Has the Golf Channel and PGA Tour radio become unwatchable/unlistenable? (NO POLITICS)

13 hours ago, Jstate said:

Listened to PGA Tour golf yesterday around 1:30  Central time and they had two podcasters hosting a show breezing on topics of the day. These apparently young “broadcasters” were lacing their language with F*** bombs this and S*** that. Shouldn’t this be family suitable radio?

Peter Aliss must be turning in his grave. The hosts must not have had anything more intelligent to say. I am not certain which segment was being broadcast. It was just before the Saturday pregame show. If I were in charge of programming they would no longer be welcome.

Yeah... it is a No Laying Up podcast or something.  I had to change the channel.  I don't want to hear that stuff.  They are talking about JT and his slur while throwing out EF bombs.  Poor taste for me and unprofessional.  

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No one wants to listen to the "woke" BS they're pushing with their race or social justice narrative. ESPN already found that out, yet they still do it as well. People use sports to to escape every day

They're not going off the rails. They're joining the other network channels on the low road. No one wants this and they're pushing it onto people.   If you think what they are doing is wrong

Weird how we can not interject politics here (I get it) but the reason GC sucks so bad now is because they are interjecting politics.  That's it, I really have nothing to add here other than GC is goi

13 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

On SiriusXM? The point of that channel is the you have more leeway than on terrestrial radio. 

Absolutely. Once I heard Carl Paulson drop a f-bomb on a hot mic he didn't know was hot. They made mention of it but he survived. But there are limits. Take Hank Haney for example...a SiriusXM casualty.

• Like 1

Driving to work this morning and turn on PGA on Sirius XM to listen to Mike Breed.  He starts the show by talking about Martin Luther King.  MLK was a great man and worthy of the Day.  I, however, simply don't care about Mike Breed's opinion or commentary on MLK.  I do not need to be lectured about it and felt that is what he was doing.  I am turning to the PGA to listen to talk about golf.  I listened for about 30 seconds and turned to music.  After the song I listened to was over flipped back to PGA Network and he was still going on about it.  Just flipped the station right back to music.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 4

Good news is golf from Abu Dhabi will be on later this week.  Love the early a.m., problem is I think I also get it at 9:30 p.m. Central starting Wednesday and that's going to be an accident waiting to happen if I start watching and Stenson or someone I want to watch is having a good round.  Already have ultra-early morning meetings scheduled for Th/FR (can't believe I didn't check broadcast schedule before setting those up, lol), looks like a good excuse for coffee and caramel rolls, though - I'll just skip lunch, haha. 😉

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Haha 2

So Golf Today starts today with Steve Burkowski grilling Annika Sorenstam about receiving the Medal of Freedom. She was very diplomatic about it but Burkowski spent basically the whole interview trying to get her to apologize for accepting the award. Barely touched on her return to golf. The the talking heads all had to say their piece after the interview concluded. Isn’t this a GOLF show?

now going on and on about Covid. When are they going to talk about GOLF?

Edit: 15 minutes to get to golf. 

Edited by zonadub
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

16 minutes ago, zonadub said:

So Golf Today starts today with Steve Burkowski grilling Annika Sorenstam about receiving the Medal of Freedom. She was very diplomatic about it but Burkowski spent basically the whole interview trying to get her to apologize for accepting the award. Barely touched on her return to golf. The the talking heads all had to say their piece after the interview concluded. Isn’t this a GOLF show?

Since the media are running the show then you are going to get their agenda.  All the golfers with some real chops got eliminated or severely limited for a reason.

• Like 2

I tried to give it a chance.  Golf Channel or whatever it is really IS unwatchable.  It got corporate, ugly and cheesy.  And those who know me, know I don't like to bash anything.

Edited by tbowles411
  • Like 1

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

On 1/5/2021 at 6:09 PM, golf ironman said:

The new GC, while nascent, does not seem to be a turn in the right direction.  Golf Today seems a sad reminder of even the best days of Morning Drive.  It's impossible to tell who is located where, Jimmy Roberts seems the wrong guy to be a host and with Anna and Damon, it's kind of a stale imitation of what MD was.  And MD didn't finish strong in recent years.  Robert was mostly a high point, but Paige annoyed many.  This has Jaime there, Bacon and Damon seem flat, and Brandel, Trip?  Are we merging Golf Central and Morning Today.  The "programing" on the new GC seems to be relatively unimportant, and we will get lots of tournament round coverage and re-runs.  The old GC seemed a happy place.  The new sets and tone seem to have an unmistakeable corporate tone.  Probably watch some because where else are you going to go for Golf on TV.  I'll stick to Golf Sub Par and No Laying Up probs.

100% agree. It's a corporate channel now. You know what's coming given that production is now based in NYC and it's corporate NBC controlled...

21 hours ago, zonadub said:

Actually the only "talking head" to speak was Jaime and it was brief and supportive of her.

The whole purpose of the interview was her "breaking her silence", so it wouldn't be too surprising if she wanted that platform to make some public statement and move on.  Problem was, she really hadn't thought out much to say and "Burko" was pretty much winging it - should have been more carefully choreographed, IMO. So, it was awkward and she's not looking back but looking forward and "hears" whomever those people are, okay.  Not all golfers are real good with interviews and speaking - heck some of the worst sound bites ever are awkward moments from Open Championship winners/Masters winners who just won a huge event but try to force some remarks that just don't come off. Jack wasn't always very good at it. "Heart of my bottom", however, will forever remain a classic - thank you Sir Nick!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

Counterpoint - if it's part of golf sending messages of inclusiveness at whatever level or whatever it takes there are only so many ways GC can be part of that so having Ray Allen and late others on for this segment targeted at sports/racism that appears to be recurring might get someone's attention in a positive way and have unknown benefits.  Would rather see NBC/GC actually do something other than yak, so put some effort into some sort of event or something like that.  GC had some good programming on golf and history re race (can't think of the name, but I've got the book downstairs) and maybe that will resurface and run in the next few weeks - if not, then lunchtime lip service.

Edit:  Uneven Fairways was the name of the show - it was really good.

Edited by Hawkeye77
49 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Oh boy, turning it off now - off on the police and you know what. Ray Allen has some interesting things to say and his opinions are valid, they’re his opinions, but come on, now they are also shilling a podcast and going off on athletes in general and social media and dictators around the world. 

Golf anyone? 

Yes sir. I gave GC an honest try again this morning/afternoon.  “Golf Today” is simply unwatchable. Damon Hack makes me want to reach thru the TV and slap him. They did a decent job trying to articulate some optimism for JT in the wake of the recent debacle, but the rest of the program today was trite and the nonsensical interview with Ray Allen just put things over the top. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NBC Sports Network is ending by the end of this year. NHL games are moving to the USA Network. What does that mean for the Golf Channel? Some have suggested that moving at least some televised golf to Peacock isn't far behind, but doesn't ESPN have exclusive US streaming rights to the PGA Tour? 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 Hybrid 18* (DI-95X)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

On 1/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, zonadub said:

I think it was fair to ask Annika about that. She is the newly appointed President of the IGF.

Her answer wasn't great. But neither was the interview.

Edited by tannyhoban
6 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

NBC Sports Network is ending by the end of this year. NHL games are moving to the USA Network. What does that mean for the Golf Channel? Some have suggested that moving at least some televised golf to Peacock isn't far behind, but doesn't ESPN have exclusive US streaming rights to the PGA Tour? 

Per article below GC is not supposed to be impacted by NBCSN going away.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, One Putter said:

It must be really bad at the GC. Like you can tell how it's going by what commercials are on. And this one was on during live coverage of the Mutsubishi yesterday:

Holy hell.

The ratings have been atrocious for live golf so far. Threes Company reruns beat the Sony Open and only 30,000 people in the 18-49 demo watched last Sunday (h/t Shackelford). Hopefully after the NFL playoffs they can bounce back.

Ping Vault Arna

4 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

The ratings have been atrocious for live golf so far. Threes Company reruns beat the Sony Open and only 30,000 people in the 18-49 demo watched last Sunday (h/t Shackelford). Hopefully after the NFL playoffs they can bounce back.

Only 30,000 for a key demographic? That doesn't even register. A test pattern (yes, I'm old enough to remember those) would register higher. I see know why they primarily run NBC promos, what company is going to pay for this?

2 hours ago, Rangeballz said:

Only 30,000 for a key demographic? That doesn't even register. A test pattern (yes, I'm old enough to remember those) would register higher. I see know why they primarily run NBC promos, what company is going to pay for this?

Well, they do force sponsors to pay for tons of commercials. Going to be interesting for the Golf Channel to have to pay for enormous rights fees over the next decade without Tiger as millions more people cut out cable.

Ping Vault Arna

Please do something, soon! I’m already getting the creeps thinking about Bacon and Hack talking about the Masters. NBC pulled the plug on NBCSN, and a lot of it’s content will move to Peacock and USA in 2022. I would not be surprised to see Golf Channel go down the same road.

Edited by caniac6