Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

3 hours ago, I_HATE_SNOW said:

First time I've seen pot bunkers (stacked turf walls).

If you ever play TPC Colorado, you'll never want to see another one in this state ever again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

11 hours ago, Dancin said:

They are selling a $599 10 round with cart pass good anytime right now.

I’ve been getting emails for that special too. It’s so hard for me to spend that kind of money for10 rounds.  It was less than that for an unlimited play season pass at the courses back home. 

It is a pretty good value though considering the current fees. 

13 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

It’s a fun course. But it is pricey. 

Im detecting a theme……I must be cheap.  

Welcome to Colorado my friend! TPC isn't worth the $ IMO. Good to check it out once, but I wouldn't play it more than once a year at the prices they ask. I played it once for free and that was enough for me.

Chris doesn't give you discounted rates at Highland?

57 minutes ago, Joelness said:

Welcome to Colorado my friend! TPC isn't worth the $ IMO. Good to check it out once, but I wouldn't play it more than once a year at the prices they ask. I played it once for free and that was enough for me.

Chris doesn't give you discounted rates at Highland?

Thats why I rarely get anywhere else anymore, because i work there I play Highland and Boomerang for free!

That’s really the only reason I work there. 

Im like you, I enjoyed TPC. I think we payed about $125. But as it gets closer to $200 I get real hesitant about it. My best friend from Nebraska really wants to play it though, so I might once next summer. We’ll see. 

5 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Thats why I rarely get anywhere else anymore, because i work there I play Highland and Boomerang for free!

That’s really the only reason I work there. 

Im like you, I enjoyed TPC. I think we payed about $125. But as it gets closer to $200 I get real hesitant about it. My best friend from Nebraska really wants to play it though, so I might once next summer. We’ll see. 

That makes perfect sense. I love Highland, it's an awesome track. Long term it will make you better also as it requires precision ball-striking and very good putting on those crazy greens.

49 minutes ago, Joelness said:

That makes perfect sense. I love Highland, it's an awesome track. Long term it will make you better also as it requires precision ball-striking and very good putting on those crazy greens.

That’s what I’ve found out. I’ve always been a predominant drawer of the ball. That obviously doesn’t work there. While I still don’t move it left to right very well I have been able to straighten out the ball flight a bit. Another buddy from hone played with me a while back and asked, “since when do you hit a straight ball”? 
The thing that I’ve really noticed is that not only do you need to shape it well, it also needs to be hit a pretty specific distance of you end up through the fairways on the “other” side. 
After three years I’m not even close to figuring out the greens. 
Our last match in the Winter Skins we played the guy who holds the course record……60!

Edited by deadsolid...shank

1 hour ago, deadsolid...shank said:

That’s what I’ve found out. I’ve always been a predominant drawer of the ball. That obviously doesn’t work there. While I still don’t move it left to right very well I have been able to straighten out the ball flight a bit. Another buddy from hone played with me a while back and asked, “since when do you hit a straight ball”? 
The thing that I’ve really noticed is that not only do you need to shape it well, it also needs to be hit a pretty specific distance of you end up through the fairways on the “other” side. 
After three years I’m not even close to figuring out the greens. 
Our last match in the Winter Skins we played the guy who holds the course record……60!

Yep, with doglegs like they have you really need to hit shots that match the line and distance. Hitting shots that turn the wrong way make it 5x harder to hit a fairway. LOL to the greens comment, they are tough!

Ah, you must have played Erik Hogan. He's an awesome dude and a hell of a player. One of my favorite guys I've met playing CO tournament golf.

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

Yep, with doglegs like they have you really need to hit shots that match the line and distance. Hitting shots that turn the wrong way make it 5x harder to hit a fairway. LOL to the greens comment, they are tough!

Ah, you must have played Erik Hogan. He's an awesome dude and a hell of a player. One of my favorite guys I've met playing CO tournament golf.

That’s him, couldn’t remember his name. He was really fun to play with. His partner played at UNC as well. Was fun to watch him hit it. 

On 11/17/2021 at 8:48 AM, stoneydukes said:

I've got a 9:30A at Ute Creek this Saturday if WRXers want to join. Currently 2 spots open. Looks to be decent weather for this time of year. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Dang, this almost worked for me. Have a niece's birthday party at 2 in Fort Collins. Probably not going to work out. Would love to try again in the future. Love Ute Creek.

Checked Collindale website for a 9 am tee time on Saturday. Of course the website shows there isn't a single tee time until 12:10, which is not actually the case. My only gripe with Collindale (and all FC city courses) is they let you book a tee time with no skin in the game, so everyone books a tee time "just in case", and then half or more of the people who booked don't show up. It's just annoying, because I know that's going to happen, so I show up as a single on Saturday morning to "see if I can get out as a single," and the guy is all exasperated because "they're full until 12:10," so I just say, "Well, if one person doesn't show up, can you just pair me with a group?" and then I get out usually the first or second tee time. If I were in charge, I'd make you put at least $5 down to make a weekend tee time. I think the course would end up making more money. Saturday morning often looks like a ghost town out there because the people who made tee times don't show up, and the people that actually wanted to play couldn't get a tee time on the website so they didn't even try to show up. Annoying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

3 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Dang, this almost worked for me. Have a niece's birthday party at 2 in Fort Collins. Probably not going to work out. Would love to try again in the future. Love Ute Creek.

Checked Collindale website for a 9 am tee time on Saturday. Of course the website shows there isn't a single tee time until 12:10, which is not actually the case. My only gripe with Collindale (and all FC city courses) is they let you book a tee time with no skin in the game, so everyone books a tee time "just in case", and then half or more of the people who booked don't show up. It's just annoying, because I know that's going to happen, so I show up as a single on Saturday morning to "see if I can get out as a single," and the guy is all exasperated because "they're full until 12:10," so I just say, "Well, if one person doesn't show up, can you just pair me with a group?" and then I get out usually the first or second tee time. If I were in charge, I'd make you put at least $5 down to make a weekend tee time. I think the course would end up making more money. Saturday morning often looks like a ghost town out there because the people who made tee times don't show up, and the people that actually wanted to play couldn't get a tee time on the website so they didn't even try to show up. Annoying.

Same in Greeley. But it seems like people showed up this year.  

On 11/18/2021 at 10:52 AM, ASak10 said:

If you can find a member to make a tee time for you it is significantly cheaper than the rack rate.  I love the course but yeah, if I have to pay the full guest rate it's a once a season type place for me.  

Curious on what the rates are?  Can't find them on the website.  Buddy's neighbor is a member and he said about $200?  Twice what I'd pay.

Edited by I_HATE_SNOW

49 minutes ago, I_HATE_SNOW said:

Played Boomerang, pre Covid, had a elder single join us.  He was an ex tour, ex army golfer?  Nice guy, enjoyed the round and the course.  Guy was good and playing his second 18 of the day.  Hope I'm that capable when the time comes.

Boomerang is going to look really different next year.  The new holes look pretty good. 

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 1

Alright boys - for those of you interested in playing Eisenhower Golf Club at the Air Force Academy...

I'm playing the Silver course (which is the 'Mountain' course) on Black Friday, November 26th, 2021 @ 10:25am.

I haven't asked anyone else yet - so I'll hold open some spots if some of the Colorado WRX crew wants in.

They've gone to 'winter rates', so it's $40 to walk (I usually do) or $55 with a cart.

Send me a private message if you're interested.

-- P.J.

• Like 4

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
Srixon ZX 3W and Cobra RadSpeed Hybrid

:taylormade-small:P790 Irons
Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
OnCore ELIXR / Srixon Q-Star Divide Golf Ball
Cart-Tek 1500li Remote Cart

PrecisionPro NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado // Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

2 hours ago, I_HATE_SNOW said:

Curious on what the rates are?  Can't find them on the website.  Buddy's neighbor is a member and he said about $200?  Twice what I'd pay.

That's likely the public rate with cart. In season this year when I played with a member it was $120 to walk, think maybe $140 or 145 with cart. The person I play with who is a member said he thought it was $80 to walk now when it is out of season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dancin said:

That's likely the public rate with cart. In season this year when I played with a member it was $120 to walk, think maybe $140 or 145 with cart. The person I play with who is a member said he thought it was $80 to walk now when it is out of season.

Let's assume for a moment that as member of the club, I know exactly what the Summer and Winter rates are.

I play there every week and bring guests there on a regular basis.

The walking rate, during the Summer for guests is $68.  But, as a full-member, my guests play for $60 and includes a cart.

That's the same rate I posted above.

As you can see from the attached picture - the Winter rate for civilian guests is $40 to walk, $55 to ride.

-- P.J.

2021-WinterRates.jpg

• Like 2

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

38 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Not sure why you paid that?!?  During the Summer, civilian guests pay $68 to walk + optional $16 for a cart = $84. 

But again, if you're playing with a full-member (there are 3 different levels of membership), then as their guest - the Summer civilian rate is $60 with a cart.

-- P.J.

• Like 1

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

49 minutes ago, golf4pj said:

Not sure why you paid that?!?  During the Summer, civilian guests pay $68 to walk + optional $16 for a cart = $84. 

But again, if you're playing with a full-member (there are 3 different levels of membership), then as their guest - the Summer civilian rate is $60 with a cart.

-- P.J.

We were discussing TPC Colorado, not Eisenhower

A

1 minute ago, Dancin said:

We were discussing TPC Colorado, not Eisenhower

Ahhh...gotcha.  Makes more sense.  Sorry, I crossed the streams. 🙆‍♂️

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter

SkyTrak Launch Monitor

3 hours ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Sine I only walk on occasion, and when I do it’s on very easy to walk course, how is TPC to walk?

It seemed like it was pretty long with some pretty good hills (noticing from the cart of course😀)

The hills aren't bad but the length of the course and having to walk past the back tees and the long transitions make it a little tough. I'd say it's the equivalent of walking 2 extra holes on a regular course.

Do they let you walk TPC now? Pre Covid I thought you had to take a cart. During Covid I think they let people walk due to not wanting people to share carts. Maybe that change stuck but I know when they first opened it was required to take a cart. 

Agree with Dancin though, when I did walk it the elevation isn’t bad but there’s some long stretches between holes in addition to some of the holes just being long. 

3 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

Do they let you walk TPC now? Pre Covid I thought you had to take a cart. During Covid I think they let people walk due to not wanting people to share carts. Maybe that change stuck but I know when they first opened it was required to take a cart. 

Agree with Dancin though, when I did walk it the elevation isn’t bad but there’s some long stretches between holes in addition to some of the holes just being long. 

I've walked it every time I played, but I always play with a member. They might make the public take a cart.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, golf4pj said:

Alright boys - for those of you interested in playing Eisenhower Golf Club at the Air Force Academy...

I'm playing the Silver course (which is the 'Mountain' course) on Black Friday, November 26th, 2021 @ 10:25am.

I haven't asked anyone else yet - so I'll hold open some spots if some of the Colorado WRX crew wants in.

They've gone to 'winter rates', so it's $40 to walk (I usually do) or $55 with a cart.

Send me a private message if you're interested.

-- P.J.

If you were playing the blue course I would definitely try to make it. I think the blue is one of the best in the state but I'm not a fan of the silver.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dancin said:

My buddy who is also a member said about the same thing for winter rates. I think it's more if you just cold call for a time, and I think I read that they only open up times 24 hrs in advance to non-members who aren't playing with a member, and I think the "public" rate may still be over $100 in winter. Worth a call in if you haven't played it. Personally, I really like the course but having played it a bunch of times, I wouldn't spend over $125

Edited by stoneydukes

7 hours ago, Joelness said:

If you were playing the blue course I would definitely try to make it. I think the blue is one of the best in the state but I'm not a fan of the silver.

I love both courses, but they're much different from each other.  Greens are difficult on both courses, but a lot of people prefer Blue over Silver.

The Blue is a Robert Trent Jones designed course, the greens are incredibly challenging and it's an annual host of NCAA golf tournaments, US Open qualifier, Colorado PGA Championship and many more.

The Silver course is a 'mountain course' with tighter fairways and requires more accuracy off the tee.  If you struggle with that, I can understand why you prefer one over the other.  In my opinion, the Silver course has much more interesting holes on it and you don't just automatically grab the driver and bomb away.  It requires some thought...

My favorite hole on the Silver course is the Z-shaped fairway of # 12.  You tee off at the top of the picture, it starts to turn hard left about 210 yards out, then another 175-200 yards down the fairway and a hard right turn back up into the mountain to an elevated green.  Fantastic hole! 

The other hole pictured is #1 - starting on an elevated tee box, on the side of a mountain - the fairway and green slopes right to left, away from the mountain.

Here's a course bio:

The Silver course first opened for play in 1975. The course was designed by Frank Hummel, who designed over 20 outstanding courses in the mountain west states. Widely regarded as the more scenic course of the two, the silver is a demanding golf course with a premium placed on accuracy rather than length. The course measures 6,519 yards from the championship tees and 5,215 from the forward tee. You will use every club in your bag on this great course. You won’t see a house on either course, just pure golf.

The Silver gives golfers great views of the Rockies as well as the famed Air Force Academy where each year, up to a thousand young men and women graduate to become officers in the United States Air Force.
Like the Blue course, the greens are where your score is made or lost each hole has gravity defying putts, but the birdies are out there if you play it smart. Risk reward best defines the Silver.

In 2021, the Silver will play host to its first ever Division 1 collegiate tournament.
Regardless of which course you play, your experience will be unique, between the beauty and the courses, you can’t go wrong.

-- P.J.

Silver-12.jpg

Silver-1.png

• Like 3

Cleveland CBX-2 Wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter