Modified Senior Tees

My friend and I started playing senior tees last year, and it got boring vey quick. We both can hit right at 200 yards and more, so we were left with 100 yard shots into greens, and it got old quick. So I proposed to him that we only play senior tees if it is longer than par 3@ 160, par 4 @360, and par 5 @460. We found out that most white tee boxes were good to go and only needed the senior tees like 4 times over 18 holes. This made the game so much better, and the challenge came back. We both agreed this will be our format for the time being. Never knew how much I missed the tougher shots!! 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Where I have played 99% of my golf for the last three years there are two holes from the white tees that are really a bear, the par 4 8th at 406 which is into the wind if it is from the North (prevailing in the winter), and the other is the par 4 15th at 422 which is into the wind if it is from the South (prevailing in the summer). On top of that, the 406 yard hole has "new" green that is hard as a rock and can't be held with even a wedge much less trying to come in with anything longer. You also can't run the ball up, at least in the mornings when we play, as the green is raised and slopes from back to front making any ball that lands just short basically "plug" due to all the water they put on it trying to soften it up. Occasionally, we have move back to the Tips on the 15th and played it as a par 5, then moved up to the senior tees on the par 5 17th and played it as a par 4. Playing the same course 5 days per week, year 'round (weather permitting), it also adds a welcome change once in a while.

We typically move up to the senior tees on those two holes ( 8 and 15) and we move back to the blue tees on the short, 291 yard 10th to the keep the overall yardage we play within 100 yards of the rated yardage from the whites. Also, on those few occasions we play the senior tees to be sociable or due to weather conditions, we always play the par 3's from the whites.

• Like 1

Pulled out the score cards and started checking yardage to see how many holes will be senior. One course was only 3 out of 18, another was 7 out of 18, and two others were 8 out of 18. I will just circle the long ones on the score card,  and play them forward.  

Bag is in overhaul mode

49 minutes ago, platgof said:

Pulled out the score cards and started checking yardage to see how many holes will be senior. One course was only 3 out of 18, another was 7 out of 18, and two others were 8 out of 18. I will just circle the long ones on the score card,  and play them forward.  

I like your idea. I play from the senior tees. Most of the courses I play the senior tees are laid out good. They are very challenging with maybe a couple of shorter holes thrown in for fun.

There are two courses I play I have mentioned to my playing partners that the senior tees are not laid out very well. When we play the senior tees at these courses overall the holes are to short. When we play the whites many of the holes are to long.

An example at the one course. A dog leg par five. From the whites I can hit driver, 4w and have a mid iron shot to the green. When we play the senior tee on that hole I hit driver and usually have 160 or less to the hole for my second shot. To me that plays like a par 4 now. 

This is a good idea that I'm going to use especially at that course. 

13 hours ago, DrDon said:

The USGA provides guidelines for adjusting the course rating and slope based on modifications to the golf course.  

For example, if you move up from say the white tees, and played shorter yardages on 2 different holes, then you'd modify the course rating and slope of the white tees based on the combined yardage difference on the 2 holes.   If the combined yardage differences is, for example 100 yards, then you would subtract 0.5 from the course rating and subtract 1 from the slope.   The specific numerical guidelines are provided in a table in Appendix G of the USGA's World Handicap System publication.

It's called cheating. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

It's called cheating. 

As opposed to when the tees are moved up to speed up play but you still are expected to post your score from the color tees you played? That would be cheating yourself. Aka creating a vanity cap.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

As opposed to when the tees are moved up to speed up play but you still are expected to post your score from the color tees you played? That would be cheating yourself. Aka creating a vanity cap.

You can't jump around "at will" and make claims it's a legit round.   

• Like 1

I am 70 years old and haven't played the Senior tees yet.  Normally I opt for 6200-6600 yardages.  The faster the course plays the more likely I will choose longer yardages.  However, once to twice a month I play a few short courses under 5700yds with the wife and a few older friends, but only use irons.

Thankfully, I still hit the ball pretty good, so the challenge still tickles my fancy.  I'd rather hit a long iron or mid iron into the green as opposed to short iron.  Not sure how long that's going to last, though.  Damn, I love this game.

PS: If people want to hop around to different tees, fine.  As long as they are not affecting the field's pace of play, people shouldn't care.  Oh, and ignore those negative Nancy's that see nothing but cheating.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 3
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

57 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I am 70 years old and haven't played the Senior tees yet.  Normally I opt for 6200-6600 yardages.  The faster the course plays the more likely I will choose longer yardages.  However, once to twice a month I play a few short courses under 5700yds with the wife and a few older friends, but only use irons.

Thankfully, I still hit the ball pretty good, so the challenge still tickles my fancy.  I'd rather hit a long iron or mid iron into the green as opposed to short iron.  Not sure how long that's going to last, though.  Damn, I love this game.

PS: If people want to hop around to different tees, fine.  As long as they are not affecting the field's pace of play, people shouldn't care.  Oh, and ignore those negative Nancy's that see nothing but cheating.

Pep, you're 70?!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I play 50 % of my games from the blues at my club (6500).

20% from whites and 30% a composite of blue/white.

For instance, on 1 nine (there are 3 nine) I alternate b/w, b/w all the way round.

Another is w/b all the way. A third is a bit more scattered, but still consistent.

The combo is by far the most enjoyable and satisfying. However playing the blue only is very challenging which most days is also very enjoyable.

Hey, its golf, it is all happy dance!

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, tbowles411 said:

Pep, you're 70?!

Yep.  Based on my lifestyle, lots of people don't buy it.  I am regularly told I look 50ish.  Outstanding genes I suppose, or it's a lifetime of athletics, and working out.  It's surely not my eating habits... LOL

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Our home course is a bit strange from the Senior/Silver tees. They are sometimes less than helpful.

First hole has a deep gorge that starts about 150 yards from the green, 300 yards long in all from Silver. Problem is, a hybrid from the 350-yd. White tees is more likely to settle smoothly into the fairway, as a Silver short iron gets hung up in the crosswind.

No. 3 is a 270-yd. "risk-reward" hole across a deep gorge with OB left and hazard right. Problem: the Silver tees are fairly low, and you can't see the landing area from the tee. You can see landing quite easily from the White tees.

No. 7 is 300 yards long, but a hot driver can leave you with a sidehill lie, 70 yards out trying to cross a giant bunker that fronts the very shallow green. Safest thing to do is play a hybrid or iron to 120 yards out, and hit a full 9i with spin off a level fairway spot.

No. 16 is another shortie, and the fairway between the OB left and water hazard right narrows to about 10 yards wide. From the Silvers, you need lay-up iron.

No. 18 is 320 yards from Silvers, and goes uphill all the way. But, the White tee is longer but about 15 feet higher than the Silvers. You can fly it further up fairway from Whites than Silvers, due to higher starting point.

Finally, I only score about two strokes better from the Silvers than the Whites. You get a lousy differential score from Silvers unless you shoot in mid-80s, and non-Seniors accuse us of "sandbagging" because our HDCPs are so high.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

28 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

Do you get to move up to the ladies tees if a senior tee par 4 is over 360?

dave

Someone is being a smart a.. and doing a poor job at it. All the yardage books I looked at had over 360 yards as par 5's from the red tees! Obviously you did little research if any, on this subject.  Right now I am fine with just white and senior tees, for now. Who knows, if physical problems get worse, I may mix gold and red, not yet. 

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 1/5/2021 at 10:25 AM, Ferguson said:

You can't jump around "at will" and make claims it's a legit round.   

I could care less, I am just playing for fun. If I play in a tournament, can I do this, no. I will just play all gold tees and make it easier on myself, so I am not cheating! Right now the problems are so many long shots because of my driver length, but it is cold weather and golf balls, and soggy fairways to boot, so there is that. 

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

What the hell is going on here???? Ladies tees is a label and not a description and is totally consistent with the use of 'senior tees'. It does not imply who should play them and there is zero reason to believe that I implied otherwise - my Dad played the ladies tees (red tees, forward tees, shortest tees, I don't care) the last 3 years of his life and I played there with him when I visited. And I was happy to do it. 

And what does the par of a ladies/red/whatever tee at 360 yards have to do with this topic?

dave

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, platgof said:

You brought it up, right? 

No - I did not raise the issue of the proper labeling of tees. No, I did not raise the issue of the proper par for a 360 yard hole from the 'more forward than senior' tees. No, I did not raise the issue of where to play (I asked for a clarification). 

dave

• Thanks 1

I took a look at the four courses that I play most often from the perspective of  a 'Modified/Modified Senior Tees Rule'. This rule says  start on the middle tees and on par 4's keep moving up until you are under 360 yards. On par 3's keep moving up until you are under 160 yards. I don't know where that point would be on the par 5's, but I don't see that as applicable across these four courses where the longest middle tee par 5 is 515 which seems like an OK senior tee par 5 to me (at least on that hole).

Across those four courses you would move up from the green tees on 5 of the par 4's. Interestingly, on one of them you would still be playing from 385 yards from the set forward of the senior tees (it is still a par 4) so you would move up to 262. On this course there is one MORE set of even more forward tees (folks at our club often refer to these as the 'senior ladies tees').

There were 2 par 3's across those 4 courses that would move you up past the senior tees. 

dave 

• Like 1

I say play whatever tees make the game the most fun for you.  I'm 60, and while I don't hit the ball particularly far (a 225 yard drive is a good one for me), I'd always rather play the whites than golds (assuming most courses have blue, white, gold, and red).  I'm often 200 or so yards out on my second shot, but that's what the longer clubs are for.  I like having to try to get a 3 hybrid on the green.  I do play golds at times with a group of older guys I play with, and that is fun as well, and honestly, I can't say I score much differently either way since I very rarely have a green-in-regulation regardless.  I guess I play golf mostly for the exercise and because "it feels good when it stops", and I just get more satisfaction playing from tees further back when I do have a decent round.  I don't suspect I'll move up until I can barely reach the gold tees from the whites.

8 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I took a look at the four courses that I play most often from the perspective of  a 'Modified/Modified Senior Tees Rule'. This rule says  start on the middle tees and on par 4's keep moving up until you are under 360 yards. On par 3's keep moving up until you are under 160 yards. I don't know where that point would be on the par 5's, but I don't see that as applicable across these four courses where the longest middle tee par 5 is 515 which seems like an OK senior tee par 5 to me (at least on that hole).

Across those four courses you would move up from the green tees on 5 of the par 4's. Interestingly, on one of them you would still be playing from 385 yards from the set forward of the senior tees (it is still a par 4) so you would move up to 262. On this course there is one MORE set of even more forward tees (folks at our club often refer to these as the 'senior ladies tees').

There were 2 par 3's across those 4 courses that would move you up past the senior tees. 

dave 

What courses do you play in North Carolina? I might get to play in a couple of weeks there. I play par 5's at 460 or less if I can.

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

7 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

I say play whatever tees make the game the most fun for you.  I'm 60, and while I don't hit the ball particularly far (a 225 yard drive is a good one for me), I'd always rather play the whites than golds (assuming most courses have blue, white, gold, and red).  I'm often 200 or so yards out on my second shot, but that's what the longer clubs are for.  I like having to try to get a 3 hybrid on the green.  I do play golds at times with a group of older guys I play with, and that is fun as well, and honestly, I can't say I score much differently either way since I very rarely have a green-in-regulation regardless.  I guess I play golf mostly for the exercise and because "it feels good when it stops", and I just get more satisfaction playing from tees further back when I do have a decent round.  I don't suspect I'll move up until I can barely reach the gold tees from the whites.

Hitting long clubs all day gets old quick for me. Even the pros don't do that. Unfortunately that is the length of some courses. I would like something that "goes through the bag!" 

Bag is in overhaul mode

2 hours ago, platgof said:

What courses do you play in North Carolina? I might get to play in a couple of weeks there. I play par 5's at 460 or less if I can.

I play mostly at Pinehurst Resort and CC. If you are just traveling in and not wanting to drop a bunch of money at Pinehurst Resort, I am familiar with the following what I would call good/playable, but not top shelf, courses. 

2 courses at Foxfire 

2 courses at Whispering Pines

Deercroft (which is a half hour south but is an interesting layout) 

Southern Pines Golf Club (a really good example of a Donald Ross design)

The following are more high end and quite nice (and I assume more expensive) 

Talamore, Pinewild, Mid-Pines, Pine Needles

The only course that I have played and would suggest you avoid is Whispering Woods. Beacon Ridge is OK but has had conditioning problems off and on. Been a few years since I have played that one.

Weather can be good or it can be cold, but we consider golf a 12 month a year sport around here (we post all year, for example)

dave