Which club releases were the trendsetters and which were big fails

8 hours ago, grm24 said:

Have to disagree. The Mizuno MP-600 driver from late 2007 had a sliding track with 2 weights (8g) long before the SLDR line of drivers released in 2014. It's also possible someone else did the sliding track weight on a driver before Mizuno. TM as much as they like to claim at times wasn't the first to come up with everything. And I love TM drivers.

Capture.PNG.a12802073dec7541d7166e09f68fd2aa.PNG

I can agree that TM wasn't the first, but I would hardly say that the above driver was a "trend setter" mostly because I've never heard of it. Maybe it inspired TM, I don't know, but it wasn't until the SLDR and subsequent TM releases/Callaway responses that suddenly slidibg weights were ubiquitous on drivers. (or that's how it felt to me at the time, maybe I'm wrong)

That MP600 seems like a one-off that was (as hindsight now proves) way ahead of it's time. Thank you for bringing it to my attention though, do you have any experience with it? How'd it hit back then?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Modern era all of the "first" adjustable ones.    The Taylormade R7 was probably in like 60-70% of golf bags at one point around here. It was a monster. That was the first move-able weight d

I would say the Ping Eye 2 irons...I think they changed the iron market more than any other club.

Taylormade Bubble shaft!!! Ground breaking technology haha

Posted Images

Didn't Taylor Made fill some irons with foam back in the 90s?  Burner Midsize in 1993 I believe.

Titleist TS4 8.5 - Accra FX 2.0 M5 360
Titleist 917d3 - 15 degree - Accra FX 2.0 M5 370
Titleist TS2 17 hybrid - Even Flow White 6.5
Ping S55 3-W Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue
Ping Glide 54 & 60 - Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue 
Ping Vault Anser 2 - Platinum 

On 1/13/2021 at 2:34 AM, DROBERSON78 said:

Didn't Callaway come out with the first titanium driver?

I believe it was Mizuno that created the first titanium driver.

But it was Callaway's first titanium big bertha that made everyone else follow.

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

On 1/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, James the Hogan Fan said:

I can agree that TM wasn't the first, but I would hardly say that the above driver was a "trend setter" mostly because I've never heard of it. Maybe it inspired TM, I don't know, but it wasn't until the SLDR and subsequent TM releases/Callaway responses that suddenly slidibg weights were ubiquitous on drivers. (or that's how it felt to me at the time, maybe I'm wrong)

That MP600 seems like a one-off that was (as hindsight now proves) way ahead of it's time. Thank you for bringing it to my attention though, do you have any experience with it? How'd it hit back then?

Never tried the MP-600 driver. Not sure if it was available in left hand. Only Mizuno driver I've tried is the JPX-850. Nice club but nothing special. 

Edited by grm24
On 1/12/2021 at 11:40 PM, James the Hogan Fan said:

Anybody remember the TM wedges with replaceable faces? Good luck getting parts...

Those would be the Taylormade XFT wedges.  Available with conforming (ZTP face) and non-conforming (Z face) grooves before/during/after the groove rule change.  They were (are) awesome.  In fact, Dustin Johnson still had one in the bag not so long ago.  The idea was fantastic, especially for touring pros who need fresh grooves week in and week out, but have found a grind and overall club feel that simply suits them.  Instead of having an entirely new club made up you pop a new face on in 10 seconds.  I don’t believe they were necessarily killed because they were a flop, rather they were not as profitable as simply getting weekend golfers to just buy new wedges.  I still play one or two depending on my setup and am always on the lookout for replacement faces. If they were marketed better, and replacement faces made much more readily available and cheaper, I believe they would have taken off in a big way. 

Tour Issue Taylormade 2016 M2 8.5* Speeder 757 EVO II X......TaylorMade SLDR 3 wood Motore Speeder 77x
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW DGX100......Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 56*, 60*
Taylormade Spider Tour......Sun Mountain 2.5 14 way......KSig

What a great topic, 

Everyone I know early on had a Bertha or Burner. Feel like both companies have battled since to be top dog.

So many flops over the years.

Have to admit buying the Callaway FTI and about 5 shafts for it. So bad, sounded bad and went nowhere.

Any of the first all composite/plastic drivers. They were hilarious, blew apart at least 3 of them. Then again punched in the face of a few early big berthas, weirdly proud when it happened even though it meant spending money for a replacement.

Nickent pipe putter! So funny and the worst sound. Buddy used it for a few months until the taunting wore him down and got rid of it

Any driver with John Daly's name on it when he was looking for beer money, Wilson killer Whale....

nickent_pipe_angle.jpg

Edited by 675terry
Spelling

I know they weren't the first, but Adams CMBs did tungsten weights in forged irons extremely well... from their release until I bought them, I wanted a set... I look at modern irons in the same category and don't see much difference from what Adams did... They seemed to get a ton of good reviews when they were released and I think they are probably competitive with anything on the market today (I'm playing a set)

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7