• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can tour is best mini tour in North America.    Best simulation of pgatour (ropes, pro AMs travel week to week staying in hotels etc) but only 5 guys break even every year.    I’d consid

Any “tour” where the check clears is a good tour. But I never went west of the Rockies, but for me in no order Dakotas Tour, Adam’s ProTour, Gateway Series/Tarheel Tour, Florida Pro Tour, West Florida

Dakotas Tour was legit. If they had a hall of fame Zoran Zorkic would have his own wing. I don’t know if anyone that won more golf tournaments than him. 

Can tour is best mini tour in North America. 

Best simulation of pgatour (ropes, pro AMs travel week to week staying in hotels etc) but only 5 guys break even every year. 

I’d consider all tours smaller then Korn Ferry a mini tour. simply because you can’t make money playing them... 

• Like 4
On 1/4/2021 at 11:49 PM, Jsp3316 said:

With so many developmental tours around the country, which mini tours stand out among the rest for competition, purses etc. 

Any “tour” where the check clears is a good tour. But I never went west of the Rockies, but for me in no order Dakotas Tour, Adam’s ProTour, Gateway Series/Tarheel Tour, Florida Pro Tour, West Florida Tour, Waterloo Open was THE event too. I like the new restructuring of the Mack and LA giving too guys promotions to KF...I’m not sure what category they fall into but I like that’s there’s a potential promotion for guys. You don’t really make bank either until you’re tops on the KF and maybe not even then tbh.

It’s a tough life, but a fun one if you can hack it haha 4 to a 55 dollar room, dollar meals at Mickey ds, playing goat tracks shooting 65-73-68 finish 20th and still lose 400 bucks on the week. Pack up the jeep and travel 6 hours for the next event and do it all over again. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, BNGL said:

Any “tour” where the check clears is a good tour. But I never went west of the Rockies, but for me in no order Dakotas Tour, Adam’s ProTour, Gateway Series/Tarheel Tour, Florida Pro Tour, West Florida Tour, Waterloo Open was THE event too. I like the new restructuring of the Mack and LA giving too guys promotions to KF...I’m not sure what category they fall into but I like that’s there’s a potential promotion for guys. You don’t really make bank either until you’re tops on the KF and maybe not even then tbh.

It’s a tough life, but a fun one if you can hack it haha 4 to a 55 dollar room, dollar meals at Mickey ds, playing goat tracks shooting 65-73-68 finish 20th and still lose 400 bucks on the week. Pack up the jeep and travel 6 hours for the next event and do it all over again. 

Dakotas Tour was legit. If they had a hall of fame Zoran Zorkic would have his own wing. I don’t know if anyone that won more golf tournaments than him. 

• Like 2

I just played with Alex Cjeka at Moon Valley CC in Phoenix for his practice round. He and Tom Lehman were both in the field for an Outlaw Tour match play championship. 

Great guy and really cool to see how a pro prepares during the practice round. Showed him a couple of good landing zones and shot shapes, along with pin placements to attack, and he delivered with a 65 in his first round. 

Alex is waiting for his Champions tour debut in late February and was playing the mini tour events in AZ to keep competitive during the down time. 

He said its his first season without a club contract and was in full testing mode with 3 different Callaway irons mixed in his set (Xforged, Apex Pro, New Apex MB, and an X22 3 iron). Circle T double bend Newport, Sim fairway, m5 driver, and 3 different TM rescue/hybrids from various years. Oban Devotion shafts in all woods. Said he had been testing PXG irons recently also. 

Saw him SMOKE an old X22 Callaway 3 iron into a 236 yard par 3 playing into the wind to 6” for a tap in. 

• Like 2
On 1/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, BNGL said:

This guy gets it.  Where the check clears.  So many tours barely have the coin to pay the players back. 

Years ago I did Coastal Carolina, Florida Sunshine, and some others as an amateur.  Didn't have a lot of money but worked as a waiter to just try it out.  Was shooting between 65 and 70 every round.  I couldn't get paid as an amateur, but after a couple of months the simple math showed even the winners were barely breaking even.  Guy named Hugh Royer III kind of dominated them back then.  Shot low 60s all the time.  Hell of a player.  Meanwhile my best was 64-66 and I would have gotten a $160 check for my efforts.  Headed home and found a real job.  Correct decision.  Serious amateur golf is more fun that scrapping on the minis, assuming you can get the right job to enjoy the career amateur travel rquirements.

Edited by Oliver Klozoff
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Oliver Klozoff said:

This guy gets it.  Where the check clears.  So many tours barely have the coin to pay the players back. 

Years ago I did Coastal Carolina, Florida Sunshine, and some others as an amateur.  Didn't have a lot of money but worked as a waiter to just try it out.  Was shooting between 65 and 70 every round.  I couldn't get paid as an amateur, but after a couple of months the simple math showed even the winners were barely breaking even.  Guy named Hugh Royer III kind of dominated them back then.  Shot low 60s all the time.  Hell of a player.  Meanwhile my best was 64-66 and I would have gotten a $160 check for my efforts.  Headed home and found a real job.  Correct decision.  Serious amateur golf is more fun that scrapping on the minis, assuming you can get the right job to enjoy the career amateur travel rquirements.

If I may, because I felt the same as you do/did about playing well and barely making money. But the whole point mini tours is developing as a player...you’re not meant to make a living playing on those tours they’re strictly supplemental and I don’t wanna say practice but that’s what they are, you’re paying to practice.

And I think part of the guys that make it through guys like Ted Potter, Tony Finau, or Keegan Bradley, good players yes but they had the belief and drive to say I’m good enough no matter how little the pay it’s not permanent. It’s just that belief in yourself to say I shot 65 today and didn’t make a check but tomorrow is coming and I’ll be ready. For me I just said, “f this I’ll still be a good golf player but I’ll make more coin doing this” and it’s more than that but idk just a weird theory I have on things it’s not just the golf that separates players it’s a mental challenge. 

On 1/15/2021 at 10:12 AM, 3whacker said:

there used to be a standing joke out here in the West to the Q : Who is the all time leading money winner on the Golden State Tour ? the answer: the promoter of the Tour (whose name I will not mention because its not nice to talk about the deceased)...but previous winners on the GST read like a who's who in PGA history

Hahaha that’s so true... Doug Ives? Heard about that...I used to play moonlights in Orlando to crash prep for events the running joke was that Frank Magee was the leading money winner every year...especially after myself and another sat down and figured out the course fee, payouts, and purse. But again, you’re not on mini tours to make money you’re there to practice and get better.

On 1/14/2021 at 6:15 PM, Oliver Klozoff said:

I worked at a course, Kings Grant in Fayetteville, that used to host some Coastal Carolina events in the early to mid 90s. One guy, Scott Medlin, actually made it through Q School, and had his card for at least a year. Jim Thorpe's brothers played on the CC tour, along with a Myrtle Beach legend Billy Glisson. 

On 1/14/2021 at 8:57 PM, BNGL said:

If I may, because I felt the same as you do/did about playing well and barely making money. But the whole point mini tours is developing as a player...you’re not meant to make a living playing on those tours they’re strictly supplemental and I don’t wanna say practice but that’s what they are, you’re paying to practice.

And I think part of the guys that make it through guys like Ted Potter, Tony Finau, or Keegan Bradley, good players yes but they had the belief and drive to say I’m good enough no matter how little the pay it’s not permanent. It’s just that belief in yourself to say I shot 65 today and didn’t make a check but tomorrow is coming and I’ll be ready. For me I just said, “f this I’ll still be a good golf player but I’ll make more coin doing this” and it’s more than that but idk just a weird theory I have on things it’s not just the golf that separates players it’s a mental challenge. 

You are certainly correct.  It's paying to practice tournament golf.  And nobody is in it for the money at that level.  We loved the game and the competition and wanted to make it to the top.  As I'm sure you did.  And short term you can find odd jobs, courses that allow free practice, etc.   But the guys that can stick it out long term usually have financial backing or family money.   Not all.  But most.  Look, I know my game wasn't good enough then and it would have have been tough to get it to the next level.  As you know having been there, you can simply tell who has it and who doesn't.  So I don't regret giving it up quickly one bit.  But the money does matter if you need to 'pay to practice' for 2+ years.   Sleeping in the car gets old really fast.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:57 PM, BNGL said:

The funny thing is 90% of the guys not breaking even think they are going to make it. Years ago, I played arena football and those guys would say the same things. Every day they would say "i'm going to make it next year." I didn't have the heart to tell them that the NFL wasn't beating the door down of 30 year old former Division 2 athletes. I'd say for every mini tour, there is one guy that can make the move up. The other 75 are just paying the tour's bills.

• Like 1

IMHO Best Mini Tours are (no particular order)

Dakotas Tour

All Pro Tour (formerly Adams Pro Tour)

Golden State Tour

Outlaw Tour

Minor League Golf Tour

Swingthought Tour

All pay decent, have pretty good fields, some pretty good courses, and great competition. 

Next best thing are the top state opens which include...

Colorado ($100k to first)

Texas ($25-35k to first)

New York

California

North Dakota

• Like 1
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]WITB[/b][/font][/size]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=3]TBD[/size][/font]
On 1/18/2021 at 7:16 AM, cardia10 said:

The funny thing is 90% of the guys not breaking even think they are going to make it. Years ago, I played arena football and those guys would say the same things. Every day they would say "i'm going to make it next year." I didn't have the heart to tell them that the NFL wasn't beating the door down of 30 year old former Division 2 athletes. I'd say for every mini tour, there is one guy that can make the move up. The other 75 are just paying the tour's bills.

Yup the best case scenario is they become an Instagram pro and make money off of clicks and selling CBD, direct to consumer golf balls and other stuff to people. Even guys like Brady Schnell on KFT are just paying bills and should become licensed in real estate or insurance.

Edited by MUNIGRIT