• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. Vague, so mostly meaningless 2. What’s important is to move the hips correctly...for you personally.  That can be a long discussion depending on the instance. 3. Poor hip movement makes t

These guys here are and were top players and their hips are relatively square at impact.  It all depends how you release the club in my opinion.  If you have a rolling release, your hips need to be le

In my humble nonprofessional opinion clearing the hips ruins more golf swing than it help.  People who emphasize hip clearing often leave the club head behind resulting in a lot of sorrow.  If you per

Posted Images

Saw this and tried it at the range...

Stood maybe 8-9" from the ball. Choked down like on the video. 

First attempt: chunked it. Second, third, and fourth attempts I focused on rotating the hips and made perfectly clean contact. 

That's from a 23 cap who is right now struggling to work through proper hip motion. It was... illuminating. 

• Like 1

Deleted my text. It was way too long. Point I was trying to make is that a lot of fonts on here are rationalizing why not to fix lack of hip rotation, but the problem lies in how people think they have to go about fixing it. Not in whether it is good for your swing (it is). Rotation isn’t the “answer”...a better pivot and weight shift is the answer. Get it right and compression improves, contact and start lines improve, and distance improves. Is it necessary to fix lack of rotation?  No, because you can match some things up and still hit the ball decent. But is more “rotation” better than less?  Definitively yes. 

Edited by LeftDaddy
  • Like 1
On 1/13/2021 at 11:02 AM, betarhoalphadelta said:

My thought exactly. 

Whether you're talking about his closed stance drill or his full 7 iron shot, you can see that he's got fairly open hips at impact. 

I think a lot of players screw themselves up with overt focus on clearing the hips, just as a lot of players screw themselves up with overt focus on any single swing aspect.

But open hips at impact, properly sequenced with the rest of the swing, are IMHO important. This video seems to state that 82% of players are "upper core" and thus should focus on the arms/hands, but the video itself shows a player that is clearly rotating well and has open hips at impact. I worry the words will confuse people if they don't realize that the video shows something different. 

I really like this post. 

Question, from an observation of the pro golfers shown...

The pictures lined up of the pros all with big hip clearance at impact are hitting driver. 

The pictures of the pros without big hip clearance, with the exception of ONE of Jack, they seem to be hitting irons. And then the comparison between Phil and Jack not showing a lot of clearance one one shot, and showing a lot more on another, it appears that one of the big differences between the two was iron vs driver. 

Should there be a difference in how open your hips get depending on whether you're hitting driver or mid-to-short iron? 

I ask partially because this is something that I'm working on. I've been able to get my impact position (7 iron) to the below, where you can just barely see my left cheek / pocket flap peeking out. So I'm clearly open, but I'm not *very* open. 

Does the length of the club, and/or the upward angle of attack you're shooting for with driver, have any impact on the actual degree of open hips you should be targeting? 

image.png.19b4851efd8daa101ec958048b38e8aa.png

18 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

There are other issues this frame doesn’t show.  

Not opening the hips is because they can’t because of other incorrect body movements and the club face being out of position.

Oh, Monte, I've got all sorts of issues 😉 

But taking my own swing out of the picture, I take your answer to mean that hips clearing is independent of club length? I.e. if you have hips that are somewhere near 25 degrees open on your driver swing, they would be somewhere near 25 degrees open on your 9 iron swing?

22 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Oh, Monte, I've got all sorts of issues 😉 

But taking my own swing out of the picture, I take your answer to mean that hips clearing is independent of club length? I.e. if you have hips that are somewhere near 25 degrees open on your driver swing, they would be somewhere near 25 degrees open on your 9 iron swing?

In the ball park.   Ball is further up in stance for driver so makes sense to be a bit more open.

Mid iron vs driver.  
F2C423F6-5B44-4FF6-A9A7-661B3B046582.jpeg.cb56dc7a316cd5315769103cbbddcdbd.jpeg

0850C5D5-79E0-40FE-B959-591F380DE05C.jpeg.aff29ad360fd2955d0f609854c7c7f27.jpeg

on the other end of the rotation spectrum - Na is about 20* open

1C583286-BC76-472C-A56D-9ACE9C6E2C44.jpeg.7ca650f817c58aca58bd532aee848f7d.jpeg855E54DA-6F27-456C-B66B-53DBB79C816C.jpeg.fda351f84415b31904b2553e8578268c.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Enjoy every sandwich

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Question, from an observation of the pro golfers shown...

The pictures lined up of the pros all with big hip clearance at impact are hitting driver. 

The pictures of the pros without big hip clearance, with the exception of ONE of Jack, they seem to be hitting irons. And then the comparison between Phil and Jack not showing a lot of clearance one one shot, and showing a lot more on another, it appears that one of the big differences between the two was iron vs driver. 

Should there be a difference in how open your hips get depending on whether you're hitting driver or mid-to-short iron? 

I ask partially because this is something that I'm working on. I've been able to get my impact position (7 iron) to the below, where you can just barely see my left cheek / pocket flap peeking out. So I'm clearly open, but I'm not *very* open. 

Does the length of the club, and/or the upward angle of attack you're shooting for with driver, have any impact on the actual degree of open hips you should be targeting? 

image.png.19b4851efd8daa101ec958048b38e8aa.png

The desired shot shape and resulting set up could also change the look of the hips at impact.  Open relative to what, where they started?  If a player is set up for a fade, the hips will already be open relative to the target line.