2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

A question for "senior" golfers

Miss_Tee

20 hours ago, Miss_Tee said:

@Lobby @FakeClubPro @caniac6 and anyone else . . . 

What do you do in the off season to stay in fit? Or don't you have an off season?

I walk and hike a lot, regardless of the weather. We also have heated bays, so I can hit golf balls in the winter. I used to go to the gym in the winter, but with Covid not so much. 

The snow is gone now, but this was from a hike a few weeks ago:

IMG_2940.JPG

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Miss_Tee said:

@Lobby @FakeClubPro @caniac6 and anyone else . . . 

What do you do in the off season to stay in fit? Or don't you have an off season?

We really don’t have an off season in North Carolina. Like I said, I walk, and if I don’t play, I go on a fairly long walk with my wife. I will try to hit balls a few times per week, and swing an Orange Whip fairly often. Not a lot, 20-30 swings at a time. Also, I almost never eat meat. I eat fish about 5 times per week, and pasta or eggs the other times. I very rarely drink, never smoke,but I do have a sweet tooth that I’m working on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reasonability said:

Thank you for this thread.  Will share from a little different perspective.   

Can't back this up with hard data but it's probably safe to say most golfers of any age struggle in their understandings of their own swing -- and what it could be versus what it is.  

Younger/stronger players can consciously or subconsciously create all sorts of corrections and manipulations in their motion to power through swing issues in ways not as available to those of us more "seasoned".

These are some of the specifics I'm referring to, all of which have cumulative effects we just can't power through as we age:

* Very purposeful grip and setup.  It's amazing how relaxed and how much anticipation for a better upcoming motion begins right there.  Yet so many of us minimize or ignore this one.  Or... we're convinced we covered that one years ago and therefore it's all good.  The truly deep dive on this one rarely happens.

Tension.  It's insidious, traveling from one body part to the next regardless of when and where it starts.  It leaks forward into later stages of the swing and forward into the grip and setup.  It ruins the sense of "feel".  Rounds can be exhausting.  The drive home is filled with fatigue.  (This one isn't about getting older.  It's about eliminating bad tension).

* Rhythm, Tempo, Balance.  All three technically mean something a little different.  But for this discussion it's probably better to avoid a swing-jargon rant and instead leave it like this...  We simply need a nice smooth flow in the motion where we waltz to the top and waltz to the finish pose in the same amount of time.  As we age we tend to hit "at" the ball more and more.

Restrictions/complications in our motion.  So many of us can't achieve any of the above because we either habitually freeze (or the opposite and erratically move) a few key body parts once in motion.  Examples:  The back knee slides laterally over the the back foot going to the top.  The wrists never set going back.  It's a list of small issues that add-up as we age but are all manageable PROVIDED there's willingness to at least try.  In transition the hands and arms tense up flinging the club in all sorts of directions too early in the downswing.

* Short game.  Not to be trite but none of has to be 15 years old to get 100% better from 100 yards in.  

Things described here aren't as much about how far any club sends it as much as it being about how effortless and how well any stick in the bag works.  (But it will end up flying farther as a result)

Imagine that golfer who sets up and grips it beautifully.  There's a strong sense of anticipation for the relaxed and flowing feel of the upcoming motion.  That motion is tension-free and rhythmical.  It may not be the fullest/longest back and through but it's unrestricted.  The ball flies a little farther and better simply because it was more consistently struck closer to the sweet-spot.

This post won't resonate well for many golfers.  It sounds oversimplified.  To squeeze it all into one post... it is.  But just throwing it out there it can be fun, more relaxing, to "go there".   The right teaching pro is more than half the battle.   That one is another topic that drums up a thousand opinions about teachers and swing philosophies. Suffice it to say that if the items in bold can be tackled alone or with the right help, aging doesn't have to equate to that much of a decline.  

Only wish I knew then what I know now.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your observations. I'm going to take a screenshot of this and refer to it when the snow melts and I'm back on the course. It will be a good reminder when I start thinking I need to swing faster so I hit farther. 😉  I do know I need to work on a consistent pre-shot routine, which will now also include checking my grip and set up.  Thanks

Edited by Miss_Tee
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Miss_Tee said:

Thanks for your observations. I'm going to take a screenshot of this and refer to it when the snow melts and I'm back on the course. It will be a good reminder when I start thinking I need to swing faster so I hit farther. 😉

Assuming center contact, you actually do need to swing faster to hit it farther.  It’s more a question of how you swing faster. Faster and harder are not necessarily synonymous when it comes to swinging a golf club.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I'm in the neighborhood of @Miss_Tee and @Buzzkill and not yet to @caniac6 and scoring wise I found my lowest handicap ever for a time last summer and plan to get back there this summer.  No year round golf here, sadly.  I grudgingly admit I've lost some distance but hopefully learned the hard way to quit swinging the club I used to hit "harder" and take one more and be a little more controlled more often.  But overall not that much and still feel plenty comfortable off the tee (the problem with comparing is I'm sure when I was 40 with current ball and current driver I'd have been longer than I was when I was 40, so saying I haven't lost all that much might be close to a bit delusional).

Once again I'm trying to figure out a Jan - March way of getting some exercise over the winter and if I happen to save it somewhere I'm sure I'll look for it and plan to finish it next year after ignoring it again.  

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stryper said:

Assuming center contact, you actually do need to swing faster to hit it farther.  It’s more a question of how you swing faster. Faster and harder are not necessarily synonymous when it comes to swinging a golf club.  🤷‍♂️

Right. I should have said when I start to think I need to swing harder, because that's what tends to happen when most of us try to swing faster.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'm in the neighborhood of @Miss_Tee and @Buzzkill and not yet to @caniac6 and scoring wise I found my lowest handicap ever for a time last summer and plan to get back there this summer.  No year round golf here, sadly.  I grudgingly admit I've lost some distance but hopefully learned the hard way to quit swinging the club I used to hit "harder" and take one more and be a little more controlled more often.  But overall not that much and still feel plenty comfortable off the tee (the problem with comparing is I'm sure when I was 40 with current ball and current driver I'd have been longer than I was when I was 40, so saying I haven't lost all that much might be close to a bit delusional).

Once again I'm trying to figure out a Jan - March way of getting some exercise over the winter and if I happen to save it somewhere I'm sure I'll look for it and plan to finish it next year after ignoring it again.  

Congrats on reaching your lowest handicap. It's a good feeling. 

I work out regularly in the winter - I lift weights (not very heavy) and do cardio workouts (YouTube). I'm adding stretching workouts this winter too. And the main reason I workout is to be in shape for golf season!

• Like 3

I forgot to mention a very important thing - I inherited good genes. My father will be 93 in Feb., and plays nine holes three days per week. He was complaining about cart path only rules, so he's going to start walking again. About five years ago, he was complaining about slow play saying they got behind some old guys.

• Like 4

There is a lot of ego in this game. As a few of you pointed out the main idea is to have fun. Some folks make a difficult game even more difficult. Maybe they enjoy that? Or, maybe it sucks some of the joy out of it. As we age we are going to lose distance, it's inevitable. But, if you move up a tee box or two, you can still post a good score, and hit irons into greens instead of fairway woods or hybrids. 

And, maybe I said this already...if so I apologize, my memory seems to be going, lol...but you don't have to be young or athletic to develop a good short game, which can be a real stroke saver. 

We aren't getting any younger, so go out there and enjoy yourself, have fun. Golf isn't a war or a battle, it's a game and none of us has anything to prove. 🙂

• Like 4

Here's a current video out there for a sr golfer.  I like the concept of there are other ways to generate swing speed, instead of just turn. There's up and down (I never could get that one right), and even a slight sway is ok.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mrDxYvckko

Edited by Tanner25
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

Here's a current video out there for a sr golfer.  I like the concept of there are other ways to generate swing speed, instead of just turn. There's up and down (I never could get that one right), and even a slight sway is ok.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mrDxYvckko

I've heard about flaring the toes before.

As for being closed to the target line, I can see where that would help in the back swing, but doesn't it make it harder to get around after impact? That's my initial thought about doing that. 

Oops. The video had cut to an ad, so I thought it was over.  My apologies. I'll watch the rest of it. My bad.

Watched the rest of the video. I'm definitely not at the point where I want to sway. I'll continue to work of flexibility so I get my power from turning. It's something to consider for when I lose a lot of flexibility though.  Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Miss_Tee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Miss_Tee said:

I've heard about flaring the toes before.

As for being closed to the target line, I can see where that would help in the back swing, but doesn't it make it harder to get around after impact? That's my initial thought about doing that. 

Oops. The video had cut to an ad, so I thought it was over.  My apologies. I'll watch the rest of it. My bad.

Watched the rest of the video. I'm definitely not at the point where I want to sway. I'll continue to work of flexibility so I get my power from turning. It's something to consider for when I lose a lot of flexibility though.  Thanks for sharing.

Yes, promoting a sway is always a slippery slope. But, perhaps, we should not get too down on ourselves if there's some natural sway as we age. 

• Like 1

I turn 69 in March and live near Boston, so winter comes every year.  I still have a job that keeps me way too busy and too much family stuff.  I can't hit the ball as far as I used to, and I've had a lot of injuries over the last few years. Have had chipping yips and putter problems.  Handicap index up to about 13, so I don't have much to brag about.  

But with lots of walking, including on the course, with daily exercise or quasi-yoga (I'm an inflexible, old, fat fart, so what I do for yoga is truly a bastardization), with physical therapy and training, and with lessons during the winter and range time in the summer, my game has stabilized.  Not sure I'll ever break 80 again, but I can take a run at it (though the low 90's show up on occasion too).  For now, the drives get out there 220-230, with the occasional downhill, wind-behind-me 250.  Graphite has helped with the bad elbows.  Hybrids and big, fat irons help, as does a mallet putter.  Let's face it, technology helps and I'm fine with it.  

I still enjoy playing---most days.  The time will come when my drives don't hit 200 yards and I can neither reliably chip or putt, so I know I'll have to give it up at some point.  It's certainly harder over 50 years old because injuries don't heal quickly and I can't make the swing turn as fast.  But I understand my swing better than I ever have, I can make adjustments better than I ever have, and so there are ways to make up with the brain a lot of what I can't do with brawn anymore. 

• Like 2

I've told my son a few times over the years " you were gifted the 3 things needed to be really good for playing sports at a high level, hand-eye coordination, fast twitch muscles and balance, take advantage of that gift " he did and still does.

I was to, problem is those 3 things are firing at about 60% now. lol

If you care about keeping score and I always have, do the work, whatever it takes, exercise, nutrition, etc. It's still the greatest game ever invented.

• Like 2

I will be 64 in June and started to lose distance and game in general around 60 years old.  I am back training hard again doing Rob’s drive 400 program.

In 3 weeks my strength has increased dramatically feel like I am in my 40’s again.  I was cautious at first because of injury concerns but the soft tissue/mobility has kept me pain free.  I also had a Hyperice hyper volt and use that nightly which has helped as well.  So far I have increased club head speed 4MPh but I have not played because of snow.  I have a driver fitting end of January looking forward to see if that helps.  I am retiring in June so I will have a lot more time to play and hopefully lower my HCP to 5 again.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

I've told my son a few times over the years " you were gifted the 3 things needed to be really good for playing sports at a high level, hand-eye coordination, fast twitch muscles and balance, take advantage of that gift " he did and still does.

I was to, problem is those 3 things are firing at about 60% now. lol

If you care about keeping score and I always have, do the work, whatever it takes, exercise, nutrition, etc. It's still the greatest game ever invented.

I notice the same things like hand eye coordination not as good as it used to be. The way I deal with it is using hybrids instead of irons. Hybrids are so much easier to make decent contact with than irons. I hate hitting a ball fat or thin, with hybrids I usually make good contact.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

On 1/9/2021 at 11:37 AM, Sean2 said:

I walk and hike a lot, regardless of the weather. We also have heated bays, so I can hit golf balls in the winter. I used to go to the gym in the winter, but with Covid not so much. 

The snow is gone now, but this was from a hike a few weeks ago:

IMG_2940.JPG

Sean, we don't see snow very often here in Georgia & I generally don't like it when we do since it's usually a combination of sleet & snow. But I think I would change my mind about snow if I could hike in scenery like that. Seems like it would be so calming.

• Like 1

When being in contact with other individuals does settle, my wife & I want to get started with memberships at a local health facility.  The biggest thing that peaked my interest was classes in tia chi.  Have thought of getting involved in this for the last couple of years to help maintain what I have left .  Pumping iron & various exercises are very useful, but balance and control are real keys so really looking forward to trying this out.  Been in the medical field over 35 years, but the Chinese have been at it for quite a few centuries longer.  Hope with where I live that come spring we may be able to give it a try.

• Like 1

Love a thread for seniors. Thanks. 

I’m a fit 61 and retired.  Best stretch was a few years ago when my handicap was 5 and my average 80 on our Pete Dye course. This last year Handicap got up to 7 and average 83.   I focus more on the average than the handicap.   

I was practicing and taking lessons and playing senior two man events and working hard to get better, and just got a little better and had some nice tournament rounds breaking 80 but really didn’t have any material improvement. In fact, as indicated in the last few years scoring wise I drifted down.  

I play a weekly  team match with some friends out here who are exceptional seniors. One a five time state amateur champ. Another former college athlete now 75 years old and from the up tees he breaks his age a few times a year. Another scratch, and the fourth of our fivesome a 4 handicap. So I have to work hard in our team scratch games to contribute, and it was just a grind so I shifted my internal outlook…

on my own scorecard now whenever I play my home course I have my own par of 83. For each hole I magic marker my scorecard with either a par or a bogey depending on the hole, which totaled 83 for the round.  It was enjoyable and surprising that it took the edge off me feeling like I had to keep up with guys I couldn’t keep up with, or have an unrealistic expectation for myself during a round.  

My goal for 2021 is to play more than 100 rounds and drop my average one stroke down to 82.   That seems realistic and enjoyable — but not as easy as it sounds.

• Like 2

I'm 67 and in shape. A spongy blob is a shape, right?

I have some leg issues and can barely bend over enough now to pick a ball out of the hole by leaning on my putter. I have to lean on my club to tee up a ball. I've had herniated discs, so my turn in limited. I have perhaps the tightest left side IT band and hamstring in the western world, so there's that excuse I can add.

In spite of all that, I shot my age the first time about 3 years ago. Yes, I've lost a club of distance with irons the past couple of years, but my driver is still reasonable. I rarely mss a fairway and ~250 yards is not bad for an old guy. Of course I've moved up a couple of tee boxes.

I was long when I was young, so there's a correlation there. If you were not long earlier in life, you don't have the technique to maintain length as you age.

I think it's a lot easier to maintain driver distance than iron distances. It's a different swing, and it's like there's an "Automatic" button on drivers now to hit them well. I wish I was a picker, but I'm not. Turf impact is painful on my hands and back, so that affects my iron play.

I fully expect to be able to shoot par at 70 years old. But, then again, I had a wasted youth of hitting 300 balls a day, every day.

• Like 2

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

13 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

I'm 67 and in shape. A spongy blob is a shape, right?

I have some leg issues and can barely bend over enough now to pick a ball out of the hole by leaning on my putter. I have to lean on my club to tee up a ball. I've had herniated discs, so my turn in limited. I have perhaps the tightest left side IT band and hamstring in the western world, so there's that excuse I can add.

In spite of all that, I shot my age the first time about 3 years ago. Yes, I've lost a club of distance with irons the past couple of years, but my driver is still reasonable. I rarely mss a fairway and ~250 yards is not bad for an old guy. Of course I've moved up a couple of tee boxes.

I was long when I was young, so there's a correlation there. If you were not long earlier in life, you don't have the technique to maintain length as you age.

I think it's a lot easier to maintain driver distance than iron distances. It's a different swing, and it's like there's an "Automatic" button on drivers now to hit them well. I wish I was a picker, but I'm not. Turf impact is painful on my hands and back, so that affects my iron play.

I fully expect to be able to shoot par at 70 years old. But, then again, I had a wasted youth of hitting 300 balls a day, every day.

Wow! So many seniors out there still playing excellent golf. Very encouraging.

i started loosing distance around 60.  Have played for 30 years with an arms & hands swing.  Had plenty of power back then, as I built powerlines and substations for a living.

I retired 2 years ago (62), and started working out daily on my weight bench.  I also changed my swing to a "body swing" that uses my legs and core instead of all arms.  That alone has picked up lost yardage, and actually am hitting my hybrid and driver longer than I ever did.  There are lots of video's on this type of swing, but it does take some flexibility to be able to turn the lower body toward the target and clear the hips.  I go to the range every day, as this is still a learning process.  When the weather is bad, I hit balls in my shop into a net, which helps with maintaining flexibility.  One advantage to this type of swing was I eliminated the "hook" I had when using hands and arms.  My normal shot now is straight or a slight fade! 

Our senior leagues don't let me hit from the reds till 70, so I still have 5 years from the whites!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 driver, 11 deg, Tensi Reg shaft

Titleist TSi2 16.5 4 wood, Tensi Stiff shaft

Titleist T300 irons, 5-PW, AW S300 shafts

Titleist Vokey 54/10 custom wedge KBS Tour

Titleist Vokey 58/4 custom wedge KBS Tour

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback putter 35"

2022 Yamaha Drive2 PTV-Atomic Flame

23 hours ago, jonsnow said:

Sean, we don't see snow very often here in Georgia & I generally don't like it when we do since it's usually a combination of sleet & snow. But I think I would change my mind about snow if I could hike in scenery like that. Seems like it would be so calming.

It is, and it makes for a great hike. The silence is profound, which adds to it. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 8:43 AM, smoky25 said:

I'm 67 now. It's been a slow steady decline for me since I turned 50 and seems to be accelerating slightly in my late 60's. I'm probably 40-50yds shorter off the tee now than I was at 50yo with most of that coming in the last 3 years.  The thing that has been most important for me in maintaining my enjoyment of the game is that I haven't let my ego prevent me from moving up a tee box as I've aged.  Golf for me is most enjoyable when I'm using most of the clubs in my bag, and moving up a tee box has allowed me to do that.  As for career best rounds I shot a 65 once in my early 40s from the tips, a 65 2 years ago from the member tees, and a 66 2 months ago from the senior tees, and they all felt equally satisfying. Sorry for the passive brag, but the point is is that 66 2 months ago felt just as good as the 65 from the tips did 25 years ago.  My advice is don't let your ego get in the way of enjoying the game.  Play the game the way it's supposed to be played - with all the clubs in your bag, and use whatever tee box it takes to do that.

That's great golf. What course, Smoky? Do you compete regionally/nationally? You a former pro?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

58 minutes ago, bigbore56 said:

i started loosing distance around 60.  Have played for 30 years with an arms & hands swing.  Had plenty of power back then, as I built powerlines and substations for a living.

I retired 2 years ago (62), and started working out daily on my weight bench.  I also changed my swing to a "body swing" that uses my legs and core instead of all arms.  That alone has picked up lost yardage, and actually am hitting my hybrid and driver longer than I ever did.  There are lots of video's on this type of swing, but it does take some flexibility to be able to turn the lower body toward the target and clear the hips.  I go to the range every day, as this is still a learning process.  When the weather is bad, I hit balls in my shop into a net, which helps with maintaining flexibility.  One advantage to this type of swing was I eliminated the "hook" I had when using hands and arms.  My normal shot now is straight or a slight fade! 

Our senior leagues don't let me hit from the reds till 70, so I still have 5 years from the whites!

If there weren't senior tees I probably wouldn't play. For me it's no fun hitting fairway woods into par 4's. 

It's interesting that they make you wait until you are 70. Heck, on Tour you move up to the "senior tees" when you turn 50. 

3 hours ago, Sean2 said:

If there weren't senior tees I probably wouldn't play. For me it's no fun hitting fairway woods into par 4's. 

It's interesting that they make you wait until you are 70. Heck, on Tour you move up to the "senior tees" when you turn 50. 

I'm 62 & the youngest of the group I play with.  The local course has it at 60 for the senior tees.  If I went to use the senior tees on the group that I play with, I would get get hurt...badly.  

My strength continues to get better daily in the gym and I have stayed injury free because I and doing soft tissue and mobility work.  Never did this in my 30’s and 40’s plus doin mostly posterior exercises cause some issues over time but they are improving.  Thinking about adding yoga in the evening a couple days a week i think a few guys in the senior group have experienced good results 

Sean-

Beautiful trail I live here 3 acres snow from 

December to March 

0112FE4D-9A35-4A20-8F37-BB211C402A46.jpeg

• Like 1