PXG 0811 XF GEN2 DRIVER or Ping G425 Driver or PXG 0811 X+ PROTOTYPE DRIVER

I do not have access to PXG where I can go into a fitting. If anyone has played or bought these, can you provide some insight what you found that you liked or disliked about these 3 drivers and which did you prefer to buy?  I know everyone has different opinions etc but is the Prototype driver that much better than the gen 2 driver and is the Ping G425 better than either?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a high fader, so I had 9* in all of them (except the Proto X+ which is only 10.5).   I would say the XF is not high launching, but the XF 9* does launch about 1* higher than the X 9* (s

the general consensus is that the PXGXF gen2 is the most forgiving driver ever made, as it has the highest MOI measurement ever. the reason not many people play it is because it's pretty short compared to the competition, and it's feel is... lacking.

Mavrik SZ TD - Diamana x'17 50S

PXG 0317x gen2 19* hybrid - MMT 80S
PXG 0211 4-SW - MMT 80S
Edison Forged 55*, 59* - MMT 105TX
Golo3 2014 - Pokéball weights
My swing: "something resembling a wet noodle" - My Boss.

I play the proto X with ventus blue and its as long as anything on most swings....but the sim with ventus blue has another gear compared to it when hit perfectly. Sim seems to have a very tiny hot spot that nothing can compete with. I cant find it consistently, but when I do its 15 yards past EVERYTHING. 

Took my dad for a pxg fitting over thanksgiving. He went g400max to 0811X+ and picked up 4mph ball speed and 11 yards carry.

PXG proto drivers are the real deal speed wise. I wouldn’t look at Gen 2 for distance alone. Fitting the right head/shaft to your spin rate is everything. I can hit my proto/ventus blue combo at 14* launch and 2000 spin consistently with mid-high 160s ball speed. No other driver has been that consistent on launch/spin/speed for me. 

In fairness, I havent hit G425, but physics says Ive maximized my potential unless I find some speed training first.  

It is interesting to see the statements about the Gen2 XF being so much shorter. I've seen that on several reviews and even on the PXG site itself.

I did a LOT of launch monitor testing between the Gen2 X and XF, and the Proto X and X+ with several shafts. I did find the G2XF to be about 1-2 mph less in ball speed on average compared to the other 3. Distance difference was 7 yards max to an average of 3-4.

For me, the XF is the one definite keeper. It is very forgiving and really wants to go straight.  I do think the Proto is a slightly better head in terms of performance, especially with the bigger adjustability with weights if you need that, but I think the Gen2 has a slightly better sound/feel and look. I owned all 4, and I've ended up with the Gen2 XF in the bag, and a Gen2 X back up. If I get to play/practice more, I might go to the X with a longer shaft to get another 5-10 yards on more open courses.

56 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

It is interesting to see the statements about the Gen2 XF being so much shorter. I've seen that on several reviews and even on the PXG site itself.

I did a LOT of launch monitor testing between the Gen2 X and XF, and the Proto X and X+ with several shafts. I did find the G2XF to be about 1-2 mph less in ball speed on average compared to the other 3. Distance difference was 7 yards max to an average of 3-4.

For me, the XF is the one definite keeper. It is very forgiving and really wants to go straight.  I do think the Proto is a slightly better head in terms of performance, especially with the bigger adjustability with weights if you need that, but I think the Gen2 has a slightly better sound/feel and look. I owned all 4, and I've ended up with the Gen2 XF in the bag, and a Gen2 X back up. If I get to play/practice more, I might go to the X with a longer shaft to get another 5-10 yards on more open courses.

What loft do you play in the XF?  Do you find it generally low launching (where you might loft up, say go with 10.5*), or high launching (where you might loft down, say go with 9*).  Thx.

Callaway B21 9* Driver, Aldila Rogue White MSI 130 60 S
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 5 and Epic Flash 7 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M3
Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 Hybrid, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
Wilson Staff C300 Forged Irons 5-GW, KBS Tour 105 S
PXG 0311 SW (54*/14) and LW (58*/12), TT Elevate Tour S
Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

16 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

What loft do you play in the XF?  Do you find it generally low launching (where you might loft up, say go with 10.5*), or high launching (where you might loft down, say go with 9*).  Thx.

I am a high fader, so I had 9* in all of them (except the Proto X+ which is only 10.5).

I would say the XF is not high launching, but the XF 9* does launch about 1* higher than the X 9* (standard weight locations) in my testing.

I'd pick the loft you like normally in the XF.  I might consider going to the 10.5 in the X because you could adjust the weights (and the hosel setting of course) to bring that one down.

• Like 1

It depends on your swing. X+ for upward angles is attack versus the X which is for neutral to downward. 

XF is super forgiving, if you want a fairway finder while only losing 5-7 yards, that can be the ticket. I would say more people will get more strokes gained with the XF, especially if you set it up for fairway finding... 43 to 44", 11.5 to 12 degrees, D5-D7

14 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

I am a high fader, so I had 9* in all of them (except the Proto X+ which is only 10.5).

I would say the XF is not high launching, but the XF 9* does launch about 1* higher than the X 9* (standard weight locations) in my testing.

I'd pick the loft you like normally in the XF.  I might consider going to the 10.5 in the X because you could adjust the weights (and the hosel setting of course) to bring that one down.

Thanks.  Especially with the reduced pricing, I'd prefer to get fitted by a PXG fitter if I were going to go with a PXG driver, rather than grasping at head, loft and shaft.  Tough right now with winter setting in here in NJ.  And these do pop up pre-owned from time to time, so if I get that impulse, helpful to have some frame of reference. 

Callaway B21 9* Driver, Aldila Rogue White MSI 130 60 S
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 5 and Epic Flash 7 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M3
Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 Hybrid, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
Wilson Staff C300 Forged Irons 5-GW, KBS Tour 105 S
PXG 0311 SW (54*/14) and LW (58*/12), TT Elevate Tour S
Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

I would go through a fitting process. Gather your numbers. Capture attack angle, this is something PXG designed the Protos around and I expect them to launch 0811 Gen 3 drivers with this same thought. What you can do with that data is talk to a fitter over the phone. It's pretty cool service. This might be a solution for you. And, have your numbers from the other drivers you mentioned handy. 

On 1/8/2021 at 9:29 AM, Feelingofgreatness said:

It depends on your swing. X+ for upward angles is attack versus the X which is for neutral to downward. 

XF is super forgiving, if you want a fairway finder while only losing 5-7 yards, that can be the ticket. I would say more people will get more strokes gained with the XF, especially if you set it up for fairway finding... 43 to 44", 11.5 to 12 degrees, D5-D7

I was fit for the X, and have a very slight upward angle of attach, essentially neutral.  I was told the X only comes in 9* because it is for a neutral to upward swing, while the X+ only comes in 10.5 for added loft for the downward attack angles.  Maybe I misheard or go bad info...

Just now, miss0033 said:

I was fit for the X, and have a very slight upward angle of attach, essentially neutral.  I was told the X only comes in 9* because it is for a neutral to upward swing, while the X+ only comes in 10.5 for added loft for the downward attack angles.  Maybe I misheard or go bad info...

Its the opposite of what you said.  The X is for downward attack angles (less spin in the head design) and the X+ is for the guys that hit up (this head creates a little more spin).

DriversPXG Proto 0811x (10.5) / Fujikura Ventus Blue "Patriot Edition" 6s w/Velocore
Fairway:  Cobra F6 Baffler (16) / Project X Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) / Aldila Tour Blue 85s
Irons:  Cleveland UHX (5), Srixon Z565 (6-Aw) / Recoil 110 F5
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore (54/12) / Nippon Modus 115w
Wedge:  TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9Ht (Custom)

Coming Soon: Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom)
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9

9 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Its the opposite of what you said.  The X is for downward attack angles (less spin in the head design) and the X+ is for the guys that hit up (this head creates a little more spin).

Interesting, okay.  I must have mis-heard or mis-remembered then.  I do remember her saying I was a spin machine for all my clubs, woods, hybrids, and wedges.  Needed to strengthen lofts on irons too to bring spin down to a reasonable level (was hitting ballooning shots with old Cobra SGI irons).

Yeah, that makes sense.  When I got fitted I tried both the Proto X & X+....the X was spinning about 400-500 rpms less and going about 12 yds longer on average.  We didn't spend too much time hitting the X+ as the fitter said it could never be as good as the X for me.

DriversPXG Proto 0811x (10.5) / Fujikura Ventus Blue "Patriot Edition" 6s w/Velocore
Fairway:  Cobra F6 Baffler (16) / Project X Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) / Aldila Tour Blue 85s
Irons:  Cleveland UHX (5), Srixon Z565 (6-Aw) / Recoil 110 F5
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore (54/12) / Nippon Modus 115w
Wedge:  TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9Ht (Custom)

Coming Soon: Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom)
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9

Yeah, I hit the X+ a few times, and she said the same thing, the X was going to be much better for me.  We had on a shaft I was hitting 280s with but a fairly wide dispersion.  Switched to a CB shaft and suddenly dispersion was like nothing I had every seen before - shot after shot in about a 15-25yd window.  It was almost 10 yards shorter on average (think my MAX was 274 if I remember right, I was bouncing between a 106 and 108 mph clubhead speed) but I will take that tighter dispersion window anyday.

I am coming from a SLDR... which was 260 on a good day, but even slight mishits were "where the heck is that thing going..."  This driver has been a marked improvement.  

Last year I got fit a CC, and wasn't happy with the experience.  The guy puts me in a $375 upgrade shaft (VA Vylyn, or something like that) without even saying anything to me, in a TM SIM.  Rings me up at the end and the Driver alone was almost $1,000 after tax.  "Are there other shafts?"  "Well you hit that one the best, your fitting time has ended, so we cannot re-hit.  We could just get you the factory standard shaft if you want to save some money."  I was really upset and just paid for the fitting and left.

PXG talked to me upfront about pricing, goals, etc.  I got this driver for $365 in the fall and my HZRDUS shaft wasn't an upgrade fee.  We even hit a CB shaft that was an upgrade fee and I didn't hit it any better.  PXG won a customer here for that.  Saving that money allowed me to also do the Gen1 0211 irons when they were on sale.  Not to mention I think I hit this better (on the indoor simulator) better than I hit the Sim at that fitting -- although being a year apart, different locations, etc. who knows what is all at play there.

TL/DR - Really happy with the PXG Proto X, and even more pleased with the money saved versus the competition.

Edited by miss0033