PXG Irons First Round

Played my first round with the PXG Gen2 irons, and the course was a muddy field, so not really a fair comparison just yet. I like the soft feel, but was hoping for more distance. I need to wait for a final call, and it was 37*F today, and misty all day, yuk. I did hit the 6 iron and was impressed, but the mud would not let the clubs release properly. They are very accurate clubs, and I hit the pin on one hole. I can't wait for warmer weather and give them a real try  out. The A wedge was a blast and could easily be my most used club, as it was today for pitch shots. Do I like them, yes. Waiting for warmer weather for a real workout. They do look sharp, beautiful clubs! Shot 91 in that weather, not complaining at all, especially with all the layers on. Very difficult to rotate properly. C'mon warmer weather, let the fun begin.

• Like 4

Ping G Max 10.5

Epic Max 5 wd

Cobra F9 7 wood

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hybrid

PXG Gen2 XF 6-aw

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 34

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Played my first round with the PXG Gen2 irons, and the course was a muddy field, so not really a fair comparison just yet. I like the soft feel, but was hoping for more distance. I need to wait for a

That happens in golf. Cold air is denser and ball don't go far. Warm = ball go far. 

Judging by this thread alone, this doesnt seem like a reliable time of year for you to track data/make bag selections. The PXGs may be great or horrible for you (same goes for the Epics or the Cobras)

Posted Images

Been playing them since the day they came out.

AWESOME IRONS!!!!!

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim 2 - 9* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️w/JUMBOMAX 17" FLAT
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

It really sucked not being able to play them on a decent surface, and a mud field instead. That mud has some serious suction going on, and 37*F did not help at all. Still, the a wedge was doing it's job just fine along with the putter. 

Ping G Max 10.5

Epic Max 5 wd

Cobra F9 7 wood

PXG Gen2 XF 6-aw

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 34

Played a round today, just 15 holes, and did much better with them. these are really soft irons. The 7 iron is sneaky long. When I though I was on the front of the green, I was actually in the back near the pin and parred this hole twice. The A wedge is my best pal as I really like this club, as so glad I got it. Still haven't given them a proper test as it was 45*F and windy, miserable. The irons were petty good, but the rest of the clubs were pull hooks, horrible. 

Ping G Max 10.5

Epic Max 5 wd

Cobra F9 7 wood

PXG Gen2 XF 6-aw

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 34

12 hours ago, platgof said:

Played a round today, just 15 holes, and did much better with them. these are really soft irons. The 7 iron is sneaky long. When I though I was on the front of the green, I was actually in the back near the pin and parred this hole twice. The A wedge is my best pal as I really like this club, as so glad I got it. Still haven't given them a proper test as it was 45*F and windy, miserable. The irons were petty good, but the rest of the clubs were pull hooks, horrible. 

I'm with you on the conditions.  I took out my Gen1 0311 irons last weekend here in NJ--cold and wet, but getting out for winter golf is better than sitting around doing nothing IMHO. 

Have you said what line you have, T, P or XF?  I tried out the XF, which were nice, but a bit too large for my liking.  I think I would have been better off with the P, which are still generally very forgiving.  I love my OG 0311 irons with Nippon 950 stiff shafts that I picked up used, and to be honest, they are bigger heads than many comparable players irons like the Callaway Apex '19, so still forgiving.

Callaway Epic Max 9* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 665 Evo II TS R
Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M4
Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 Hybrid, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
Titleist T300 Irons 5-GW, Kuro Kage 105 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 BS SW (54*/14F) and LW (58*/12D), DG Wedge
Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have noticed that the colder the weather, the shorter these irons go! I think the foam inside is temperature sensitive? With the cold weather I decided to brave the elements, and the irons were shorter. Now I know there are other factors involved, but  they seem shorter when it is cold outside. I hope this is the case when it warms up and they go longer. 

Ping G Max 10.5

Epic Max 5 wd

Cobra F9 7 wood

PXG Gen2 XF 6-aw

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 34

10 minutes ago, platgof said:

I seem to have noticed that the colder the weather, the shorter these irons go! I think the foam inside is temperature sensitive? With the cold weather I decided to brave the elements, and the irons were shorter. Now I know there are other factors involved, but  they seem shorter when it is cold outside. I hope this is the case when it warms up and they go longer. 

I mentioned this in the 0211 thread. I think it is the case. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63. [Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"]

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

42 minutes ago, platgof said:

That happens in golf. Cold air is denser and ball don't go far. Warm = ball go far. 

• Like 4

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ Tour Issue 5w 17* Tour AD TP 8x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F, 56M, SM4 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Ping Hoofer

42 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

This is what I keep telling myself.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

51 minutes ago, platgof said:

I guess I will relabel my PXG irons, "60* F plus!"

Same goes for my J15CB or my Z785.... Colder, denser air is killer on the ball's performance.  We play Friday morning here in SoCal and when we tee off this time of year, it's 40*.  There is a noticeable difference on the back 9 where its about 20* warmer.  Ball goes farther, greens roll faster.  I wouldn't' overthink it.

That said, I like to hear about these being soft.  There has been talk of them being the most firm of the first 3 generations and I played the 1st Gen, thought they felt nice.  With the price of the Gen 2 right now, I am interested.  Thanks for the reviews and definitely check back when you get in some warmer weather.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Ping G425 Max 14.5* Alta CB 65x

Ping G410 22* Tensei Blue 80s

Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.5

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52, 56, 60 AWT 

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne stealth

14 hours ago, platgof said:

I guess I will relabel my PXG irons, "60* F plus!"

Looks like I'm going to have to wait a few months for 60F weather unfortunately. Didn't really want to wait till spring to hit a few balls with my new to me GEN 3 T's, so I  cleared the loose snow off the ground and proceeded to hit a few balls into the field to the back of my property. The  Gen 3 T's felt pretty good for being  20* F out and  hitting 34*F balls from my supply in the barely heated garage. Can't wait till my first round come spring.   The next warm day I'm going to try hitting a few more balls but I will warm them up first, does anyone sell heated iron cover's?😁

Agree totally.  The feel on the G3 T's is exceptional.

As for the cold, it is what it is.  I played in a scramble at top tracer today and it was a high of 32 or so. Humid too (for winter), as it is going to snow in the next couple of days.  Balls just don't fly far and it doesn't matter what club it is.  I don't think it has anything to do with the goo in the club. 

I'm cold, the ball is cold, my clubs are cold.  All of that adds up to seriously lessen distance.  The clubs feel great even though it is that cold, which is what stands out to me.  I think the T's are just awesome.  By way of reference, the best drive I had was 270 with rollout and I knew I had just nailed this ball.  In summer, it would certainly be 300.  I hit multiple 3-iron shots flush (lot of long approaches - it was virtual Torrey Pines) and would get maybe 200 out of it. 

The quote of "I guess I will relabel my PXG irons, "60* F plus!", doesn't make sense to me in any respect.  When its cold none of them are going to hit long.  That is just physics.  TigerInTheWoods is correct - warmer equals further.  It is that simple.

I was generally adding two clubs for the temperature and another club for the breeze that was in the face.  For those who don't play in cold, it entails a major adjustment.  These are callaway range balls so i'm sure that factors in there somewhere as well.

I have never really gotten worked up abut the distance on irons.  There is always some sacrifice somewhere.  If the short irons are jacked up lofts, then at the long end they get compressed.  There is no free lunch.  Loft is loft and it is just a number on the club.

Case in point is the T's themselves.  I think it is 51, 46, 41, 36, 32, 28, 25, 22.5, 20 or close to that.  The gap starts at 5 and goes to 2.5.  The P and XP are worse than that, especially the XP's.  42* PW on the XP's seems a bit much, the gaps are huge, starts at 6* on the short irons and at the long irons, it is a 2* difference between 3/4 and 4/5. 

I guess all these companies want the longest hitting 7 iron, even though for a lot of 'em it is really a 6 iron or even 5 iron.

On the soft thing, i never played the gen 1 or 2, so I have no idea on those.  The G3 T's feel pretty soft/smooth.  When you mishit it though, you will definitely know it, at least on the T's for sure.  But they're supposed to be that way as they are more bladey.

I could not have asked for a better day than today! The weather temp was 48* F, but the sun was on full blast and it felt great. I started hitting the irons really well and the distance problem was not there! Had a great round with the irons. When struck well they were right at the flag. Can't wait to hit these again!! The ground was mushy so it was taking some yards off the shots, but that means when things dry up, these irons will be longer!! Glad I bought them! When March gets here with warmer and dryer weather , it will be a blast hitting these. 

• Like 2

Ping G Max 10.5

Epic Max 5 wd

Cobra F9 7 wood

PXG Gen2 XF 6-aw

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 34

Yes, very glad I bought mine.  I never thought I would get something like that and I probably would not have, were it not for the price decline.  These are a blast to hit, are very smooth and very accurate (the G3 T's - I cannot speak for any model other than that).  Smoothest iron I have hit albeit mine is a small sample size.  I think they are difficult to mishit in addition to that.  The long irons are very good.

I'm jealous you were able to get out today.  Same weather here, but it is going to change tomorrow and be like 10 or colder out.  Didn't get to play today. 

• 4 weeks later...

Today was mud golf ball day. Snow melting followed by rain equals a mess. The irons were amazing, totally trusted them, very nice. Found out the PW is the greenside club to get on the green. Had a blast and the irons never let me down, thank you PXG. These irons are on back order now till June, if then. Glad I got mine when I did.  

• Like 1

Ping G Max 10.5

Epic Max 5 wd

Cobra F9 7 wood

PXG Gen2 XF 6-aw

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 34

Hit the irons decent today, but not great. I finally found out what I was doing wrong and started to put the right hand into the ball, much better results. I also made sure to keep the left hand moving in the swing and not stay back.

Ping G Max 10.5

Epic Max 5 wd

Cobra F9 7 wood

PXG Gen2 XF 6-aw

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 34

Posted (edited)

I will be putting the Apex irons back in the bag. I was really struggling with the XF's, so will give the Epics another run. I need more control around the greens chipping wise, so will try the Epics out for that reason, and see if I can get closer to the pin with the other irons as well. After the Epics, the F9's will get a run as well. I have a feeling the Epic will be the King of the hill chipping wise. 

Edited by platgof

Ping G Max 10.5

Epic Max 5 wd

Cobra F9 7 wood

PXG Gen2 XF 6-aw

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 34

I would give them more time. Between your post of really liking them and taking them out of the bag wasnt that long. I did the same thing before and kept switching iron sets and it really hurt my game. Thats why now i sell them when i get a new set. But i also get where your coming from i got fit for pxg gen 1 xf’s and they told me im dumb to get rid of my g25’s but i bought them anyway and sold my buddy the g25s. Hes loving them and i miss them a little. But the pxgs have still worked well for me.