OK, convince me to or not to paint the interior of my condo. 2 bed, 2 bath, about 1000 sq feet. It will be totally empty or at least mostly empty. I am handy but I am not overly patient.

Should I save the $$ and do it myself or should I just hire someone? Nothing complicated. Just white paint. There will need to be some patching of holes that were from hanging pictures, etc.

Anyone with experience doing this? How long would it take me to knock it out vs a pro?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have to ask......hire it out.   Anyone can spread paint on a wall, a painter is worth their fee.      

A pro can have it done in 2-3 days but will cost you a few grand. You could probably get it done in the better half of a week without experience. Generally a random visitor probably won’t be able to t

The painting itself isnt the bad part, it is the taping off of trim/carpet/etc that sucks a big one. I painted our laundry room (admittedly not a very big space), and it took me easily twice as long t

A pro can have it done in 2-3 days but will cost you a few grand. You could probably get it done in the better half of a week without experience. Generally a random visitor probably won’t be able to tell the difference but you will see the flaws and if inspected with a critical  eye most people would be able to tell a non professional did the job. 

• Like 1

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

8 hours ago, marmaduk said:

A pro can have it done in 2-3 days but will cost you a few grand. You could probably get it done in the better half of a week without experience. Generally a random visitor probably won’t be able to tell the difference but you will see the flaws and if inspected with a critical  eye most people would be able to tell a non professional did the job. 

Agree 100% with this. Bottom line also is what is your time worth? If you live in the North (cant golf now)and have the time give a go.

I painted my entire house from top to bottom, every room. When i bought it , it was 25yrs old and had never been updated, green walls, Pink walls etc....Horrendous. We renovated the entire place. 

There was a 3 month period where i owned a condo and my house, so every night from 6pm to 10pm or so i would go to my house and paint the walls, by myself. I'd listen to podcasts while doing it since our internet hadn't been set up yet.

Took me over a month haha, probably closer to 2. But it was a lot of fun. If you invest in stuff like edgers and good rollers you can do a pretty good job. 

I wouldn't pay someone to do it if i had the time. It's also a pretty good workout frankly

my first condo was 800sq feet. I painted that whole place too. You can probably bang it out in a couple of days if you work like 8am to 6pm

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/ Diamana D+ 95
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

I've painted lots myself.  I've also hired painters to do the job and I believe that they are well worth the money.

Painting is easy, but like golf you can play the game, but to be good at it is quite something else.  It all comes down to what is important to you.  We had our place painted before we moved in two years ago; 1275 sq ft bungalow for about $3K and they were done in 3 days!  Beautiful job including any necessary surface repairs ahead of time.  Compare that to me painting my garden shed this past summer which took two of us three days plus over $300 of materials to cover a 8x8 shed.  We took our time to do a nice job and there was a lot of prep involved as it had a very rough stain job on it, but you could still tell that amateurs did it rather than pros.  No comparison really.

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

WS D7 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Jetspeed 25°

TM Speedblades 6-AW

TM ATV 56°

Huntington Beach #6/Odyssey White Hot RX #1/Rossa Tourismo #3

What a timely thread!

My wife and I are prepping our house for sale, and in the interest of saving some extra funds I decided to update the paint throughout the house. With a few gallons left to acquire I'm about $250 into the project, and plan to be in the whole thing for less than $500. I'm working from home and doing walls in phases to spread it out, but so far it's been a lot of fun. We figured if our next home needs updating, we can invest in professionals then if the job is big. 

Prep is the worst, but taking the time to wash the walls with TSP or something similar makes  a huge difference in how your coats lay, and I would also recommend not skimping on paint. I've got some cheapish Home Depot stuff for all the trim and windowsills but for walls, going with a Benjamin Moore or Sherwin can make a lot of difference. In some cases you'll end up saving in the long run, if a better quality paint requires less coats to look good. 

Also to OP: make sure you pick the right sheen level for the rooms you're painting, it can make a big difference. 

Edited by GooseHook

"In Transit, Arriving Late"

Flash SZ 17°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

4 hours ago, Phireside said:

Haha, every time i'm convinced to do it myself, someone comes along and says hire a painter and every time I'm convinced to hire someone, i'm told to do it myself!

People are funny.  We all think our time is worth a certain amount, especially when we're working.  Yet, when you ask someone for a quote to do a job for you, many just stand there agog at the price.  I can do that.  I'm not paying him or her that much to do that!

The thing is that we can do a lot of those types of jobs, but the truth is that we don't do them very well and we don't do them efficiently.  It takes us too long and we will waste material.  If you're using expensive materials you might just find that it doesn't cost much extra to hire a job done well if you do it poorly and waste product due to mistakes.

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

WS D7 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Jetspeed 25°

TM Speedblades 6-AW

TM ATV 56°

Huntington Beach #6/Odyssey White Hot RX #1/Rossa Tourismo #3

I’d say do it yourself if you will move there or rent it out. I painted our house when we bought it, 1500 sq ft. As stated above, the prep is the hardest part. I painted all of the walls in 2 days. Took me 3 days to wash the walls, prep, tape off, etc.  The base boards and finishing work plus any touch ups took another day. 

if you are selling do the right thing have a pro do it, even though most homes are selling without an inspection or any concessions right now. Just respect your buyer’s money and hire a pro. 

Knocked out the first room this week, and I'm quite proud of the results. Buying a high quality brush makes cut-in infinitely easier, and as always the prep is the worst part. IMO it was the hardest room, with a ton of complex spaces and lots of trim to get around, and I'm glad I masked off most of the areas to make sure the lines were clean.

@golfandfishing, I do totally agree with the sentiment about respecting buyers' money. However, even in my own home (my wife bought it before we met) I'm noticing a slew of casual workmanship issues that I have to correct now, like tens of visible nail holes that I have to patch and prime before painting. And having looked at a handful a homes on the market, it's obvious that the majority of renovators do NOT respect the buyers. The market is flooded with a lot of crappy flip jobs that show great in photos but look appalling in person. With money being tight for a lot of people right now, everyone has to make their own informed decision. 

DIYers can strike a balance by truly investing in the tools and materials for their own work, and taking their time. My wife thinks I'm crazy but aside from golf I've been stuck at home for 10 months and this is the first time I've felt sane in quite some time. 

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

6 minutes ago, GooseHook said:

Knocked out the first room this week, and I'm quite proud of the results. Buying a high quality brush makes cut-in infinitely easier, and as always the prep is the worst part. IMO it was the hardest room, with a ton of complex spaces and lots of trim to get around, and I'm glad I masked off most of the areas to make sure the lines were clean.

@golfandfishing, I do totally agree with the sentiment about respecting buyers' money. However, even in my own home (my wife bought it before we met) I'm noticing a slew of casual workmanship issues that I have to correct now, like tens of visible nail holes that I have to patch and prime before painting. And having looked at a handful a homes on the market, it's obvious that the majority of renovators do NOT respect the buyers. The market is flooded with a lot of crappy flip jobs that show great in photos but look appalling in person. With money being tight for a lot of people right now, everyone has to make their own informed decision. 

DIYers can strike a balance by truly investing in the tools and materials for their own work, and taking their time. My wife thinks I'm crazy but aside from golf I've been stuck at home for 10 months and this is the first time I've felt sane in quite some time. 

Hey man it sounds like you are committed to doing a good job, that’s respectful on all fronts!  

1 hour ago, GooseHook said:

For your prep work did you paper as well as just tape off? What brushes did you buy?

53 minutes ago, Phireside said:

For your prep work did you paper as well as just tape off? What brushes did you buy?

I have a Purdy 3" Clear Cut angled brush for pretty much all the cut in work. Trim work is done with that as well as  a 2" Wooster Short Cut. 4" and 9" roller- if you wash them properly you do not need a ton, and can complete your job with the same equipment. 

A putty knife and a 5-in-1 are tools you might already have, but if you don't, get them. They are essential to have around. 

Prep work is multi-tiered.

1. The visible nail spots are getting repaired with Sheetrock compound- make a little crater with a 5-in-1 tool and then smooth over with the compound. This works with nicks in the wall from people and furniture banging them up.
  2. Some of the walls are quite dirty, I'm washing those with TSP. 
  3. Patches get sanded, then spot primed. If a wall is particularly rough or brand new, it's best to sand the entire wall with a pole sander. I'm going over existing paint and minimizing sanding, since I'm going for two coats. 
  4. Tape up wherever you are not comfortable cutting in by hand- in some cases you can even caulk your lines to get them super clean. With a good brush and some practice, you will probably find tape unnecessary in most cases. 
  5. Cut, roll, cut, roll.
  6. Don't paint with lots of coffee in you

This might be the single best reference I've found for painting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUxz_or2Qs

• Like 1

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

You can go to any hardware store in the paint aisle and find a lot of good stuff. There's a lot of really helpful tools that are kind of idiot proof.

"Rollers" for edges are lifesavers (https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/p/GUS12G323?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA) . They are these rectangle shaped things with wheels at the top that you can use to roll paint along the edges of walls. You only need to tape the ceiling because what will happen is paint will eventually get in the wheels and then go on the ceiling, so you can either tape it or be prepared to have to touch up parts of your ceiling close to the walls

It's a good idea to have some interior flat white paint on hand in case you DO mess up your ceiling you can just touch it up. 

For screw/nail holes i always just did it with like drydex type plaster and some sandpaper. 

Honestly just rollers and edgers i did my whole house and it looks as good as any other house i've gone to. 

One thing i will say....Write down the color, brand, and finish of every paint you use. 

you don't want to have a situation where 2 years from you mess something up and can't match it

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/ Diamana D+ 95
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

I just finished re-painting our master, the bathroom and also did the master cabinets. I remembered how much hate painting. 
It’s like changing your own oil. Sure you can do it yourself, but it’s messy, takes too long, and is well worth whatever it costs to have someone else do it instead. 

Edited by JackpotJohnny
On 1/15/2021 at 11:00 AM, GooseHook said:

I have a Purdy 3" Clear Cut angled brush for pretty much all the cut in work. Trim work is done with that as well as  a 2" Wooster Short Cut. 4" and 9" roller- if you wash them properly you do not need a ton, and can complete your job with the same equipment. 

A putty knife and a 5-in-1 are tools you might already have, but if you don't, get them. They are essential to have around. 

Prep work is multi-tiered.

1. The visible nail spots are getting repaired with Sheetrock compound- make a little crater with a 5-in-1 tool and then smooth over with the compound. This works with nicks in the wall from people and furniture banging them up.
  2. Some of the walls are quite dirty, I'm washing those with TSP. 
  3. Patches get sanded, then spot primed. If a wall is particularly rough or brand new, it's best to sand the entire wall with a pole sander. I'm going over existing paint and minimizing sanding, since I'm going for two coats. 
  4. Tape up wherever you are not comfortable cutting in by hand- in some cases you can even caulk your lines to get them super clean. With a good brush and some practice, you will probably find tape unnecessary in most cases. 
  5. Cut, roll, cut, roll.
  6. Don't paint with lots of coffee in you

This might be the single best reference I've found for painting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUxz_or2Qs

With the day off yesterday, I worked about 6 hours and completed about half of my first level. For anyone still thinking about doing it themselves, a couple more learning notes I had:

1. Do not tape your ceilings, buy the best brush you can get for cut ins. Tape will show wear marks on your ceiling.

2. On ceilings, it is almost inevitable that you will hit a spot or two with a wet knuckle. Expect to at least keep some ceiling paint around for touch ups (even if it wasn't part of your work scope). 

3. Always expect two coats unless you are adding a color on a clean wall with little/no patches. Patches and primer will seemingly always flash through a bit on the first coat, and paints that advertise one coat coverage seldom do so.

4. The first time you paint a wall, you will not use enough paint when cutting in. Don't be shy. If you are used to cheapo paint brushes, it's hard to grasp how much paint a truly loaded good brush can hold. 

5. It's okay to take breaks every few hours, and probably a good idea to wash your tools before those breaks. Modern latex paint dries really freaking fast and it will eventually gum up on you. 

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

On 1/15/2021 at 4:31 PM, MtlJeff said:

You can go to any hardware store in the paint aisle and find a lot of good stuff. There's a lot of really helpful tools that are kind of idiot proof.

"Rollers" for edges are lifesavers (https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/p/GUS12G323?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA) . They are these rectangle shaped things with wheels at the top that you can use to roll paint along the edges of walls. You only need to tape the ceiling because what will happen is paint will eventually get in the wheels and then go on the ceiling, so you can either tape it or be prepared to have to touch up parts of your ceiling close to the walls

It's a good idea to have some interior flat white paint on hand in case you DO mess up your ceiling you can just touch it up. 

For screw/nail holes i always just did it with like drydex type plaster and some sandpaper. 

Honestly just rollers and edgers i did my whole house and it looks as good as any other house i've gone to. 

One thing i will say....Write down the color, brand, and finish of every paint you use. 

you don't want to have a situation where 2 years from you mess something up and can't match it

I'm finishing my basement right now... and basically doing everything for the first time.  This guy is a gem! Between him and Sal the tiler from New England, I'm slow but getting it done.

10 hours ago, GooseHook said:

With the day off yesterday, I worked about 6 hours and completed about half of my first level. For anyone still thinking about doing it themselves, a couple more learning notes I had:

1. Do not tape your ceilings, buy the best brush you can get for cut ins. Tape will show wear marks on your ceiling.

2. On ceilings, it is almost inevitable that you will hit a spot or two with a wet knuckle. Expect to at least keep some ceiling paint around for touch ups (even if it wasn't part of your work scope). 

3. Always expect two coats unless you are adding a color on a clean wall with little/no patches. Patches and primer will seemingly always flash through a bit on the first coat, and paints that advertise one coat coverage seldom do so.

4. The first time you paint a wall, you will not use enough paint when cutting in. Don't be shy. If you are used to cheapo paint brushes, it's hard to grasp how much paint a truly loaded good brush can hold. 

5. It's okay to take breaks every few hours, and probably a good idea to wash your tools before those breaks. Modern latex paint dries really freaking fast and it will eventually gum up on you. 

What paint brand/model are you using? I got the paint codes for my place and they used what seem like cheaper quality paint as would be expected for relatively new construction. I'm at a point where I'm going to do all or almost all the walls with new paint and brand. I'll try to get them to match based on codes as best as possible but I won't have chips before I buy the paint. Getting started as soon as they hand the keys over.

I'm looking at getting Benjamin Moore Regal Eggshell

1 hour ago, Phireside said:

What paint brand/model are you using? I got the paint codes for my place and they used what seem like cheaper quality paint as would be expected for relatively new construction. I'm at a point where I'm going to do all or almost all the walls with new paint and brand. I'll try to get them to match based on codes as best as possible but I won't have chips before I buy the paint. Getting started as soon as they hand the keys over.

I'm looking at getting Benjamin Moore Regal Eggshell

We are using the same, in eggshell, the local ACE carries it and it’s a very good product. You can use their phone app to get color matches- it’s not perfect but very close in testing. Honestly, from some of the feedback I’ve seen, the very expensive lines in all brands may tend to dry too fast and give you inconsistent results if you do not work with multiple people,

for trim and ceilings, the Behr from Home Depot is perfectly fine though if you want to save a few. 

• Like 1

MP-20 MMC  5-P, PX 6.5
SM7 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

22 hours ago, JackpotJohnny said:

I just finished re-painting our master, the bathroom and also did the master cabinets. I remembered how much hate painting. 
It’s like changing your own oil. Sure you can do it yourself, but it’s messy, takes too long, and is well worth whatever it costs to have someone else do it instead. 

I’d rather change the oil on 20 cars than paint one room. 

• Like 1