Sentry Tournament of Champions

tiderider

I just watch them play golf- I don't care what they look like or what they say

Thomas probably will get a pass because he is Tiger's pet. Then again Tiger used to be disliked

Nicklaus lost me when he had to make a political endorsement

Best just to admire the sport skills and expect nothing more

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Hankshank said:

Being Scandinavian without access to PGA TV I cannot decipher f_t  and hot mic but I gather from the discussions here that it is a mean word for ”homosexual” and he did that having a microphone attached to his clothing? 

Yes, but the mic was off the green somewhere and im this day and age not surprised it picked something up, I mean they are kind of hoping to pick up whatever they can get, but he pretty much muttered it under his breath ---- in contrast to some of his other tossing about of profanities, lol, mics these days pick up a lot and there is no place to hide out there.

Edited by Hawkeye77

On 1/8/2021 at 12:01 PM, Rangeballz said:

Anyone else already tired of Rolfing's incessant tour guide schtick? 

Haha, I like him, but to your point, that's why they set him up to talk about it - he's lived there forever and is big into promoting the islands - these two weeks are his favorites, I'll bet.  

Gannon in the lead role was getting on my nerves, lol.  Seems like he wants to challenge in kind of a dry, sarcastic way just about everything someone says  - sounds like there's no mean intent and I think that's just "his way" but waiting for someone to say, "yep buddy, I really do know what I'm talking about".  Probably just watched too much coverage because he usually doesn't get under my skin.

Everyone gets frustrated.  Everyone doesn’t throw out homophobic slurs when they are.  Being lumped in with Patrick Reed in this category isn’t really where you want to be in your career.

I’m a JT fan, but he does show a lot of immaturity when he’s upset on the course and he ought to get to working on that. 

• Like 4

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Learning opportunity for J.T. Not the same as that guy last year sharing the homophobic stuff on social media (can’t remember his name). Not that it’s excusable, but to me he obviously feels bad about it, and his apology seems sincere. I think a screw up like this for J.T. might actually help him to work on his somewhat childish demeanor when things don’t go his way. It’s probably time for him to grow up a bit anyway.  I asked one of my friends, who just happens to be gay and a huge golf fan said to me when I messaged him : “This is gonna blow up bigger than it needs to be, but offense can’t be given, only taken.”

Edited by Skhacker
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

I don’t see this being a problem for JT. Patrick Reed said the same thing a few years ago on a hot mic and everyone still loves him......

Everyone still loves PR?  Bwahhahahahaa... That's funny stuff.

But for JT, he apologized and I'm sure but only for a tiny minority it's behind them as well.

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, archer1 said:

“It’s embarrassing; that’s not me and it’s inexcusable,"he said.

Justin, you are lying.

If it is in your vocabulary, and you utter it, it is you.

i wouldn't say "it's him" because he used it, but i think people are missing the point ... that he used it against himself is irrelevant ... it's meant to be insulting, and refers to one specific group of people ... it's a word he shouldn't use, ideally  ...

Tom Brenneman (cincinnati baseball broadcaster) used it last year when he thought he was off air, and he didn't finish the game out ... this will come back pretty hard on JT, i think ... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Given the events that consume the current news cycle ; ) , I doubt this will be much.

I saw the clip, he seemed to be mumbling this to himself. I mean, if a mic picked up half the stuff I said driving in heavy traffic, I be banned from the universe ; )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tiderider said:

i wouldn't say "it's him" because he used it, but i think people are missing the point ... that he used it against himself is irrelevant ... it's meant to be insulting, and refers to one specific group of people ... it's a word he shouldn't use, ideally  ...

Tom Brenneman (cincinnati baseball broadcaster) used it last year when he thought he was off air, and he didn't finish the game out ... this will come back pretty hard on JT, i think ... 

Apples and Oranges comparison. JT was referring to himself out of frustration.  Brenneman was referring to others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Apples and Oranges comparison. JT was referring to himself out of frustration.  Brenneman was referring to others.

maybe ... and i'm not calling for jt's head ... just saying i think he'll lose some sponsors over it ... 

1 minute ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I’m loving all the stuff the mics are picking up! I think it’s ridiculous that the announcers keep apologizing every time someone utters something to themselves. Who cares!  Guess whose watching this telecast?  It’s people like us, who all do the exact same thing out on the course. It actually (to me) just makes them more relatable. 

And for the few who are offended by it, so what. They’re offended by everything. 

If they mic'd up the tee boxes or greens at my club it would be ugly for me lol

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I’m loving all the stuff the mics are picking up! I think it’s ridiculous that the announcers keep apologizing every time someone utters something to themselves. Who cares!  Guess whose watching this telecast?  It’s people like us, who all do the exact same thing out on the course. It actually (to me) just makes them more relatable. 

And for the few who are offended by it, so what. They’re offended by everything. 

Yup.  Maybe not the same words but definitely some juicy explicatives uttered at ourselves about bad golf shots 🙂

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 1

I mean like, what do people who, supposedly, never have a prejudiced thought or highly offensive thoughts mumble to themselves when they are angry?! Lol

Reminds me of.....

Ive seen a couple of references to “1984”.

I must have read it 15 times over the decades. Not just for the amazing political foresight, but it’s a really cool story with great characters as well. 

Winston, of course, has deep conflict with the current system. His neighbor, Parsons, is a model citizen, a true “goodthinker”.

Parsons, due to his self suppression of all “crimethink” ends up yelling “Down with Big Brother” in his sleep!

His own children report him 😂

• Like 2

The word JT used is universally loathed...it's about as bad as the n-word, IMHO.  Go ahead and ask any gay person what they think of the word...it's filled with hatred.  No one uses it as a joke unless you're in middle school and don't know better.

I don't think JT deserves to be tarred and feathered for this, but it's highly unlikely that he hasn't used this word many times in the past...it's not like one of George Carlin's "7 curse words" which are fairly neutral.

Edited by manku
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, manku said:

The word JT used is universally loathed...it's about as bad as the n-word, IMHO.  Go ahead and ask any gay person what they think of the word...it's filled with hatred.  No one uses it as a joke unless you're in middle school and don't know better.

I don't think JT deserves to be tarred and feathered for this, but it's highly unlikely that he hasn't used this word many times in the past...it's not like one of George Carlin's "7 curse words" which are fairly neutral.

I 100% see where you’re coming from Manku, and you are correct. 

But context counts too. In that middle school situation that word is usually used as a directly towards another person. A “brutal” middle school slam. But he was directing it at himself. Meant only for himself. I realize it doesn’t eliminate what he did actually say, but I do think it mitigates it. JT needs to learn to just say it himself silently. 

It says a lot about people what they utter 'under their breath' - its their true character.
This is not a one time mistake -its a one time getting caught.

Again - if I said that at my work I would be on an official warning - PGA tour will doubtless call him a 'class act' for admitting his error and fine him a relative small amount.

• Like 1

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

That word never seemed to be a problem for Dire Straits or Main Stream Radio.......

See the little f***** with the earring and the makeup
Yeah buddy that's his own hair
That little f***** got his own jet airplane
That little f***** he's a millionaire

I know, different era. Now, everyone seems to get there Ovaries Bruised at the slightest hiccup .LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR2  10*

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5*

Titleist TSR2 16.5*

Ping G425 Hybrid 21*

Wilson Staff Utility 24*

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50 F 54* S 58* M

Evnroll ER11v Midlock

Titleist ProV1

59 minutes ago, Skhacker said:

Learning opportunity for J.T. Not the same as that guy last year sharing the homophobic stuff on social media (can’t remember his name). Not that it’s excusable, but to me he obviously feels bad about it, and his apology seems sincere. I think a screw up like this for J.T. might actually help him to work on his somewhat childish demeanor when things don’t go his way. It’s probably time for him to grow up a bit anyway.  I asked one of my friends, who just happens to be gay and a huge golf fan said to me when I messaged him : “This is gonna blow up bigger than it needs to be, but offense can’t be given, only taken.”

Scott Piercy. JT had the decency to be honestly contrite and apologetic about his slip up. Unlike Piercy who broke out the ‘oh sorry you were offended by my bold truth telling’ act.

Still though, at this point JT, along with everyone else on tour, should be smart enough to assume that they’re always miked up. Just like Piercy should’ve been clever enough to figure out other people can see what he posts to social media. C’est la vie.

• Like 1