2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

10 Club Setup - Iron & Loft recommendations

Mikee_j

Hi people, need some advice and suggestions.

I’m keen to build a second Sunday bag setup with 10 clubs max. The top of the bag will be driver and 2 iron (the 2 iron could be replaced with a 3 wood or 5 wood or dropped to reduce number of clubs depending on course), with the bottom of the bag being 58 degree lob, 52 degree gap wedges and a putter.

Which means there are 5 clubs which needs to fill the middle. Probably makes sense to have a PW at a more traditional 46 degrees giving a constant 6 degree change through the wedges, but what happens after that?

Also, I’ve got the option of either ordering custom new irons to fit the middle of the bag, but can odd irons be ordered?

I plan to go full time with the reduced 10 club set and then use my main 14 club setup if I’m using a cart or a comp.

Thanks all

Edited by Mikee_j

• Mikee_j changed the title to 10 Club Setup - Iron & Loft recommendations

Not sure what the point of settling on 10 is for a full time bag.  I get going to a minimalist type bag for sh1ts and giggles, but to do it full time or for most of your rounds does not seem practical.  That being said, if you are dead set on doing so....5 and/or 6* loft separation with you irons will get you there or very close.

4 minutes ago, ode said:

Not sure what the point of settling on 10 is for a full time bag.  I get going to a minimalist type bag for sh1ts and giggles, but to do it full time or for most of your rounds does not seem practical.  That being said, if you are dead set on doing so....5 and/or 6* loft separation with you irons will get you there or very close.

The last sentence was all you needed, thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mikee_j said:

I’m keen to build a second Sunday bag setup with 10 clubs max. The top of the bag will be driver and 2 iron (the 2 iron could be replaced with a 3 wood or 5 wood or dropped to reduce number of clubs depending on course), with the bottom of the bag being 58 degree lob, 52 degree gap wedges and a putter.

Which means there are 5 clubs which needs to fill the middle. Probably makes sense to have a PW at a more traditional 46 degrees giving a constant 6 degree change through the wedges, but what happens after that?

Also, I’ve got the option of either ordering custom new irons to fit the middle of the bag, but can odd irons be ordered?

I plan to go full time with the reduced 10 club set and then use my main 14 club setup if I’m using a cart or a comp.

Thanks all

My Sunday bag is set up with 9 clubs: driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 3/5/7/9 irons, SW, putter

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

To those who have suggested using either odd or evens on the irons, I’ve done this to date when taking 10 or less clubs, which has been fine other than there being an 8 degree gap in lofts which gives a big yardage difference.

my thinking is to build something more custom having a consistent 5 or 6 degrees loft between clubs, which basically means building ‘half irons’.

for example:

58 standard wedge

52 standard wedge

46 standard PW

40 degree 8 or 9 iron 

34 degree standard 7 iron

makes sense..? Build the 8/9 iron 40 degree club creates a better blend through the set.

Edited by Mikee_j
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mikee_j said:

Thanks all

If it were me, I’d go:

Driver

5 wood

4 iron (maybe on the more forgiving side)

6-8-W

52-58

Putter

9 clubs, all major gaps covered, and I bet your scores do not change!

Cheers,

drn92

12 minutes ago, drn92 said:

If it were me, I’d go:

Driver

5 wood

4 iron (maybe on the more forgiving side)

6-8-W

52-58

Putter

9 clubs, all major gaps covered, and I bet your scores do not change!

Cheers,

drn92

swap the 5 wood for the 2 iron and that’s what I’ve played a lot this year. Scoring stays the same, you don’t need 14 clubs to score well.

what I’m thinking about now is a more permanent 9 or 10 club set with more consistent iron loft gapping that the 8 degree difference you get with using odds or evens from a traditional set 

Driver, 4 wood, 4 hybrid, 6 IRON, 7 IRON, 8 IRON, 9 IRON, 50 DEGREE WEDGE, 56 DEGREE WEDGE, PUTTER?

Without knowing how far you hit your clubs, its hard to say which would be best for you, but for my swing and distance gaps, this would allow me to play badly without blaming the clubs for my awful score.

• Like 1

Love this thread.. ..

Been playing a 10 club set for years as I'm an old guy and walk most of the time.

If you hit driver 250 and a 5wd\long iron or hybrid 175-200 yds, you're hitting 2 in to par 4 and 3 into par 5's. I can appreciate the math and gapping route but these two clubs and a 6-sw  + putter get you there easily. 

And for those that snob up the " you need 14 clubs period " nonsense.

Check a little golf history.... long time ago the famous Bobby Jones got his rear handed to him by Chick Evans at the Western Open.

Chick had 7 clubs in his bag and Jones had ...... 22 clubs in his bag.

• Like 3

It’s fun, and good practice, to mix it up - I often play off the front tees with my son, with nothing longer than a 6 iron in the bag, or leave my driver out, or play with only 1 wedge. It makes you practice all sorts of different shots from spots on the course you don’t often see. It totally changed how I play 2 or 3 of the holes on my home course (there are a couple of holes where I used to try and get as close to the green as possible, and often end up in trouble, but now hit an iron to a spot when I know I can throw a controlled wedge at the flag with zero risk off the tee).

I also found out from playing speed golf that playing 18 in less than an hour with 5 clubs only cost me about 10 shots - it is very freeing to know that you don’t have to worry about hitting a soft 6, or a choked down 8, when all you have is a 7 iron....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikee_j said:

swap the 5 wood for the 2 iron and that’s what I’ve played a lot this year. Scoring stays the same, you don’t need 14 clubs to score well.

what I’m thinking about now is a more permanent 9 or 10 club set with more consistent iron loft gapping that the 8 degree difference you get with using odds or evens from a traditional set 

I went with:

Driver

7 wood

5-7-9-Gap

Putter

for most of my rounds over the last two years and my handicap is the same. 8 clubs and very easy to walk and carry. 

drn92

• Like 1

Do you play the same course all the time or is this a bag that you’re going to take different courses?

I have a short set that I play at my club and while it doesn’t necessarily cover every yardage, it covers every shot I need through a full round there. It’s a short and tight course, with a premium on short irons, wedge play and well placed tee shots. 

My setup is:

Driver

18* Driving Iron

4, 7, 8, 9 

GW, SW, LW

Putter

Edited by MPAndreassi
  • Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

3 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

Do you play the same course all the time or is this a bag that you’re going to take different courses?

I have a short set that I play at my club and while it doesn’t necessarily cover every yardage, it covers every shot I need through a full round there. It’s a short and tight course, with a premium on short irons, wedge play and well placed tee shots. 

My setup is:

Driver

18* Driving Iron

4, 7, 8, 9 

GW, SW, LW

Putter

lots of different courses.

I can swap out the 2 iron with a 3 wood or 5 wood if needed, but I’ve played 58/52/46 wedges for a long time now and that covers me up to 140 yards.

4 hours ago, 14max said:

10* driver

16* wood

22* hybrid

28* iron

34* iron

40* iron

46* wedge

52* wedge

58* wedge

putter

Just was gonna say. 6* gaps. Or there about. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Yes! This, although switch the hybrid for an iron.

Now where do I find irons at those lofts..? Custom order?

I wouldn't overthink it.  If your current set doesn't fit this perfectly just pick the 10 closest clubs, that's the point of playing a minimist set, just go by feel.  Just use those gaps as a point of reference, for example the gap between your woods or hybrids and irons could be smaller, while the gap between your wedges might be bigger.  Or just pick the even numbered irons.  

Driver

5 wood, lofted down

2 iron/hybrid

PW

SW/GAP

LW

Putter

Or if you want to get creative, find a nice used set of forged clubs on ebay and have them bent to the specs you want just for fun.  

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I honestly think you should go 8 clubs.

Driver

FW wood

Long iron/hybrid

6,8,PW,SW,Putter

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Yes! This, although switch the hybrid for an iron.

Now where do I find irons at those lofts..? Custom order?

Since I'm a PING fan, I was thinking you could get i210s in the following specs: 28* 5 (retro spec), 34* 7 (1* weak), and 40* 9 (power spec).  Then, you could go with Glide 3.0s in 46* SS, 52* SS, and 58 (ES, TS, WS, or SS).  It'll also allow you to spec out the lengths and swingweights to make them work for you.

Edited by 14max
  • Like 1

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

1 hour ago, 14max said:

Since I'm a PING fan, I was thinking you could get i210s in the following specs: 28* 5 (retro spec), 34* 7 (1* weak), and 40* 9 (power spec).  Then, you could go with Glide 3.0s in 46* SS, 52* SS, and 58 (ES, TS, WS, or SS).  It'll also allow you to spec out the lengths and swingweights to make them work for you.

I have g710 irons where I could go 30* 7-9-w-50-56

above the g400 driver-26hybrid referenced above

• Like 1

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

7 hours ago, 14max said:

I already game Mizuno MP20’s, so actually all I need to do is buy a 2 degree stronger 9 iron and a 1.5 degree stronger 6 iron and the set is complete!

Just need to adjust the shaft length slightly longer too and I should be good.

@Mikee_j - Several weeks back I started putting together a 9 club bag and played my first round yesterday with it.  I didn't miss having 14 clubs at all...the only time I found myself indecisive was the final hole when I had to choose between a hard lob wedge (rarely a good idea) or a smooth gap wedge.  I went with 6-7* gaps of Hogan Ft Worth irons I pieced together off of ebay.  Bag consists of:

Taylor Made Original One 13.5*

Exotics CBX 20* Hybrid

Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26*

Hogan Ft Worth 32, 38, 44, 51, 58

Putter

20210103_085043.jpg

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

22 hours ago, Mikee_j said:

Thanks all

You can definitely order clubs one off, so ordering 5 of them shouldn't be much of a challenge... I know Sub70 can do it, so I'm sure the OEMs can handle it.

On the 2 iron front, I'd probably go hybrid or wood instead of a 2 iron... just not a super friendly club and doesn't have a ton of extra utility, which is what you want in a 10 club bag... though if you can hit it off the ground, like it off the tee and can use it for recovery shots, more power to you!

I'd worry less about "what number" and more about gaps... I think you need to look at the courses you play and figure out what distances you usually have, what your wedges cover and what you need... 

210, 190, 170, 150, 130 isn't a bad set of gaps for 5 irons... Figure out what clubs you hit around those distances, and just build it from there.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore