Ewheels V2 vs. MGI Zip Navigator AT

So my pushcart broke down and I am in the market for a new one. I was thinking of going electric and wanted to ask opinions on what would be the best option for me. I have read many threads on this topic and have done a lot of research, but since I have never used one, I would greatly appreciate advice. I have narrowed it down to Ewheels V2 and MGI AT from Costco (but am open to other options as well). Price is not going to be determining factor, because they are both in the same ballpark for me. Ewheels $800 + $120 TFS + Clicgear $250 = $1170 and MGI is $1600. I am willing to pay more to get better product/quality/durability/longevity. So here is some info:

1. I walk a hilly course. It is mostly flat holes, but one or two are slopey. The big slopes are when walking up to tee boxes. Long, very steep uphill hikes to 3 or 4 tee boxes that are followed by steep downhill walks, some are straight line and some serpentine. hundreds of feet long and very steep (will wheelie bars be enough for steep hills?). I am worried that overtime as the battery degrades that the V2 will not make a full 18 holes as the hills will drain battery. But I feel like the tether function would be perfect for such hills. Does the MGI have a tether or bluetooth follow option or is it remote controlled only?

2. I like to walk at a brisk pace. Will both carts keep up? Which one is faster or will both keep up?

3. I like to have extra storage in cart.

4. If I go with ewheels, is better to get the Rovic 1S or go with Clicgear 4.0 and get the front wheel conversion kit (cost not an option, want smoothest operation)?

5. I like using a sunbrella in the heat and sun. Which one will have a more convenient umbrella holder to take in and out in between shots?

Right now, I am kind of leaning towards the ewheels due to the TFS, especially for the very steep downhill serpentine walks. I can just plug it in, walk, and even sit on my phone if I wanted to. I don't have to worry about steering with remote. Will the cart keep up with me in TFS mode if I walk at brisk pace? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since the listed questions were answered already, just wanted to give you my advice. I had ewheels V1 with Clicgear 8.0, then changed to Rovic cart, while it was good / worked very well on flat ground

A couple great points by MaitriMike and RSinSG that I missed, but also some clarification.  - I'm not sure what the eWheels V1 offered but the eWheels V2 also goes in reverse and has Gyro technol

Thanks a lot for the replies. I am leaning towards the ewheels mostly due to the tether function and the 2 wheelie bars, as I have to go up 3 very steep and long hills at my course. Has anyone here us

1. Remote only

2. both will be able to keep up

3. ewheels because you can use your push cart’s storage

4. Rovic 1s but heard its front wheel gets stuck sometimes. Also heard problems with conversion kits for 3.5.  I would get the caddytek cruiser one tour that has two front swivel wheels.

5. rovic or clicgear.

ewheels are more stable than the MGI. I found myself concentrating too much trying to avoid uneven terrain.  Ewheels not perfect either but much better.  MGI wins in convenience. Easier to set it up, down, and takes up less space. 
Having said that I want to go back to simple setup. Having to charge battery, remote, tfs along with my gps, phone and apple watch before a round gets tiring. I am looking for a light bag and light push cart thats easy to push.  

I agree with just about everything BA said.

A good friend of mine has the ewheels v2for about 4 months now and loves it. I just picked up the MGI Zip Nav AT for $1399 from Costco but haven’t had a chance to use it on the course, just in the yard which is pretty hilly.

1.) hills and wheelie bars- I like the Ewheels setup, there are 2 wheelie bars where the Zip only has one. I think if the hills are not too steep you’ll be good either way.

Battery- The EWheels battery is fine. We’re in New England where hills are the norm and even in the cold weather 40-50 degrees, he had plenty of battery left after 18 holes (65-70%). I can only speak to reviews on the Zip, but I hear it is the same. They both are remote control, but Ewheels is coming out with tether and my friend said his is on the way.

2. Speed is not an issue with either cart.

3. There is not a lot of space in the Zip and you’ll get what you get with your the cart you choose if you go with the Ewheels.

4. With a remote control cart, you’re going to want a front wheel the swivels. My friend started with his 4wheel bag boy and quickly moved to a 3 wheel with swivel front wheel and the conversion kit from Ewheels..

5. I’m not a big umbrella user but I have read reviews for both carts that an extension is needed.

Rating the two, I would give the ewheels the advantage on price, the 2 wheelie bars, and cart space (because you’re using a star are cart). I give the Zip the advantage on quality of build, ease of setup and breakdown, battery setup, and the warranty. 2 years (3 if you register it).

good luck

Edited by DCSerafin

I can’t imagine the eWheels performance is anywhere near the MGI. I’ve had the Navigator AT for several months now and it literally is the best golf purchase I’ve ever made. 

It does a lot more than roll forward and turn left and right. One of the guys in my regular foursome has a Kangaroo which does the above. The MGI has a gyro that makes it very stable and it turns on a dime. Has reverse which not all carts has. 

The price is an investment, but it’s cheaper than many carts on the market. I got mine used at Kaddymart. He gets the Costco returns and puts in a new battery and sells them at a discount. The cart I got only had 6 miles on it. 

https://kaddymart.com/

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6S

Ping G30 3W

Ping G30 5W

Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrid

Ping G425 5-SW, UST Recoil ES F4S

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Since the listed questions were answered already, just wanted to give you my advice. I had ewheels V1 with Clicgear 8.0, then changed to Rovic cart, while it was good / worked very well on flat grounds, it wasn't great. Space in the trunk was taken up by the cart and these "wheels", in addition to all its accessories my cart normally has. If you are going straight while the lie was slanted, you had to self correct the ewheels. Stability for the cart is the same as the MGI. Meaning, if I gunned the ewheels, the front wheel would pop up, I've had a few instances due to side hill lies or curbs drops tip over my cart. I was getting annoyed at the lack of space in my trunk for these items. I saw the MGI a few years ago and I had to get it. Also it was a great deal at the time at Costco (2-3 years ago). Once I purchased The MGI, I was very impressed with all aspects of it. People are right about the space issue, but there is a new "cooler" attachment, which you definitely get. I also added a small bag / net under the golf bag, between the bag and the cart. It's very similar to the net on the clicgear.

I'd say go with MGI AT Navigator from Costco. You won't regret it. Coming from both, I'd pick the MGI 10 times out of 10 if ever had to choose.

Good luck!

• Like 1

A couple great points by MaitriMike and RSinSG that I missed, but also some clarification.

- I'm not sure what the eWheels V1 offered but the eWheels V2 also goes in reverse and has Gyro technology to keep the cart on its intended path.

- All-in (not with accessories, the eWheels is cheaper that the Zip Nav and the Zip Nav AT

- The Zip Nav AT It sets up and breaks down just like a standard 3 or 4 wheel push cart. (with the exception of extending the 5th wheel) where the eWheels is a bit more involved with connecting/disconnecting the back wheel axle.

The eWheels V2 also has the Gyro Technology and they have come out with tethering and being shipped out now.

Now, my friend absolutely loves his eWheels V2 and I can see why - I've seen it in action.  My deciding factors on the Zip At over the eWheels (in order of importance to me)

1,) Warranty 2 yrs (I think it's 3 if you register the unit with MGI), the eWheels comes with a 1 year warranty.

2.) Reputation and purchasing process. MGI has been around for years with many models and revisions of their carts (They have a good history).  Alphard's website doesn't have a lot of info on their website and I know the process to purchase the eWheels V2 was more difficult. I won't dive into the specifics but my friend basically made the purchase without knowing If or When he would receive the cart.

3.) Size - with limited trunk space I havet, I had to be careful and the way the eWheels broke down made the decision easy as I don't think it would have fit in my trunk.

4.) Setup/breakdown - A bit more complex with the eWheels

5.) Cost, Costco had a great deal right before Christmas dropping the price by $300.00. from $1699 to $1399. A bit more but my friend said he ended up spending ~$1100 all in for his setup.

Again, I don't think you can go wrong (from a performance standpoint with either cart), it comes down to what your requirements and priorities are.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the replies. I am leaning towards the ewheels mostly due to the tether function and the 2 wheelie bars, as I have to go up 3 very steep and long hills at my course. Has anyone here used the tether function on the V2? Is it a great addition or just a nice to have gimmick? I can imagine myself using the tether half the time and the remote the other half. With the tether you can hold your sunbrella in one hand and your phone in the other if you want to order take out towards the end of your round, or just read some articles while strolling down the fairway. Also, to me it just feels like you can enjoy the walk down the fairway much better without having to hold the remote in your hand to steer. An untethered cart on follow would cause me to keep looking over my shoulder. Am I on to something with the tether or am I just being naive and will never use it?

@MaitriMike- I agree with you that I would get the MGI over the V1. The V2 has me intrigued though. Thanks for input

@BraveAnthony- very good point on having to charge the TFS, Remote, and ewheels battery. That is a lot of work in between rounds. Can you charge remote and TFS from the battery while on the course? E.g. Plug in the TFS to the battery while playing? Or it doesn't work that way? Also, thanks for the recommendation on the caddytek tour. I was actually looking at that one after I made this post. Sounds like it will be a better fit for the ewheels.

@DCSerafin- Thanks for your input. What are your thoughts on the tether if you have used it already? I can understand why you want to go to simple setup with a light cart and bag to push. I have pushed a cart my whole life and it isn't that hard. Would getting a car charger for the ewheels make any sense as a primary form of charging? Or is it only good as a backup?

• Like 1

OP - EWheels has a very good facebook group that you can join and get quite a bit of info from current users.  If price is not an issue, you might want to look at the Stewart.  I did a little research on all of these late last fall and while in the $2500 range, it does rate very well.  Not sure which ones they have in the US though.  

Ping G410 w/ Tensei orange
Cobra G410 3W  
Ping G400 7W

Titleist 818 5H
Ping G710 5-P w/ KBS Tour 120
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

I'm certainly biased as I have the MGI but we have 2 members with the V2 at our course. I know they improved the V2 and added gyros and tether but we have a very hilly course and they keep the fairways roped off this time of year. The maneuverability to get into and around these ropes is tough so you have to be good with the remote or keep your hands on it a lot. The difference between our units is night and day. The stability of the MGI is leaps and bounds better. The quick turning and size also helps a ton. Build quality is better, ease of in/out of trunk, ease of setup, battery lasts longer, etc. There is no comparison but you have to weigh costs. If your buying now and have to add the cart, its still going to be $500 or more for the MGI. That may be a factor. But after playing with these guys on my course, I'd rather have a standard such cart than the V2 if I couldn't have the MGI. 

I currently have a Caddytrek R2 which i would say is in that premium category and i will say i'm not a fan of it. I think the march and follow features are completely over rated. First off they are a pain in the butt to engage them and two you can't park your cart next your your ball with those features on, you will run into the same issues with the tether feature. The other gripe i have is its loud. The motor always hums and the remote always finds a reason to beep. i play a lot of high level armature tournaments and the sound is a deal breaker. And lastly the buttons on the remote are raised so it's really easy to bump one and have the cart take off unexpecting. i have a few buddy's with the V2 and i'll be getting one of those and it checks all the boxes i want and price is not a determining purchase factor.

Stk123, I bought the ewheels v2 during the fund raising and it took until November to finally get it due to all the COVID c**p.  Initially I was unimpressed by the battery life over other users claims, but then I got a swivel front wheel and it meets or exceeds all the reports from other users.

1. The communications during all the comications from COVID was outstanding. And the customer service from Alex at Alphard Golf since has been great as well.

2. No issues on hills, up or down. I play in western WA and the hills here can be ridiculous (one of my primary reasons for getting a motorized cart).

3. I have as much space with the Rovic and ewheels in my cargo space (trunk) as I did with my Sun Mountain cart (which I loved as a push cart by the way and will sing praise for their customer service forever). 

4. I am a runner and at top pace I have to run to keep up with the cart. The gyro feature works well and the remote allows you to drive the cart ahead, behind or along side and even send the cart 15 or 30 yards to an auto stop if you like. 

All in all I have no experience with your other option, but I would definitely recommend the ewheels and if I had to do it again I would, even the wait for delivery was well worth it.

Just my 2 cents. 

Good luck,

Scott

I went from a Bagboy Navigator (had a great run with that cart) to the Ewheels V1 with a Clicgear Rovic.  My experience with the Ewheels has been great.  I find with the free front wheel (my Navigator had this as well), controlling direction is very easy.  Once my Ewheels V1 dies (whenever that is), I’ll likely just move to V2 as having the gyro control for direction would be nice (my Navigator had that).  I have a couple of big hills on my course and no issues with the V1.  I would also say the anti-tip bars are a must.  They are too expensive for what they are, but you still need to have them.  

Ping G400 LST Driver
TEE EXS 220 3 Wood, 2H
Taylormade P790 4-AW
Cleveland RTX4 54, 60
Seemore Mini Giant Deep Flange

I have the eWheels V2 (having upgraded from the V1) and a good friend bought the Costco MGI Zip package last summer.  We have played together several times with both of us using them, most recently 2 weeks ago.  He agrees that the V2 is a better "machine", particularly on my CG 3.5+ with the swivel front wheels.  It is much more stable, particularly on steep hills.  The TFS (tether) provides another advantage, and I didn't even think I would use it when I bought the V2.  It does take up a bit more room and takes a little longer to set up and break down.  But overall I think the V2 is the better unit.  As for customer service, I had a few issues with my V1 that Alex/Alphard Golf resolved very quickly.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Callaway XR 3+ wood Project X Hzrdus Handcrafted 6.0 LZ
Callaway XR 5 wood Project X Hzrdus Handcrafted 6.0 LZ
Taylormade GAPR 3 Mid KBS 80 S
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Odyssey Stroke Lab #1 33"

I was one of the first backers of the V2 and have had my unit for a while now.  I've probably got 30 rounds on the V2 with my Rovic RV1s.  I can't imagine any better option out there.

1 - The two main courses I use the V2 on are hilly.  By the battery meter on the unit I have yet to burn thru half of the battery after walking 18, and I micro-manage the cart way more than I should with the remote.  Both courses have a ton of cart path curbs and I have to constantly maneuver the cart so as to miss curbs.  I have only used the remote with the V2.  I have a brand new TFS unit that I have yet to even open.  I can't imagine that it would be any better than using the remote.

2 - I like to think I walk pretty fast as I can keep up with my buddies in their riding cart.  The V2 has five "speeds."  For me speed "3" is just a little too slow and speed "4" is a little too fast.  If I wanted to jog the course I'd run the unit on speed "5."

3 - Extra storage depends on your cart and golf bag selection.  I have the Rovic, but I have added a Bag Boy storage "bag" under the handle, and have added a Sun Mountain mesh "throw bag" between the "wheels" of the cart.  I can't imagine what else I'd need.

4 - I played with the Rovic before I got the V2 and I thought I was going to have trouble with the smaller front wheel because when I was pushing it I'd always get it caught on a root or something.  Since having the V2, I have yet to catch the front on anything.  I can't imagine trying to use the V2 without some sort of swiveling front wheel(s).

5 - The Rovic has the standard umbrella holder that Clic-gear/Rovic provide.  I have added an extension to raise the umbrella a little.  The stock holder is too short.

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2021 at 11:34 AM, cfmgolf said:

OP - EWheels has a very good facebook group that you can join and get quite a bit of info from current users.  If price is not an issue, you might want to look at the Stewart.  I did a little research on all of these late last fall and while in the $2500 range, it does rate very well.  Not sure which ones they have in the US though.  

Could you share the name of the FB group?  I just searched and couldn't find it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll share my quick impressions after using the ewheels v2.  I played 18 with the ewheels v2 and my Clic Gear cart with a fixed front wheel.  At first, I hated using the remote.  I didn't like the inconvenience of using the remote near the green or teebox; I'd rather just push it around manually.  If there was a single press button to disable the motor, that would be be nice.  After 3 holes, I tried the TFS and it was AMAZING.  Walking without worrying about the cart is really relaxing.  Also, I would hold onto the tether with my hand around the greens and it was a lot easier to control that way.

I bought 2 units; one for myself and one for my mom (75 yrs old).  Based on the effort to setup and tear down each round, the fact that there are 3 things that need to be charged (TFS, remote, main unit), and the difficulty to maneuver the cart manually, I'm going to get the MGI for her.  Or maybe another unit.  For myself, I don't mind dealing with all that so I'm sticking with the v2.