2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Flynn Golf Shafts with TaylorMade heads

MRx747

I haven't used it on a TM head but have on a Cobra F9. I think it is fine but my kid found more success with a ladies or senior shaft. I think if the kid is <9 years old and swing speed closer to 60-70, it should be fine and the convenience of ordering the adaptor and already cut to size etc is really worth it. 

My son  just turned 7last week, just started using the ping Prodi g set.  Shaft on driver and fairway wood were to long, so got Flynn alto shafts at uskg length for his height put on. He loves them, getting 15+ yards extra vs uskg ultralight driver/fairway wood. Not sure how much heavier the TM heads are than the prodi g heads, but the Flynn shafts are a nice step up from the UL uskg shafts. 

On 1/6/2021 at 9:43 PM, Kcct82 said:

Yes, Flynn shafts or adult shafts depending on swing speed.

Flynn offers softer shafts than adult’s.

Flynn is light in weight, but not extreme like some of the adult offerings (Grand Bassara/Air Speeder). 

I'll disagree on the weight. When I had mine in first adults shafts I ordered flynn. Seemed to be fine for a while but then got my hands on an recoil had it cut same grip. The Flynn was around 10+ grams heavier if my memory is correct. I wouldn't even say its any softer than a recoil. However at their cost and quick service its an easy way to test heads and shafts out. Especially if you can find them on ebay. 

1 hour ago, darter79 said:

I'll disagree on the weight. When I had mine in first adults shafts I ordered flynn. Seemed to be fine for a while but then got my hands on an recoil had it cut same grip. The Flynn was around 10+ grams heavier if my memory is correct. I wouldn't even say its any softer than a recoil. However at their cost and quick service its an easy way to test heads and shafts out. Especially if you can find them on ebay. 

That’s what I’m saying, just didn’t word it well.

Flynn shafts are light in weight, but some of the adult offerings are even lighter and more extreme in weight savings. 

I weighted and built a few shafts last year, but don’t have the exact numbers anymore. 

27A54735-C58A-4FA0-BC8A-BA86D60566C7.jpeg

• Like 1

I personally think the Prodi g shafts are light and really good, not sure if they are better or worse than Flynn offerings

My son's Air Speeder R3 comes in the mail today, and that weighs in at 40.5g.  I'm looking forward to seeing the differences between that, the Bassara Lite (43g) and Cobra Jr (46-49g??) stock shaft.

2 hours ago, Icamp10579 said:

And which would you say are the lightest? I’ve heard a lot of young juniors play the grand bassara as a light option? 

Grand Bassara was the lightest, but all adult shafts in the 40-45g category will end up pretty much the same after you shorten them to kids’ length as Darter pointed out above. We didn’t really see much difference in total distance between the shafts, but GB felt the smoothest to swing according to my kid. 

READY-TO-PLAY FLYNN GOLF VT MAX | Junior Golf Clubs Shafts Grips (flynn-golf.com)

You can get the adaptors installed ready to play by flynn and pretty reasonable. I don't have experience with the newer Flynn Driver Shafts but UST Mamiya makes these shafts so I am guessing they can't be all that different than Recoils but just my opinion. My daughter uses Flynn VT Alto iron shafts and they are not all that soft, they play pretty stable but that is just my opinion. 

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

Took the kids down to Big Shots today to get some swings in, as well as to see how the new Air Speeder r35 ladies shaft panned out on the Flightscope XL.

My son seemed to get on well with the shaft, picking up 2-3 MPH on his swing over the old Cobra Jr shaft.  He's now where he was with the UL 54" in May--topping out at 66 MPH.  He was getting the club around well, even when he "experimented" by not choking up and swinging it at full 39" length.  I still haven't put the weights back in, and may leave them out for now.

It was my daughter's first day swinging after hurting her wrist/hand with a bad dig with a 6i in a wet fairway--so I told her to take it easy.  She proceeded to top and shank the majority of her swings for the first half-hour there, before her pride kicked in and she started swinging close to full-speed.  She clocked 69 and change a couple of times with my son's driver, her best with the F9 by a couple MPH. She touched 67 and change with her driver, which is also an F9 but has the Bassara Lite shaft.  Her swing was a bit of a mess until the end of the session because she was tentative and rusty, but the end was pretty encouraging. 

It was also her first go with the LA Golf Reign Ladies 40 shaft/f9 hybrid combo, and the results were a little incomplete but it seems like an appropriate slight step up from the Prodi g she just handed down to her brother.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 2:45 AM, MB19 said:

I personally think the Prodi g shafts are light and really good, not sure if they are better or worse than Flynn offerings

My son's Air Speeder R3 comes in the mail today, and that weighs in at 40.5g.  I'm looking forward to seeing the differences between that, the Bassara Lite (43g) and Cobra Jr (46-49g??) stock shaft.

Please update...

Thanks!

11 hours ago, MRx747 said:

Please update...

Thanks!

We had the chance to get to Big Shots, where they have a Flightscope XL in every bay, and we were able to get some numbers.  I forgot to have the stats emailed to me, but I was able to remember a bit of the vital info.

In short, The Air Speeder R3 Ladies shaft has enabled my son to outdrive his sister consistently both at the Big Shots and on the course yesterday.  He was topping out at 66+ MPH with the shaft, up from 62/63 with his Cobra Jr shaft.  My daughter was able to reach 69+ MPH with his 39" F9/Speeder combo, and only topped out at 66 with her 40" F9/Bassara Lite combo.  It was her first time swinging a club in six weeks due to a hand injury, so she could likely reach 70 mph with the Air Speeder the next time she tries it.

On the course yesterday, My son was driving 130-135 with his new combo--a nice uptick in yardage from the Cobra Jr shaft.  I will likely get one of these shafts for my daughter soon.  Dispersion was similar to the Bassara Lite, which is good.

I don't know how reliable the spin rate is on the Flightscope XL, but two of my son's drives dipped below 1800.  I don't know if that is accurate or sustainable, but I was pretty shocked.  We never did better than mid/high 2000s with the Cobra Jr shaft, according to that Flightscope.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, my 8 year old hit about 50 balls with the Sim Max 2 yesterday paired with the Flynn golf Alto shaft, it’s 2.5 inches longer than his current Flynn driver, his last swing speed was about 60ish a couple months ago, don’t think it increased much if at all.

He averages about 105-115 carry with the Flynn at the range, during tournaments with his TP5x he gets up to 120-125, honestly no idea if it’s the ball, or hitting off a real tee is whats making the difference, anyways after about 10 swings with the Sim2 max set at +2 loft, the carry is about the same, aside from the quiet impact sound compare to the Flynn driver head, I think the biggest difference was the miss shots, with the Sim2 Max everything was within 30 yards left to right, he normally slices off a couple good ones that every 30 balls, I will pay more attention to this his next few range sessions. Next thing I notice was the roll, definitely a lot more roll. I think the Flynn was about 15-20 yards roll most time, we saw a few that roll close to 150 a few even pass 150. 

My 10 year old should be getting his SimMax this coming week, his swing speed is much higher at around the high 90’s, I check back in after he get a few swings in.

My 10 year old got his SIM MAX for a couple of days now, and the difference is much more noticeable, with his Flynn Golf driver he was getting 135 carry and about 160 total, with the SIM MAX on a flynn golf shaft, 145-150 carry on the average have seen a few 160's but the ROLL after is incredible, easily 40-50 yard roll, the difference is insane, his last checked swing speed was in the high 90's, he got a tournament coming up that he will test his new driver with, hoping for a much better score with his new added distance off his driver.

2 hours ago, MRx747 said:

My 10 year old got his SIM MAX for a couple of days now, and the difference is much more noticeable, with his Flynn Golf driver he was getting 135 carry and about 160 total, with the SIM MAX on a flynn golf shaft, 145-150 carry on the average have seen a few 160's but the ROLL after is incredible, easily 40-50 yard roll, the difference is insane, his last checked swing speed was in the high 90's, he got a tournament coming up that he will test his new driver with, hoping for a much better score with his new added distance off his driver.

High 90’s KMH?

If you sacrifice swing speed to get the distance, you are making a mistake putting him in that head at that age.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 10:21 PM, MRx747 said:

Hello everyone, my 8 year old hit about 50 balls with the Sim Max 2 yesterday paired with the Flynn golf Alto shaft, it’s 2.5 inches longer than his current Flynn driver, his last swing speed was about 60ish a couple months ago, don’t think it increased much if at all.

He averages about 105-115 carry with the Flynn at the range, during tournaments with his TP5x he gets up to 120-125, honestly no idea if it’s the ball, or hitting off a real tee is whats making the difference, anyways after about 10 swings with the Sim2 max set at +2 loft, the carry is about the same, aside from the quiet impact sound compare to the Flynn driver head, I think the biggest difference was the miss shots, with the Sim2 Max everything was within 30 yards left to right, he normally slices off a couple good ones that every 30 balls, I will pay more attention to this his next few range sessions. Next thing I notice was the roll, definitely a lot more roll. I think the Flynn was about 15-20 yards roll most time, we saw a few that roll close to 150 a few even pass 150. 

My 10 year old should be getting his SimMax this coming week, his swing speed is much higher at around the high 90’s, I check back in after he get a few swings in.

I'm looking at doing same for my 8 yr old with the Flynn shaft using a Mavrik Max head.  Did you do anything using weight kits to reduce the weight of the Driver head or leave as is? 

Edited by phillyspecial
  • Sad 1

On 1/31/2021 at 8:01 AM, heavy_hitter said:

High 90’s KMH?

If you sacrifice swing speed to get the distance, you are making a mistake putting him in that head at that age.

I just came back from a Regional event that included many of the top 8 yr olds in the US.  Every single one had an OEM head in a jr shaft.  All their coaches/fitters/parent all wrong?  

4 hours ago, phillyspecial said:

I just came back from a Regional event that included many of the top 8 yr olds in the US.  Every single one had an OEM head in a jr shaft.  All their coaches/fitters/parent all wrong?  

YES!!  If they are sacrificing speed.

You want them in the heaviest combination of shaft and head where speed isn't sacrificed.  Otherwise, it is a huge mistake.  This isn't fitters or coaches doing this, it is parents.  

They do it for two reasons:

1.  So they can say little Johnny is swinging the new Sim 2.

2.  They get Johnny another 10 yards.  The draw back to that 10 yards is slower or delayed development down the road to speed.  All so an 8 year old can gain 10 yards?  Stupid.

I would question any Fitter (a fitter would not do this) or Coach who did it as not knowing what they are doing.  Lord knows most of the parents don't know what they are doing, that is why there are 100's of these threads saying the same thing.  

Here is one.... 

"I'm looking at doing same for my 8 yr old with the Flynn shaft using a Mavrik Max head.  Did you do anything using weight kits to reduce the weight of the Driver head or leave as is?"

Cobra Junior Driver

Ping Prodigy

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, phillyspecial said:

Here's a thought--the top 8-year-old boys in the country have played more golf, have a more polished swing, and have more constant coaching than the typical 7 or 8-year-old with a parent on this thread asking about driver advice.  Not to say it is entirely the worst thing for all those elite boys to be swinging the latest OEM head/jr shaft combo, because no group should be treated as a monolith.  That said, it seems what @heavy_hitter said likely carries water for many of the other 98% of junior golfers out there.  To judge what is good for the development of most of the young golfers out there by what the elite players have in their bag sounds similar to the reaction of golfing adults do when they see guys on tour raking with the latest blades or Xstiff-shafted driver. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MB19 said:

Here's a thought--the top 8-year-old boys in the country have played more golf, have a more polished swing, and have more constant coaching than the typical 7 or 8-year-old with a parent on this thread asking about driver advice.  Not to say it is entirely the worst thing for all those elite boys to be swinging the latest OEM head/jr shaft combo, because no group should be treated as a monolith.  That said, it seems what @heavy_hitter said likely carries water for many of the other 98% of junior golfers out there.  To judge what is good for the development of most of the young golfers out there by what the elite players have in their bag sounds similar to the reaction of golfing adults do when they see guys on tour raking with the latest blades or Xstiff-shafted driver. 

I disagree 100%.  This only reason this topic would even occur to you (vs standard jr club options) is if your kid is a) played TONS of golf b) getting consistent coaching and c) competing in stroke play events at local/regional/national level and holding their own.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, phillyspecial said:

I disagree 100%.  This only reason this topic would even occur to you (vs standard jr club options) is if your kid is a) played TONS of golf b) getting consistent coaching and c) competing in stroke play events at local/regional/national level and holding their own.  

We will have to agree to disagree. 

This topic could easily occur if you are a parent familiar (plays occasionally, watches the Masters every year but maybe nothing else kind of familiar) with the golf world, but unfamiliar with junior golf. 

This topic could easily occur if said parent saw an advanced kid at the range or at the course with a Maverik head on a Flynn shaft, and thought--this is what the good kids use, so I should start my kid out in it.  If the parent is a baseball parent, for example, the logic seems ok because why wouldn't their son have the latest, greatest Easton?

This topic could also occur if said parent got advice from a parent of an advanced golfer (maybe not elite, but perhaps hitting puberty) on what clubs to get their little Johnny who is 8.  Little Johnny is a good little athlete, so why shouldn't he be able to do what the older kid is doing as long as it doesn't *seem* too big or heavy for him?

People get ideas from lots of different sources, and in lots of different ways they can validate.  That doesn't mean these sources are right-headed, but these sources do exist.  The strict parameters you placed upon where parents can only get ideas for putting their kid in advanced gear at an early age are pretty confining.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phillyspecial said:

Spoken like someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

I have a daughter that played D1 college golf.

Have a teenage son that will play college golf. 

I have already been through and made the same mistake with my son that you are going to make with yours.  Unless they are big enough and strong enough to swing it without reducing any swing speed, it is a mistake.  It makes no difference if they gain 10 yards if they swing speed is less.  Overall and future development more important than immediate results.  It took 2 years to get my kids swing speed back to where it should have been because the driver combination trained his brain to swing slow.

I did an experiment with a friend that frequents WRX.  He sent me a video of his kid.  I told him "The driver is too heavy.  He will hit his 3W further."  He thought I was crazy.  He didn't have a 3W, but had a 17 degree fairway.  He took his kid to the course and what do you know, he hit the 17 degree just as far because he could swing it faster.  A 3W would have gone further than that driver.

When is the time to move kids to OEM clubs?

7 or 8 Never

9  Maybe depends on how big and strong they are.

10  Probably a good time for the woods or to look at it.

11  More than likely a good look at all of the clubs.

12  Sure

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MB19 said:

This topic could easily occur if you are a parent familiar (plays occasionally, watches the Masters every year but maybe nothing else kind of familiar) with the golf world, but unfamiliar with junior golf. 

This topic could easily occur if said parent saw an advanced kid at the range or at the course with a Maverik head on a Flynn shaft, and thought--this is what the good kids use, so I should start my kid out in it.  If the parent is a baseball parent, for example, the logic seems ok because why wouldn't their son have the latest, greatest Easton?

This topic could also occur if said parent got advice from a parent of an advanced golfer (maybe not elite, but perhaps hitting puberty) on what clubs to get their little Johnny who is 8.  Little Johnny is a good little athlete, so why shouldn't he be able to do what the older kid is doing as long as it doesn't *seem* too big or heavy for him?

People get ideas from lots of different sources, and in lots of different ways they can validate.  That doesn't mean these sources are right-headed, but these sources do exist.  The strict parameters you placed upon where parents can only get ideas for putting their kid in advanced gear at an early age are pretty confining.

You guys really should listen to those of us who have gone down that path. Buying OEM clubs for a you kid is enormous waste of money and extremely hard to do correctly.

You can go ahead and fit a kid to a maverick driver.  If you get it right after spending hundreds on trial error fine you did a good job.  The problem is in 3 months that driver will be completely wrong.

An extra 10 -15 yards or what ever you get doesn't matter.  The yardages are just short chances are they can hit the green in two or most likely miss and have to chip anyways.   You not doing you kid a favor if they use driver and wedges all the time either. 

Concentrate on chipping and putting that is what wins events as they get older anyways.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tiger1873 said:

Concentrate on chipping and putting that is what wins events as they get older anyways.

First of all we all agree that the only people that care about any kid winning is that kid and the parents. It just doesn’t matter until later. Secondly, chipping and putting helps kids win when they’re young, not older. The older kids that are winning are making birdies by increasing their GIR from longer and longer distances. There’s a strong correlation between top earners on tour with SG Approach that has already been discussed ad nauseum. SG putting is so razor thin at the higher ranks that the difference in a good round and a great round simply comes down to “getting hot” for a day or week. You’ll often hear that winners made 100+ feet of putts in a day they had a great round but statistically those numbers are not sustainable. Hit the ball closer from further away and you’ve got something 

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

2 hours ago, MB19 said:

A baseball bat is a great analogy.  I am in that business and understand them.

A HS BBCOR bat are all drop 3's.  That means if the bat is 33" the weight is 30 oz.  If the bat is 32" the weight is 29 oz.

Not all bats are made the same from even one manufacturing line.  They will all make a bat that is end loaded.  An end loaded bat is for the big burly 6'3" first baseman that creates a lot of speed.  The end loaded bat is a power hitter bat pure and simple for the guys that have no problem getting the end through the strike zone.

Manufacturers will then make a balanced weight bat where they will distribute the weight evenly with less of the weight at the end.  Why do they do this?  To give a little guy that doesn't create enough swing speed a chance to get the end of the bat through the strike zone faster.

Same thing happens in golf.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2