Ping G425 irons (in-hand photos)

BAlberstadt

Our club pro finally received the fitting heads this week so I'll be getting fit (lockdown variations permitting) in the next week or two. 

The G425s look incredible and will probably be replacing my 919 HM Pros. I'm hanging onto my 919 Forged for the time being. I had planned on holding onto both until the 923s come out in a few years because I've enjoyed them so much but the looks and preliminary reviews of the 425s have tempted me. 

I'm interested to see what specs I get fit into as my swing and overall game has moved on considerably in the last 12 months. My only major concern with the 425s is the launch/trajectory because I went for fittings for the G, GMAX and i200s over the years and all of them went into orbit, even with various shafts I just couldn't get a combination that gave me what I wanted to see. The overall carry distances were thereabouts and dispersion was good but after trying them in the course it was clear missing short was going to be an ongoing issue. 

So I was wondering what people's initial experiences are with the G425s, how you've found the ball flights and how the wedges (W and U) are in terms of playability around the greens? The reason I ask about the wedges is I currently use the T20 46, 51 and 56 and obviously they're very versatile and won't necessarily blend well visually with the 425s. So I would consider getting the set W&U and/or picking up a couple of glide wedges.

As always when I'm settled on a bag invariably something really takes my fancy. Any information/feedback much appreciated. 

Anyone know of any places to get a deal on these? I know Ping deals are hard to come by but I’m just curious. Thanks!

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

2 hours ago, bryanwmilburn said:

Anyone know of any places to get a deal on these? I know Ping deals are hard to come by but I’m just curious. Thanks!

You won't find any discounts on new Ping irons anywhere.

Edited by braincramp52

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Wish standard PX was a stock offering. Thinking that would be the shaft for me to help lower that launch. However - that 4 iron offset is quite substantial. Was looking at going 5-Pw so hope 5 isn’t as bad!

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

4 hours ago, bryanwmilburn said:

Wish standard PX was a stock offering. Thinking that would be the shaft for me to help lower that launch. However - that 4 iron offset is quite substantial. Was looking at going 5-Pw so hope 5 isn’t as bad!

Maybe go for power specs to lower launch and play U wedge as your PW

16 minutes ago, gticlay said:

Wow, those are incredibly ugly at address.  To the guy asking about bounce and retro loft - Ping just bends them weak and after the i200's no longer will do the bounce grind to make them play as designed.  It's sad but true.

That's what every OEM does unless they design a separate model like the Titleist T100S. You're the first person I've heard say they are ugly at address. Name a better looking iron at address in the same category as the G425. They look pretty damn compact for a iron that forgiving. 

• Like 4

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

15 hours ago, gticlay said:

Wow, those are incredibly ugly at address.  To the guy asking about bounce and retro loft - Ping just bends them weak and after the i200's no longer will do the bounce grind to make them play as designed.  It's sad but true.

Are you very familiar with Ping? These are the best looking G series irons they have made, and it really isn’t close. I’d say most everyone’s opinions that have been shared have felt the same including the reviews by all the typical YouTube club guys, (TXG, Newton, Shiels,Crossfield). Past models were complete shovels. Just curious if you play game improvement irons? 

• Like 2

Yeah, sorry guys.  I shouldn't have even commented.  The last GI irons I had were either i3 O-size or the Callaway X-14 steelheads.  I'm still playing i3 blades (lower offset semi-GI), along with some other ironsets.  I have a set of Eye2's that I played a bit last summer and enjoy the look of those even if it's a but funky with the hi-toe etc.

I'm not gonna delete the comment or anything, but I guess the extremely high offset combined with what looks to be a somewhat closed face (some high offset irons do not have a closed face), plus the low face height and long blade just combine into something that I didn't appreciate the ways others have.  They literally look to me like something is wrong with them when I look at the pictures.  They do look cool in the bag though, I really like the graphics they put on them.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 11:59 AM, JonnyKrasnodar said:

Our club pro finally received the fitting heads this week so I'll be getting fit (lockdown variations permitting) in the next week or two. 

The G425s look incredible and will probably be replacing my 919 HM Pros. I'm hanging onto my 919 Forged for the time being. I had planned on holding onto both until the 923s come out in a few years because I've enjoyed them so much but the looks and preliminary reviews of the 425s have tempted me. 

I'm interested to see what specs I get fit into as my swing and overall game has moved on considerably in the last 12 months. My only major concern with the 425s is the launch/trajectory because I went for fittings for the G, GMAX and i200s over the years and all of them went into orbit, even with various shafts I just couldn't get a combination that gave me what I wanted to see. The overall carry distances were thereabouts and dispersion was good but after trying them in the course it was clear missing short was going to be an ongoing issue. 

So I was wondering what people's initial experiences are with the G425s, how you've found the ball flights and how the wedges (W and U) are in terms of playability around the greens? The reason I ask about the wedges is I currently use the T20 46, 51 and 56 and obviously they're very versatile and won't necessarily blend well visually with the 425s. So I would consider getting the set W&U and/or picking up a couple of glide wedges.

As always when I'm settled on a bag invariably something really takes my fancy. Any information/feedback much appreciated. 

Demoed the G425s for several days the last couple of weeks. With my slower swing speed , I carry my G710 seven iron 150+, with the G425 I was a fairly consistent, ten yards shorter. I was walking away from the GC quad confident as to keeping my 710s until the person helping me asked me to look at the screen. You could literally throw a hula hoop (boomer talk) around the landing dispersion areas. Literally straight as a string. Damn! To not lose my distance, I thought of ordering power-spec. Has anyone here done Power Spec with their G410s? If so, how did it affect them?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sharkiesj said:

Just ordered me some 425 irons with a side of Ping swag.  6-PW Project X LZ 5.5 red dot (request all irons swingweight at D2) thru discount dan’s.  They quoted me middle/late Feb before these ship out.  

I wonder if the shafts aren’t holding up the order a bit. I ordered mine on 1/13 with the same LZ 5.5’s and have an estimated ship date of 2/22 when others ordering at the same time and after were told they’d receive around launch day. Not a big deal, not playing much or any golf here in PA in Feb. 

2 hours ago, mooseman76 said:

I wonder if the shafts aren’t holding up the order a bit. I ordered mine on 1/13 with the same LZ 5.5’s and have an estimated ship date of 2/22 when others ordering at the same time and after were told they’d receive around launch day. Not a big deal, not playing much or any golf here in PA in Feb. 

yeah I was kinda surprised when he said middle/end of Feb, esp since I’m only ordering 5 irons. Oh well, wouldn’t do any good to complain so I’m just gonna wait it out. I only play once every 2-3 months anyways so no biggie.  

On 1/22/2021 at 3:00 PM, mooseman76 said:

I’m sure there is a pdf but I use TGW’s website. Go to G425 irons and click on customize. The shafts come up in a pop up box along with the charge for each. 

I did go on the TGW website.

I currently play Recoil 95 (F3) in my irons and would like them in the G425.

But when I went to the "customize" button, the Recoil 95 was apparently not offered for the 425.

It was on the custom list for the Glide 3 wedges, however.

How can this be?

9 minutes ago, Olddoncarlo said:

But when I went to the "customize" button, the Recoil 95 was apparently not offered for the 425.

How can this be?

I’m not sure how they determine what is available. You could email discount Dan’s and ask if they are available. If you know all the specs you want let them know

and they give you the price. 

On 2/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, Olddoncarlo said:

How can this be?

The Carl's Golfland website will show you all the shafts available for the G425 irons, including Recoils.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

On 1/26/2021 at 3:35 AM, gticlay said:

Yeah, sorry guys.  I shouldn't have even commented.  The last GI irons I had were either i3 O-size or the Callaway X-14 steelheads.  I'm still playing i3 blades (lower offset semi-GI), along with some other ironsets.  I have a set of Eye2's that I played a bit last summer and enjoy the look of those even if it's a but funky with the hi-toe etc.

I'm not gonna delete the comment or anything, but I guess the extremely high offset combined with what looks to be a somewhat closed face (some high offset irons do not have a closed face), plus the low face height and long blade just combine into something that I didn't appreciate the ways others have.  They literally look to me like something is wrong with them when I look at the pictures.  They do look cool in the bag though, I really like the graphics they put on them.

I play GI's and demoed this against other GI's (T300, Sim Max) and they were also pretty wide at address. I play Hybrids and shovels so I'm not against fat clubs, heck I don't even look for it, but these were extra fat to my eyes to the point I noticed it.

21 hours ago, ssf301 said:

Mine are scheduled to arrive tomorrow 2/9.

Mine are coming Thursday.  Ordered 1/26.  Project X LZ’s.  Going back to steel after some time with graphite.  

Discount Dan’s originally said they won’t ship til end of Feb so this is a pleasant surprise!   

Edited by sharkiesj

• 2 weeks later...

So maybe someone here can answer this 

If the specs on a 8 iron power loft and a 7 iron retro loft are the same (0.5 degree difference) but the 7" iron retro is 1/2" longer....  the question is this. 

If you go with retro but are normally +1/2" in most standard irons, should you then buy these at standard lengths as the length on the G425 retro will be same length as +1/2" in almost any other brand 8 iron ?

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Got to hit these a little yesterday with only the AWT shafts but I will say the feel was a little let down.  I know they are cast but I have owned Pings previously (G30 irons was the most recent) and I gotta say these were just .... Meeehhhhh on feel. 

On the flip side, there were dead straight with incredibly tight dispersion .   I will say the loss of distance on a toe shot was a little more than expected, but not horrible.   May end up waiting the long delivery on i210's . 

G425's are great if you can get along with the feel.  

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

2 minutes ago, RodrigoNicely said:

Hit mine yesterday for the first time project Lz shafts 5-pw. They feel better to me than my i500’s I had. I know feel is very subjective but to me they feel fine. I think ping has done a wonderful job of making a gi iron look compact and clean looking 

The compact look and improved feel over my 710s and 410s is confidence inspiring. Had the best ball striking week of the year and the combo of G425 irons and the forgiveness of the G425 Max, keeping my toe shots in bounds insures that I will be a continued member of the PING Fanboy club for the foreseeable future. Even though the Max best drives are 10+ yards  short of my Speed & Tsi2, I keep more in the fairway and my score reflected it!

• Like 2

Ping G425 Wedges.   Are most of you still using Glide wedges (SW, LW) and not choosing to go with the G425 SW, LW.  One would want consistency, and probably go with the 425's for UW and AW, but what about the sand and lob?     I am probably going to try the 14 demo of the G425's and then demo the Sim2's through UTry through Global Golf to get a real feel.  I hit them in the simulators at Dick's and found the Sim2's to feel heavier all the way through, like a wooden baseball bat feel, and the Ping's to fee more clubhead weighted, which I liked better.  But simulators are just simulators in the cold January weather.  

Curious to know others thoughts on 425's vs. Sim2 and most importantly, your thoughts on the SW and LW.

I have played 2 rounds with mine now and love them.  I have the KBS Tours 110 shafts in them.

Ping G430 10.5, Ventus Red 60
TM 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
TM 7 wood,  Fuji Red TR 70

Ping G430  Hybrid # 22
PXG Gen 6 XP irons 5-GW with MMT 95 shafts

TM M4 54 & 58 Wedges

Odyssey Versa M5  Putter