2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Colorado WRX 2021

pseudoswede

I think part of the difference is some courses make you get personalized balls or at least charge you for personalized, whether you use it or not.  Standard ProV is $50, custom number is $1, up to 3 lines of text is $6, which is how I think some places get to that $57 price range. Who knows.  

@Dancin which courses are doing that deal?  I'd consider buying from a course that did that deal.  

Speaking of golf balls, I went to a simulator to do some testing and comparisons to try to figure out which ball I want to play this year.  Forgot to save and send my self the report after hitting all the shots 🤦‍♂️  Now I can't swing the clubs for a few weeks due to a minor procedure on my shoulder.  Hopefully I can get another round of testing in before April 18 when these deals go away.  Trying to decide between the ProV (current ball), left dash Vx, regular Vx, and the Tour B X.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ASak10 said:

I think part of the difference is some courses make you get personalized balls or at least charge you for personalized, whether you use it or not.  Standard ProV is $50, custom number is $1, up to 3 lines of text is $6, which is how I think some places get to that $57 price range. Who knows.  

@Dancin which courses are doing that deal?  I'd consider buying from a course that did that deal.  

These spring 4 for 3 deals all include personalization because that is what the manufacturers offer as part of the deal. Walnut and Legacy Ridge offer the free round as part of any purchase over $100.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dancin said:

These spring 4 for 3 deals all include personalization because that is what the manufacturers offer as part of the deal. Walnut and Legacy Ridge offer the free round as part of any purchase over $100.

Yeah I know the personalization is an option, but through Titleist directly at least you can just do the deal with stock balls for the $50 per box.  So with shipping and tax probably gets them down to $40 a box or so?  

Had an amazing ski day at Keystone on Thursday. I'm now ready for the snow to go away.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

4 Mile Ranch this weekend was in decent shape. Greens were slow with a few bumps but overall not bad.  Fairways are in pretty good shape, few patches but not many.  Wind picked up and got a bit cold on the last 4-5 holes.   I forgot how many blind shots there LOL

I don't recall when they did it (?) but every trap is shale rock, or seemed to be all of them.  Thought last time I went some were still sand?  Needless to say it created a couple of interesting situations. 

One player hit a perfect drive and it rolled in and stuck in the shale. No clue on the local rule so we just let him drop with no penalty. We assume that would be the rule?  *Not hitting my irons out of it as some of the rocks are like 4" -6" in size, not talking small rocks by any means.

Second time (different player)  hit a perfect drive, but the wind carried it about 30 yards longer then normal  and it bounced off the rocks and out into a canyon / tree area. Yea he was real happy... 😃   Lost his ball, playing 6-6-6 and a 4 way skins game with carry overs, that did not go over well.   We let him drop by the trap.

IF someone tells you the bunkers are "penal" at 4MR.... they mean it LOL

Still fun to play.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CDM said:

4 Mile Ranch this weekend was in decent shape. Greens were slow with a few bumps but overall not bad.  Fairways are in pretty good shape, few patches but not many.  Wind picked up and got a bit cold on the last 4-5 holes.   I forgot how many blind shots there LOL

I don't recall when they did it (?) but every trap is shale rock, or seemed to be all of them.  Thought last time I went some were still sand?  Needless to say it created a couple of interesting situations. 

One player hit a perfect drive and it rolled in and stuck in the shale. No clue on the local rule so we just let him drop with no penalty. We assume that would be the rule?  *Not hitting my irons out of it as some of the rocks are like 4" -6" in size, not talking small rocks by any means.

Second time (different player)  hit a perfect drive, but the wind carried it about 30 yards longer then normal  and it bounced off the rocks and out into a canyon / tree area. Yea he was real happy... 😃   Lost his ball, playing 6-6-6 and a 4 way skins game with carry overs, that did not go over well.   We let him drop by the trap.

IF someone tells you the bunkers are "penal" at 4MR.... they mean it LOL

Still fun to play.

The bunkers were always that way. No sand bunkers was part of the design.

8 minutes ago, ALi3 said:

Are those pallets in the bunkers? Never seen that before.

Landscape in the other pictures does look amazing. Looks somewhat similar to some Nebraska courses where it feel like you're miles from anything.

Definitely a bucket list course!

They put wooden pallets in among other things to try and stop the sand from blowing out in winter.

7 hours ago, jacobEDGE said:

Had a blast on Saturday. What an absolutely stunning course. Playing out there regularly would really force you to learn how to hit some stingers (something that is lost on me). Thanks again @Dancin

IMG_5381.jpg.5facedb14b6529e2ddba41ee1b7d22c0.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg.b30e9611dcb5ffcde071c15302c37fa9.jpg

IMG_5364.jpg.758584aa85bd86717205e9a1910a78cb.jpg

man, looks absolutely gorgeous out there. 😍 thank you for sharing! 

Nice. Sagebrush may finally reopen in July. Just have to hope Canada drops their restrictions this year (inner voice tells me good luck with that).

Don't know about Sagebrush? It was the 10th best course in Canada 7 years ago (and moving up as more raters got to play it) before financial issues, lawsuits and multiple owner changes during which it would occasionally tease about a reopening but continued to be shut down. Links golf with a Ballyneal vibe (although it's pretty much a cart ball course due to lots of long transitions and steep inclines) and firm, fast fairways, but in the mountains 3.5 hours east of Vancouver next to a lake. I can't find it now but there was a video a long time ago of a guy putting onto a green from about 200 yards out in the fairway with the lake in the background.

http://britishcolumbiagolf.org/uncategorized/4638-sagebrush-gets-a-new-lease-on-life?highlight=WyJzYWdlYnJ1c2giLCJzYWdlYnJ1c2gncyJd

unnamed.png

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Dancin said:

Nice. Sagebrush may finally reopen in July. Just have to hope Canada drops their restrictions this year (inner voice tells me good luck with that).

Don't know about Sagebrush? It was the 10th best course in Canada 7 years ago (and moving up as more raters got to play it) before financial issues, lawsuits and multiple owner changes during which it would occasionally tease about a reopening but continued to be shut down. Links golf with a Ballyneal vibe (although it's pretty much a cart ball course due to lots of long transitions and steep inclines) and firm, fast fairways, but in the mountains 3.5 hours east of Vancouver next to a lake. I can't find it now but there was a video a long time ago of a guy putting onto a green from about 200 yards out in the fairway with the lake in the background.

http://britishcolumbiagolf.org/uncategorized/4638-sagebrush-gets-a-new-lease-on-life?highlight=WyJzYWdlYnJ1c2giLCJzYWdlYnJ1c2gncyJd

unnamed.png

Sure post another sweet course that is outside my "drive" radius  😃 

Edit:  Googled the location. Google earth the course still looks active and the layout looks sweet.  Having spent some time in that area years back, fishing not golfing. There seems to be  alot of great courses in that area now or within an hour or so each way.. Lets hope Canada drops the covid restrictions but agree they probably will not.

Edited by CDM

Took this coming Monday 3/29 off due to stacking up too much PTO. Hoping to get out and play if the snow melts enough. Looks like further North is going to be a better bet. I've never played Legacy Ridge so I'm going to give it a shot. Not sure if it's considered worthy of taking a day off work to play though, but I guess we'll see. Anyone else happen to have Mondays off and want to play too? 

• Like 1

Hola! Apparently I haven't logged on in 2021, so I'm a bit behind! I'm caught up now though!

• What are you looking to improve with your game this year?
    • Last year, I finished with a 7.1 handicap. This year, I'd like to get down below a 5.
      • I drunkenly purchased a 10-pack of GolfTec lessons last year at a charity tournament, so I started using those every other week beginning in November - I have a couple left. I haven't really had a chance to practice until recently though since we were doing a bunch of renovations. I did a lot of practice or phantom swings in my house during that time, which I think helped. Overall, my swing has improved, and I'm certainly hitting the ball further because of it, I just need to get more consistent. 
      • To help with my goals, I purchased a 3-month membership a few weeks ago at D'Lance so I can get my distances dialed in using their Trackman's. I really wanted to get my 1/4, 1/2 and full wedge swings nailed, but found that getting a repeatable, consistent 1/4 swing is much harder than I thought. Thus far, I've done pretty well getting my distances dialed with partial wedge shots from 50-90yds.
      • Once the weather gets nicer, I plan on spending a few lunch hours each week working on my putting.
      • If I can hit a couple more greens, and eliminate a couple more putts per round, I may have a chance this season!
  • Do you plan on joining a club or league this year?
    • I joined South Suburban's Men's Club this year since it's super close to me. It's supposed to be pretty competitive, which I (think I) want this year. Hopefully there aren't too many d!cks tho lol. Also, my goal of getting my handicap below a 5 might have been sabotaged by me joining men's club there since a few of their greens are flat out dumb!
  • Any fun golf trips planned?
    • Trip to Northern Michigan with a group of 20 to play 90 holes over three days. Playing Forest Dunes main course on day 1 for 18, then 72 holes at Garland over the next two days. They have four courses there. It's an annual trip my cousin plans, and is a ton of fun. Ryder cup format for the last two days with prize money and bunch of side gambling
      • We played the Loop last year at Forest Dunes which was super cool. It's a reversible 18 hole course. Pretty wild. I did a double take when I was teeing off and there was a bunker 15 yards in front of me - it comes into play when you go in the other direction
    • Trip to Hilton Head for my buddies bachelor party. Not sure if any courses have been booked yet though.

For you Valley CC guys, I know Steve O'Brien left GVR a couple years ago to join Valley - is he still there? If he is, tell him Tim says hi if you see him. Super awesome guy.

Funny that so many people got fit by Mitch at Club Champion too. I got fit by him when they first opened, which has been 5 years now, surprisingly. D'Lance also does good work. I'm actually considering getting fit for a driver there again. My current gamer has a bit too much spin now and the dynamic launch angle is a bit higher than I'd like. I feel like I'm giving up 15+ yards. 

There was a kid there yesterday, probably 20 years old or so, getting fit for a new driver and 3w, with a driver swing speed of 120mph, and a really nice swing too. It was cool to see that since you don't see that often at all. He hit 170mph+ ball speed (I think it was 173mph) with a 3w! Most I've topped out at is 162mph...and that was with my driver lol. 

Hope everyone is doing well. Cheers!

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

56 minutes ago, GolfBall_Whacker_Guy said:

Hey all, have any Denver area courses been able to reopen? 

Welcome to WRX and the Colorado thread!

It's a definite no on the south side of town (having driven by Meridian, South Suburban, Family Sports*, and The Links recently), but I think most courses in the area will be ready to play by Saturday. My guess is that if you venture towards the Springs, you'll see more courses open right now.

* - the range was PACKED on Monday evening

5 hours ago, ALi3 said:

Took this coming Monday 3/29 off due to stacking up too much PTO. Hoping to get out and play if the snow melts enough. Looks like further North is going to be a better bet. I've never played Legacy Ridge so I'm going to give it a shot. Not sure if it's considered worthy of taking a day off work to play though, but I guess we'll see. Anyone else happen to have Mondays off and want to play too? 

I played Legacy Ridge for the first time last year, and it was a nice course. Hopefully the weather next Monday will be like it's supposed to this upcoming Monday (sunny and 72°).

Just remembered this...

Gents, if anyone hears of a scramble tournament coming up, please post it in this thread.

Dangle and Celly Golf Tournament Fundraiser at Lone Tree Golf Course on July 23, 2021

Benefits Arapahoe Youth Hockey

No other details at the moment.

6 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Just remembered this...

Gents, if anyone hears of a scramble tournament coming up, please post it in this thread.

Dangle and Celly Golf Tournament Fundraiser at Lone Tree Golf Course on July 23, 2021

Benefits Arapahoe Youth Hockey

No other details at the moment.

Keep me posted on this one if you want to pull together a team. 

There is a great one I'm playing in August at Inverness to benefit first responders. A bit pricey but you walk away with good shwag and free booze lol. Not sure if it's been officially announced yet, but I'll see if I can get more details, otherwise I'll post them when I get more info. 

• Like 1

Edel E-1

7 hours ago, thaar said:

I really do want to field a team, but I'm returning from a massive trip (four weeks in Sweden, then four days in Baltimore for a wedding) a few days earlier, and, against my better judgement, my wife and I are going to downtown that night to see a stand-up comedian at the Paramount.

8 hours ago, thaar said:

There is a great one I'm playing in August at Inverness to benefit first responders. A bit pricey but you walk away with good shwag and free booze lol. Not sure if it's been officially announced yet, but I'll see if I can get more details, otherwise I'll post them when I get more info. 

It doesn't look like sign-ups are available yet, but the tournament is August 9th. I think last year it was $225, and included your round of golf at Inverness, free beer and seltzers (they threw a bunch in people's carts and had a cart girl as well), and a solid shwag bag which included a Yeti tumbler with lid, a Titleist toiletry bag, half-dozen pro-v1's, a nice hat, and some other things. They also had Rocker Whiskey as a sponsor handing out shots at the turn. 

Like I said, it's a bit pricey, but it's for a good cause and they take care of their participants. The event was run pretty well, and the organizer of the event is a great guy. 

https://www.onegoat.org/

• Like 2

Edel E-1

Well, I got fitted at True Spec yesterday and loved the experience. Didn’t hit premium balls but overall it was eye opening. I knew I was over spinning my current gamer and ball speed was down. Anyway, long story short I have a new driver on the way! I didn’t necessarily want one on the way but the consistency of the TSi4 was incredible. Got to hit All the brands but after I hit the TSi4, I literally would hit two to three drives with other heads and we knew I was wasting my time lol. Also ended up in their shaft made by graphite design. Pretty cool they have a shaft made for them by GD. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, irvtrain said:

Well, I got fitted at True Spec yesterday and loved the experience. Didn’t hit premium balls but overall it was eye opening. I knew I was over spinning my current gamer and ball speed was down. Anyway, long story short I have a new driver on the way! I didn’t necessarily want one on the way but the consistency of the TSi4 was incredible. Got to hit All the brands but after I hit the TSi4, I literally would hit two to three drives with other heads and we knew I was wasting my time lol. Also ended up in their shaft made by graphite design. Pretty cool they have a shaft made for them by GD. 

do yourself a favor and go back in there with your balls after you get the driver and double-check the numbers. don't use other balls when making equipment decisions. use the same balls you game.

also, i would have a very difficult time trusting a clubfitter who sold me equipment using non-premium balls during the fitting. like i would not trust them. at all.

maybe i'm being overly critical here but this just doesn't seem right based on my experience. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, irvtrain said:

Congrats!!  The TSi4 I hear is a spin killer.  The TSG shaft you picked, as I understand in talking with them and reading a ton of forums is actually a standard GD shaft but rebadged for them, but cheaper in cost(?). No difference in specs what so ever.  They will tell you what shaft it is if you ask incase you have one already or want to order it separate. 

Love the feel of the GD shafts.  I have a Tour AD DI 6x that I switch around in my TS3.  Been playing the Tensi Blue more lately though.  

Edit: Tuesday morning will compare the new TSi line to my TS3..... hoping there is NOT a big difference. IT would tempt me to order .............LOL

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

Wife and I will be in Arvada tomorrow between hockey games. Does anyone know if the range at Westwoods, Indian Tree, or Applewood are open?

Edited by pseudoswede

21 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

do yourself a favor and go back in there with your balls after you get the driver and double-check the numbers. don't use other balls when making equipment decisions. use the same balls you game.

also, i would have a very difficult time trusting a clubfitter who sold me equipment using non-premium balls during the fitting. like i would not trust them. at all.

maybe i'm being overly critical here but this just doesn't seem right based on my experience. 

I would agree to an extent. The big thing was hitting my driver first. We saw exactly what I was seeing on trackman indoors. So I felt comfortable with the numbers I was seeing with other drivers etc. along with the ball flight. The only place to hit premium balls that I know of, is with the Titleist rep. They’re not doing fittings until late April. I didn’t want to wait because I want a driver in hand to start the tournament season. I’ll probably do a fitting with Titleist to find a fairway wood or driving iron and verify then. 

• Like 3