couldn't have been a complaint from anyone else as we had no one behind us all day. Shot an 84 with abysmal iron play so I'll take it. 

Subtle signs winter is still creeping in. Had a few shots chase a little further than expected into trouble.         

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

Who wants to play next weekend?!?! Looking like 60's

I'd be down. I can't play Saturday, but likely can on Sunday. 

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I want to get new wedges for next year.  Would like to get fit outside for them.  I want to wait for the SM9s to come out as well before going for a fitting...so earliest would likely be February/March of next year from what I've seen.  I'm looking to replace my 54 and 58.  I rarely if ever use those for full shots so would like to test them closer to the green if possible hitting partial shots, bunker shots, chips, etc.  Any ideas of best place to do it?  Club Champion can't do outside, Gott doesn't carry Titleist I don't think...True Spec may be the best bet?  I think I'd have to wait until next May then because the Castle Pines location closes for the winter if I remember right.  Just curious if anyone has other ideas for a place to play around outside with a bunch of different wedges.  Actually wouldn't even need a bunch, I'm really just looking to test the SM9 with the Mizuno T22s and the new TaylorMade wedges.  I'd be open to others but those 3 are currently on my short list.  

On 11/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, ALi3 said:

Got out to Ute Creek today. Weather was amazing. We joked about how incredible it is to be playing in November and the fact we were making the same comment in October. Totally spaced daylight savings adjustment. 11:40 essentially being 12:40 I started getting nervous after we caught a slow group on 4 and had to wait every shot the remainder of the front. An on course miracle occurred. A marshal came by without any notice from us and was actually able to get the group in front of us to speed up after the turn. Couldn't have been a complaint from anyone else as we had no one behind us all day. Shot an 84 with abysmal iron play so I'll take it. 

Subtle signs winter is still creeping in. Had a few shots chase a little further than expected into trouble.         

I played out there on the 30th and thought the greens were rolling as good as they ever have. It was a pretty nice day except for the breeze picking up with wind into on the 16-18 stretch home which is not short without the wind. Hoping this weather keeps up and I can get out there again the 20th. I like that course for the price up here.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:22 PM, pseudoswede said:

I drove by Wellshire multiple times taking my kid to/from 7:15am hockey practice yesterday and today. Then I drove by Hyland Hills golf courses this afternoon on the way to a hockey game. I'm jealous of everyone that got out to play this beautiful weekend. Next weekend also looks great--except I'll be in Steamboat for a hockey tournament.

Same for me, no golf during that beautiful weekend. I did go by Highland Hills Sunday and the parking lot was absolutely packed. Not slowing down here yet. 

On 11/9/2021 at 6:47 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

Same for me, no golf during that beautiful weekend. I did go by Highland Hills Sunday and the parking lot was absolutely packed. Not slowing down here yet. 

My kid has a hockey tournament in NoCo in January, and we're staying at the Embassy Suites right near there. If the weather is good enough, and the schedule is generous, I will bring my golf clubs.

Edited to add: hanging out with hockey parents is bad for my liver.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

My kid has a hockey tournament in NoCo in January, and we're staying at the Embassy Suites right near there. If the weather is good enough, and the schedule is generous, I will bring my golf clubs.

Edited to add: hanging out with hockey parents is bad for my liver.

The one by the Budweiser Event Center?  And Highland Meadows?

Have you played there?

I'd be willing to play this weekend if it weren't for this programming project that needs to be completed.  🤔

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

5 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Have you played there?

Oops... I meant Highland Meadows.

Again, hockey parents + whiskey + midnight = bad idea 🤣

• Haha 2

On 11/13/2021 at 5:24 AM, deadsolid...shank said:

Have you played there?

Played Highland Meadows about a month ago.  Greens a little beat up but the course was nice.  No trees, huge greens and no 2 holes the same.  Loved it.  First time I've seen pot bunkers (stacked turf walls).

+MV%EKWbQv2xGdW%sTuaNA.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, I_HATE_SNOW said:

Played Highland Meadows about a month ago.  Greens a little beat up but the course was nice.  No trees, huge greens and no 2 holes the same.  Loved it.  First time I've seen pot bunkers (stacked turf walls).

+MV%EKWbQv2xGdW%sTuaNA.jpg

I really enjoy the course. Like you said, a lot of variety. Fun and playable. But they’re starting to get up in price to where I’ll have second thoughts. I think last time I played there (early this past summer I think) it was something like $80.  That was with a cart. 

• Like 1