WRX, looking for some advice. Building myself a sim TI 5wood. Plan is to turn it down to 17deg (more of a 4wood loft) to open the face. What length would you play it as? 43”? 42.5”? Shorter?

putting a ventus black 7x in it. Just got fit for the sim driver, same shaft, 6x, tipped 1.5”. Driver is a cannon. 

Got some advice from a builder, said tip it a 1/2” and build to 43”. Hit, hit and choke up, see how it feels. If it feels soft, tip another half inch or butt trim to length. 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd start with it built to 43'', tipped 1/2'' and choke up a little bit. If it feels good and performs well, butt cut to 42.5'' and grip as normal. If it feels soft but you're otherwise happy, pull th

Tipping is generally a function of head weight, so it helps to know what the finished head weight will be including the adaptor.

In terms of the playing length, let me put it this way. I’ve done a little bit of work at local tour events (Co sanctioned with the Asian and European tour) and more than half the players I did work on fairway woods for would play them shorter than what you would expect. 42.5 inches was very common for 3 wood.

So, that being said are you playing this head as more of a higher launching 3 wood (Or longest fairway wood in your bag)? Or is it being used as a second higher lofted fairway wood?

Personally, I’d likely build it at 42.5 if it is going to be the longest fairway in the bag, 43 at the most. If this is the case the head weight will likely be 215-220g and the shaft tipping would likely be 1 to 1.5 inches depending on the shaft.

Figure out the place it will have in the bag, then the length, head weight and tipping should follow.

I'm actually doing this exact same thing right now...but with a different shaft. My Sim 5 wood (cranked down to 17 degrees) will be the only FW in the bag.

I purchased a Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5 3 wood shaft with a Titleist adapter. Once I get the adaptors switched I am going to throw it right in my Sim 5 wood (will play at 43"). If it feels soft due to the heavier headweight, I will tip it 0.25" or 0.5." If it feels ok, I will butt trim to desired length.  

Edited by wedgemaster69
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 5:35 AM, HISPL said:

Tipping is generally a function of head weight, so it helps to know what the finished head weight will be including the adaptor.

In terms of the playing length, let me put it this way. I’ve done a little bit of work at local tour events (Co sanctioned with the Asian and European tour) and more than half the players I did work on fairway woods for would play them shorter than what you would expect. 42.5 inches was very common for 3 wood.

So, that being said are you playing this head as more of a higher launching 3 wood (Or longest fairway wood in your bag)? Or is it being used as a second higher lofted fairway wood?

Personally, I’d likely build it at 42.5 if it is going to be the longest fairway in the bag, 43 at the most. If this is the case the head weight will likely be 215-220g and the shaft tipping would likely be 1 to 1.5 inches depending on the shaft.

Figure out the place it will have in the bag, then the length, head weight and tipping should follow.

Oh man, my post never showed up, let’s try this again....

head weights 225g with the adaptor. It will be the longest wood in my bag but I don’t need it to be a cannon, I’ve got a cobra that I can toss in that flies 275 off the deck, it’s basically a second driver. Looking more for something that will close the gap between that’s 3 wood and the hybrid

do they state the tipping instructions based on head weights or is that from experience? I thought they always just have recommendations based on the the wood, which from what I’m reading on here seems to always be shorter than what guys are actually doing

12 hours ago, UofAGolf007 said:

head weights 225g with the adaptor. It will be the longest wood in my bag but I don’t need it to be a cannon, I’ve got a cobra that I can toss in that flies 275 off the deck, it’s basically a second driver. Looking more for something that will close the gap between that’s 3 wood and the hybrid

do they state the tipping instructions based on head weights or is that from experience? I thought they always just have recommendations based on the the wood, which from what I’m reading on here seems to always be shorter than what guys are actually doing

Tipping suggestions from the manufac. are based on the club it's going into - not head weight - but head weight is part of the overall reason these suggestions are listed by club number since weight changes with each head. Basing tipping off head weight DIRECTLY is more of a custom/fitter thing, for instance if you weigh out a head during a build or like something like PING which is a heavier head sometimes you may want to tip more to counteract that weight.

If you go to the Fujikura or Mitsubishi websites, tipping suggestions will go by what club you're putting the shaft into. Then you go from there on what you need custom/fitted/personally. If you need to drop spin or flight height you can tip more, generally up to 1".

Edited by third-times-a-charm

Epic Max LS + HZRDUS Yellow  / TS2 3W + Tensei AV Blue / Mavrik 7W + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

I'd start with it built to 43'', tipped 1/2'' and choke up a little bit. If it feels good and performs well, butt cut to 42.5'' and grip as normal. If it feels soft but you're otherwise happy, pull the adapter, tip another 1/2'' and then grip as normal.

The ventus 7x black is pretty beast though and unless you really move the ball, I don't think you'd need a full 1'' tip. I think Fuji recommends no tipping for driver and 3w, and then 1/2'' for 5w. The tip on these shafts are some of the stiffest out there.

I can also tell you from experience that the SIM Ti turned to 17* is really fade biased... nearly impossible to turn over unless you flip at it. I tried this experiment in 2020 and I had to put it back to 19* because I couldn't keep it from cutting an excessive amount.

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM Max 9* - Ventus Black 6x

Cobra Speedzone Big 3 Tour - Accra FX 2.0 370 M5

Cobra Speedzone - Accra FX 2.0 380 M5 (Testing SIM Max 19* - HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 95 6.5)

Titleist 818H1 - Ventus Blue 10x

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6i, Forged CB 6-GW - AMT X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 54.12D, 58.8M - S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Custom Atwood

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

9 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I'd start with it built to 43'', tipped 1/2'' and choke up a little bit. If it feels good and performs well, butt cut to 42.5'' and grip as normal. If it feels soft but you're otherwise happy, pull the adapter, tip another 1/2'' and then grip as normal.

The ventus 7x black is pretty beast though and unless you really move the ball, I don't think you'd need a full 1'' tip. I think Fuji recommends no tipping for driver and 3w, and then 1/2'' for 5w. The tip on these shafts are some of the stiffest out there.

I can also tell you from experience that the SIM Ti turned to 17* is really fade biased... nearly impossible to turn over unless you flip at it. I tried this experiment in 2020 and I had to put it back to 19* because I couldn't keep it from cutting an excessive amount.

I think thats going to be the plan, leave a 1/2” on either end and go from there either butt trimming or pulling adaptor and tip trimming the last bit

thats good to know tho, I have trouble moving the ball left to right, having a club in the bag with a little fade bias might not be a bad thing

56 minutes ago, UofAGolf007 said:

I think thats going to be the plan, leave a 1/2” on either end and go from there either butt trimming or pulling adaptor and tip trimming the last bit

thats good to know tho, I have trouble moving the ball left to right, having a club in the bag with a little fade bias might not be a bad thing

You might want to double check but I think moving the loft down 2, opens the face 4. With a ventus black in there, you should be able to hit a cut no problem.

Cobra Speedzone - Accra FX 2.0 380 M5 (Testing SIM Max 19* - HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 95 6.5)

Custom Atwood

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

2 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

You might want to double check but I think moving the loft down 2, opens the face 4. With a ventus black in there, you should be able to hit a cut no problem.

Oh ya, that’s crazy, opens it right up. Is it bad that it looks square to me haha

https://www.taylormadegolf.eu/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-EU-Library/en_DE/v1602489889516/TaylorMade/Custom_Specs/2020_tuning_manual.pdf

5 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

its a 1-1 ratio.  How long is your driver playing?  Based on your driver tipping you could probably tip the fairway 1 inch or more since fairways are usually tipped the same or more than the driver.  for a 5 wood that your playing as a 4 wood I think 42.5 is a good length.  I play my 3 wood 43 inches and my 5 wood 42 or 42.5

24 minutes ago, Awainer1 said:

its a 1-1 ratio.  How long is your driver playing?  Based on your driver tipping you could probably tip the fairway 1 inch or more since fairways are usually tipped the same or more than the driver.  for a 5 wood that your playing as a 4 wood I think 42.5 is a good length.  I play my 3 wood 43 inches and my 5 wood 42 or 42.5

TaylorMade SIM Tuning Guide - The Golf Shop Online Blog

Custom Atwood

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

On 1/16/2021 at 11:08 AM, UofAGolf007 said:

Sorry for the late reply, generally manufacturers recommend tipping based on the “wood number” so perhaps it is 1/2 inch for the 3 wood, 1 inch for the 5 wood etc etc but this is done as there is a “guesstimate” on the weight of those heads.

For stronger players they might want to go an extra 1/2 inch to an inch on this, however it also depends on the shaft profile.

Some shafts have VERY stiff tips where tipping doesn’t make a big difference to the tip flex. Others that have softer tip sections are more responsive to tipping.

If you are playing the same model of shaft in the driver tipped 1.5 inches that I would suggest is the starting point for tipping in a head that is 20g heavier than the driver.

You may even want to go to 2 inches so leave a little “wiggle room” in there to begin with before butt trimming to your final length.

3 hours ago, HISPL said:

Sorry for the late reply, generally manufacturers recommend tipping based on the “wood number” so perhaps it is 1/2 inch for the 3 wood, 1 inch for the 5 wood etc etc but this is done as there is a “guesstimate” on the weight of those heads.

For stronger players they might want to go an extra 1/2 inch to an inch on this, however it also depends on the shaft profile.

Some shafts have VERY stiff tips where tipping doesn’t make a big difference to the tip flex. Others that have softer tip sections are more responsive to tipping.

If you are playing the same model of shaft in the driver tipped 1.5 inches that I would suggest is the starting point for tipping in a head that is 20g heavier than the driver.

You may even want to go to 2 inches so leave a little “wiggle room” in there to begin with before butt trimming to your final length.

I just had a brain wave.... should just pop the driver shaft into the 5wood, choke up, and see how it feels in the hands

On 1/18/2021 at 11:56 AM, UofAGolf007 said:

I just had a brain wave.... should just pop the driver shaft into the 5wood, choke up, and see how it feels in the hands

Won’t really hurt to do that, but it will feel a bit awkward when gripping down that much as the shaft is a little lighter and there will be somewhat of a counterbalance effect with 2-2.5 inches of grip above your top hand.

But it doesn’t cost anything to do that 😉