Choose where I will play in July...University Ridge, Lac Le Belle, Glen Erin or Dubsdread #4

exgolfpro

In early July, I will be taking my (now annual) vacation to Kohler Wisconsin and hope to play the great courses in that area again.  But this time, I will be travelling up by myself from Missouri (wife is travelling with her parents to meet me).  So I am looking to play a course I have not played yet on my way up.  I have been checking a few out online, but was wondering what everyone else thought.  Here is a list of a few I have been thinking about.....University Ridge outside Madison, Lac Le Belle (newly remodeled, many may not have played yet), Glen Erin near Janesville, Wi and Dubsdread at Cog Hill (chicago).  Another i've considered is Brown Deer Park in Milwaukee.  For those who have played many of these, which is the best?  If there is any others I should consider on roughly a St Louis to Milwaukee path, let me know.  Thanks.

Edited by exgolfpro

• exgolfpro changed the title to Choose where I will play in July...University Ridge, Lac Le Belle, Glen Erin or Dubsdread #4

Of those mentioned, and inside the borders of Wisconsin, I like U Ridge and Brown Deer the best.  I think Lac La Belle is a fun course, but I would give it another year to grow in and let the new holes mature.  U Ridge is a tad funky as the front 9 is a faux links layout and the back is a woodlands course.  Not saying that is a bad thing, just very different.  Brown Deer is a classic parkland style course, generally in very good condition and it will offer you a test.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I played U Ridge for the first time last fall and really liked it.  As above poster notes front 9 and back 9 have a completely different feel to them.  Front is good and the back I loved.  There is some serious elevation change in that course!

Wanted to play LLL last year but it didn't work out.

Didn't get to BD last year....typically do late in the year when the rates drop, which did not happen this year.

I play Glen Erin several times per year and thoroughly enjoy it.....it is a really good course.  Most holes have links feel to it with a few tree lined holes that sneak up on you and have an intimidating look to em off the tee compared to the other holes.

I would give UR the edge over BD, however if those don't work for some reason, GE is a good option too but isn't quite on the same level as the others.

I'd go with Dubs. Yes, it's pricey. However, it's a solid test of golf. You have to hit the ball straight, or the bunkers will chew you up. The greens are tricky, but not impossible. Miss them, and the greenside bunkers are penal. 

U Ridge is solid as well, but not in the same class as Dubs.

Have you played Erin Hills? That would be another option on the trip to Kohler.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for U Ridge. Awesome layout with excellent course conditions. I would also check out any of the Geneva National courses. Grand Geneva courses are nice as well, but I'd give the nod to Geneva National courses. I have a friend who lives in St Louis so I've driven down there a few times and Geneva Nat should be right on your route. Personally, Glen Erin would be the last on my list to play -- not that it's bad (it's quite fun) but there are many other courses on your route that are better.

If you're going to play Erin Hills, try and get my home course of Washington County in there (15 min away from each other). Voted a top 100 public golf course in America and rates are good, especially before 10am. I live about 15 min from Brown Deer and while I do enjoy it, and played it a lot the last few years for convenience sake, I would recommend the other courses on my list before Brown Deer. 

On 1/22/2021 at 8:32 AM, LeftyBobby said:

Another vote for U Ridge. Awesome layout with excellent course conditions. I would also check out any of the Geneva National courses. Grand Geneva courses are nice as well, but I'd give the nod to Geneva National courses. I have a friend who lives in St Louis so I've driven down there a few times and Geneva Nat should be right on your route. Personally, Glen Erin would be the last on my list to play -- not that it's bad (it's quite fun) but there are many other courses on your route that are better.

If you're going to play Erin Hills, try and get my home course of Washington County in there (15 min away from each other). Voted a top 100 public golf course in America and rates are good, especially before 10am. I live about 15 min from Brown Deer and while I do enjoy it, and played it a lot the last few years for convenience sake, I would recommend the other courses on my list before Brown Deer. 

Thanks for the advice.  I've been to Washington National but never played it.  Might do it this time, thanks.

I’d probably say Dub’s as well

crazy Rees Jones bunkering but I love the rolling land and the layout, especially the back nine, holes 13-18.

if you go straight up 294 from dub’s you could go play another Trent stones at Thunderhawk, closer to the Wisconsin border, or a Keith Foster which borders the state line. Which is Shepherd’s Crook, then go straight to Kohler

Speaking of Kohler, my wife and I just returned from a great weekend there to celebrate her 40th.

• Like 3

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Dubsdread is going to be used as the US Open local qualifier on May 3rd. Just another factoid.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:25 PM, geochitown said:

I’d probably say Dub’s as well

crazy Rees Jones bunkering but I love the rolling land and the layout, especially the back nine, holes 13-18.

if you go straight up 294 from dub’s you could go play another Trent stones at Thunderhawk, closer to the Wisconsin border, or a Keith Foster which borders the state line. Which is Shepherd’s Crook, then go straight to Kohler

Speaking of Kohler, my wife and I just returned from a great weekend there to celebrate her 40th.

Yes, we love it there.  My wife and I went there on a whim about 7 years ago and we now go back every summer for our vacation.  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 7:35 PM, exgolfpro said:

In early July, I will be taking my (now annual) vacation to Kohler Wisconsin and hope to play the great courses in that area again.  But this time, I will be travelling up by myself from Missouri (wife is travelling with her parents to meet me).  So I am looking to play a course I have not played yet on my way up.  I have been checking a few out online, but was wondering what everyone else thought.  Here is a list of a few I have been thinking about.....University Ridge outside Madison, Lac Le Belle (newly remodeled, many may not have played yet), Glen Erin near Janesville, Wi and Dubsdread at Cog Hill (chicago).  Another i've considered is Brown Deer Park in Milwaukee.  For those who have played many of these, which is the best?  If there is any others I should consider on roughly a St Louis to Milwaukee path, let me know.  Thanks.

alittle farther to go but what about Lawsonia Links?  Great track.

I don’t want to speak for exgolfpro, but I think he has played lawsomia and many of the good tracks around Kohler 

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

On 1/6/2021 at 10:35 AM, exgolfpro said:

I would highly recommend Dubsdread. Played it in October. Great test of golf, with great green and surrounding bunker complexes. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip