Anyone use one model of irons exclusively?

I met WRXer Sam-Tee-Time at a demo day 14 years ago.  We've played a zillion rounds together over the years.  When I met him he had just moved from Hogan Apex Edge irons to TourStage Z101s and swore they were the best iron he's ever played.  I've lost count of how many iron sets I've had in the bag and he still has the Z101s.  He bought 2 backup sets and a partial set to use for practice.

I ended up playing PINGs for most of the time we've played together.   But I went through ISIs, i5s, i20s, G25 while he still had the Z101s. I had Hogan Apex Edge's when we met.  (Off the top of my head I remember owning, Mizuno MZX-23, Cleveland TA5, Cleveland TA6s, Wishon 560s, Mizuno JPX Forged.)  I'm 100% Srixon after getting my 565s a couple of years ago, and am already looking at the ZV5s.....

Edited by mantan
  • Like 1

WITB (as of 11/14/20)
PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon Z565 5-PW
Cleveland CBX 2 50*
Cleveland CBX 2 54*
Cleveland CBX Full Face 58*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Srixon Z-Star

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two months ago I met a guy who joined our 3some who told me he has 3 identical sets from Driver to putter that he keeps at each of his 3 houses. He said down to the grips, lofts, and lies they are all

I have four sets of player/MB irons played over 19yrs, collecting dust in the garage plus my 620 series sets purchased in Oct 2019.  I am not big at changing irons because it takes too long to get com

For whatever reason, I keep falling back to my Ping G15 driver - can't explain it.  So given that pattern I accumulated 6 10.5 degree versions and 4 9 degree versions since they don't make them anymor

Posted Images

On 1/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, TourSpoon said:

I think its even more popular with the Nike VR Pro Combos and on a smaller scale, the Titleist 735 Chrome edition. These were the original blended sets that aren't being made. As far as technology, not much has really changed if you hit the center of the club face. Its not unusual to hear of a pro going back to a favorite set of clubs or club like Berger or even when Koepka put an old SM4 lob back in the bag. If you love your VRs, then play them. They are solid clubs. 

Personally, I have had 4 sets in the last 30 years. Hogan Edge for 2 years, TA 845s for 16, 735 CMs for 12, and now the 718 AP2s. I find what I like and stick with them. It takes a while to get new clubs dialed in with lofts and feels, and to be honest I know that I could could pick up those 845s and not miss a beat. Except for the 2 iron, that was retired a long time ago. 

I purchased Titleist 735 cm 2-PW in 2005, and really liked the manner in which they blended the set.  Unfortunately, the 735 cm long irons had pronounced cavity backs designed in such a way, they were difficult to work without giving full attention.  Getting use to a set of irons is one thing, having to pay attention to certain attributes to make my shots does not work for me.  They were sold after about a year.  

I like blending different heads, but attributes must be similar.  Titleist got it right with the 620 series.  They purposely designed the CBs to play very similarly to the MBs.  I have both sets and a blend of irons in the bag.  Together they feel amazing and look incredibly similar at setup, I only have to concern myself with make the shot.   The CB design allows me to work them in the same manner as I do with MBs. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 TENSEI AV White AM(2) "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX
18 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I purchased Titleist 735 cm 2-PW in 2005, and really liked the manner in which they blended them the set.  Unfortunately, the 735 cm long irons had pronounced cavity backs designed in such a way, they were difficult to work without giving full my attention.  Getting use to a set of irons is one thing, having to pay attention to certain attributes to make my shots does not work for me.  They were sold after about a year.  

The set broke 3-4 cavity, 5-7 mid cavity, 8-P blade. I would have preferred 3-6 mid and 7-P blade, but I never really thought about it while playing. I didn't work my long irons too much but I loved the bladed scoring clubs. They were quite the step up from the 845s. 

Cobra F9 9* Evenflow White 6.0, F9 Tour Fairway 13.5* Evenflow White 6.0 

Adams Idea Pro Gold 18* 2H Matrix Ozik Altus 

Titleist 718 AP2 4-P DG AMT S300, Vokey SM7 50/8*, 54/10*, 58/10*, S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1