Srixon ZX series starting to arrive...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just received my ZX5 this morning. Ordered a ZX Utility 23 Degree but did not arrive as part of this shipment. I did however get the ZX 3 Hybrid.   Specs I ordered were:   -2 FLAT

No 6 iron? That’s going to create a big gap 😜😜😜

Like Yasmine Bleeth and Nicole Eggert had a love child on the bay watch set. 

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

Any chance you have the Tour V 120x info?

Nope 

Handicap (Arccos calculated):  4.7

Current Bag:
Big Dog: Cobra SZ Pars\Stripes, Ventus Blue 6s

FW: Ole Blue

Hybrids: TM 2 Rescue, Cobra f7 
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: TM EF 50, PM Grind 58\64

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: TP5x for now

On 1/17/2021 at 4:39 PM, TravAz said:

I had literally the exact same experience. I was swinging a 7i 88mph on trackman with a Srixon rep fitting me. We worked into the PX LZ 6.5 and nothing could beat the numbers - they were perfect. Ironically the top pick for me from the Mizuno Optimizer was PX LZ 5.5, which I hated the feel of, and I am not sensitive to feel really at all (to dumb to know better, I just swing em). Anyway I was very confused until I stumbled onto this chart. The LZ 6.5 slots in right between a normal PX 5.5 and a C-Taper R+, so they really aren't that "stiff" just a 6.5 relative to the rest of the LZ line. 

i0skfxaox3lo.png

What is this chart sorted by? The table makes no sense....

Callaway Mavrik TD 9* VENTUS BLK 6
Titleist TSI 15* VENTUS BLK 7
Titleist U500 2 GD DI
Grindworks MB 101A PW-4 DG TI
Titleist Vokey 51*, 56*, 60* DG TI
Tour Rat Proto 

On 1/17/2021 at 4:39 PM, TravAz said:

I had literally the exact same experience. I was swinging a 7i 88mph on trackman with a Srixon rep fitting me. We worked into the PX LZ 6.5 and nothing could beat the numbers - they were perfect. Ironically the top pick for me from the Mizuno Optimizer was PX LZ 5.5, which I hated the feel of, and I am not sensitive to feel really at all (to dumb to know better, I just swing em). Anyway I was very confused until I stumbled onto this chart. The LZ 6.5 slots in right between a normal PX 5.5 and a C-Taper R+, so they really aren't that "stiff" just a 6.5 relative to the rest of the LZ line. 

i0skfxaox3lo.png

Callaway Mavrik TD 9* VENTUS BLK 6
Titleist TSI 15* VENTUS BLK 7
Titleist U500 2 GD DI
Grindworks MB 101A PW-4 DG TI
Titleist Vokey 51*, 56*, 60* DG TI
Tour Rat Proto 

1 hour ago, Gohigh said:

After gaming the 585s, I was certain next version would be the 7 Series due to its size and feel. But after comparing the new ZX5 and ZX7, the difference in look kinda narrowed and feel also improved with the ZX5, so I figured I would go with a friendlier profile. The plan is to get 7 iron on down in ZX7 this summer so that I can make a combo set when I get to play more than two rounds a week. From now to then however, my swing is in hibernation mode so wanted some protection from misses. Not that ZX7 isnt already a forgiving club, but what science says vs. what my eyes see are two different things when it comes to confidence.

Makes sense, thanks for the rundown. Once our local shops re-open here I’m going to try them both out and see which is the best fit. I game TM Tour Preferred right now which are pretty unforgiving blades, so I’m guessing I’d be fine with the ZX7’s from everything I’ve read...but a little extra distance and forgiveness with the ZX5 doesn’t sound bad at all either. Maybe I’ll end up doing a combo set too with the ZX5 in 4-7 and the ZX7 in 8-PW like I have now with the Tour Preferred (4-7 MC, 8-PW MB).

Callaway Mavrik (10.5*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Mavrik (15*) / Rogue White 130 M.S.I.

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / Hzrdus Black 6.0

Srixon Z 785 (4-PW) / N.S. Pro Modus Tour 120

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred (36")

🇨🇦

it sounds like from what everyone is saying that have hit both the x5 and x7 is that they are very similar. 

Sounds like the x7 feels a little softer while the x5 flies higher and longer, both both are close in terms of forgiveness and shape. Is that correct?

Callaway Rogue Driver MMT 60s
Callaway Epic 3 Wood Kiyoshi Gold 75s
Callaway
Super Hybrid Recoil Dart F3 75H

Srixon 765 Irons Modus 105s
Cleveland Zipcore Wedges Tour Issue Spinner Wedge
Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 putter
Callaway Chrome Soft X Ball

🇱🇷

1 minute ago, ob1soccer said:

it sounds like from what everyone is saying that have hit both the x5 and x7 is that they are very similar. 

Sounds like the x7 feels a little softer while the x5 flies higher and longer, both both are close in terms of forgiveness and shape. Is that correct?

I’d agree with that, the x5 is a little more forgiving 

23 minutes ago, youngun87 said:

I can't find the original post now. Pretty sure @Howard_Jones posted it over in the WRX Club Techs section. 

Handicap (Arccos calculated):  4.7

Current Bag:
Big Dog: Cobra SZ Pars\Stripes, Ventus Blue 6s

FW: Ole Blue

Hybrids: TM 2 Rescue, Cobra f7 
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: TM EF 50, PM Grind 58\64

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: TP5x for now

20 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

I play to an 8, with my irons being my weakness.  The 5's were noticeably more forgiving for me.  Obviously, the better your swing is to hit the sweet spot, forgiveness becomes closer between the 5's and 7's.  Feel, sound and spin were quite different between the two.  Highly suggest hitting both if you are debating between them or wanting a combo.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 - Ventus Blue 
Titleist TSi2 3 Wood - Tensei White
Cobra F7 5/6 - UST Chrome
Ping G20 23
Ping i500 5-GW
Vokey SM8 54D & 58K 
Custom Bobby Grace

11 minutes ago, Ryan19jwu said:

😂😂 I think I’m going to use baywatch characters to describe all golf products going forward. It’s very relatable. 

i think its a great reference and will help us tremendously in the future

Callaway

🇱🇷

6 minutes ago, par4bmw said:

I play to an 8, with my irons being my weakness.  The 5's were noticeably more forgiving for me.  Obviously, the better your swing is to hit the sweet spot, forgiveness becomes closer between the 5's and 7's.  Feel, sound and spin were quite different between the two.  Highly suggest hitting both if you are debating between them or wanting a combo.

That is great to know, thanks for the information. Cant wait to try them outside once the weather gets better here in New York. But sounds like our iron game is similar and I don't hit the sweet spot every time. I guess for someone that hits their irons better maybe the 2 clubs perform the same? Since they look so much alike it sounds like i could use the extra forgiveness in the 5's, thx

Callaway

🇱🇷

I think you’ll be surprised by the forgiveness in the 7. I’m in the same ballpark as you guys and that zx5 was too long for me to make gapping work into my hybrid and 3w. About 5-700 less spin and more ball speed. I’d maybe look at the 5i in a zx5, but the 6 would need some weakening to play. 

4 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

So I have seen a few people mention it and I agree, while both look very similar you can see some of the cavity at address of the zx5 in the 4i/5i but it blends well so it isn't super noticeable. To me both appear smaller overall to their respective predecessor but maybe its the finish. Seems to be more brushed than chrome, which I like. Honestly I was a little put off by the PW but thats being nit picky. 

i have a 585/785 combo going 4/5 585 and 6-pw 785 and I'll probably do the same if I go Srixon. The 585 are so easy to hit it outta be illegal. If the zx5 is similar with better feel to me its a no brainer to combo. 

Titleist TSi3 Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 14.5 Ventus Blue 7x
Ping G410 19H Tensei Blue TX
TBD

Cleveland Zipcore 52MID/56LOW/60MID

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Stealh, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0

1 minute ago, drvrwdge said:

So I have seen a few people mention it and I agree, while both look very similar you can see some of the cavity at address of the zx5 in the 4i/5i but it blends well so it isn't super noticeable. To me both appear smaller overall to their respective predecessor but maybe its the finish. Seems to be more brushed than chrome, which I like. Honestly I was a little put off by the PW but thats being nit picky. 

i have a 585/785 combo going 4/5 585 and 6-pw 785 and I'll probably do the same if I go Srixon. The 585 are so easy to hit it outta be illegal. If the zx5 is similar with better feel to me its a no brainer to combo. 

The is correct about the cavity regarding the 4/5 ZX5, but it’s not so substantial. I’m getting rid of my 4/5 ZX5 just because I prefer the feel of the ZX7. 

16 minutes ago, likmonster said:

The is correct about the cavity regarding the 4/5 ZX5, but it’s not so substantial. I’m getting rid of my 4/5 ZX5 just because I prefer the feel of the ZX7. 

So you dont think the forgiveness between the two makes enough difference to trump feel?

Titleist TSi3 Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 14.5 Ventus Blue 7x
Ping G410 19H Tensei Blue TX
TBD

Cleveland Zipcore 52MID/56LOW/60MID

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Stealh, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0

13 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

So you dont think the forgiveness between the two makes enough difference to trump feel?

Guess you can say it's a matter of preference, the feel on the ZX7 is amazing. The ZX7 is not that punishing on off centered hits. For sure the ZX5 in longer irons is more confidence inspiring. I've already decided to order the 4/5 in ZX7 to replace my ZX5.

45 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

There are differing opinions on this and where you fall depends on your needs desires.  I fall  thusly:

I hit my irons pretty well for a 3-5 hdcp with a full time job and gain little from horizontal perimeter weighting so long as the COG is sufficiently pulled away from the hosel as it is on virtually all irons designed in this century.

I have non-WRX swingspeed and benefit from help with launch once loft gets to roughly 28 degrees or so.

My main miss comes from laziness in backswing that leads to a little over-swing and a little sway the combo of which leads to a heavy contact at times.

As such, I prefer irons with either a touch more bounce, a touch more camber or both and as traditional a look as possible until I need tech/design help for launch before I throw in the towel and move to hybrids.

As such, I ordered a ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW.  For the things in my swing that need forgiving, the V-Tour sole is all that and a bag of chips so it’s ZX7 until I need more launch and less spin for the given loft.

Regarding feel, they are different but not dramatically.  If you’ve hit the Titleist line the difference is more like the difference between AP2 and MB/CB than it is between T-MB/T-200 and CB/MB.

• Like 1

917D2 9.5 w/S+

2 x TS2 @ 16.5 and 21

2 x 818 H1 @ 22 and 26 w/AD-DI 95

ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW - Modus 105

SM7 50-12, Vokey Forged 56-12K, SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay