2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone use one model of irons exclusively?

Frisco Kid

I know this is a golf forum where people often go through multiple sets of irons in relatively short periods of time and hey, variety is the spice of life.  But I had heard that Daniel Berger was now a free agent and went back to his 2011 set of irons and was scouring eBay to find as many as he could find (I’m sure other pros have done this as well). I was just curious if there were any folks that have found their “irons for life” and “hoard” multiple sets of that one model?

I’ve recently shelved my PXG 0211s in favor of my back up Nike VR S forged irons that are 8 years old.  They’re not as long and lag behind in tech but they just feel so good and my scores are just as good.  After all the sets I’ve gone through in life, I realize these are my favorite. I just bought another set of Nike on eBay and thinking of selling the PXGs to get more lol.  I may not live long enough to go through 3 or 4 sets but it may be harder to find them in really good condition later since they’re discontinued for 8 years now.

Am i crazy or does this stockpiling sound sensible?

Edited by Frisco Kid

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

Same boat as you

have some of the original Callaway Apex irons (2014) version.

I finally figured out that I hit these as well as everything else I've tried, so I just found a back up set to use when these finally wear out

They actually still look great, so not really sure if I'll ever get around to that backup set lol

• Like 1

Yadi for President

I have four sets of player/MB irons played over 19yrs, collecting dust in the garage plus my 620 series sets purchased in Oct 2019.  I am not big at changing irons because it takes too long to get comfortable again. 

The only thing I do with each set of irons is to have specs broken down, so I can replace them if necessary.  Club-heads are important, but specs of the clubs I am playing are far more important.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 4
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I think its even more popular with the Nike VR Pro Combos and on a smaller scale, the Titleist 735 Chrome edition. These were the original blended sets that aren't being made. As far as technology, not much has really changed if you hit the center of the club face. Its not unusual to hear of a pro going back to a favorite set of clubs or club like Berger or even when Koepka put an old SM4 lob back in the bag. If you love your VRs, then play them. They are solid clubs. 

Personally, I have had 4 sets in the last 30 years. Hogan Edge for 2 years, TA 845s for 16, 735 CMs for 12, and now the 718 AP2s. I find what I like and stick with them. It takes a while to get new clubs dialed in with lofts and feels, and to be honest I know that I could could pick up those 845s and not miss a beat. Except for the 2 iron, that was retired a long time ago. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

Thanks for the replies, I guess I was trying to justify 3-4 sets of the same irons ha!!!

Edited by Frisco Kid

PXG 0211 5-LW
OUUL Gator cart bag

I’m playing T100S and this is the best fit of irons I’ve ever had. I’m going to collect another set or two to keep as a just in case option. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

No, I like having different gear too much to bother having multiple sets of the of the same irons or woods.  Only thing that I will have 2 of will be a Yes Abbie Forged that I will be picking up shortly.  

• Like 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Well I really like my S56's and plan on playing them for a long time. See no need to stockpile though, irons last essentially forever!

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

15 hours ago, Frisco Kid said:

Am i crazy or does this stockpiling sound sensible?

I don't think you're crazy.  While gear junkies may have an interest in equipment development, they also can really appreciate standout models.  I think you'll find that cult classics such as MP-32's and Z745s in good condition sell quickly just because so many people loved those models.

• Like 1

I've often had an exclusively Ping bag with the most common deviation then toward different putters.

I'm playing around with an all PXG bag for when the snow goes away - was surprised to find how much I enjoyed the Bat Attack putter - that was a dice roll for sure, but its awesome.  The wedges are my next question and indoor basement work has been positive too far.  I've hit the irons and bigger clubs in sims before but not actual play so another dice roll - maybe - the 0311Ps looks very much like the Ping i210s at address, which isn't surprises I guess since the PXG guy involved in that product came from Ping and the i210 team I think.

The Ping bag is g15 driver - now making room for G410 plus, G410 3W, G400 5W, G400 2/3 Hybrids, I210 3-UW, Ping glide 3.0 SW and LW.  But it has a Toulon Seattle custom head putter that I might stick a ping sticker on 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThreeBoxers said:

I don't think you're crazy.  While gear junkies may have an interest in equipment development, they also can really appreciate standout models.  I think you'll find that cult classics such as MP-32's and Z745s in good condition sell quickly just because so many people loved those models.

For whatever reason, I keep falling back to my Ping G15 driver - can't explain it.  So given that pattern I accumulated 6 10.5 degree versions and 4 9 degree versions since they don't make them anymore - just in case 😉 So I don't think you're crazy, although I may be .....

For this i'm now messing around with a connex adaptor kit to swap shafts in the G15s - which seems either really stupid or bordering on brilliant ...

• Like 2

One set I keep going back to is the Ping s55.  There’s something about these irons that just fit my eyes.  They’re smaller in profile but pretty playable for a wide range of players.  The set is cast, but Ping designed it so that it doesn’t feel too harsh. And may I add they’re built like tanks!

• Like 2
[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

18 hours ago, Frisco Kid said:

Thanks for the replies, I guess I was trying to justify 3-4 sets of the same irons ha!!!

If you're a skilled amateur, and travel to play tournaments, having backup sets of the same clubs may make sense.  I have a backup set.  But, if you're not a seriously good golfer and tournament player, I don't see the reasoning.  But I don't have to see the reasoning, it's your money do what you want and your S.O. will OK. 

My bar is full of single malts, and have four bottles of the same Macallan 12yr - .. LOL 

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

1 hour ago, Sniperman said:

One set I keep going back to is the Ping s55.  There’s something about these irons that just fit my eyes.  They’re smaller in profile but pretty playable for a wide range of players.  The set is cast, but Ping designed it so that it doesn’t feel too harsh. And may I add they’re built like tanks!

If only I had a Mr. Peabody way back machine.... and not sold those irons as well. Solid iron. Probably one of the best Ping's ever.

For those not so enlightened by childhood cartoons.

image.png.7b928d482f6bb96ba29dc5b4b1d4fd20.png

Edited by gripandrip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

If you're a skilled amateur, and travel to play tournaments, having backup sets of the same clubs may make sense.  I have a backup set.  But, if you're not a seriously good golfer and tournament player, I don't see the reasoning.  But I don't have to see the reasoning, it's your money do what you want and your S.O. will OK. 

My bar is full of single malts, and have four bottles of the same Macallan 12yr - .. LOL 

I’m an 11 cap so not great but I’m ocd on the appearance of my gear.  The set is getting pretty beat and starting to get browning on the wedges so I’d like to get a backup set or two as they’re getting harder to find in excellent condition.

• Like 1

PXG 0211 5-LW
OUUL Gator cart bag

how many years did Freddy Couples plays those Bridgestone DPC's? At least ten. 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I have 2 x backup sets of Srixon ZTX2S in identical specs. My clubs have grass ranges and I hit a lot of balls, or I did until Covid!

The best thing is being to have one set in the UK and keep the others stateside. For the foreseeable I’m trapped in the UK but normally bounce between with work. 

The only question mark is whether the 765/565 combo set I have acquired manages to bench them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DaveMc82 said:

I have 2 x backup sets of Srixon ZTX2S in identical specs.

Pro players who have found "the model" of irons often have multiple sets they can bring out.

As for me, I played MacGregor MT forged blades (1971 flatsole model) from 1974 to 1994, followed by Pro Tour Black (Eye2 clones) component irons from 1994-2008. Shifted to Callaway, played X20s briefly and switched to X20 Tours from 2011 to 2018. Since then CB Pros in sig line.

TM SLDRs (2014) in my back up bag - did a product review and got to keep them... SLDRs are an excellent iron model if you can find a set.

I played a few months with Nike Vapor Speed irons; these were the only custom-build after fitting set, and sadly didn't work out because Nike botched the build.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Not exactly an iron set, but I only play OG Ping Glide wedges with stock Ping CFS Wedge shaft. I have 52SS, 54SS, 56SS, 58 SS, 58 WS, 58 TS, and 60 ES. 

I have stockpiled 4 of the 58 WS because it is my security blanket.  

I adjust which ones I use a little bit throughout the year. Because they are all in the same family I can do so easily without missing a beat. 

If anyone has a 50 or 46, or 58 WS they will part with, let me know 😉

• Like 1

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I could understand why a tour pro might do this, but for amateurs who are always trying to get better and play the game recreationally, we'll always chase that magic pill combination of equipment that suits our swing and allows us to play the best golf of our lives.  Once we find it, we'll always wonder if there is something marginally better out there, and into the rabbit hole we go.

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Like 1

I bought my Ping Zing 2's in '97 and just replaced them with a set of Nike Vapor Pro Combos I got a couple months back.

I love these irons and they were pretty cheap. I would like to try the other Nike combos, might get them if I can find them.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I have 2-3 total backup items of everything in my bag, and been playing the same bag-makeup for 3yrs now, the exception being putter and wedges. Your rationale is not flawed, get going on your sets!

• Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Not crazy.  Trying out new clubs is fun.  But playing consistent golf involves limiting the # of variables.  Same clubs/shafts/specs will go a long way towards that.

I'm always on the lookout for backup sets of MP-54s.  And if they have X100s in them, even better...

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

11 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

Not crazy.  Trying out new clubs is fun.  But playing consistent golf involves limiting the # of variables.  Same clubs/shafts/specs will go a long way towards that.

I'm always on the lookout for backup sets of MP-54s.  And if they have X100s in them, even better...

This was my thought process. I never used to play more than a round a year if that until last summer. I decided newer clubs were in order and I wanted something I could work. I did a ton of research and these just happened at the right time.

Being a lefty limits my options. It's not like I can hit the clubs of most folks I play with. So it's usually a commitment for me.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray