Has the Golf Channel and PGA Tour radio become unwatchable/unlistenable? (NO POLITICS)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No one wants to listen to the "woke" BS they're pushing with their race or social justice narrative. ESPN already found that out, yet they still do it as well. People use sports to to escape every day

They're not going off the rails. They're joining the other network channels on the low road. No one wants this and they're pushing it onto people.   If you think what they are doing is wrong

Weird how we can not interject politics here (I get it) but the reason GC sucks so bad now is because they are interjecting politics.  That's it, I really have nothing to add here other than GC is goi

3 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

Damon Hack and Jaime Diaz are not good on TV. At all. Jaime is a really good writer and maybe Hack was as well, but on TV? No.

Golf Today gets a thumbs down from me. Waste of time. The political commentary is just the icing on the cake for me to not touch that show with a barge pole. I've never understood the logic of producers who enthusiastically produce content that will anger a large segment of their viewership. Not a good business plan.

You would think that someone at GC would read these threads and take some advice.

For me Cara Webb and Anna Whitley are horrible.  I have a real difficult time understanding Cara when she speaks and what comes out of her mouth when I do understand her is not good commentary.  I don't mind what Anna says, but I have a difficult time understanding her as well.  My wife loathes them more than I do.  If they are trying to attract more female viewership with female on air talent they should hire people the general public can understand when they speak.

• Like 2

I would like to see the PGA Tour start their own channel. It seems like NBC is trying to run the Golf Channel right into the ground. Golf Today doesn't come close to the quality of Morning Drive. It's really kind of sad what has happened to the Golf Channel.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Lobby said:

I agree about Justin Leonard.

I mean, where is it written that the "expert" has to comment and judge EVERY shot played by a golf pro?   I can see the blasted screen.  I can judge for myself.

Don't talk.   You're bringing nothing.

And here I am hammering Justin Leonard.   But everyone is doing it.  Heck, Lanny Wadkins is worse.   The real bad guys on this are the directors / producers.  

This is the biggest peeve I have about golf coverage.   Them trying to create drama where there isn't any.   

They need a modern day Frank Chirkinian in the production booth to tell them all to STFU.

And then he needs to return to CBS and kick them all in the balls for how bad that broadcast has become.

Now, now.

Let's all accept that the NBC people are doing their very best to make sure viewers have the best, intelligent, interesting programming of golf and not worrying in the least about getting the highest advertising revenue from the lowest production costs.

I'm sure they're all thinking about you, the viewer.

Holy crap. Did I just say that nonsense? I must have had a stroke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
21 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

They added Justin leonard like last year or so to the golf channel as a commentator during tournaments and he should stick to just playing golf. Hopefully they don't add him to the prime time coverage but he has been getting alot more tv time this year.

Justin is not good but the sad thing is that he is still better than people like Azinger and IBF. And don't get me started on Paige MacKenzie.

One of the big mysteries for me is who thought that putting Jaime Diaz on the anchor desk for Golf Central was a good idea? I think he is a fine writer, but he has almost zero skills delivering a script. It is a golf news show. You need pros to deliver it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All I can say is that if watching the Golf Channel makes you mad, you've got a lot more issues than you think you do.🙄

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Titleist 816H2 23* @ 24*
Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

15 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Now, now.

Let's all accept that the NBC people are doing their very best to make sure viewers have the best, intelligent, interesting programming of golf and not worrying in the least about getting the highest advertising revenue from the lowest production costs.

I think you need a nap.

15 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Now, now.

Thank you for that Molly Solomon

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 Hybrid 18* (DI-95X)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

On 1/15/2021 at 5:07 PM, caniac6 said:

I would like to see the PGA Tour start their own channel. It seems like NBC is trying to run the Golf Channel right into the ground. Golf Today doesn't come close to the quality of Morning Drive. It's really kind of sad what has happened to the Golf Channel.

What could possibly be different????

• Like 1

I’m okay with both...at worst, they’re better background noise than CNN or the Food Channel; at best, I get to watch and listen to live PGA Tour golf four days a week.  

These are places we golf enthusiasts can call home...are any of our  home lives perfect? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

2 hours ago, stryper said:

I’m okay with both...at worst, they’re better background noise than CNN or the Food Channel; at best, I get to watch and listen to live PGA Tour golf four days a week.  

These are places we golf enthusiasts can call home...are any of our  home lives perfect? 🤷‍♂️

Agreed...not sure why everyone’s being so hard on the Golf Channel/PGA Tour radio or why the expectations are so high.

TaylorMade SIM Max D (10.5*) / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

TaylorMade SIM Max D (16*) / UST Mamiya Helium 5F4 FW

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / Project X Hzrdus Black 6.0

Srixon Z U85 (20*) / UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4

TaylorMade P770 (4-PW) / Project X Rifle 6.0

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred (36")

🇨🇦

Its not great overall.... there are no standout (in a good way) personalities to draw an audience.  The majority of the people I have seen seem to have little to no actual golf knowledge, I don't get it.  I feel like Damon Hack is the best they've got and that's not saying much.  Jaime Diaz..... please go away.  Jimmy Roberts is ok, but you can tell he just doesn't fit... IDK, the whole direction seems lost.  When they used to fill time with shows like Big Break, I mean, why go away from that!!??  Feherty wasn't bad but he was clearly trying too hard.  I guess it's tough to make golf fun, funny?  It's just sad this is the best they can do right now.

Titleist TSi2 9* (D4) Aldila VS Proto 60x

Titleist 917f2  16.5* (C1) Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Mizuno MP H4 3i  Aldila NVS hyb 85s

Mizuno MP60 4-P KBS Tour V 120x ss1x

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52/12, 56/12, 60/8

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Snell MTB black

9 hours ago, RDD said:

It seems things have gone downhill quickly since the move. At least to me, the late start, and the hosts, make it a pretty generic show. I watched, at least, part of Morning Drive every day. I enjoyed hearing from folks that actually played for a living. I think knowing the show came from a location with a lot of ties to golf made a difference to me.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, RDD said:

It would depend on who is owning the channel.  But as Breed has said, there are podcasters out there who have large numbers of followers, and are making really good money, but the powers that be at GC have no plan to actually put any content similar to that on air.  Another difference is not trying to push everything onto a golf pass type thing.  People are paying a fee for golf channel.  Why would you expect them to pay additional fees to see something like Conor Moore, or whatnot?  Yes I know they are thinking $, but how is that working out for them?  

Soloman1 would have a more detailed answer, but he isn't going to give his work away to NBC drones for free. 

1 hour ago, Bluefan75 said:

It would depend on who is owning the channel.  But as Breed has said, there are podcasters out there who have large numbers of followers, and are making really good money, but the powers that be at GC have no plan to actually put any content similar to that on air.  Another difference is not trying to push everything onto a golf pass type thing.  People are paying a fee for golf channel.  Why would you expect them to pay additional fees to see something like Conor Moore, or whatnot?  Yes I know they are thinking $, but how is that working out for them?  

Soloman1 would have a more detailed answer, but he isn't going to give his work away to NBC drones for free. 

Podcasts are a niche, but not network over the air TV.  The odd "podcaster" segment wouldn't seem to really make much difference.  The calls for giving certain podcasts a show, or random YouTube "coach" a show, etc.?  Not really going to bring in too many viewers, but definitely bring in wrxers, so we'd be happy until we turned on them in whatever thread started the minute the change was announced.

GC shows live golf, that's the main thing and I agree, ESPN/ABC/FOX/whomever would just have similar "fill" when golf isn't on and focus on $.  Honestly, I think we're lucky in a way GC has survived this move as a 24/7 golf channel (don't mention broadcasting hockey, lol) and wonder how long that is actually sustainable.

Wish it hadn't changed, but can't fight the "suits".

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Podcasts are a niche, but not network over the air TV.  The odd "podcaster" segment wouldn't seem to really make much difference.  The calls for giving certain podcasts a show, or random YouTube "coach" a show, etc.?  Not really going to bring in too many viewers, but definitely bring in wrxers, so we'd be happy until we turned on them in whatever thread started the minute the change was announced.

GC shows live golf, that's the main thing and I agree, ESPN/ABC/FOX/whomever would just have similar "fill" when golf isn't on and focus on $.  Honestly, I think we're lucky in a way GC has survived this move as a 24/7 golf channel (don't mention broadcasting hockey, lol) and wonder how long that is actually sustainable.

Wish it hadn't changed, but can't fight the "suits".

It isn't so much that a particular podcaster should get a show, but more the idea that there is success to be found out there if you are willing to try.  But the suits would rather spend 5 to make a certain 6, than to spend that same 5 and risk only bringing in 4, but giving the potential to bring in 10.  While there is some logic to that mentality, the safe also leaves you very vulnerable to fatigue, which is where I think GC is.  

• Like 1

Damon Hack is appropriately named....he's a Hack on TV, come to think of it, he's a hack when it comes to writing too.  Terrible.  I see him and instantly turn the channel.  If NBC was serious about making the Golf Channel even something resembling its former self, it would address the issue of on air talent first, then work to build some new programming.  

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Bluefan75 said:

Watching a bit more of last night's tournament broadcast, and wondered why don't try to get Sandsy's input on the thread subject.

I'll bite - you think someone should ask him whether the Golf Channel has become unwatchable? You have his email or think Brandel is reading this?

I don't think he'd answer.

44 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'll bite - you think someone should ask him whether the Golf Channel has become unwatchable? You have his email or think Brandel is reading this?

I don't think he'd answer.

I was more making fun of John Wood referring to Steve Sands as "Sandsy" rather than Steve, as you know, most professional broadcasters do.  *

*The exception is when the nickname is so ubiquitous people wouldn't have a clue who the guy is.  I.e. Bones.  

1 hour ago, Bluefan75 said:

I was more making fun of John Wood referring to Steve Sands as "Sandsy" rather than Steve, as you know, most professional broadcasters do.  *

*The exception is when the nickname is so ubiquitous people wouldn't have a clue who the guy is.  I.e. Bones.  

LOL, got it now. But ...... that’s what Tiger calls him!

I do like this Wood guy. Sounded so much like Bones to me I didn’t notice him at first but he’s got some good quick hitter tales and doesn’t go on and on. 

Listened to PGA Tour golf yesterday around 1:30  Central time and they had two podcasters hosting a show breezing on topics of the day. These apparently young “broadcasters” were lacing their language with F*** bombs this and S*** that. Shouldn’t this be family suitable radio?

Peter Aliss must be turning in his grave. The hosts must not have had anything more intelligent to say. I am not certain which segment was being broadcast. It was just before the Saturday pregame show. If I were in charge of programming they would no longer be welcome.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

LOL, got it now. But ...... that’s what Tiger calls him!

I do like this Wood guy. Sounded so much like Bones to me I didn’t notice him at first but he’s got some good quick hitter tales and doesn’t go on and on. 

On SiriusXM? The point of that channel is the you have more leeway than on terrestrial radio. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 Hybrid 18* (DI-95X)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna