2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Has the Golf Channel and PGA Tour radio become unwatchable/unlistenable? (NO POLITICS)

CP_Circa62

3 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

Damon Hack and Jaime Diaz are not good on TV. At all. Jaime is a really good writer and maybe Hack was as well, but on TV? No.

Golf Today gets a thumbs down from me. Waste of time. The political commentary is just the icing on the cake for me to not touch that show with a barge pole. I've never understood the logic of producers who enthusiastically produce content that will anger a large segment of their viewership. Not a good business plan.

You would think that someone at GC would read these threads and take some advice.

For me Cara Webb and Anna Whitley are horrible.  I have a real difficult time understanding Cara when she speaks and what comes out of her mouth when I do understand her is not good commentary.  I don't mind what Anna says, but I have a difficult time understanding her as well.  My wife loathes them more than I do.  If they are trying to attract more female viewership with female on air talent they should hire people the general public can understand when they speak.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

5 hours ago, PhlashPhace said:

I haven't really paid any attention to the Golf Channel outside of live golf until this thread but I happened to look at the schedule and it's kind of embarrassing.  Do they play anything but old Feherty shows?

Well, they won't be playing any new ones.  It's been cancelled.

6 hours ago, Lobby said:

I agree about Justin Leonard.

I mean, where is it written that the "expert" has to comment and judge EVERY shot played by a golf pro?   I can see the blasted screen.  I can judge for myself.

Don't talk.   You're bringing nothing.

And here I am hammering Justin Leonard.   But everyone is doing it.  Heck, Lanny Wadkins is worse.   The real bad guys on this are the directors / producers.  

This is the biggest peeve I have about golf coverage.   Them trying to create drama where there isn't any.   

They need a modern day Frank Chirkinian in the production booth to tell them all to STFU.

And then he needs to return to CBS and kick them all in the balls for how bad that broadcast has become.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Now, now.

Let's all accept that the NBC people are doing their very best to make sure viewers have the best, intelligent, interesting programming of golf and not worrying in the least about getting the highest advertising revenue from the lowest production costs.

I'm sure they're all thinking about you, the viewer.

Holy crap. Did I just say that nonsense? I must have had a stroke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

21 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

They added Justin leonard like last year or so to the golf channel as a commentator during tournaments and he should stick to just playing golf. Hopefully they don't add him to the prime time coverage but he has been getting alot more tv time this year.

Justin is not good but the sad thing is that he is still better than people like Azinger and IBF. And don't get me started on Paige MacKenzie.

One of the big mysteries for me is who thought that putting Jaime Diaz on the anchor desk for Golf Central was a good idea? I think he is a fine writer, but he has almost zero skills delivering a script. It is a golf news show. You need pros to deliver it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All I can say is that if watching the Golf Channel makes you mad, you've got a lot more issues than you think you do.🙄

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

15 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Now, now.

Let's all accept that the NBC people are doing their very best to make sure viewers have the best, intelligent, interesting programming of golf and not worrying in the least about getting the highest advertising revenue from the lowest production costs.

I think you need a nap.

15 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Now, now.

Thank you for that Molly Solomon

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

On 1/15/2021 at 5:07 PM, caniac6 said:

I would like to see the PGA Tour start their own channel. It seems like NBC is trying to run the Golf Channel right into the ground. Golf Today doesn't come close to the quality of Morning Drive. It's really kind of sad what has happened to the Golf Channel.

What could possibly be different????

• Like 1

I’m okay with both...at worst, they’re better background noise than CNN or the Food Channel; at best, I get to watch and listen to live PGA Tour golf four days a week.  

These are places we golf enthusiasts can call home...are any of our  home lives perfect? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

2 hours ago, stryper said:

I’m okay with both...at worst, they’re better background noise than CNN or the Food Channel; at best, I get to watch and listen to live PGA Tour golf four days a week.  

These are places we golf enthusiasts can call home...are any of our  home lives perfect? 🤷‍♂️

Agreed...not sure why everyone’s being so hard on the Golf Channel/PGA Tour radio or why the expectations are so high.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Its not great overall.... there are no standout (in a good way) personalities to draw an audience.  The majority of the people I have seen seem to have little to no actual golf knowledge, I don't get it.  I feel like Damon Hack is the best they've got and that's not saying much.  Jaime Diaz..... please go away.  Jimmy Roberts is ok, but you can tell he just doesn't fit... IDK, the whole direction seems lost.  When they used to fill time with shows like Big Break, I mean, why go away from that!!??  Feherty wasn't bad but he was clearly trying too hard.  I guess it's tough to make golf fun, funny?  It's just sad this is the best they can do right now.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

9 hours ago, RDD said:

It seems things have gone downhill quickly since the move. At least to me, the late start, and the hosts, make it a pretty generic show. I watched, at least, part of Morning Drive every day. I enjoyed hearing from folks that actually played for a living. I think knowing the show came from a location with a lot of ties to golf made a difference to me.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, RDD said:

It would depend on who is owning the channel.  But as Breed has said, there are podcasters out there who have large numbers of followers, and are making really good money, but the powers that be at GC have no plan to actually put any content similar to that on air.  Another difference is not trying to push everything onto a golf pass type thing.  People are paying a fee for golf channel.  Why would you expect them to pay additional fees to see something like Conor Moore, or whatnot?  Yes I know they are thinking $, but how is that working out for them?  

Soloman1 would have a more detailed answer, but he isn't going to give his work away to NBC drones for free. 

1 hour ago, Bluefan75 said:

It would depend on who is owning the channel.  But as Breed has said, there are podcasters out there who have large numbers of followers, and are making really good money, but the powers that be at GC have no plan to actually put any content similar to that on air.  Another difference is not trying to push everything onto a golf pass type thing.  People are paying a fee for golf channel.  Why would you expect them to pay additional fees to see something like Conor Moore, or whatnot?  Yes I know they are thinking $, but how is that working out for them?  

Soloman1 would have a more detailed answer, but he isn't going to give his work away to NBC drones for free. 

Podcasts are a niche, but not network over the air TV.  The odd "podcaster" segment wouldn't seem to really make much difference.  The calls for giving certain podcasts a show, or random YouTube "coach" a show, etc.?  Not really going to bring in too many viewers, but definitely bring in wrxers, so we'd be happy until we turned on them in whatever thread started the minute the change was announced.

GC shows live golf, that's the main thing and I agree, ESPN/ABC/FOX/whomever would just have similar "fill" when golf isn't on and focus on $.  Honestly, I think we're lucky in a way GC has survived this move as a 24/7 golf channel (don't mention broadcasting hockey, lol) and wonder how long that is actually sustainable.

Wish it hadn't changed, but can't fight the "suits".

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Podcasts are a niche, but not network over the air TV.  The odd "podcaster" segment wouldn't seem to really make much difference.  The calls for giving certain podcasts a show, or random YouTube "coach" a show, etc.?  Not really going to bring in too many viewers, but definitely bring in wrxers, so we'd be happy until we turned on them in whatever thread started the minute the change was announced.

GC shows live golf, that's the main thing and I agree, ESPN/ABC/FOX/whomever would just have similar "fill" when golf isn't on and focus on $.  Honestly, I think we're lucky in a way GC has survived this move as a 24/7 golf channel (don't mention broadcasting hockey, lol) and wonder how long that is actually sustainable.

Wish it hadn't changed, but can't fight the "suits".

It isn't so much that a particular podcaster should get a show, but more the idea that there is success to be found out there if you are willing to try.  But the suits would rather spend 5 to make a certain 6, than to spend that same 5 and risk only bringing in 4, but giving the potential to bring in 10.  While there is some logic to that mentality, the safe also leaves you very vulnerable to fatigue, which is where I think GC is.  

• Like 1

Damon Hack is appropriately named....he's a Hack on TV, come to think of it, he's a hack when it comes to writing too.  Terrible.  I see him and instantly turn the channel.  If NBC was serious about making the Golf Channel even something resembling its former self, it would address the issue of on air talent first, then work to build some new programming.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bluefan75 said:

Watching a bit more of last night's tournament broadcast, and wondered why don't try to get Sandsy's input on the thread subject.

I'll bite - you think someone should ask him whether the Golf Channel has become unwatchable? You have his email or think Brandel is reading this?

I don't think he'd answer.

44 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'll bite - you think someone should ask him whether the Golf Channel has become unwatchable? You have his email or think Brandel is reading this?

I don't think he'd answer.

I was more making fun of John Wood referring to Steve Sands as "Sandsy" rather than Steve, as you know, most professional broadcasters do.  *

*The exception is when the nickname is so ubiquitous people wouldn't have a clue who the guy is.  I.e. Bones.  

1 hour ago, Bluefan75 said:

I was more making fun of John Wood referring to Steve Sands as "Sandsy" rather than Steve, as you know, most professional broadcasters do.  *

*The exception is when the nickname is so ubiquitous people wouldn't have a clue who the guy is.  I.e. Bones.  

LOL, got it now. But ...... that’s what Tiger calls him!

I do like this Wood guy. Sounded so much like Bones to me I didn’t notice him at first but he’s got some good quick hitter tales and doesn’t go on and on. 

Listened to PGA Tour golf yesterday around 1:30  Central time and they had two podcasters hosting a show breezing on topics of the day. These apparently young “broadcasters” were lacing their language with F*** bombs this and S*** that. Shouldn’t this be family suitable radio?

Peter Aliss must be turning in his grave. The hosts must not have had anything more intelligent to say. I am not certain which segment was being broadcast. It was just before the Saturday pregame show. If I were in charge of programming they would no longer be welcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

LOL, got it now. But ...... that’s what Tiger calls him!

I do like this Wood guy. Sounded so much like Bones to me I didn’t notice him at first but he’s got some good quick hitter tales and doesn’t go on and on. 

On SiriusXM? The point of that channel is the you have more leeway than on terrestrial radio. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna