Stock vs Upcharge Exotic Shafts

I might be opening up another can of worms here.

As my handicap is getting lower and lower, I now begin to actually feel the difference in tighter dispersion pattern, stability, gain in distance and better feel with some of the up-charge exotic shafts such as Fujikura Ventus VeloCore, Graphite Design Tour AD series and etc.

I used to be one of the skeptics but now I have converted over to exotic shafts and really feel their benefit.

Would like to hear your experience and thoughts about this?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can feel the difference in some of the more expensive shafts but the shot performance doesn't standout for me and my game.  For that reason, and the fact that I'm cheap, I try to cap shaft spending

Probably.  But what's wrong with that?  As long as people are willing to keep it civil and respectful and stay open minded,  a few worms wont hurt anyone.       It's certainly ve

The shaft is usually more important to me than the head.   A good shaft will help promote good, consistent contact, provide a penetrating ball flight, tight dispersion, and many other import

Posted Images

I can feel the difference in some of the more expensive shafts but the shot performance doesn't standout for me and my game.  For that reason, and the fact that I'm cheap, I try to cap shaft spending at $100 max (driver and fairway.)  Iron shafts are more like $45/each.  There is zero chance I'd ever follow the advice of some "fitter" and dump $300+ on a shaft.   

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

Old GDI YS6 and Pershing are superb and Smooth,not expensive.As for Irons, i have just cut my dgr300 too std length,were 3/4 inch over.So im rebuilding back to Standard Spec so too speak.Will shorten two wedges also, by 1/4 and 3/8 inch so its all incremental.16100012976535736233075640332349.jpg.f2ad509602788cceef1d19086e571a4e.jpg

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

11 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Probably.  But what's wrong with that?  As long as people are willing to keep it civil and respectful and stay open minded,  a few worms wont hurt anyone.

As my handicap is getting lower and lower, I now begin to actually feel the difference in tighter dispersion pattern, stability, gain in distance and better feel with some of the up-charge exotic shafts such as Fujikura Ventus VeloCore, Graphite Design Tour AD series and etc.

I used to be one of the skeptics but now I have converted over to exotic shafts and really feel their benefit.

It's certainly very important that one finds a good fit for the shaft - for both shaft weight (#1) and the stiffness profile (#2).   For many the stock shaft may not be a good fit and should move to an aftermarket shaft.   BUT ....

1) there are still some people for which the stock shafts will be a good fit.  Those folks wont see any benefit moving to an after market shaft.

2) For those that do find that aftermarket shafts are a better fit,  for each $300+ shaft they find is a good fit for them, if they take the time and effort, most am's will be able to find a much less expensive shaft ($60 - $200) that fits and performs just as well as the more expensive ones.   I personally have never had to pay more than $150 for a shaft in the last 20 years and even that one was a bit on the high end for me.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Im a firm believer that you wont see much difference in the two unless you have higher swingspeeds. That being said, one thing aftermarket “exotic” shafts offer is tighter tolerences and consistent quality build. Stock is usually made and china, with less quality controls and specs can be pretty far off from shaft to shaft.

• Like 1

I only play aftermarket shafts and have for a long time.  It doesn't make sense to buy something off the rack and hope and pray it works when my ss and trackman numbers don't fall in line with most golfers.  I'd rather spend a little more to get a shaft that specifically fits me or I'm throwing strokes away on the course. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Like others have stated, use whatever works for YOUR swing. Years back when i started to take golf more serious and really improve my consistency, i went through a pretty thorough bag fitting. It was a real game changer for me, and when i realized just how significant finding the correct shaft was. I think players that are very smooth tempo and don’t load the shaft super hard probably won’t notice such a major difference. Aftermarket shafts don’t always have to be expensive to work well for you either. But once you develop consistent swing characteristics, going through a good fitting and trying a bunch of different options will help determine certain shaft profiles that work/ don’t work for you. If you are fit into a particular shaft you then could search for a used version to save $. I am more of a “hitter” than a super smooth swinger of the club, and getting a shaft that was correct weight, flex, and length really made a massive difference in that first fitting. 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* w/GD Tour AD TP 7x

Callaway Apex hybrid 18* w/GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Callaway X Forged UT 21* w/PX6.0

Callaway X Forged 5-PW w/PX6.0

Titleist SM7 50F, 54S, Callaway MD4 58X w/PX6.0

Toulon Austin w/Stability Tour shaft

Srixon Z Star XV 

On 1/7/2021 at 4:53 AM, Red4282 said:

Im a firm believer that you wont see much difference in the two unless you have higher swingspeeds. That being said, one thing aftermarket “exotic” shafts offer is tighter tolerences and consistent quality build. Stock is usually made and china, with less quality controls and specs can be pretty far off from shaft to shaft.

I completely agree with this first statement. For swing speeds under 100 mph, quality cheaper shafts have been just as effective as the more expensive variety. I’m talking Aldila NV, PL Blue, some of the Speeder line, etc. I just don’t create enough spin on the ball to require the kind of expensive materials and designs that are more beneficial to the higher-speed swingers. Hitting a ball slightly offline 240 yards doesn’t go as far into the trees as someone hitting it 295 offline 😅

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green
Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/GD Tour AD DI stiff
TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro's 5-PW/Nippon Modus 105
Snake Eyes 52 gap Rifle 5.0
Corey Paul forged 56 sand Rifle 5.0

TP Mills Sycamore
Spaulding TPM VIII
MannKrafted MA/99

Play whatever brings you comfort or joy but don’t equate exotic shafts as a precursor to exotic skill or an automatic indication of skill.

Not all ‘stock’ shafts are created equally.  Ping shafts are excellent - their Tour Pros sometimes use their stock shafts.  Some older TM and Callaway shafts were quite poor.  Most modern stuff seems to come with ‘real deal’ shafts now anyway.

I just demoed a TSi3 fairway with an AD-DI.  Felt great and results were good.  I have sufficient disposable income for the ‘upcharge’ but it simply wasn’t $270 better than the no upcharge Tensei.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 1

917D2 9.5 w/S+

2 x TS2 @ 16.5 and 21

2 x 818 H1 @ 22 and 26 w/AD-DI 95

ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW - Modus 105

SM7 50-12, Vokey Forged 56-12K, SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

11 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

Play whatever brings you comfort or joy but don’t equate exotic shafts as a precursor to exotic skill or an automatic indication of skill.

Not all ‘stock’ shafts are created equally.  Ping shafts are excellent - their Tour Pros sometimes use their stock shafts.  Some older TM and Callaway shafts were quite poor.  Most modern stuff seems to come with ‘real deal’ shafts now anyway.

I just demoed a TSi3 fairway with an AD-DI.  Felt great and results were good.  I have sufficient disposable income for the ‘upcharge’ but it simply wasn’t $270 better than the no upcharge Tensei.

This petty sums up my findings, but I felt the DI slightly edged out the Tensei white in control for me so I splurged. Honestly the AD TP I bought off eBay in my previous Titleist driver might make it’s way back in, as that feels the best to me, but I certainly don’t hit it dramatically better than a free option. Golf is a game of inches and sometimes the 6 inches between your ears matter most.  Most fittings determine multiple good fits, so if one is exotic and you think it will help then go for it. 

No one can factually answer your question. Everyone here, including myself, is giving you their opinion and/or experience. There are people who think any shaft over $100 is a marketing scheme and created by evil rich people who just want your money. There are people who think that anything under $300 is as crooked as the plumbing under your sink and needs to be PURE'd in order to perform. Then there are people who sit right in the middle of those two groups. 

There are reasons why premium shafts cost more than non premium shafts. The materials used in the premium shafts are expensive and sometimes difficult to acquire. There also was a lot of R&D to build those shafts. Is there "value" in those premium materials? Yes is the answer, but the definition of value changes from one golfer to the next, so some will say no. 

I just went through a fitting with a 13 year old golfer who was using a hand me down driver from dad with the stock Tensei Orange shaft. After working with him for a little bit we saw drastic performance gains with a Ventus Red (aftermarket version). There were 6 shaft in all that competed for the top spot and the Ventus was miles ahead of 2nd place. Does this mean they spend $350 on the Ventus to get those performance gains and is that "value"? The mom and dad are the only ones that can truly answer that. How much time does this golfer spend golfing? Do they play in tournaments or for their school team? Is this something they want to pursue and are passionate about? And finally, is $350 within the budget? All of those need to be answered. 

It's possible, very possible for a golfer to play great golf with stock gear. However, it's very possible and likely the golfer will play better with fitted gear. Higher price doesn't directly relate to better performance. But there are places where prices can indicate materials and quality that can be translated into performance. 

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 8:33 PM, hypergolf said:

I personally find that if I can get the bend profile of a shaft and fine another that is very close with the torque I prefer, I go that route. However, there's lot's of folks out there trying exotic stuff and then selling it for short money cause they didn't like it. Most of the time they didn't even get the club balanced for them before they toss it out. No shaft works without the proper weighting.

BT

Mizuno ST180 10.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 70 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno JPX 850 3w 14.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 43"
Mizuno JPX 850 7w 19.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize