2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How Has Golf Affected Your life?

Soloman1

3 minutes ago, theorangeman said:

Yeah, that's what I was starting to think as well, not about you, but me 😉

I play solo mostly because we moved to a new town during the pandemic and haven't tried socializing much right now.  I also don't like planning things around my round but instead just like to jump on the course when I can.  I live across the street from #6 tee box on my course so I usually wait for an opening, and then jump on and play.  The other thing about playing solo is that I can get nine in at just 85-90 minutes (walking) which makes it easier to fit in right before dinner.  

I play probably 6x a week (mostly 9 holes).  Since August, I've lost 20 lbs which has largely come from so much walking on the course (and nixing the late night eating).  This has helped me immensely with my wife not getting on my case as much for how much I play.  I just point to my stomach  🙂

I wish I was closer to the club, it's about 45 minutes away. But I have never seen more that 5 cars in the lot and the lot only fits about a dozen cars. 

The way the course is arranged it's easy to tee off of 1, 5 or 8. So depending on who is in front of me I either follow or jump ahead.

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Haven't had any big job opportunity encounters, and my wife doesn't play, although I keep trying to get her into it.  Biggest impact has been going to a guy to get my irons looked at has turned into he is now one of my best friends.  Although I am far from where I want to be on this front, it is also a way to have a competitive outlet.  

On 1/6/2021 at 4:33 PM, shoot4par said:

Negatively 😂 

Its an outlet and a recharge. Golf is an opportunity to get out of one's head and enjoy nature. The ability to line up your brain with your physical body in a non-reactionary way is a powerful exercise. Seldom can you find something that muddles the waters of art, calculation and physical action, the way that golf achieves this end. 

At times, its beneficial in making connections but I can't say thats the case for me personally. I've met some friends because of the game, don't get me wrong but its not some commercial tool for me. Its ironic because you always hear, "business deals are made on a golf course." 

I think it used to be the case that "business deals are made on the golf course" but in the western half of the US, the movers and shakers are much more likely to be into lifestyle sports.  In silicon valley, a deal is much more likely to be made while sitting in the saddle on a lunchtime 20 miler vs on the golf course.  Busy professionals don't have time to play for 5 hours; at least not many that I know.  Most of the people who golf around here are retirement age.  

It sucks, but that is the world today.  Golf amongst professionals is going the way of the 3-martini lunch. 

Most of my best friends are golfers, my career, while not as interesting as @Soloman1 grew because the people I worked for loved golf as much as I do.  If you can't build relationships while spending 4 hours with someone on the course, then I can't help you.  You learn more about someone on the golf course than you do at the office, I know that for sure.  

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 1/7/2021 at 9:35 AM, Soloman1 said:

There's nothing wrong with wanting to play by yourself. It's pretty hard to do if you're not a member of a private club, though.

It can be, and I enjoy it occasionally, more for practice, it's like going to the range for me, it helps get the head straight sometimes.  but it really isn't "fun" like playing with friends is.  I enjoy having several balls in my pocket and going around a course hitting some shots etc.  Best practice there is.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

37 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

It can be, and I enjoy it occasionally, more for practice, it's like going to the range for me, it helps get the head straight sometimes.  but it really isn't "fun" like playing with friends is.  I enjoy having several balls in my pocket and going around a course hitting some shots etc.  Best practice there is.  

If you ask me it's the best practice there is. I once joined a goat track for 2 seasons on a new member special. Each year was about the cost of 15 large range buckets.  It was 5 mins from my house. I'd go after dinner by myself and the place was a ghost town.  I'd play multiple balls from a variety of distances. Played the same 3 or 4 holes. Never saw the whole course in the two years I was a member.  My game definitely got better during those 2 years.  Now I generally hate the range and practice.

• Like 2

I'm also averaging about $200 less a month since September. I hope that changes soon. But I keep finding crap to buy. 🤣

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Golf taught me so many life lessons it’s hard to overstate the importance it’s played in shaping who I am - hard work, mental toughness, perseverance, the value of practice, mental toughness and so much more - never mind the joy it brings to just tee it up on a nice day.  All brought in large part by golf and competitive golf.   

Golf took me around the country, met lots of good people, paid for my college and continues to expose me to more new experiences as time goes on.  

There has been nothing quite like it in my life and I’m extremely glad to have been a kid when Tiger was just getting started and the game exploded in popularity.  I picked up a club, started playing, won a junior tournament and it’s been my sporting passion ever since.   

Suffice to say, the game means a great deal to me and I’m super pumped that I now get to share that with wife and kids - we play as a family and it’s pretty much the best.  

Lifelong passion = golf.  For me. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've lived with golf most of my life.  My dad took me to a course that no longer exists at 11 and I never seriously cared about any other sports since then.  My personal life is the outcome of golf.  My best friend has played with me for decades, he happens to be my wife's cousin.  First met my would be wife at 14 at my club.  Had to chase her for way over ten years until she realized that grinders too have something special LOL.  She doesn't play now but she knows how to hit the ball with a steady draw.  My wife's family are all golfers, I've known them all my life so I enjoy my in laws when we get together, we're like a golf brotherhood in fact.  And my elder daughter's name is the name of my golf course.  It was just by chance, but a few months after the baby was born an old member of the club congratulated me on my daughter and the name I'd chosen "after" our course.  The funny thing is my girl is now a teenager and she doesn't believe my wife or I never picked her name because of the golf course.  

And a lot of life as a diehard am golfer is pretty much what Hawkeye tells on playing, travelling, practicing and the never ending juggling between work, family life and the game.  I can still play with my dad which is great so far.  Especially because we've come to terms on the golf course, our only ground of disagreement LOL.  

• Like 2

So I turned to golf to save my sanity and now my over golfing has caused tendonitis in my shoulder and can barely play now. Not being able to play only makes my mood worse. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It has helped me to realize that I am awful at golf. I'm also addicted to it. It's a great place to get away either by myself with my thoughts or with a few buddies to swap stories. It's kind of like a 4 hour version of deer camp with a bit less debauchery. I've had some good times with my father who recently passed, I've witnessed one of my best friends hit a hole in one and I've gotten a good amount of solid life advice as well as some terrible golf tips.

• Like 1

Some great stories. Golf is pretty darn good even when we play poorly.

When I was younger, there was nothing better (well, OK, except for some of the women...) than being on the range in the morning as your footsteps marked a path in the dew to our spot to hit from. The cool air, the dew, the sound of golf balls colliding into a pile from the basket or bag made me forget everything but golf. The solitude of hitting wedges in the crisp morning air is something of magic.

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

I know I have a lot less money. And worth every single cent.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Especially with the way stuff is, the club gives me a reason and place to be safe outside at least 200 yards from anybody. That's so nice.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Me and the lady planned a trip to Amish Country this weekend. We planned to leave around 2 pm and she is always a couple hours late so I thought I'd get 18 in before we left. I come home to dishes, picture frames shattered on the floor and a note on my fridge " (MY NAME) cares about golf more than his girlfriend" LOL. At least she knows my priorities are straight. 

Edited by Dannyboy44
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 3:41 PM, Dannyboy44 said:

Me and the lady planned a trip to Amish Country this weekend. We planned to leave around 2 pm and she is always a couple hours late so I thought I'd get 18 in before we left. I come home to dishes, picture frames shattered on the floor and a note on my fridge " (MY NAME) cares about golf more than his girlfriend" LOL. At least she knows my priorities are straight. 

Golf's a game for a lifetime. 😂

On 5/24/2021 at 12:41 PM, Dannyboy44 said:

Were you home and [would have been] ready to go by 2 PM?

If so, I fail to see the problem. You held up your end of the scheduling.

If not, I fail to see the problem. What, you were going to miss out on home-churned butter? I'd rather go play golf than attend a barn-raising anyway. 

(Sorry if I come across as criticizing the Amish on the internet. But the good news is that they won't read it anyway...) 😉 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

15 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Were you home and [would have been] ready to go by 2 PM?

If so, I fail to see the problem. You held up your end of the scheduling.

If not, I fail to see the problem. What, you were going to miss out on home-churned butter? I'd rather go play golf than attend a barn-raising anyway. 

(Sorry if I come across as criticizing the Amish on the internet. But the good news is that they won't read it anyway...) 😉 

Yes we couldnt even check in until 3 and it was a hour drive. I was home by 12 and had everything packed and ready to go. Keep in mind every trip we go on we leave 2-5 hrs late because she is notoriously late for everything. I just got the itch to golf again and its the first she's seen me giving attention to something else other than her. I even got her a set of clubs and try to get her and her son into it. Theres a million girls out there but only one game i love lol. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd probably weigh about 60-75 pounds more than I do, unless I had taken up some other type of physical activity instead of golf. Over the ten years before I started playing golf I was on a very very steady trajectory of gaining two pounds a year. Now with three decades of golf under my belt (so to speak), I am holding steady at about 15 pounds less than when I started. '

Walking nearly five miles at a time, 2-3 times a week really improves the old energy balance. And it ain't like I was going to eat less, either way. Once I retire I expect to substantially increase the frequency of playing. 

• Like 1

It hasn't helped my career although I wish it did cause I could really use a career change now, also haven't developed any life long friendships or relationships. But it did help with depression so I'll give it that.

Backstory before golf I was a track and field athlete, specifically the shot put, I was fairly successful despite many injuries and setbacks. I thought I was free and clear of all of that and was even slotted to be an Olympic hopeful for the 2020 games way back in 2015/2016. So I got to training but being in a sport with little funding and a governing body that doesn't give a damn about half their athletes I was working 40 hours a week on top of training another 25-35 hours a week and I couldn't get all the rehab and recovery I needed. Just imagine working non stop 80 hours a week and then all your free time taken up as well, you can only do it for so long before you get burnt out. I'll save the details but I got burnt out, fed up, depressed, etc so I decided to walk away from a sport that I loved and basically entered a long depression as I didn't know what to do with my life and wasn't too motivated to do much else. 

Finally a year later my friends asked me if I wanted to go golfing as they had a charity tournament coming up and needed a 4th. I golfed years ago as a kid but gave it up to focus on the shot put. So I walked into the local golf shop, bought the cheapest set on the sale rack, bought a driver on clearance and filled out my golf bag with old stuff I had laying around. I think my second hole back I got a birdie and well I got hooked. It reminded me a lot of my old sport being an individual sport, being very technical and a constant challenge. 

I honestly do wish I had the time, money, weather and facilities near me to put in even half the time I did in my old sport as I'd be a pretty decent golfer. But it's not just that it's the time out golfing that I enjoy the most, it relaxes me even if I shoot 100+ I'm in a good mood, I'm happy, my mind is clear, I don't care about anything else going on in life while I'm on the course. I would love to find a private club one day that is reasonable where I could just walk on after work and play, I'd probably play min 9 holes daily after work. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

• 2 weeks later...

Golf has affected my life in countless of ways as mentioned above, mental toughness and resolve, here in the uk we had to endure 2 national lockdowns so i had no golf for 6 months which was hard and also currently as my managers are messing me around at work which is trying my patients no end. 

its taught me self control and most important etiquette, (which isnt a problem when you have autism) 

A few quotes from the legend of bagger vance movie which i find perfect to golf and life is “everyone has to find their own authentic swing” “golf is a game that can only be played not won” and most important to me is “everyone must find their own place in the field” may that be business, work, or importantly golf ️🏌🏻

Edited by DavidH88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Golf has been twofold for me personally. It paid for my 4 year college education. I was lucky enough to get to travel all over and play this game trying to make a living at it. It was absolutely miserable to be honest. I had some incredibly minor success. It cost a lot of money chasing the dream for 4 years and really strained some friendships and personal relationships that I did not see coming. I'll call it the "dark side" of professional golf most people aren't privy to. If you can imagine a scenario where 7 days a week you are gambling or playing tournament golf knowing that if you lose, you might not be able to afford the next event unless you can get another sponsor check to help you out. It was a masterclass in mental discipline. It taught me how to be mentally confident in my abilities. It also taught me how to travel, how to budget properly, how to make the floor of an AirBNB somewhat comfortable. Truly I wouldn't trade the experience of those years for anything. 

Fast forward to now, and having regained my amateur status golf is still allowing me to travel and play competitively at a rate that surprises even me! I have a boss who is a golf nut who allows me to travel to Florida a few times a year for events, South Carolina, all over Virginia playing competitively. I thoroughly enjoy the game now, and to be honest I think I would beat 24 year old me to death 5 days a week. There is just a balance now that I didn't have back then. I have an amazing girlfriend who allows me to play as much as I want, a job that allows me to work "remotely" during tournament weeks. It has been such an integral part of my life for 20 years, and has helped shape me personally and professionally I really don't know where I would be without this game. 

• Like 3

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

• 1 month later...

free money GIF

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

• 4 months later...

I'm going to resurrect this topic now that its off season maybe a few more people will reply.

I started golfing as soon as I can remember.  My parents were members of a small little 9 hole country club when I was growing up. (Preston Golf and Country Club)

I golfed on the golf team in high school but was not one of the coaches favorites.  Even though I played better than the other guys during our qualifying rounds I didn't get to play in many of the actual tournaments, which left a bad taste in my mouth for years to come.

Right after trade school I moved to a ski resort town the had crazy high greens fees.  As a young kid not making much the only time I played was when I went home to visit my parents.  Golf just wasn't affordable to me in the 90's and I went with other hobbies.  Then I married and moved to an area that had some great deals on golf.  I hit it hard for about two years when a seasons pass was $500 for three municipal 18 hole courses.  Well work changed and I moved back to the ski resort area.  $175 dollar green fees and 5 hour rounds were not conducive to staying married so I went back to only playing 2-3 times a year and at one point literally said I was done after a bad experience with a pompous arrogant "member at a crappy little 9 hole tract.

Well fast forward to 2020 and after a nice Christmas bonus The wife decided that maybe she wanted to start golfing more.  Great News!!!  So we found a nice course that offered a reasonable membership for around $2500 (93 Golf Ranch).  We played it a couple of times before the snow flew (Idaho) and my wife liked it quite a bit.  Well one day bored watching golf I looked up a private country club that I had always dreamed of playing but never got an invite.  Since we were 70 miles away from it we could join as a "out of area" member for the same price as the other tract.  This new place is legit with a Very nice club house, 18 holes of stunning golf down in a canyon, great practice facilities, and a private lake with all the amenities you could want.  So we switched it up and joined Blue Lakes Country Club.  

So down the rabbit hole we go, new clubs, fittings, clothes, the whole works.  Then we start thinking, uggghhh 1 hour and 15 minutes down and then 1 hour and 15 back.  That didn't sound very fun.  So we sold our house and went and built my wife's dream house 12 minutes away from the course.  Best move we could have ever made. My wife works from home now because of covid plus she is finally in a decent sized city for other things. (we lived in a town 1 hour to the closet Walmart, with no grocery store, no bar, no restaurants).  

We are meeting new friends every month it seems and the golf bug has fully infected me again.  100 plus rounds this year.

So I don't have any business deals or crazy things like that but our life is 180 degree different and to the better because of our renewed love of the game.

82803353.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 7:35 AM, Soloman1 said:

There's nothing wrong with wanting to play by yourself. It's pretty hard to do if you're not a member of a private club, though.

I guess it depends on where you live. I'm not a member but there are 2 courses within 20 minutes of my office. I can be first out or soon after solo during the week without issue. I typically play 9 holes before the office at 7:30, there might be a dozen folks there when I'm done.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

My wife and I started to golf, together , about ten years ago. Our son moved out about ten years ago so we sort of were looking around, wondering what to hell to do.

Its been great. We golf together every week. We each have our own golf times . Travel vacations with the BIL/partner and play with friends locally.

Glad we found golf together.