Thinking of planning a trip there in the next 4-6 weeks and would appreciate any advice. I know it's typically an expensive area but had a few questions:

1. Other than the Exclusive courses is the golf expensive?

2. How easy is it to get on this time of year due to the snowbirds?

3. Would greatly appreciate some recommendations as well. $100 - $150 a round is very reasonable to me for a decent course. Would pay more for 1 round at a very nice course.

Any other info would be awesome.

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim 2 - 9* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️w/JUMBOMAX 17" FLAT
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

calusa pines

Travel up to old corkscrew, my home course down south.  Pretty much my only recommendation for a public course south of fort Myers.

If you want to drive up north, Old Corkscrew as someone else mentioned is good and often has deals online. Some others in Ft Myers that you can get on that are good include River Hall and the two Vera

Yes golf in Naples in witner is expensive. Nothing publicly available is amazing. You can get on the public courses if you're flexible and book when the tee times open. The Lely resort courses aren't bad. Tiburon is way overpriced, but should have very good conditions. If you have any private course contacts that would be your best bet for something interesting. Check teeoff and other discount sites.

Down in SWFL right now. The recommendations everyone is giving are on point. What I will say though is don't expect as many snowbirds this year as years past. COVID has prevented a lot of people from coming to FL this year. The streets are far less congested than ever before. I lived in this area for ten years and come back every year now that I live in CT. This is the quietest I've ever seen. Tee times shouldn't be as bad as other years, so enjoy the availability and let us know where you end up going.

If you want to drive up north, Old Corkscrew as someone else mentioned is good and often has deals online. Some others in Ft Myers that you can get on that are good include River Hall and the two Verandah courses. River Hall has online tee times. Verandah sometimes gives tee times out to the public.

• Like 1

First off thanks for all the responses. Rating from 1 - 5 what courses would you recommend? Don't really want to drive more than 30 - 40 minutes max if possible.

7 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

First off thanks for all the responses. Rating from 1 - 5 what courses would you recommend? Don't really want to drive more than 30 - 40 minutes max if possible.

Just off my experience off of playing some of the public courses:

Corkscrew  5 (30 min north)   Make sure you are on your game if you challenge this one haha...

Tiburon 4 

Raptor Bay 3 (resort course) (20min north)

Stoneybrook 2 (cheap) (30min north)

Arrowhead 2 (cheap)

Those are the only ones I've played.  Played mostly private courses.

7 hours ago, pup142 said:

Heritage Landings Golf and Country club. It is in Punta Gorda. Worth the drive. $85 Great course and well worth the 2 hr drive. Great reviews and fantastic.

I hesitate to mention it as I would like to keep it unknown and he doesn't want to drive that far anyway, but for anyone else if you are going all the way to Punta Gorda, go a little further north and play Riverwood in Port Charlotte. It's one of the best publicly accessible courses up and down the west side of FL (it's semi private but they readily accept public tee times).

4 hours ago, ronnbee said:

calusa pines

I know this was meant as a joke, but if you have the contacts this is a no brainer especially if you were considering Tiburon. It's one of the best in the state and even with the caddie fee/tip you'll only pay slightly more than Tiburon's morning rack rate and have a much more enjoyable experience on a course that is not a typical Florida layout and plays like you are in the North Carolina sand hills.

8 minutes ago, Dancin said:

I know this was meant as a joke, but if you have the contacts this is a no brainer especially if you were considering Tiburon. It's one of the best in the state and even with the caddie fee/tip you'll only pay slightly more than Tiburon's morning rack rate and have a much more enjoyable experience on a course that is not a typical Florida layout and plays like you are in the North Carolina sand hills.

I’ve played a couple tourneys there.  Not a big fan.  I’d play corkscrew over Calusa any day if the week.  The par 3 down the hill and the second shot into 18 were the only memorable shots for me.  Calusa is a very “been there done that” kinda course.

Edited by Shupe
32 minutes ago, Dancin said:

have a friend who is a member

Well as soon as I get some dates from my wife I will start looking into tee time availabilities. I'm retired but she still works. 

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them as well as any other helpful info coming.

7 hours ago, Shupe said:

I’ve played a couple tourneys there.  Not a big fan.  I’d play corkscrew over Calusa any day if the week.  The par 3 down the hill and the second shot into 18 were the only memorable shots for me.  Calusa is a very “been there done that” kinda course.

Calusa is absolutely NOT a ‘been there done that’ course. Private courses in Naples are sometimes receptive if you are a member of a private club and have your pro send an email. More courses are allowing some unaccompanied play this year but the town is currently crowded since more people stayed after the holidays. You will most likely be paying over $150 at any private course during that time as it is now the high season.  

Message me if you have any questions. 

11 minutes ago, mcmonagle said:

Calusa is absolutely NOT a ‘been there done that’ course. Private courses in Naples are sometimes receptive if you are a member of a private club and have your pro send an email. More courses are allowing some unaccompanied play this year but the town is currently crowded since more people stayed after the holidays. You will most likely be paying over $150 at any private course during that time as it is now the high season.  

Message me if you have any questions. 

People act like it is the goat down there... it isn't.  It's beautiful and well managed sure, but I found it very boring to play.  There are a couple great holes.  Good luck getting on during season.

1 hour ago, Robber6656 said:

Where is Forest Glen in relation to Fiddlers Creek? 

Is Treviso bay still public? I haven't been there but once when they first opened. May be worth looking into. Forest Glen is pretty close to I75 and semi private. Played it with my son and the guard shack lady would not let us in until 20 minutes before our Tee time. So no range time for us. Then the counter guy charges me full boat for a 13 YO kid. I had to drop the kids coaches name to get him straight. Remember the rough being  very sticky and club head grabby for some reason. Never even thought about going back and I drive right past it every day. Fiddlers is great, weird but great. Both Marriott courses are great and the director is a personal friend. Hammock has brand new fairways.  of the three Lely tracks Flamingo is the best. Mustang has super wide fairways, Flamingo can pummel you if the wind is blowing. Eagle lakes is affordable fun but getting crowded cause everybody knows it now. Don't miss left! Arrowhead is just OK.  Hibiscus bores me but everybody loves it. Would not pay for Tiburon. Try to get on Grey Oaks. Very nice. Lots of tracks that may worth a call to try an get on like The Quarry, Foxfire etc. Down South try for Eagle Creek as its a shot makers course with usually immaculate greens and good pace. Pack a cooler and a good stogie and hit the Links of Naples for some night golf. Leave the woods in the car. I'm slammed or I would offer to show you around. There's a bunch of WRX guys in Naples, Some real sticks too. Shouldn't be too hard to get a hook up. Have fun and enjoy your stay. I'm on Marco. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Baitkiller said:

Is Treviso bay still public?

I played with a member I know three weeks ago. He said it's fully private now, but the website still says call for guest tee times, so who knows. They have a very large membership (I thought he said 750) and it sounded like they're pretty packed with a lot of people staying at their Naples property this winter since restaurants aren't shut in FL.

The last time I had played it was long ago when nothing was built out there, they only had the remnants of the aborted club house build and were running out of a trailer. Wow has it changed with everything fully built up now. They redid all their greens last year and they have a lot more undulation. I didn't think much of it when I had played it originally, but I really enjoyed it this time. The new greens are still very firm so it's hard to hold shots and the course is playing pretty tough due to that. By the fall it should be really good.

Edited by Dancin

Ft Myers CC is a nice track.  Title is misleading because it is a muni owned by the city.  Old Donald Ross track refurbished.  Be advised, big-time play in the winter so play was slow the two times I played.  Old Corkscrew is a tough golf course.  Played with a guy that was trying to get on the Sr. Tour.  I'm a pretty decent player and both of us had a difficult time breaking 80.  We did it, but not by much.

21 hours ago, Robber6656 said:

Calusa pines is a top 100 course in the country. Old Corkscrew Isn’t in the top 100 in Florida. 

Corkscrew is 72... Course rankings are fairly stupid.  They usually rate based off the area they are in, how well manicured, and an arbitrary level of how renown the course is.  I'll take a course with some character and interesting design over that crap any day of the week.