Wedge for 20 hdcp

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Find a cheap old cleveland or vokey and get good at using a wedge

As a 20, I think something that can help now and that you can grow into.  I would suggest Ping Glide...plenty of forgiveness and some of the best players using them.  I would get standard grind and if

THIS.  The Glide's are great wedges and pretty forgiving.  The cavity is there for that very reason.  In fact, if you can get your hands on some 3.0 Wide Soles and have someone who can grind some lead

Cleveland and Callaway both make a 'high HCP' wedge. They even look the same.

If you want to stick to square-faced shots and you want forgiveness then I recommend them. If you want to do more with your wedge or want to play open-face shots ever, I recommend getting a lesson with a normal wedge.

Epic Max LS + HZRDUS Yellow  / TS2 3W + Tensei AV Blue / Mavrik 7W + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

Agree with Metro-PA...CBX 2's are excellent wedges. My playing partners all use them and they seems to to be really easy to hit.  Actually thinking of going that way myself and love that a 4-cap is using them successfully...

Ping G425 SFT Driver Alta CB 55

Ping G425 SFT 5 Wood Alta CB 65

Ping G400 4 & 5 Hybrids Accra FX 2.0

Srixon z545 5 Iron Recoil 65 

Srixon z745 6-PW Mitsubishi G60

Callaway MD5 52/56/60 Nippon V90

Scotty Cameron Golo

Ever considered getting the Alien wedge?

But seriously, if insist on getting a wedge that the best players in the world use, then you must work on your short game with practice and lessons.

I'm from Vancouver myself.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

4 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Ever considered getting the Alien wedge?

But seriously, if insist on getting a wedge that the best players in the world use, then you must work on your short game with practice and lessons.

I'm from Vancouver myself.

My dad use the alien sand wedege for the last 25 years if not more and he get out of the sand 9/10 .. i tried it , and dont go anywhere.

What irons are you playing? May make sense to buy the same model wedges as your iron set.

G400 LST 10*, Tensei CK White 60S

TS2 15*, Tensei AV Blue 65R

0317X Gen2 19*, MMT 80S

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW, SteelFiber 95S

RTX4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid, TI S400; HiToe 64*, HiRev 2.0
Red X2 35”/330g

Tour B XS (normal cond.) / LD V1x (windy cond.)

- Testing: 0811X+ Proto; Orig One 11.5*; SuperHybrid 17*; 0311XF #3; 2021 TP5x.

- Backups: TS3 9.5*; EFSZ 9* & 15*; 0317 Gen1 17*; 0211; TW-X; IC-601; 716 T-MB; Lucky 777CS; WHP 7CS & CSM 400g; Sigma G Kinloch C.

Doesn't matter. Any quality wedge should do if you like how it feels/swings.

If you hit down get one with more bounce and/or wide sole.

If you sweep the ball get one with less bounce and/or narrower sole. 

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Find a cheap old cleveland or vokey and get good at using a wedge

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 8* Rogue White 130MSI 70x | Ventus Black 6x

Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* Rogue White 130MSI 80x | Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB, 56* TW Grind, 60* TW Grind Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey WH Pro #7 | Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Srixon Z-Star XV

Ping Hoofer

1 minute ago, JFM628 said:

As a 20, I think something that can help now and that you can grow into.  I would suggest Ping Glide...plenty of forgiveness and some of the best players using them.  I would get standard grind and if you get 2.0, you can get a great deal.

THIS.  The Glide's are great wedges and pretty forgiving.  The cavity is there for that very reason.  In fact, if you can get your hands on some 3.0 Wide Soles and have someone who can grind some leading edge and heel relief, that will really help you pull off a lot more difficult shots going forward.  

• Like 1

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

Such a personal feel on wedges OP. I think you go to a local shop and see which one for you fits your eye. Second, look for options that have more versatility in terms of the grinds offered. Most of the companies have a variance in grind options that allow for you to open up the face without effecting the bounce. Third and is important as well is the amount of bounce. Take things into consideration and you stating you are a higher handicapper would lean more towards higher bounce options. This just allows more room for the leading bottom edge to catch the turf and give you more room for error. There is a bit of trial and error on wedges for sure. And last thing I would add is the performance on the course. I have veered away from some wedges due to the fact that they just bite too much and dont have as much roll out as I like. Good luck and hope you find the wedge that delivers.

TaylorMade R1 Devotion 06
TaylorMade Aeroburner Graphite Design BB6S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

TBD

Taylormade HiToe 52/60 C taper 120

Cleveland Hunington Beach #11 Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Start with something around 56*, don't go LW, and make sure it has a decent amount of bounce, don't start with a thin soled tour style wedge designed for tight lies and firm turf.  

Get really good at using this for all types of shots around then green, hit it high/medium and low, you don't need to spend big bucks, a good used name brand wedge should do the trick.  I wouldn't go with a super wide soled gimmick wedge like you see on infomercials unless you are looking for a crutch, you will never become a good wedge player messing around  with one of those.  With a wedge, especially on chips and pitches, forgiveness is more about bounce and grind than cavities and MOI, 

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56 Degree MID Bounce

This loft and bounce combination is extremely versatile and will suit most conditions well. Fluffy or hard packed sand. Tight lies on fairways. Thick rough. It will work well in anything and is great for people who play a variety of courses or only want to carry a single wedge.

If you can't get this club to work for you in all conditions get a chipping lesson, or spend some time online learning the mechanics of chipping, in particular how to adjust setup based on your lie (thick rough vs tight lie), and how to use the bounce of your wedge in each of these conditions. 

Ping G410+ 9*

Taylormade M3 17*

Callaway Epic Hybrid 20*

Srixon ZX7 4-AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* 60*

Odyssey SL Black #7

17 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Callaway Sure Out great choice, pick your loft and you will have no regrets.

These clubs are not versatile at all.

They are useful for bunker shots with extremely fluffy sand, or chipping out of deep rough. 

Ping G410+ 9*

Taylormade M3 17*

Callaway Epic Hybrid 20*

Srixon ZX7 4-AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* 60*

Odyssey SL Black #7

Would suggest getting an old one from eBay to experiment with.  I live in a rural area. so that is my main source.  Plus, I would recommend not getting a bunch of different lofts like many on this site use.  From my own experience, have a 56 as your highest wedge & just learn how to use it.  Having many different swings available with the same club will greatly benefit you down the road.   

Ping Glides are great if you want the versatility of a bladed wedge and some forgiveness on full shots. CBX2 and the new Mack Daddy CB are great options as well, a little more forgiving on fuller shots. 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0* 

Callaway Mavrik 15*

Mizuno JPX 900 18*

Titleist 818H2 22*

Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland Zip Core Tour Rack 50,54,58

Odyssey White Hot 2Ball

Srixon ZStar XV

I usually average around 77-84 score wise. 
I play my iron set (Cobra T-Rail) wedges down to a GW and the SW (56*). I only use those for full shots.  100 yds and 85 yds respectively.  

I then play a CBX 60* that I use for 75 yd shots, most all chips and partial wedge shots. 

I then use a Callaway 64* Sure Out for 60 yd shots, sand shots and any time I need height on a short pitch. 

Covers me 

Callaway Mavrik 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w

Exotics Xrail 4h/5h

Cobra T-Rail 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 9.2

3 hours ago, bombs said:

They are useful for bunker shots with extremely fluffy sand, or chipping out of deep rough. 

Beg to differ.  You just have to learn the technique with them.  

Callaway Mavrik 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w

Exotics Xrail 4h/5h

Cobra T-Rail 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

10 minutes ago, erock9174 said:

Beg to differ.  You just have to learn the technique with them.  

These clubs exist to address technique flaws. 

Why would I want to learn how to not chip properly..?

Ping G410+ 9*

Taylormade M3 17*

Callaway Epic Hybrid 20*

Srixon ZX7 4-AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* 60*

Odyssey SL Black #7

7 minutes ago, bombs said:

These clubs exist to address technique flaws. 

Why would I want to learn how to not chip properly..?

Proper technique is required to pretty much make anything work.  

These clubs definitely help if the strike or technique is slightly off 

Same theory with irons.  Cavity back vs blades etc 

Callaway Mavrik 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w

Exotics Xrail 4h/5h

Cobra T-Rail 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

20 minutes ago, erock9174 said:

These clubs definitely help if the strike or technique is slightly off 

Same theory with irons.  Cavity back vs blades etc 

The difference beteween the Sureout and a normal wedge is absolutely nothing like what cavity back vs bladed irons are designed to achieve. 

A more accurate comparison is the Surestrike wedge. Another club designed for a single purpose - marking it hard to dig the leading edge on chip shots. 

The Sureout has a huge amount of bounce that makes it hard to dig in soft bunkers. This is all it is designed for. It is not good for anything else and will make every single other shot on the course more difficult than a normal wedge. Forget it for full shots, wet bunkers or anything with a tight lie.

If you need forgiveness on full shots the Mack Daddy or CBX wedges are useful, but most high hcp players would get better results hitting a 3/4 shot with their set PW/GW. 

Edited by bombs

Ping G410+ 9*

Taylormade M3 17*

Callaway Epic Hybrid 20*

Srixon ZX7 4-AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* 60*

Odyssey SL Black #7

Practice with whatever wedge you have.  I have a similar handicap (normally shoot 45-46 for 9 holes).  If you want to buy a new wedge go for it, but unless there's something off with the wedge and your swing (very thin sole when you're a digger, very wide sole when you're a picker, etc...) it is probably a matter of practice.

Dave

Another vote for Zipcore 56° Mid, great all-around wedge. Then consider adding a high bounce/MOI option at 60°, like CBX Full Face or Hi Toe Bigfoot.

Winter-Spring 2021

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 4W 16.5° Rogue White 70

Callaway Mavrik Pro 3Hy 20° KBS 70/80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° Modus 120

Srixon Z785 5i-AW Modus 120

Cleveland Zipcore 56.10 60.10 DG Spinner

** Putter of the week **

Another vote for the the CBX2 wedges.  My instructor uses them and pushed me toward them a couple of years ago. I initially resisted. Got one, then sold it for some PING Glides. Ended up going back to the CBX2 and they are staying in the bag.

As Cleveland said, they are designed to be similar to the cavity backed irons most of us play.  A blade wedge with a heavy shaft and feels completely different from your set doesn't make sense for a lot of golfers.  The CBX2 can have all the same finesse shots you have with a blade wedge, but have a bit of extra forgiveness that we need on full and partial wedges.

Callaway has a similar model with their Mack Daddy CB.  The PING Glide 3s are somewhat in the same vein as well.  (in fairness, my issue was that I got the PING GLIDE Eye model.  I loved the high toe design in old PING clubs I had, but just didn't like it in the Glide.)

PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48* (on order)
Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX 2 56*

Cleveland 588 Tour Action Raw 60*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Srixon Z-Star

First off i stink at most of my golf game But the short game has been the most consistent. 

I had used Cleveland tour action 900's for my first 15 yrs. I did like them for a while. 

I have since switched to Ping eye 2 + wedges. I got the yips and really like the eye 2 + square toe. 

regardless of what wedge you grab, technique and practice is everything. 

2 hours ago, bombs said:

The Sureout has a huge amount of bounce that makes it hard to dig in soft bunkers. This is all it is designed for. It is not good for anything else and will make every single other shot on the course more difficult than a normal wedge. Forget it for full shots, wet bunkers or anything with a tight lie.

I have a 56 degree Sure Out that I got just for bunkers but over the past year it has become my go-to for anything inside 90 yards. Full shots, wet bunkers that never seem to drain, tight lies and hardpan (think cheap public courses in Texas in August) - this thing is magically easy and has honestly help drop my handicap by probably 2-3 strokes. Yeah, you might not do a Mickelson impression with it but then I'm not Mickelson - I just need an easy, almost automatic way to get my ball on the green near the pin. FWIW, I also carry an SM6 for certain unique situations and it used to be my favorite club in the bag, but after getting the Sure Out it's taken over that spot and kicked out my other Jaws wedge as well. I'm sure the Sure Out wasn't meant to do what I do with it but for anything inside 90 yards it's absolute money for me.

16 hours ago, bombs said:

Oh what a shame you keep on posting bs regarding the sure out wedge. It is very versatile, from the sand, the rough and tight fairway shots.  The OP is looking for help based on facts not biased non factual opinions.