Ping G425 irons (in-hand photos)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just an update. I've been practicing a bit from grass with my new G245s, as opposed to range mat. With ordinary balls and a bit milder temperature (about 50 degrees), I no longer think about th

That's what every OEM does unless they design a separate model like the Titleist T100S. You're the first person I've heard say they are ugly at address. Name a better looking iron at address in the sa

Hit a 7 iron today at the PGA Superstore.    I was surprised on how good they look for a G series iron, most are big old shovels and these are anything but. They are about the same profile a

Posted Images

Hit a 7 iron today at the PGA Superstore. 

I was surprised on how good they look for a G series iron, most are big old shovels and these are anything but. They are about the same profile as the i210, obviously more offset and they are longer heel to toe but surprisingly compact as well. 

First impressions, they are stupid long and high launching. Spin was on the lower end compared to the i210 but with the higher launch and good decent angle I don't think there would be any issue stopping the ball. 

Sound was very clicky on miss hit's but when centered sounded great. Speaking of miss hit's, crazy forgiving, not losing much distance. 

I think these are going to be a huge hit for a lot of mid and high handicaps. Heck, I know a ton of low caps that play the i210's that would probably love the 425's as well. 

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Hit a 7 iron today at the PGA Superstore. 

I was surprised on how good they look for a G series iron, most are big old shovels and these are anything but. They are about the same profile as the i210, obviously more offset and they are longer heel to toe but surprisingly compact as well. 

First impressions, they are stupid long and high launching. Spin was on the lower end compared to the i210 but with the higher launch and good decent angle I don't think there would be any issue stopping the ball. 

Sound was very clicky on miss hit's but when centered sounded great. Speaking of miss hit's, crazy forgiving, not losing much distance. 

I think these are going to be a huge hit for a lot of mid and high handicaps. Heck, I know a ton of low caps that play the i210's that would probably love the 425's as well. 

I have the G700's, they feel lighter than my G-25's with a steel shaft even tho they supposedly are the same weight, maybe I should have had heavier graphite shafts,,,, the distance and height is great, just cant seem to get over the weight and the sound they make!

What did you think of the weight/feel?

10 minutes ago, Joe Mannix said:

I need to check these out....as someone who's PW is 48 degrees, I am thrilled about the retro lofts.  Stupid question....surely they do not actually "bend" these option irons after manufacturing them all in one standard loft, do they?  Please tell me that they are manufactured correctly in the alternative lofts.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say casting so many different heads is cost prohibitive. Bending irons, on the other hand, is quick, easy and likely the way a mass production custom company must go. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Joe Mannix said:

thanks for the quick reply....bending them really messes with the intended bounce, so I'm not to warm on the idea of having that done....and if they are bending by hand, how patient are they to bend them all exactly 2 degrees?

Don’t you think it would be a good idea to hit these first, then worry about whether you need the loft adjusted 2* weak?

I just don’t understand the thought process here.

You’re looking to buy a set that for over 20 years has been well known for it’s forgiveness, distance and high, straight ball flight. 

Yet you want it to go higher and shorter? If that 48* PW is that important to you (God knows why...), maybe just look for a set that has one? There are plenty of them out there I’d imagine.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max 10.5* Cypher 5.0

Titleist TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage R

Titleist TS2 19* & 21* Kuro Kage R

PXG 0211 5-G MMT 70

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F & 58M

Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.0

Titleist Hybrid 5 or Sun Mountain 2.5+

10 hours ago, Joe Mannix said:

thanks for the quick reply....bending them really messes with the intended bounce, so I'm not to warm on the idea of having that done....and if they are bending by hand, how patient are they to bend them all exactly 2 degrees?

Yes snd no. Depends on the designed intended bounce.  Could be that they are designed neutral and the two extremes ( power spec snd retro ) don’t have a huge change seen.     I doubt highly that they are designed on power spec and then bent to retro.  

my blueprint set was retro -1 for 49 degree pw.  And it played just fine.  

Edited by bladehunter

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw   modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

10 hours ago, john myrbch said:

Don’t you think it would be a good idea to hit these first, then worry about whether you need the loft adjusted 2* weak?

You’re looking to buy a set that for over 20 years has been well known for it’s forgiveness, distance and high, straight ball flight. 

Yet you want it to go higher and shorter? If that 48* PW is that important to you (God knows why...), maybe just look for a set that has one? There are plenty of them out there I’d imagine.

He may just be using the pw as a pw.   If you use it around the greens loft matters. It’s a huge adjustment to go from pitching with a 48 degree club to one THats say 42. Entirely different actions.  

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw   modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

3 hours ago, BCULAW said:

Curious if anyone has demoed these now that the samples are out. How do they compare to the G410s?  I’m assuming they are similar, but does anything about the performance, feel, etc. stand out as an improvement?

I'm planning on doing a comparison here in the next few days between all the PING irons. Will post SkyTrak screenshot of averages and answer any questions. I'll start a new thread for it in the equipment forum.

• Like 1

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

9 minutes ago, GolfMonster09 said:

I'm planning on doing a comparison here in the next few days between all the PING irons. Will post SkyTrak screenshot of averages and answer any questions. I'll start a new thread for it in the equipment forum.

So, I just went and hit the two heads at lunch with the identical demo shaft. I was seeing a noticeably higher launch with the 425. It was visibly noticeable off the club face and on the launch monitor. The g410 was launching in the 16.7-18* range, and the 425 was launching in the 18-19* range. It will benefit many, but I’m not comfortable with it. I’ll likely stick to the 410s even though the 425s look outstanding. 

14 hours ago, john myrbch said:

Different strokes for different folks is what comes to mind. My irons are bent weak. No shame in hitting a pitching wedge for 120 yards. 

17 hours ago, Joe Mannix said:

Directly from the PING website:

• Club bounce angles will vary slightly if ordered with non-standard loft specs.

https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/irons/g425

3 hours ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

Different strokes for different folks is what comes to mind. My irons are bent weak. No shame in hitting a pitching wedge for 120 yards. 

No, I get that. There are reasons people add or take loft off a club.

What I didn’t understand was him wanting to weaken the loft of a club he hadn’t even hit yet.

Edited by john myrbch
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Max 10.5* Cypher 5.0

Titleist TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage R

Titleist TS2 19* & 21* Kuro Kage R

PXG 0211 5-G MMT 70

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F & 58M

Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.0

Titleist Hybrid 5 or Sun Mountain 2.5+

Went for a Shaft fitting for my P790s but while there after finding a good shaft hit the G425 and T300s. But G425 was swung with stock AWT shaft, the rest were Nippon 950 Neos. Not apples to apples but all irons had 166 total. But G425 had a 141 carry and 166 total, 16.5 launch, 32 descent angle, 5,000 spin. Weird numbers. 

T300 and P790 carried the same, 157, and rolled out the same 167. But T300 launched 21.4, descended 43.9, but spin was 5k. P790 launched at 17.7 and descended at 41.2, with 6k spin fitter like the dissent Ingle better on the Chi 300 but I am not sure about that spin.   

I am not opposed to  using shovels and lols were never important to me, but the G425 was noticeably big, as I’ve used the P790 for a while. Compared to a shove they are slimmer. I could see the cavity on the 7i as I set up. I do forward press just a little 

4 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

Directly from the PING website:

• Club bounce angles will vary slightly if ordered with non-standard loft specs.

https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/irons/g425

I would assume that that pertains to custom lofts outside the standard, power and retro loft options. Even with so many loft options folks still get things tweaked a bit.

These look nice, but I'm excited to see what's replacing the i210 and iBlade models.

Lots going on with this iron.. the G410 was a pretty clean and classic looking iron. This one seems like they tried to pack every known tech into it..

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

10 hours ago, BCULAW said:

So, I just went and hit the two heads at lunch with the identical demo shaft. I was seeing a noticeably higher launch with the 425. It was visibly noticeable off the club face and on the launch monitor. The g410 was launching in the 16.7-18* range, and the 425 was launching in the 18-19* range. It will benefit many, but I’m not comfortable with it. I’ll likely stick to the 410s even though the 425s look outstanding. 

But the real question is what was your peak height? Was there any difference?

$$$$

22 minutes ago, easyyy said:

Good question. Michael Newton was getting some good numbers. I like the more compact heel to toe. They look awesome with that silver and black.

I play i210 7-U. I play G700 5-7. If the G425 hit the same peak height or more and feel better, I would dump the G700 for them. 

$$$$

9 minutes ago, Olddoncarlo said:

I really like the look of these, but none of the shafts on PING website were attractive to me.

Isn't there a .pdf somewhere with ALL shaft options??

I’m sure there is a pdf but I use TGW’s website. Go to G425 irons and click on customize. The shafts come up in a pop up box along with the charge for each.