$150 Challenge! What are you buying...

21 minutes ago, tannyhoban said:

New shoes!

My Vans are 20ish years old, but only have about 45-50 rounds with 35ish of those in the last 2 months (I didn't play as much as I will now). Problem is I can't get over some of the new shoes. Maybe I'm old school, but I like a nice but casual golf shoe.

I took the spikes out of my Mcgregor Powers and wore them to prom in '89. They looked great. 🤣

But I also can't bring myself to pay $150+ for any shoe, golf or otherwise, so that is a limiting factor.

If I could get a new pair of Vans, I'd be set.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver

Taylormade M1 3/5 wood

Nike VR Pro Combo 4-PW

Nike SV Wedge 56

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any driver with an aftermarket x-flex shaft so I can pull the shaft and sell it here for $300.

Oh, some hard to hit blades with the wrong shafts, you know, the usual

This is where I would look like a woman in a large clothing store that has everything on clearance.  I would be looking over everything. 

Posted Images

I would look for older iron sets. Years ago I found a set of Maxfli A-10 irons, the ones that went from cavity back to blade-ish, still caked in mud, for $125 or so.  What a steal!  I played them for at least a couple of weeks before re-selling them...

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green
Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/GD Tour AD DI stiff
TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro's 5-PW/Nippon Modus 105
Snake Eyes 52 gap Rifle 5.0
Corey Paul forged 56 sand Rifle 5.0

TP Mills Sycamore
Spaulding TPM VIII
MannKrafted MA/99

I'm gonna go with Maxfli Revolution Black dot irons and a Cobra F6 Baffler. Cult like clubs I've always wanted to try. 

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

13 hours ago, lefthack said:

My Vans are 20ish years old, but only have about 45-50 rounds with 35ish of those in the last 2 months (I didn't play as much as I will now). Problem is I can't get over some of the new shoes. Maybe I'm old school, but I like a nice but casual golf shoe.

I took the spikes out of my Mcgregor Powers and wore them to prom in '89. They looked great. 🤣

But I also can't bring myself to pay $150+ for any shoe, golf or otherwise, so that is a limiting factor.

If I could get a new pair of Vans, I'd be set.

Vans made golf shoes?  As a former skate rat who still enjoys following skating that sounds nice...

6 hours ago, jomatty said:

Vans made golf shoes?  As a former skate rat who still enjoys following skating that sounds nice...

I actually bought them for my son when he was in high school (found them at Ross or Marshalls on sale) but he only played once (then). So I started wearing them. I'll clean them up and post a pic.

<Edit> something like this would be nice.

PXL_20210106_164648489.jpg

Edited by lefthack
Added pic

Taylormade M3 driver

Taylormade M1 3/5 wood

Nike VR Pro Combo 4-PW

Nike SV Wedge 56

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

7 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

A set of Hogan Redlines. 

played them, PC and apex II fora decade, all with apex 4 shafts....still have my apex IIs and i go look at them and note how tiny the heads are. found the redlines, both models, to be fabulous irons. played mostly a slight cut shot with them, very fine feeling...

have always loved my hogan blade phase, but JP had a very nice, disciplined swing back then...now, older...he uses cb designs. 

jp always wanted a set of macgregor pmb irons, just so stupendously sexy. he plays pcb tours still, but coveting shiny things is his weakness

Edited by Jack Pearsall
  • Like 1
On 1/4/2021 at 3:19 PM, Mizzy10 said:

You have $150 to spend at a used golf store:

If the heads were not too beat up, I would be tempted to buy one of the following iron models:

• Ping Eye2 - oops, better ones can run close to $300
  • Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot - $150 will do it easily

(Please don't tell my wife I'm having bad thoughts!! 😮)

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Find hot cashier woman... take hot cashier on date inside store...  buy soda and jerky$10  buy her skirt and top $50 buy shoes $50 give her $40 just to try and make her love me more.  I now have a new wife. Yay. Now have 4 kids yay. Now its been 10 years i cheated she cheated... the 5th kid is not my skin color... i want divorce.. i cross road on way to courthouse... i died hit by golf galaxy 18 wheeler...wow theres golf in heaven nice!

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Find hot cashier woman... take hot cashier on date inside store...  buy soda and jerky$10  buy her skirt and top $50 buy shoes $50 give her $40 just to try and make her love me more.  I now have a new wife. Yay. Now have 4 kids yay. Now its been 10 years i cheated she cheated... the 5th kid is not my skin color... i want divorce.. i cross road on way to courthouse... i died hit by golf galaxy 18 wheeler...wow theres golf in heaven nice!

WHAT??? 😂

5 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

If the heads were not too beat up, I would be tempted to buy one of the following iron models:

• Ping Eye2 - oops, better ones can run close to $300
  • Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot - $150 will do it easily

(Please don't tell my wife I'm having bad thoughts!! 😮)

Have purchased several sets of Ping Eye2 irons for <$150 on eBay that were in good shape. Even grabbed a Becu set (5-S) in good shape for about that on eBay. 

14 minutes ago, jnbatty said:

Have purchased several sets of Ping Eye2 irons for <$150 on eBay...

You're tempting me! About four years ago, a WRX thread mentioned Eye2 irons. I chimed in, and someone sent a PM offering me a BeCu 1i through LW for $300, if I remember right. That would have been 13 clubs... If playing them, I would need to drop a club so I could fit in a putter and a driver.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

10 hours ago, Jack Pearsall said:

played them, PC and apex II fora decade, all with apex 4 shafts....still have my apex IIs and i go look at them and note how tiny the heads are. found the redlines, both models, to be fabulous irons. played mostly a slight cut shot with them, very fine feeling...

have always loved my hogan blade phase, but JP had a very nice, disciplined swing back then...now, older...he uses cb designs. 

jp always wanted a set of macgregor pmb irons, just so stupendously sexy. he plays pcb tours still, but coveting shiny things is his weakness

I have '59 Starbursts, '65 PCs, Radials and my current gamers, '99 Apex, but I've never hit Redlines and I want to know if they're really better than the '99s. 

I hardly play these days so I'm getting a set of Apex FTX for some help in the long irons. 

18 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

You're tempting me! About four years ago, a WRX thread mentioned Eye2 irons. I chimed in, and someone sent a PM offering me a BeCu 1i through LW for $300, if I remember right. That would have been 13 clubs... If playing them, I would need to drop a club so I could fit in a putter and a driver.

I found myself checking out some Eye 2+ BeCu's on ebay today! 🤣

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green
Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/GD Tour AD DI stiff
TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro's 5-PW/Nippon Modus 105
Snake Eyes 52 gap Rifle 5.0
Corey Paul forged 56 sand Rifle 5.0

TP Mills Sycamore
Spaulding TPM VIII
MannKrafted MA/99

On 1/6/2021 at 8:24 PM, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I'll spend my $150 on whatever he's drinking. Has to be the good stuff!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Go to the used Cobra section - anything more than 2 years old, and values drop like they fell off a cliff. Most underrated clubs anywhere, and bonus is that since they are so hard to sell on for a decent price, no guilt in hoarding their clubs. There'll be a set of MIM tours in my bag in 2 years 😉 so if anyone gets tired of theirs and willing to ship to Norway - you know where to find me.

Or, buy a bunch of Cleveland putters - Huntington Beach soft or the new Frontline models.

• Like 1

Cobra F7 10.5 set at 9.5 Fujikura Pro S

Cobra F6 set at 14.5 Fujikura Pro S

Cobra F7 2/3 Hybrid set at 17.5 Fujikura Pro S

Cobra ForgedTec 3 Utility set at 20 Catalyst 6.0

Callaway Apex Pro 16 4-P Recoil 110 F4

TaylorMade Hi Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey Versa 9

On 1/7/2021 at 1:12 AM, TheDeanAbides said:

I have '59 Starbursts, '65 PCs, Radials and my current gamers, '99 Apex, but I've never hit Redlines and I want to know if they're really better than the '99s. 

I hardly play these days so I'm getting a set of Apex FTX for some help in the long irons. 

well, the starbursts, the precisions and the power thrusts are all hogans JP has coveted, more just to hit them a bit, don't need to own them...has considered just ebaying a 6-7 iron of each just get at them...

the precisions/personals really are the dillio as so many irons launched off of that design it seems and he's hit plenty of mp14s in his life...the power thrusts, esp +, look really cool but the starbursts look like stuff you can use today....that hogan guy and his crew had great eyes for design, and then theyd throw a donkey out every so often...

as a side note, werent the 99's endo forged? embarrassed to say jp has never hit a 99 apex. 😞

Edited by Jack Pearsall