Most Rounds Played In a Single Year?

GoletaGolfer

2005 was a horrible year for me personally. Lots of bad stuff happening. My coping mechanism? You got it. Golf all day long, at least 4 and sometimes 6 times per week. Had an annual pass including cart so cost was a non issue. Lived in sunny weather, so I had a twelve month season.

In the summer time, when days were long, this was my daily schedule:

Round 1 - 7:00 tee time with Phil and his dad.

Round 2 - 10:30 or 11:00 with whomever was around.

3:00 to 4:00 Lunch

Round 3+ - 4:00 until can't see with best buddy Mark.

Winter time - Short days - 36 holes.

Rarely played just 18; I would have had to face my life for too many hours.

Averaging it all out ( this is my best guess, I did not keep actual track) over long and short days, etc., I played at least 500 rounds.

Kept me from jumping off a bridge.

I have had a few seasons when I played 30+ round scores filed for HDCP. In those wonderful seasons, I would also have gotten in quite a few 9-hole jaunts, and a good range session about once a week. 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Pre marriage and kids my personal high was 156 rounds. I still consider this quite an accomplishment living in New England.

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

• 2 weeks later...

The Best year was before marriage.  Over 225 rounds, including three 2-week trips to Maui where I played every day, some days, twice.  Never ever thought to count how many, but I played a great deal.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

My goal is at least 100 this year. I got about 40 rounds last year from August to December when I started playing again.

I haven't played more than a few rounds a year since college ('90). But I am taking it more seriously now, so I will be playing.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Living in New England, in general our golf season is April to mid-November. I usually play about 120-rounds per golf season. Like many, I keep a golf diary. In 2019, I played 167-rounds of golf which is the most I’ve played in any one golf season. Great weather and retirement provided the opportunity to play. 🏌️♀️

I have not gotten to play this week due to rain and will likely only get one day next week. But I've played 12 rounds this year so far so I am happy with that.

I am on good pace for 100 rounds this year.

<edit> and by "rounds" I mean trips to the club to shoot at 9 or more holes. I am usually solo playing 3 different balls.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

When I was single back in the late 80s/early 90s I probably hit 100 rounds in a year a couple/three years.  Now I am hoping for 25-30 (on second, and much better, marriage).

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I think my all time high has been around 60. Playing 27 holes a week is about perfect for me and I'm not sure I'd want to play more than that on a regular basis unless I could play the 2.5-3 hour rounds that come around so infrequently. 

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Year 2020 110 posted rounds ... probably 25 more match play/best ball tourney rounds. 3 years into marriage, baby is 14 months now. 

65% of those rounds were when the wife thought I was at “work” ... instead I was “working” on my game. 

Some say it’s wrong .. I just say I’m

L-I-V-I-N’ man! 

• Like 1

Look what this guy did.   

‘You can’t let go’: How a Myrtle Beach resident surpassed goal of 367 golf rounds in 2020

JANUARY 01, 2021 11:13 AM, 

Myrtle Beach senior plays 376 rounds of golf in 2020!

Jimmy Dean, a 75-year-old Myrtle Beach resident played his 373rd round of golf for the year at Pine Lakes Country Club on Dec. 14. Dean, who hoped to play a round of golf for every day of the year 2020, finished with 376 rounds. 
Jimmy Dean is a man of routines.

The 75-year-old Myrtle Beach resident exercises every morning, and says he has for multiple years totaling thousands of consecutive days.

This past year he set out to read the entire Bible, outlined how he was going to do it and stuck to the script, and scripture. It’s not the first time he accomplished that feat.

“I have certain things I do,” Dean said. “I’m one of those guys if you were a hit man I’d be very easy to get because I do the same thing over and over and over again. I’m kind of like a routine guy.”

But in 2020, Dean became obsessed with an undertaking that seemed unrealistic even for his compulsive nature.

The member of Pine Lakes Country Club set out to average more than an 18-hole round of golf per day for the year, and he actually hit the mark in early December with his 367th round. It was a leap year so there were 366 days in 2020. He finished the year with 376 rounds played.

Jimmy Dean received a golf bag and set of clubs from other club members to commemorate reaching his goal of playing 367 rounds in 2020. 

“Once you get into it you just can’t let go of it,” Dean said. “At my age, the biggest thing I wanted to do was complete it, so if I dropped dead the next day at least I did what I said I was going to do.”

Dean would have added more rounds late in the year but he tested positive for the coronavirus on Dec. 22 and his last round was on Dec. 19. He has had a mild case of the virus and hopes to next play on Jan. 5 if he tests negative beforehand.

“I have never been overly sick, the real pain is being cooped up,” Dean said.

A GOAL IS BORN

Dean has become a golf junkie in Myrtle Beach.

The Pittsburgh native moved to the area in 1991 after buying a small motel and convenience store with his wife, April, called the Sunset Inn, which he owned and operated until 2000 and leased to another operator until 2005.

What has he done since then? “Play golf,” Dean said. “I’ve played a lot of golf.”

In 2001 he became a member at Arcadian Shores Golf Club and bought a golf cart cover and heater, and he played 320 rounds that year despite not playing more than 18 holes per day. “I’d be out there a lot by myself. It was just nice. You can kind of relax from having a job,” he said.

He has regularly been playing 270 to 280 rounds per year for the past several years, and played a lot of golf this past January and February because it was a mild and largely dry winter, often playing 36 holes and a couple times playing 45 in one day.

When the coronavirus arrived in March he applied to fill in as a substitute teacher, which he had done earlier in life, but was not accepted.

“After that I thought, ‘Gee, what am I going to do?’ Well the days were nice and everybody got their own carts and you could play really fast,” he said.

“I keep it on the calendar and once I got to maybe May or June, my wife said, ‘You play golf almost every day, and some days you’re playing twice.’ That’s when I started figuring out, ‘You know what, I’m going to see if I can do 321.’ Once I figured I was going to get there easily, I said, ‘You know what, I’m going to see if I can do one day more than there are days in the year.”

Between May and October, Dean played approximately 40 rounds per month, and that generally included a day off per week, usually a Tuesday. So he had to play 36 holes per day about 14 days per month. To keep his pace, he had to play in inclement weather.

“After a while I don’t think there is such a thing as an impossible day to play golf,” Dean said with a hearty laugh. “I played in the rain, I played in two tornado warnings, and I played in a hurricane warning. We were dedicated to getting the rounds in.

“The craziest ones would always be when it rained real hard. Many times I was the only person out there.”

Jimmy Dean, a 75-year-old Myrtle Beach resident played his 373rd round of golf for the year at Pine Lakes Country Club on Monday. Dean, who hoped to play a round of golf for every day of the year 2020, has already surpassed his goal and expects to top the 380 round mark. 

THE ACHIEVEMENT

Dean’s body held up incredibly well to the endeavor, and he believes his dedicated exercise regimen played a large role. He has an exercise bike at his home.

“The most amazing thing to me was I went through this whole thing and never got hurt,” Dean said. “I never had to take an aspirin, never had to take an Aleve or anything like that. I think it was kind of like a brick layer, you know, you keep doing it all the time and finally toward the end you don’t even get tired from doing it. It’s almost like a job, you’re going, ‘Hey, I’ve got to get up and go to work today.’ ”

That mentality allowed him to push through days when he wasn’t excited about playing another round.

“There were times I certainly wouldn’t have [played] if I wasn’t trying to get this [mark],” he said. “I wouldn’t have been that stupid to keep going out. But it’s like one of those things you can’t let go.”

His wife may be one of the few people who isn’t surprised he played nearly 400 rounds of golf in 2020. “I think my wife has been with me long enough to know this is something I’d be stupid enough to do,” he quipped.

His handicap has gone up from a 9.5 to a 10.5 with the marathon year of golf. “I think playing in weather I wouldn’t usually play in and just losing distance as I get older, but mostly lack of talent,” he joked.

Despite catching COVID-19 and its presence throughout most of the year, Dean considers 2020 to be possibly the second best year of his life because of his accomplishments. “It sounds crazy with all this stuff going on, but I was in this little bubble over here,” he said.

It’s second only to 1965 when he was enlisted in the Navy and was involved in bringing troops to the first military landing in Vietnam. “That was something special to me and still is to this day,” Dean said.

Golf was one of the few things that remained a consistent activity in South Carolina that wasn’t limited by the state government, and because the virus deterred travel by visiting golfers, courses during the spring and fall golf seasons weren’t overrun by tourists as they normally are.

“Personally it was terrific because we got to play at really the nicest times of the year,” Dean said.

FINDING AN OBSESSION What about golf has drawn Dean to it?

“The amazing thing about golf is every shot is a new adventure, and in a day’s worth you make two or three good ones. That’s kind of what will make a day for you,” Dean said.

He enjoys the comradeship of playing with other golfers, but he has also found he enjoys what the game provides to a single player, including playing more at your own pace, practicing during a round and multi-tasking, which in his case includes dabbling in the stock market during the day, which he is want to do.

“Usually you run into somebody that’s fun to play with,” he said. “For me, I had not played golf by myself before I came down here. It was nice for me. You’d be out there by yourself and you could think real clearly, and you’ve got a phone so you can make all kinds of things like [stock trades]. And if you have trouble putting like I always do you can sit there and putt for 20 minutes if nobody’s out there.”

Playing alone also allows Dean to play in any weather conditions.

He is a member at Myrtlewood Golf Club as well as Pine Lakes, and played the great majority of his rounds in 2020 at Pine Lakes.

Some of Dean’s friends at the club presented him with a new set of clubs and golf bag once he hit the initial goal of 367, with his name and “367” stitched below it. “The whole thing turned into something extremely special for me,” Dean said.

Jimmy Dean sits in the Pine Lakes Country Club pro shop after receiving a golf bag and set of clubs from other club members to commemorate reaching his goal of playing 367 rounds in 2020. 

• Like 2

Due to medical conditions my Dyspraxia and extremely flat feet I can only manage 9-Hole rounds and I average around 7 a year but its the only form of exercise. 

2020 was a real s**t year with the UK being in lock-down for majority of it and my golf club being one of the last to reopen which drove me bloody bonkers. 

It's been 4 months since I hit a ball and won't be till at least March (Government pending) Just can't have another year like last year. 

1 minute ago, nitram said:

312 rounds in 2006 and close to that in 2007. I've been fortunate enough to play over 200 rounds per year for the past decade or so.

Jees you play more than sungjae im, lucky so and so!

• Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

I got to 76 this year and that is an all-time high for me! I don't see how I could possibly play any more!

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

• 2 weeks later...

Easily north of 250 for me back when I was 13-16.  I went 18 months+ at one point where there wasn’t a single day I didn’t practice or play.  And there wasn’t one of those days I didn’t practice putting. 

Even got the public course I grew up on to let me practice on Thanksgiving and Xmas when the course was closed.  Never missed a day.  

I’d love to be able to do that again!!